Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Architect's Tutorial (A hold I made for the architects.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3628
IP: Logged
icon Re: An Architect's Tutorial (0)  
It looks like you've put a required room behind the blue door, so we can't finish your tutorial, unfortunately :?

There's also a couple of spelling mistakes:

1W: "minimslistic" -> minimalistic
"unparralleled" -> unparalleled

Also, I noticed you only used the neutral mood for Beethro. This makes Beethro's "Yay!" sound kind of bitter towards Hartleyhair, which I'm assuming is not your intention :)

Anyway, it was a pretty easy and short tutorial to go through. I didn't have any trouble solving any of the rooms.

08-31-2007 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746

File: Jacobs Tutorial.hold (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
OK, try this one.

08-31-2007 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Yey! More! More! :thumbsup
Thanks, Jacob. Hartleyhair.

08-31-2007 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Chaco wrote:
It looks like you've put a required room behind the blue door, so we can't finish your tutorial, unfortunately :?

There's also a couple of spelling mistakes:

1W: "minimslistic" -> minimalistic
"unparralleled" -> unparalleled

Also, I noticed you only used the neutral mood for Beethro. This makes Beethro's "Yay!" sound kind of bitter towards Hartleyhair, which I'm assuming is not your intention :)

Anyway, it was a pretty easy and short tutorial to go through. I didn't have any trouble solving any of the rooms.

It wasn't meant to be difficult... I'll fix those as soon as I'm on my DROD PC...

08-31-2007 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair

File: Rooms of Puzzlement.hold (5.6 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
Right, done :)

08-31-2007 at 08:05 PM
Jothki
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Jacob, your tutorial messes with the orientation of the eyes a room before it talks about turning them into a puzzle.
09-01-2007 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenferret
Very interesting, VIPCOOL. And don't worry, I already fixed the blue stairs bug in HH's tutorial when I copied it into the compilation.

09-01-2007 at 04:56 PM
hartleyhair
No, but my Hold also had spelling errors. Please use my updated version.

09-01-2007 at 05:22 PM
Jacob
Jothki wrote:
Jacob, your tutorial messes with the orientation of the eyes a room before it talks about turning them into a puzzle.
I'm not particularly concerned about this, but thanks for pointing it out.

09-01-2007 at 06:15 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
hartleyhair wrote:
No, but my Hold also had spelling errors. Please use my updated version.
Just thought I'd mention it that if this goes to promotion with the HAs, spelling mistakes will get checked anyways... we have a way of looking at all the text in a hold without playing it so it's quite a painless process.
09-01-2007 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenferret
No, no, it's about architecture so it stays there. :)

09-02-2007 at 12:24 AM
Chaco
I'd like to know what you found wrong with my tutorial. Did you like the first iteration in Quarce East, where the room was really easy? Did you not like the lighting? Do you think I skipped something in my presentation that I should have addressed?

I think I did a better job than you might be giving me credit for by including my tutorial in a sweeping statement accusing all five tutorials of being terrible. But since you're more qualified to tell me whether my tutorial was useful or not, I'd love to have your feedback. :)

12-26-2007 at 02:10 AM
Chaco
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, there is a lynchpin to Quarce East that I admit I had withheld from the player - and that is that if you stand in the Stalwart's path he is smart enough to pathfind around you, and indeed go southwest/southeast (where his sword, facing some southerly direction, will then start contacting the crumbly walls)

Perhaps I should try something like this again someday.

12-26-2007 at 02:26 AM
Jacob
Nuntar wrote:
Jacob's was the worst offender -- "Here's a widget that does this!" "Yes, but how does it work? How would I come up with an idea like that? What if I need a widget for my room and don't know how to design one? This is meant to be a tutorial, why haven't you helped me?......."

I'm not sure what the offense I'm accused of here is.

I described how I designed a room by improving and elaborating on a simple puzzle (I wouldn't really call it a widget as the first room is a puzzle in its own right - it just wouldn't make for an interesting room as it is).

This is what I set out to do, and in the process I made a series of rooms that work as puzzles in their own right (and are hopefully of some fun to play).

So the value of this, if any, is in giving people ideas on how to expand a simple idea into a more complex and challenging room. It's how I often go about doing that, but obviously it doesn't have to be how anyone else does.

I don't know how I could, or why I should, be expected to teach how to come up with "widgets". My advice for that, since you ask, would be: "Read some of the good documentation on designing rooms found on the site", "Use one of Calamarain's idea generators", "Play existing holds" and/or "Play about with the elements until you find an interesting interaction you can base a puzzle around".

I have no idea what a hold that teaches you how to design widgets would even involve. OK, I haven't helped you, but what exactly do you want?

Finally, where's the fun in explaining how to complete all the rooms?

12-27-2007 at 12:37 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Architect's Tutorial (A hold I made for the architects.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com