Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Hinterlands (Monsters, walls, and the occasional guy with a sword)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.5/10 (8 votes)
σ 1.00
Author Name:Dischorran
Submitted By:Dischorran
Hold Name:Hinterlands
Theme:Monsters, walls, and the occasional guy with a sword
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:77
Number of Monsters:540
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.3)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:200 (+200 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Hinterlands.hold (4.4 MB)
Downloaded 875 times.
License: Other
icon Hinterlands  
The weird thing about the Eighth is that puzzles seem to crop up even in the middle of nowhere.

Jutt's Sandstone style should be installed before playing.

A crack team of testers saw this hold through its alpha and beta forms:
CuriousShyRabbit
mxvladi
noma
Rheb
Trickster
01-16-2012 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Hinterlands (0)  
Ooh! Another Dischorran hold!

I am downloading this right away...

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-16-2012 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Enjoying it so far. Some very clever and impossible-looking puzzles.

I don't think I'll even attempt the secrets just yet though.

01-17-2012 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Hinterlands (+1)  
Just mastered this.

Amazing job on puzzle construction. "Everything looks impossible until it isn't." The secrets were tough; I definitely needed to put them off until the end.

I wish I understood why certain things worked the way they do (I resorted to trial and error to get the solution to Abandoned Warrens 1W, even though I'm sure there's an explanation for how it works) But most of the rooms were clear once the trick was known. Really appreciated how it was possible to go to just about any room from the beginning!

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-29-2012 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Hinterlands (+2)  
I am proud to say I have mastered this hold.

This is another great hold by Dischorran, which initially seems to just be a collection of random puzzles. After I solved the first few easy ones, though, the theme of the hold became abundantly clear - simple looking rooms with one goal that looks impossible at first, but then isn't, if you think about it carefully.

Some rooms, like Steppe 1E, 2S1W and 2N3E can be done with just a bit of fumbling, and the first-time player is likely to find and solve those kinds of rooms first. But there are some puzzles which are essentially impossible to solve without a well-thought-out plan, like Steppe 3N1E, 3N and 2S2W. Rooms of that kind far outnumber the first kind.

If, for some reason, you're a DROD superstar and can manage to beat all 36 devious puzzles, the secret rooms are a serious examination of how well you know the mechanics at hand in the required rooms - if you stumbled on the solution the first time, you'd better shape up and really figure out the room for the second approach. However, don't despair - the rooms are still solvable by us mere mortals. :)

If there was one thing I had to criticize about the hold, and cite as a reason I didn't give the hold a perfect score, it is that since there is such a wide variety of tasks to accomplish, it is inevitable that at least one is going to annoy you, even if you think you can do it. My least favorite rooms in this hold are Steppe 3E and its corresponding secret room, and Steppe 1S1E. This is because I think in these rooms, it's far more difficult to see what will happen ahead of time, and the main difficulty in the room is just figuring out what tactics to use, and what steps will not cause you to fail the room. I felt like these rooms depended required trial and error of a more frustrating and less indicative kind than rooms like Steppe 3N2E or 1N2E, where I managed to at least gain some experience from repeated tries and got closer and closer to winning with each new try.

So, overall, I think this hold is wonderful, and I think it's a shame that not many people have played it yet. Sure, not everybody is going to be able to conquer this hold, but I hope some people can at least go see the beauty these puzzles have, even if some of them are pretty tough. I had a great time playing this hold (even if I complained a bit) and I'm sure many other people have and will too. This is, at heart, a hold that embodies the DROD spirit of solving puzzles.

Good job, Dischorran!

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-15-2012 03:37 AM]
04-15-2012 at 03:37 AM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
icon Re: Hinterlands (+1)  
This hold is a wonderful little collection of unconnected puzzles. The rooms are split roughly half and half between lynchpins and limited-space positioning (mimics and such), with elements running just about the full 3.0 gamut. The layouts are simple and it's always easy to grasp what your goal is, but the difficulty remains surprisingly high most of the time. Expect to feel particularly clever when you do figure out the trick or push that last clone into place. Fortunately you can move through the main level freely so there's no frustration when you run into something initially unfathomable.

Totally worth playing if you have some experience and enjoy small-scale cunning tricks, even if you can't manage to solve everything. Just ... don't expect any aesthetics or story or anything.
06-08-2013 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
OneMoreNameless wrote:
... Just ... don't expect any aesthetics or story or anything.
Well, you know, except for the wonderful original music, composed and performed by the architect.
06-08-2013 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
Panther wrote: Well, you know, except for the wonderful original music, composed and performed by the architect.
Wait, what.

And I didn't even notice the larger file size when I downloaded this. :unsure
06-08-2013 at 06:07 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
OneMoreNameless wrote:
And I didn't even notice the larger file size when I downloaded this. :unsure

The larger file size is probably because the music score sheet is embedded in the hold... if you can find it.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-08-2013 at 06:11 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Hinterlands (Monsters, walls, and the occasional guy with a sword) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com