Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What controls do you use?
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Re: What controls do you use? (0)  
13th Slayer wrote:
eb0ny wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:
here. Arrows-up down left and right. 7-up-left,9-up-right, J-down-left,l-down-right. QW-Sword. R-restart. Backspace-undo.

So, you are keeping one hand on arrow keys, your second hand on 79JL group and... Personally I do not see how this works. I am playing DROD on a stationary PC and I have standard qwerty keyboard, and you have specified three groups of keys.
I keep one hand on arrows,second on QW.I dont often move diagonnally
No,i mean id like to use numpad,but i dont have one on my laptop
10-31-2007 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
o:nw
p:n
]:ne
l:w
;:wait
':e
,:sw
.:s
/:se
q: turn counter-clockwise
w: turn clockwise

I used to play it on a desktop and I felt really awkward if I didn't have movement on the right side of the keyboard. I bought JtRH before I subscribed to an account so I burned it and didn't have the privaledge of any pre-set laptop-friendly controls. Feels completely natural now and couldn't imagine any other way without a keypad.

11-02-2007 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
This controls are simple:

Q-W for the sword.

4 move left,
6 move right,
8 move up,
2 move down,
5 wait,
7 move diagonally north-ovest
9 move diagonally north-east
1 move diagonally sud-ovest
3 move diagonally sud-east

Not more easy. :=)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 11-09-2007 05:58 AM]
11-09-2007 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Maurog wrote:
All new players almost never move diagonally at the beginning. I noticed that when I taught my mother to play DROD. It's a stage everyone pass, even you and me. Obviously at some point it fails you completely and you learn to move diagonally the hard way.

My controls are QW and the numpad. Sometimes, when play DROD on a laptop, there is no numpad, so I remap the keys to YUIHJK... it's more awkward, but whatever works.

I remember on one room on the first level of KDD (in AE) I got stuck because I couldn't find out how to move between two blocks, then I read Guntrho Budkin's tips where he said that only a fool forgets they can move diagonally.

11-09-2007 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kolbesag
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+4)  
Just got into Drod this month. Im playing on a laptop with no numpad so trying to work the controls using numlock when the keys are all askew just feels wrong.

However my arrow keys have pageup/pagedown keys on either side of the up key.

So then my setup became arrow keys for moving
pageup/pagedown for sword movement
then QWEASD for diagonal movement, waiting and battle.

The controls feel kinda perfect :thumbsup , though their reliant on having those pageup/down keys. I wonder is I would play slower on a Numpad but maybe that's just my unfamiliarity with it.

02-14-2021 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 596
kolbesag wrote:
Just got into Drod this month. Im playing on a laptop with no numpad so trying to work the controls using numlock when the keys are all askew just feels wrong.

However my arrow keys have pageup/pagedown keys on either side of the up key.

So then my setup became arrow keys for moving
pageup/pagedown for sword movement
then QWEASD for diagonal movement, waiting and battle.

The controls feel kinda perfect :thumbsup , though their reliant on having those pageup/down keys. I wonder is I would play slower on a Numpad but maybe that's just my unfamiliarity with it.

Always nice to see new faces round here. Have you tried the 'Default Notebook' layout? I learned on a laptop too and those were the controls I used - Q and W for sword movement, and then 789UOJKL for standard movement with I to wait. Might be worth a try if you haven't yet.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

02-14-2021 at 01:15 PM
kolbesag
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+1)  
navithmastero wrote:

Always nice to see new faces round here. Have you tried the 'Default Notebook' layout? I learned on a laptop too and those were the controls I used - Q and W for sword movement, and then 789UOJKL for standard movement with I to wait. Might be worth a try if you haven't yet.

Thanks. I did try that out but the 3x3 box that the 789UOJKL keys make is tilted and for me just felt really awkward compared to all the muscle memory I have for playing with arrow keys. Now that I'm 60 hours in I don't feel I'll be changing my controls, the bigger problem is that if I play on a different machine I'll have to procure some custom keyboard to play DROD the way I like :lol.
02-14-2021 at 03:46 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
kolbesag wrote:
navithmastero wrote:

Thanks. I did try that out but the 3x3 box that the 789UOJKL keys make is tilted and for me just felt really awkward compared to all the muscle memory I have for playing with arrow keys. Now that I'm 60 hours in I don't feel I'll be changing my controls, the bigger problem is that if I play on a different machine I'll have to procure some custom keyboard to play DROD the way I like :lol.

Ah apologies I didn't realise you'd played that much :) - the tilted box is certainly a pretty unique layout so it's not surprising it felt awkward! Out of interest what DROD game have you started on and how did you discover DROD?

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 02-14-2021 04:12 PM]
02-14-2021 at 04:09 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
Many years ago, I tried to get my mom into DROD, but she didn't get very far because she only had a laptop without a numeric keypad, and the 789UIOJKL setup was just too unwieldy for her.

02-15-2021 at 01:26 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I guess I never replied to this because it's so old, I wasn't a member the last time (prior to this set of posts) that it was posted in!

Anyway, I use the default desktop controls--numpad, ctrl, plus--except that I mapped turning to A and D, for "left" and "right" from Beethro's perspective, and undo to the Q key. Q and W are just so awkward for me to reach, and I tend to need undo way more than often enough to want it nice and close to where my hand already is instead of way in between my two hands. I've always insisted on buying laptops with a full numpad anyway, because I like having big, dedicated arrow keys to work with for all kinds of purposes.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-15-2021 01:35 AM]
02-15-2021 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yeah, looks like the original thread is pretty old, but I don't mind resurrecting it, it's timeless.

I'm using a setup pretty similar to AlefBet's since I'm currently on a laptop with no numpad - so that's IOPKL;,./ for main 8 directions + wait, QW for rotation, and then that leaves M for special command. This feels like pretty comfortable spacing for my hands.

I imagine if I transitioned to a desktop with separate keyboard w/ numpad I could probably get used to numpad movement, though.

02-15-2021 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Xindaris wrote: except that I mapped turning to A and D

I have to ask, how often do you accidentally press R? :P

I'm also in the "refuse to buy a laptop without a numpad" category - I use the standard desktop layout.
02-19-2021 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Almost never? My left hand is in the "home keys" position (asdf), where reaching up actually takes a bit of effort (though nowhere near as much as backspace would). If anything, I'd probably hit R by accident quite a bit if my fingers were aligned to qwer instead. I can't recall accidentally hitting R except in the sense where I intended to restart but then realized that I shouldn't have afterward. I guess if I were extra paranoid about it, I could've put my hands on zxcv and put the turn keys on zc or something, but I learned to "type correctly" at a relatively young age (fun fact, playing custom warcraft 3 maps online of all things constituted a lot of my practice with fast typing) and it's a heavily ingrained habit now, so that using anything but a home key position as my "home" is mildly uncomfortable.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-19-2021 11:52 PM]
02-19-2021 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
It was an old joke, from... wow, 2012? I have no sense of time passing, I guess. Don't worry about it.
02-21-2021 at 12:13 AM
Xindaris
That's around three years too old for me (if you look at my registration date) :P
No harm though, I still had fun replying.

02-21-2021 at 12:19 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+8)  
No, do worry about it, because it's some fantastic forum lore and you need this for a full understanding of Lavender Levels.

It's the Udderdude Saga, and the guy's name is just the beginning.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=33157
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=33162
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=33261

02-21-2021 at 06:16 AM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Spending my Sunday morning reading back through the feedback thread (instead of, say, cleaning my flat or something), here's a tinfoil hat theory: Maybe the entire feedback was just a promotional stunt trying to get people to play his own stuff, in a no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity manner. The commenters do a pretty good job at addressing the feedback directly for the most part, while he is just so insistent that people are attacking him personally. It's almost as if he wanted someone to rip his games to pieces, so that they would get at least some attention.

Okay, more likely, he was just a kid who wasn't really sure how to behave on the internet yet. Been there. Let's hope he's doing better now.
02-21-2021 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Hoo, man :)

I appreciated this stroll down memory lane.

By the time I got to the third topic you shared, I was busting a gut. Thank you for the good belly laugh.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-21-2021 at 08:14 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
A freind of mine, whom I got into DROD has a rather odd control scheme, due to having a laptop, and a rather "depreciated" one, so he can't use ESC for example (apparently it would be possible to mod this one, but maybe I'll get to learn how to mod that later, MUCH later)

alas, check this out
it starts innocently with
IJKL being the WASD movement
then he has U for going northwest
and Y for going southwest
similarly, he has O for going northeast
and P for going southeast

the Q and W is left (surprisingly enough) untouched.

When I visited him to help him with Level 8 tar mother (no, not the level you think about, he actually had beaten that one with ease), my reaction was like "how the hell can you play with that control scheme" and I had to rearrange it to something more familiar. He had to do a screenshot to not forget his OG control scheme. Oh boy.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 02-22-2021 04:33 PM]
02-22-2021 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kalin
Rank Points: 185
Anyone remember using I, J, K, and M in games because we didn't have arrow keys?
02-23-2021 at 12:40 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+3)  
Kalin wrote:
Anyone remember using I, J, K, and M in games because we didn't have arrow keys?
Yes!

I don't know these things to be true, but here is my theory I made up just now about different key combinations.

In the 80's, Dawn of PCs, we had these small keyboards that were combined with the computer hardware. Think Apple IIe, Commodore 64, Atari 800. "IJKM" as a shape is visually intuitive, and you can see why it might be an early choice. It's also a choice that would work across the ridiculously varied keyboard choices of the time.

"Why not use the arrow keys?" you might ask. In the 80's, most of the PCs didn't have them or they were weirdly arranged. The computers we played games on back them were home computers, not work computers. If I remember right, it was a little bit rare to move the cursor "inside" of text. You would mostly add characters and then backspace over mistakes.

"Okay, then why not use WASD in the 80's?" I think we hadn't discovered yet that the familiar upside-down-T of a modern arrow key formation is a more ergonomic choice. You can fit three fingers over it simultaneously, with the middle finger hitting up or down. And you don't fidget and jam your fingers as much. But it took the prevalent full-keyboard design of PC clones in the 90s to convert us to the upside-down-T.

Then once we were all trained on that, laptops came along. I say "came along" - they were with us from the start of PCs in some clunky form or another. But only in maybe the last 10 years, have they become more popular than dedicated desktop machines.

And once you have a laptop with no arrow keys or bad arrow keys, then you've got the same problem as the "IJKM" people in the 80's had. But this time, your society knows that "IJKM" sucks compared to upside-down-T, so you end up with "WASD". I have no explanation for why "IJKL" didn't become a convention instead of "WASD", but I can kind of see it being more ergonomic for mouse+keyboard games.

And if you're playing DROD on a laptop, you just get to suffer.

Wild speculations above. It's probably only 62% true.

-Erik

02-23-2021 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+2)  
When I was much younger loderunner on our apple IIe used ijkl, with u and o for digging
02-25-2021 at 12:25 PM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263

File: addlemoth-diagonal.jpg (171 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+3)  
I'm glad I used "search" before posting: This topic has been exercising the minds of diagonal DRODers for decades.

I also find DROD on laptop keyboard without a numpad clunky and unsatisfying. I have been known to pack a keyboard just to be able to play DROD more comfortably.

I just came across a solution (but it will need implementing) and have to share ..... the game Addlemoth by mauve on twitch seems cute, but that's not why I'm here. Addlemoth by Mauve

Mauve has implemented a perfect diagonal move control scheme, using chords. It's perfect. Want to go NorthEast? well press the North and East arrows at the same time!

Suddenly, diagonals seem completely natural.

I'm hoping this little seed lands on fertile dev ground.

[Last edited by karlpopper at 11-29-2021 12:19 PM : add pic]
11-29-2021 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Hmm. Are commands issued when you let up on the keys?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to disambiguate diagonal vs cardinal.

The trouble is that "simultaneous" keypresses are rarely simultaneous. If you hit up and right keys together there's probably a brief moment where up or right is down without the other.

Could add a "wait for diagonals" delay to processing the command, I suppose.

I've not played the game yet. I should probably do that. The game looked super cool.

-Erik

11-29-2021 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I didn't realize it was a web game that I could just play quickly.

Yeah, the controls are great! Definitely not using the keyup event. I'm guessing Mauve used a "wait for diagonals" delay, but it's imperceptible. The controls don't miss my intent or feel sluggish. It's really well done.

I tried it with an XBox controller too, and that works. But not as nicely as keyboard controls. For left stick or dpad, there were many times where I pushed diagonal and it was interpreted as two separate commands. So I much prefer the keyboard controls.

-Erik

11-29-2021 at 03:55 PM
mauve
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+5)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yeah, the controls are great! Definitely not using the keyup event. I'm guessing Mauve used a "wait for diagonals" delay, but it's imperceptible. The controls don't miss my intent or feel sluggish. It's really well done.

I tried it with an XBox controller too, and that works. But not as nicely as keyboard controls. For left stick or dpad, there were many times where I pushed diagonal and it was interpreted as two separate commands. So I much prefer the keyboard controls.
Hey. Apparently I never had an account here despite having played the DROD series since like a decade ago.

So, for inputs, there's two mitigation methods to make it cleaner to handle two chorded inputs at once being converted to a diagonal:
- There's a one frame delay applied to input processing. Any more than that feels a bit sluggish to me. (I know Shiren 5 has like.. 3-4f of input delay for this.)
- For the next two frames, if you convert from an orthogonal input to a diagonal input, it will quietly perform an undo and switch to a diagonal. This is a little jarring sometimes, and you can visually see it.

3f leniency felt like enough in most cases. For controllers I didn't have any problems personally, but I have had some reports that it should be more lenient, so I'm kinda chewing on the idea of bumping up the leniency window a bit more. There's some logistical problems with increasing that window: Sounds needing to be canceled out on the silent undo is the biggest one.

In the worst case, there's a button you can hold to force a diagonal input, I thiiiink it's on one of the triggers by default. You can check it in button config.

A lot of how I approach this is based on feedback, so I do appreciate knowing it's not quite enough on controller!

11-29-2021 at 06:22 PM
ErikH2000
Thanks for the under-the-hood explanation. Wow, an undo on 2nd and 3rd frame!

In my stepping game, I cheated and just got rid of diagonal movement. You did some real engineering to make a "simple" behavior happen.

-Erik

11-29-2021 at 09:41 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
For controllers there is also another option to have a dedicated "move" button and use d-pad to select the direction. I've played DROD like this myself and it plays swell, though it takes a short moment to get used to.

I swear I've mentioned this at least a dozen times on this forum.

12-02-2021 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 115
I have basically everything more-or-less at defaults, except instead of turning set to QW, I set it to QE. (Yes, restart is still set to R.)

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-07-2021 at 12:49 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Camwoodstock wrote:
...except instead of turning set to QW, I set it to QE. (Yes, restart is still set to R.)
I've heard it said this is a dangerous practice! ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-07-2021 at 05:45 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What controls do you use?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com