Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (wherein i SAVE THE EVERYTHING)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (+26)  
UPDATERY UPDATE: Schik has saved the everything. Rejoice!

UPDATE:
Click here to view the secret text

Okay this is going to be one of those live blogging type experiences, except I'm not setting up a twitter for this business because I'm too web 1.5 or whatever

Basically what it boils down to you for those of us just joining FROM THE FUTURE is some guy from ToastSoft made this grandiose thread about all of these immense problems with DROD I guess?

and I guess he is of the opinion that I should need to back my statements up with facts or something

I mean I know he's new, that's sometimes a thing you people do when you are new to how I roll but I AM AN INFINITELY GENEROUS HUMAN BEING so here i am exerting effort in order to ensure that I am completely right in every way as per usual

without any more of that ado:

XOP ULTRA BUNDLE DEMO

MARBLEICIOUS

okay maybe this DOES require actual alcohol brb

okay so I only have nutrigrain bars it turns out but grain is just UNFERMENTED ALCOHOL so I'm just going to keep eating these.

in the meantime we did some search and I guess Udderdude is into 'teleproduction', I understand basically this means he is a WIZARD

ROTATOR
RUNNER
SPHERE SHIFT

STRAT TECH
SPACE DUDES

this pyramid defense thing is literally space dudes except you can't move.

i'm not even giving it its own title. you have left me a broken man, udderdude.

a broken man.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-26-2012 04:59 PM : clarified attribution]
03-21-2012 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (+25)  
For visual reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_Skr2yBD4

Please be gentle. I was nowhere near sober.

03-21-2012 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1067
icon Re: so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (+1)  
Now you've said this, it must be true! Also he should bow down to your commands since because.

Serious note (F#), I'm wondering if Udderdude will even stick around now that mrimer was all like 'dude be solid and directed with these feedbacks'. Of course, he'd probably react badly to this since Banjooie is Banjooie.

I seriously hope he doesn't do this feedback without context on like, Dwarf Fortress of something. That would be nasty. Also, I need to filter search engines so I don't search this guy.

03-21-2012 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
[Post Deleted] Udderdude wrote:
It's pretty apparent your "feedback" is nothing more than a joke, and you are nothing more than a sad troll with nothing better to do.
Actually I think this trolls feedback is a very good indication what a new player who has never played these games might think of them. My thoughts weren't much different - as a long standing flash games developer I have to say, that my first projects were more polished (despite me being 15 and new to programming then) than what I have played. Maybe not polished as in better art, but faster, smoother and less clunky.

Really, I think you should look through the banj's troll facade to see actual feedback.

03-21-2012 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (0)  
skell wrote:
Really, I think you should look through the banj's troll facade to see actual feedback.
This. After all, it's not all that different from us looking past your decidedly passive-aggressive tone to your actual feedback.

Edit: Banjooie if there is ever a compendium of classic forum posts this one is going to be in there. I am still laughing on the third reread.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-21-2012 07:23 PM]
03-21-2012 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1067
[Post Deleted] Udderdude wrote:
It's pretty apparent your "feedback" is nothing more than a joke, and you are nothing more than a sad troll with nothing better to do.

Maybe Banjooie is a troll.

Or your games suck. Hey, if you can post off a whole list of half-valid poorly worded, context* free 'feedbacks', so can anyone else. You can hardly complain when someone posts the grammatically incorrect version of what you did just because it's:

1. Your stuff being targetted
b) Grammatically erroring for comedies.

Life is a window, but windows are two way.

*Seriously doesn't anyone else find out what they're downloading before downloading?

03-21-2012 at 07:05 PM
Banjooie
Oh, I said it in a hilarious, grand manner.

But I'm dead serious, these games are amazingly terrible and you have no place criticizing DROD except from a position of authority and expertise on charging people for worthless crap.

I'm sorry that my ability to stomach it fell away pretty quickly.

edit: guys you do realize Udderdude's been ironic all along right

he doesn't actually think he's a good game developer

post-edit: udderdude didn't you read the other thread

I /said/ I could have been busy roleplaying as a my little pony

or playing Kingdoms of Amalur

(good game, buy it)

[Last edited by Banjooie at 03-21-2012 08:36 PM]
03-21-2012 at 08:31 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
A few points:

I agree that these games don't look like they have much depth or are much fun to play (I tried a couple and watched the let's play), and that this makes it odd that Udderdude came onto the forum making criticisms as if from a position of authority. Also, some of his criticisms did seem to me fairly petty and some showed a lack of understanding of how the game works (e.g. how could you click multiple orbs to show their function?)
I also enjoyed Banjooie's analysis.

However, just because one doesn't think much of his games, does not automatically negate his ability to pass constructive criticism on DROD. And just because he criticises something we like doesn't mean we should all start attacking him and telling him his games suck.

03-21-2012 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yes. It is possible to criticize a thing constructively without being able to do better oneself.

03-21-2012 at 09:16 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (+2)  
The fact that his games suck, on the other hand, would seem a perfectly good reason to tell him that his games suck.

03-21-2012 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Banjooie wrote:
But I'm dead serious, these games are amazingly terrible and you have no place criticizing DROD except from a position of authority and expertise on charging people for worthless crap.
what

what

what

why do you say such things?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-21-2012 at 10:01 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
12th Archivist wrote:
why do you say such things?
Okay, this is funny but it would have been funnier with a pie chart.

03-21-2012 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304

File: Xop-DROD.png (123.5 KB)
Downloaded 1131 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (+10)  

Google search results for DROD and XOP, respectively. And 2/3 of the "I hate DROD" results are not really related to DROD, as far as I can tell.
Also note that the XOP pie chart doesn't even make a full pie!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-22-2012 03:23 AM]
03-22-2012 at 12:59 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I finally watched pearls' LP. DISTILLED BRILLIANCE.

03-22-2012 at 02:51 AM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
"Extra Brilliant."

03-22-2012 at 03:20 AM
Banjooie
Glorious work, 12th Archivist, but not quite accurate.

I am making the case that Udderdude quite clearly /can't/ tell what good game design is, or alternately is intentionally making incredibly terrible games.

See, in the 'can you make a better cake' analogy, the question is: Does the person have the ability to recognize good cake? This is not necessarily untrue solely based on inability to make good ctahtlaht t

look

look i am putting more effort into this post than Udderdude has into half his games

Seriously, I defy any one of you go look at how many tooltips pop up in Strat Tech if you mouse over a guy who has a decent amount of buffs on him. It takes up 75% of the window, easily.
03-22-2012 at 06:34 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jacob wrote:
...Udderdude came onto the forum making criticisms as if from a position of authority....

However, just because one doesn't think much of his games, does not automatically negate his ability to pass constructive criticism on DROD.
I think it's the former sentence that kind of explains the latter. I can't make flash games at all, but that doesn't negate my ability to offer constructive criticism on DROD. But I also don't preface it by saying "Speaking as someone who knows the right way to do this...."

(And by preface, I mean that was his word: Preface: I'm a game developer/coder myself. I've made several puzzle games on my own.)

It's like...if there are grammatical errors in some of the DROD dialogue, and I point that out, then that's one thing. But if someone, let's call him "micromike", were to say in his first post:

hypothetical micromike wrote: hi im new here but ive bin plyaing drodgames & i fund some errers in the speling and grammer

...then are you really likely to say, "Oh, my word! This young gentleman has discovered errors in our English! Certainly we must listen to what he has to say!"

Having not just read Banjooie's frankly quite insightful commentary, but also having gone to play several of the games myself, I put forth the suggestion that Udderdude is to game design what micromike is to writing. And I think one of the most telling parts of that is that, just as hypothetical micromike is himself making many of the mistakes he claims to have found in the writing, Udderdude has himself made many of the mistakes he claims to have found in DROD. As Banjooie documented, perhaps snarkily but certainly thoroughly and accurately.
03-22-2012 at 07:47 AM
Banjooie
So if any of my feedback pissed you guys off, feel free to play my own games and say whatever you want about them! :p

I'm just going to leave this here, by the way.
03-22-2012 at 07:56 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Oh my! He actually said that, and still complains -_-
03-22-2012 at 05:55 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : so I'm going through these Toastsoft games (wherein i SAVE THE EVERYTHING)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com