Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (Looking for a child-friendly hold.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (+1)  
For Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection, I would like to have two holds. One will be a conventional hold, with probably moderate-to-high difficulty, and the story will definitely be canonical. (By the way, the holds in Halph Stories are easy-to-moderate difficulty--a nice break for players exhausted from Perfection.)

The second hold I would like to include should be child-friendly. And we will have to find a non-condescending way to say that adults who want less of a challenge can play it too. ;) I would like this second hold to be enjoyable for kids in the 5-10 age group. That range might be a little broad--I'm not sure. I'd actually appreciate a little feedback from people with experience getting their kids to play DROD. What works or doesn't work for different ages? Also, this topic is a good place to volunteer to be a private tester who would coordinate testing with a child and report on results.

The child's hold would be off-canon to allow it to engage and teach the child more effectively. Characters would be allowed to talk directly to the player, speak self-referentially, and elaborate on things that would normally be too obvious for a character to speak aloud in the context of a story.

The same criteria we've used in the past for submitting holds for Smitemaster's Selection also applies here. You need to have a previously published hold with a rating of 8 or better for your hold to be considered. Your hold can't have been publicly released.

If multiple people are interested in working on a Smitemaster's Hold, they might express intentions here and work out some kind of collaboration to make a single hold. The hold will need to be completely tested (with children) and submitted by end of March to be ready in time for the Spring 2006 issue.

-Erik

02-20-2006 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (+2)  
If you nead testers, I have a 9 year old daughter who might be happy to take a look, or might not depending on her mood..
02-21-2006 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (0)  
Great, Larry! Thanks for volunteering.

-Erik

02-21-2006 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (+1)  
Hi Erik,
My kids would be willing testers. They are 5, 9 and just turned 11.
If you have any specific questions for them, please feel free.

02-21-2006 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
Rank Points: 174
What is the deadline and the limit of this contest?

02-21-2006 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Dali wrote:
What is the deadline and the limit of this contest?
Note that this is not really a contest. I'm playing the role of editor, and asking for a certain kind of content to use in Smitemaster's Selections. The goal is not really for participants to have fun and compete with each other; the goal is to end up with a good child-friendly hold that we can publish.

I'm a little sad that nobody jumped up and said "Me! I want to make that hold!" yet. But I guess I'm spoiled by how often people usually do that. :)

-Erik

02-21-2006 at 11:30 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Well, I do have an idea of what little kids like, living across from a couple myself. But I wouldn't be able to make the hold, seeing as my one published work is part of an unmade compilation and thus isn't rated.

If it'll make you feel better, I'm still trying to work out the details so I can get access to SS's. One question: if I buy CaravelNet, do I still get access to the SS's, but without all the super-special disk content?

And has it moved past the point where if I got a CaravelNet account, I'd be able to download KDD 2.0 and The Choice?

EDIT:

Oh wait, it's two questions. And it's sorta-kinda barely on topic.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-22-2006 01:07 AM]
02-22-2006 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
According to January's news post, you still get all previous SS holds up until some time in April. After that point, you only get SS holds that were released (or supposed to be released) during your subscription time.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-22-2006 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Great. The holds are fine, I don't mind missing out on a couple essays or so...

02-22-2006 at 01:15 AM
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I started playing DRoD when I was eight(I am almost 14 now). Making a SS to encourage kids to play sounds like a good idea.

I'd be up for making the SS, but I haven't even submitted a hold yet. :weep
I hope the one I am making will get an 8 or higher rating. I plan on releasing it soon.

02-23-2006 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Great idea. I'd love to give this a shot, but I may not have too much time. I'll be starting a job in paediatric medicine next year, so I need to get on a kiddy wavelength anyway! I'll try to make a small hold that could stand alone or could be encorporated into a larger one.
We'll see, no promises yet...

02-23-2006 at 06:06 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
I have 5 brothers and sisters younger (one older) than me, ages 7-17. All of them have played DROD, and only one of them doesn't like the game. ;)

So, I would be more than happy to get a few testers. Also, as a point of interest, my 9 year old sister, and my 13 year old brother have both made several rooms. I think it would be kind of neat if you had a hold for kids, by kids...though that may be hard to compile/create.

edit: this is quite off topic, but I wanted to mention it anyway. I have 5 younger siblings, AND one older sibling. uh, so my point is... ok. I don't have a point.

[Last edited by Chalks at 02-23-2006 09:53 PM]
02-23-2006 at 09:51 PM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
hi erik,

if you need more testers...

i like to play holds which are still i architecture...
...my english is still far from perfect...

zaubberer
:wizard
02-23-2006 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Chalks wrote:
I think it would be kind of neat if you had a hold for kids, by kids...though that may be hard to compile/create.
That would actually be cool, although I think the main part of the hold should be carefully designed by an expert for best effect. Perhaps an extra mastery level at the end would work or some secret rooms.

-Erik

02-24-2006 at 11:43 PM
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
Great idea. I'd love to give this a shot, but I may not have too much time. I'll be starting a job in paediatric medicine next year, so I need to get on a kiddy wavelength anyway! I'll try to make a small hold that could stand alone or could be encorporated into a larger one.
We'll see, no promises yet...
Alright! Well, from your past work, I'm sure you'd do a fine job. So if you want to commit to it later on, that'd be really cool.

-Erik

02-24-2006 at 11:45 PM
Jacob
I just starting thinking through a few ideas and realised I don't fully understand the remit:
Sure, it should be a hold with the right-pitched story, difficulty, sense of humour, accessibility and so on, but can I assume familiarity with controls and basic game elements at least? Or will I have to include a few rooms of explanation of how to move Beethro, swing his sword, hit an orb, click on an orb, use a tunnel etc?
I appreciate that this is a separate issue from introducing more complex issues such as backswiping etc, I'm just asking about the fundamentals here.

I just realised that the end of March is pretty soon. In fact I'll be jetting off to Toronto on the 27th of March, giving me slightly less time. This isn't to say I'm giving up on the idea...

02-25-2006 at 12:17 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I'm thinking it should assume that the only hold played is the built in toutrial. (Or however it's spelled.) If I was making it, it would continue Beethro's time at Smiting School, but that's just me. I wish I had a 8-ranked hold.Or any hold for that matter.
02-25-2006 at 03:17 AM
ErikH2000
Yeah, I think starting right after the tutorial works. Might have to bump the age range up a little, or just say that the kid should be able to understand how to get through the tutorial.

-Erik

02-25-2006 at 10:32 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
Mmf. This sounds intriguing to me (it would be a good break from my rather-higher-in-difficulty work in progress), but I know my time is lacking of late (couldn't even finish the January contest hold).

So, I'll defer to Jacob if he has the time, and also post later otherwise if I have the time.
02-26-2006 at 04:00 PM
Jacob
Question 2: Can I use any elements, or is it more of an introductory precursor to JtRH? Can I use things introduced later in JtRH likebrains, golems, wubbas et al?

I'm guessing, and hoping, the answer is yes.

Please note that me saying I might do this (a) is not 100% definite, although I'll try my best and (b) does not preclude anyone else from doing it, or contributing rooms to it.

So, go for it, jdyer.

02-27-2006 at 08:54 PM
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
Question 2: Can I use any elements, or is it more of an introductory precursor to JtRH? Can I use things introduced later in JtRH likebrains, golems, wubbas et al?

I'm guessing, and hoping, the answer is yes.
Yes. Go ahead and use any elements you like.

-Erik

02-27-2006 at 10:23 PM
Jacob
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yes. Go ahead and use any elements you like.

...Halph?

02-28-2006 at 12:49 PM
Jacob
Update: In the one day I had access to DROD I made 2 levels of my submission and planned out a third. I anticipate 5-6 levels. I'll post something up when I get back home (either Wednesday or the weekend). Is anyone else working on a hold?

03-06-2006 at 10:07 PM
Jacob
Well, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I've done about 3.5 levels. The bad news is that I'm leaving for Canada tomorrow, and am unlikely to have any way of continuing the hold for the next 2 months. So I'll post the hold up on a beta board and hopefully someone can finish it off for me, or it will have to wait til I get back. I'm going to add (where possible) the people who replied to this thread; if anyone else wants to test, or expand the hold, please post here. Is this arrangement ok Erik? I'm sorry that I appear to be the only one working on this, and am deserting again.

03-24-2006 at 06:18 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I'll help. I don't have any beta holds currently, and this one seems like a fun one to test. Add me to the list please!

EDIT: My word you're quick! Thanks for adding me! :D

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-24-2006 06:39 PM]
03-24-2006 at 06:35 PM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
I am interested in beta testing. I have several times been interested in introducing DROD to younger players.

03-24-2006 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
It would be fun to see what an easy hold made by you would look like, Jacob. IŽll be happy to try it if you want me to, but I suppose this hold wonŽt make it for the next SS...
03-24-2006 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
Is this arrangement ok Erik? I'm sorry that I appear to be the only one working on this, and am deserting again.
Sorry, to get back to this late. Let's not try to make this work for Spring 2006. I need the author of the hold to be around while we are finishing the hold and putting the issue together. I also don't feel good about not having a single person responsible for the hold. There will end up being more work for the Caravel team to get it ready.

So when the hold is ready, please submit it. Don't worry about deadlines.

-Erik

03-26-2006 at 10:05 PM
Jacob
This is almost complete. Could anyone who'd like to test this, or who has kids who are willing to test this please let me know. (Although I don't want an enormous deluge of volunteers really)

06-20-2006 at 09:53 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I might talk my sister into playing the hold; she's eight years and a half, and hasn't played Drod much previously (she does know the basics, but little else). She does not understand English, so she might be a good candidate if the players are supposed to figure out the hold without any external nudge (if not, I'll be translating to her).

Of course, the tricky hard will be to interest her into Drod again, as she has more or less given up the game of late. Well, those Mental Coercion courses I took up in Psychic 101 might come in handy.

That aside, I'm covered in the CaravelNet department until early August or so (hopefully, I'll have figured out a clever way to renew my subscription until then).
06-20-2006 at 10:13 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (Looking for a child-friendly hold.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com