Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Page 2 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+1)  
I can send you a demo if you PM me a valid email address. It's not the most efficient, but it works.

06-28-2005 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Thanks for that. Got to the Dreamplane now and completed it. Very cool.
When people had said that to clear out the middle left area you needed to go towards the middle right first to get enough roaches out of the alcove, this refers to the LEFT alcove. Oops, no wonder I was going wrong. Once you've only got 2 roaches left in the left middle alcove, there's enough time to enter it and kill the queens. It's a lot easier than I'd initially thought.

07-01-2005 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kyudos
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (0)  
I've cleared out the bottom left cave, and I'm trying to clear the bottom right.

I just can't seem to make myself enough space...can't actually get into the bottom right cave at all.

Any hints?
07-28-2005 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kyudos
Never mind...made in 2852 moves! Sheesh!
07-29-2005 at 08:52 AM
Unkillable Cat
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I'm beginning to regret I ever found this room.

Despite everything I've tried, I can't even clear out the first alcove, let alone all of them! I've re-entered the room from the west, killed the brains and killed the initial onslaught of roaches, making sure to position Halph according to the suggestion given here...but after that, I'm doomed to an eternity of slaying roaches without making any progress.

Everybody says the first two alcoves are easy...if I'm having such a hard time with them, how am I supposed to clear out the tough ones at the top?

I see my problem, I can't seem to be able to kill the roaches fast enough and need be more efficient. Any suggestions?
07-29-2005 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Unkillable Cat wrote:
Any suggestions?
Sure, pester someone for a demo. ;) gamer_extreme made the offer above. For this room, it's probably the easiest way.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-29-2005 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I've finally lost my patience with this one - and a couple more, but that'll be a different thread. It must be at least a month since I first tried it and I can still only clear out the sw cubbyhole, even with all the tips. Could someone please let me have a demo?

features1 at lycos dot co dot uk
07-29-2005 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Sent. (Hey, if I don't say it, bandit's going to get a hundred demos ;))
07-29-2005 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Unkillable Cat
Could you toss a demo into my hotmail box?

vikingur90 at hotmail dot com
07-29-2005 at 06:27 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Doom wrote:
Sent. (Hey, if I don't say it, bandit's going to get a hundred demos ;))

Thanks Doom! I still struggled, but I got there in the end.

07-30-2005 at 09:50 AM
Unkillable Cat
Just finished the level...with a small mountain of dead roaches behind me...and without a single demo entering my inbox.

What I was doing wrong was that I tried to kill all of the oncoming roaches before entering each alcove. Instead, when I had killed most of the roaches entering from above, I had to actually lure them inside the alcove, kill them there and quickly turn to dispatch the roaches being spawned by the queens.

Once I figures this out, it took me 2 attempts to finish the level.

EDIT: Demo says I took 2715 moves.

[Last edited by Unkillable Cat at 07-30-2005 09:42 PM]
07-30-2005 at 09:39 PM
Loomear
Hey, could I perhaps get a hold of that demo too? This room is destroying me..
I'm at loomear@hotmail.com

08-12-2005 at 01:30 PM
ginny228
Rank Points: 13
Hey sorry for opening this post again but could someone please send me a demo to ginny228 @ hotmail. I've done the first 2 chambers but I can't get into the mid left one, by the time I've killed one horde theres another one since i have to back up into one of the chambers I've already cleared to kill them! :~(

11-27-2005 at 10:55 AM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
ginny228 wrote:
Hey sorry for opening this post again but could someone please send me a demo to ginny228 @ hotmail. I've done the first 2 chambers but I can't get into the mid left one, by the time I've killed one horde theres another one since i have to back up into one of the chambers I've already cleared to kill them! :~(

to avoid overflow of the mailaccount of ginny:
i sent the demo.

zaubberer
:wizard
11-27-2005 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ginny228
Rank Points: 13
Thank you so much!! hope I'll finally be able to do it now! :D

Wooo managed to do it!!! Thank you 4 the demo zaubberer!! :D

[Last edited by ginny228 at 11-27-2005 12:33 PM]
11-27-2005 at 12:15 PM
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
Ok. I give up. I still haven't even made it into the first alcove to kill the first set of roach queens on this one. I've only got this room and a two others to finish all of the secret rooms. The other two I figure I'll be able to get finished, but I'm not even looking forward to trying to do this room after I watch a demo. It's just not even fun. If it weren't for the dreamplane, I wouldn't ever look at this room again. BUT, since I do want to get to the dreamplane, would somebody please send me a copy of a demo for this room?

shawn DOT asmussen AT gmail DOT com

Thanks in advance,

12-25-2005 at 07:30 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
If you really don't want to do it, why not remove your CaravelNet settings (though this step shouldn't be really necessary, I guess it cannot hurt), export your player file, and forward it to someone who enjoys level 22? Said player would then get through the room and forward you back the file, and voilą! Your player file has now gone through level 22 unscathed.

The problem with a demo on this room is that... well, I'm not sure it will help you much since it's all about efficiency and fancy swordplay. Most demos would also take a couple thousand moves, not exactly tailored for a straight "copy every single move in the demo".
12-25-2005 at 08:32 AM
asmussen
Yes, I'm aware that I won't be able to just copy the demo move for move, but I should be able to get a general idea of what I'm missing, and eventually manage it. For that matter, if I really wanted to spend the time on it, I imagine I could eventually get it without the demo. Efficiency rooms just aren't my favorite, and I can't imagine wanting to spend any more time solving that room than I have to if I'm not actually enjoying it. I just want to study somebody else's demo so that I can be a better feel for what I need to do, instead of wasting hours of my time just trying to get started.

If you really don't want to do it, why not remove your CaravelNet settings (though this step shouldn't be really necessary, I guess it cannot hurt), export your player file, and forward it to someone who enjoys level 22? Said player would then get through the room and forward you back the file, and voilą! Your player file has now gone through level 22 unscathed.

Were you volunteering?

12-25-2005 at 09:10 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Well, I was thinking about volunteering, but I cannot seem to finish the room in a reasonable amount of time (that is, before I go out). Oddly enough, I'm not doing nearly as well as during my first run through this room... With any luck, someone else will be able to provide a demo not lasting 4,000 moves.

There is another way to beat the room, though, and you might be interested in trying out that one.
Click here to view the secret text
12-25-2005 at 10:00 AM
asmussen
I could still use that demo, if somebody has time to send me one, please.

12-28-2005 at 08:41 PM
Oneiromancer
I sent my horrible 3000+ move demo. I fully expect asmussen to post again saying that it didn't help and he needs someone else's demo. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-28-2005 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
Well, this level has caused more brain hemmoraging than any other room in DROD (thus far).

here's how I played this room:

first, I was all like: :punk
then it was more like: :bangin
soon it was: :tvhorror
not long after it was: :starwars
finally: :blowup
that led to this: :throw

Help me! I got into the first chamber on the sw side. but I don't know how, and I can't do it again. It's 3:30am, and I *want* to beat this room. sigh.

[Last edited by Chalks at 01-17-2006 08:32 AM]
01-17-2006 at 08:31 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Well, I can certainly tell that this is the "HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?" room.

I've managed to clear out the bottom left and bottom right cells with pure hacking away at the roaches, but I can't draw enough roaches out of the middle left pit before the roaches from above and to the right overwhelm me and I'm forced to retreat. Then the roach queens spawn, and I repeat the process.

This definitely seems to be the last hurdle, but it seems a mile high... :?

EDIT:

I'd much rather clear out the room with bombs manually as a challenge than do this room... at least I'd be able to use them as cover.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-19-2006 01:55 AM]
01-19-2006 at 01:53 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+2)  
Woah! I came THIS close to litterally crying! I beat the room right (FINALLY), and left, all cheerful like. I come back in (because I'm paranoid), and ALL THE ROACHES ARE BACK!

If it wasn't for that restore button, you would see me here, bawling my eyes out. As it is though...I had merely forgotten two little roaches in the corner. they were quickly vanquished. Huzzah!

EDIT: there's something majestic about watching Beethro lay waste to thousands of roaches in 2276 moves. :D

[Last edited by Chalks at 01-20-2006 07:44 AM]
01-20-2006 at 07:40 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I think the puzzle goddess especially hates me. This is the second nosebleed I've suffered since I began trying to solve this awful room.

Could somebody email me a demo?

01-21-2006 at 12:37 AM
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 3N Victory.demo (5.7 KB)
Downloaded 517 times.
License: Public Domain
fratropea wrote:
I send YOU the DEMO.
I am not much good one with the computer...
I hope to us it succeed!
In any case... good fortune!
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
01-23-2006 at 04:02 PM
Darkmatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
I'd like somebody to e-mail me a demo too, this is keeping me off important stuff for days.

And besides, this is the only room that isn't solved yet. Which really makes me so crazy.
03-10-2006 at 08:42 PM
Oneiromancer
Is the one in the post right above yours good enough? If not, you'll need to provide an e-mail address, since files can't be sent through the forum e-mail system.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 03-10-2006 11:49 PM]
03-10-2006 at 11:48 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Oneiromancer wrote:
Actually, things have changed recently, so that anyone who has their CaravelNet account activated can view all of the non-secret rooms regardless of their progress in JtRH. If they want to see secret rooms or the Dreamplane on the forum, they have to have their progress uploaded. This explains why you can't see this room...it would be nice if you could check to see if you can see other, non-secret rooms on the forum.

Drifting slightly off-topic here, but is this still the case? I happened across the above quote, but it doesn't work for me this way. I can only view non-secret rooms I've visited in any SS hold (as well as JtRH and KDD2.0, although I've visited them all now for those holds...).

Just curious...
Josh

04-14-2006 at 09:29 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
jbluestein wrote:
I can only view non-secret rooms I've visited in any SS hold (as well as JtRH and KDD2.0, although I've visited them all now for those holds...).
Try hitting F6 in-game to get the demo screen for this room - the game will tell you that you first need to conquer the room to see the demos, but the forum will still be notified that you have entered the room, allowing you to see room images and the like.

np: Eric B. & Rakim - To The Listeners (Follow The Leader (Expanded))

04-14-2006 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com