Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Imperial Wandering (And now for something somewhat different)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Re: Imperial Wandering (0)  
S.A.B.E.R.S. Chambers: 2s1e. I solved the room without letting the fegundo fly over a pit the whole room. Is this intended?
11-11-2007 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I had assumed so.

11-11-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
You're both wrong - you're supposed to hit an orb with a fegundo, not a mimic. But that's an easy fix.

Jacob - ha ha ha, you're clever. That's definitely not intended, but fixable. I commend you for even trying to do that. :)

11-11-2007 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Okay, I need some help on Dank Corridors: 2s2e and on Plaster Passages 1n. I'm also stuck on PP: 2n2w but I'm so close to figuring it out myself I don't want a hint. Can I have some help on the other two?
11-11-2007 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
For Plaster Passages 1N, all you need is good timing and a bit of foresight.

The reason you might be stuck in Dank Corridors Twice South Twice East could be because you've fallen for a red herring. With this new information, go back to the room. :)

Click here to view the secret text

11-11-2007 at 10:26 PM
Jacob
Dank Passages 1S1E really needs a checkpoint in the little room or along the path of the mimic; I ended up getting pretty infuriated with all the restarts.

Not clear to me why the level isn't totally optional. Seems you can bypass the whole thing.

11-11-2007 at 10:50 PM
Chaco
Jacob wrote:
Dank Passages 1S1E really needs a checkpoint in the little room or along the path of the mimic; I ended up getting pretty infuriated with all the restarts.

Can do.

Not clear to me why the level isn't totally optional. Seems you can bypass the whole thing.

Before you can complete the hold you come back to a small unrequired room on that level with a blue door.

I might want to make that room accessible from the main part of the level to make it more obvious that this is so (as I did with Terrakept Resonant Quince Descended Once South Once East).

As soon as I can come up with another mud puzzle I will upload a new version.

11-11-2007 at 10:53 PM
Ezlo
Okay, the PP1N room I was just being dense and not seeing the last orb your supposed to hit, I was just using the three patterned ones. :blush

Now for the other room, I have been trying placing it in alternate places for a while now, and nowhere works. I seem to need to hit the first pressure plate so I can release the roach, but if I do that I end up moving the roach more than I should anyway. If I place the clone near the second pressure plate, I can't get it on it without getting trapped by a aumtlich. A little more help please?
11-11-2007 at 10:59 PM
Jacob
Quite a nice room.

11-11-2007 at 11:06 PM
Ezlo
Bleh, that's how you stop the roach. Great room Chaco!

On to the last level!

EDIT: Hmm... I'm getting no music in the last level, is this intentional?

[Last edited by Ezlo at 11-11-2007 11:09 PM]
11-11-2007 at 11:06 PM
Chaco
Hmm, that would be because the Voids style in your DROD program hasn't got any music files associated with it. And that would be because style files don't take music settings with them, I believe.

If you'd like to hear music in this level, you can copy-paste the following into the Songs portion of drod.ini:

VoidsAmbient=fortress ambient.ogg
VoidsAttack=city aggr 2.ogg
VoidsAttack=city aggr 1.ogg
VoidsExit=fortress win.ogg
VoidsPuzzle=above cont 2.ogg
VoidsPuzzle=above cont 1.ogg

Alternatively, assign your own songs to the style.

A new version has been uploaded, fixing the unintended solutions you guys pointed out. Also, Mud Tanks 2N1W and 3N1W have been replaced with new puzzles, so try them out! The old puzzles are still available in a section of the Hall of Mastery.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-12-2007 01:07 AM]
11-12-2007 at 01:04 AM
Ezlo
Okay, I think I'm done for the night, but I have to say, RE1S2W is a brilliant room deserving of much praise!
11-12-2007 at 02:42 AM
Ezlo
I managed to complete RE2S1W without touching the power token, is this intended?
11-12-2007 at 04:54 PM
Chaco
Most definitely.

There is a room in Hall of Mastery where (essentially) you have to touch the power token :)

11-12-2007 at 04:58 PM
Ezlo
Okay then, two more rooms to go!
11-12-2007 at 05:00 PM
Ezlo
I give up, how does one stop the eastern stand of gel from connecting in RE2W? I can do the other three, but not that one.

Also, how does one do 2s? I can't figure it out.
11-14-2007 at 03:19 AM
Chaco
Repulsive Emulsions Twice West:

There's two points where you can temporarily disconnect the gel mother's connection to the eastern side. That will get you the extra spawn you need on that branch.

Repulsive Emulsions Twice South:

The goal of the room is to block the gel from reaching the far pressure plates.

This is done by

I'd like to know whether there are any other problems with this hold soon, so I can add some more content and submit the hold to the Hold Administrators.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-19-2007 12:20 AM]
11-19-2007 at 12:19 AM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Not bad hold.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-19-2007 at 05:59 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I played some of this hold last week and enjoyed it very much. :)

If more comments from testers are wanted, I'd be happy to provide some this week and over the long holiday weekend.
11-20-2007 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Sorry for not writing more comments.
Am halfway through the builder level.
No problems found yet, some cool rooms.

11-20-2007 at 11:25 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
I started over from the beginning, since there have been some changes made. I like the story very much.

Case Study

S.A.B.E.R.S. (cool name for a level)

11-22-2007 at 09:32 AM
Chaco
icon Re: Imperial Wandering (+1)  
Case Study secret:

Yeah, it's fine that you solved the room that way, since that's the intended solution - you have to be clever enough to spot that detail and be willing to solve it the "unintentional" way.

S.A.B.E.R.S. 1N and 2S3E:

Those are a reward for exploring around - they give the observant player a chance to get 100% exploration on the level.

S.A.B.E.R.S. secret:

Yeah, that's what you have to do. Luckily, I decided to be nice and give you an extra spawn (even though you don't need it).

Keep going! You're doing great and you're getting to some of the best levels of the hold. :)

11-22-2007 at 12:28 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
OK, I think I'll come back to the S.A.B.E.R.S. secret later.

Mud Tanks

Dank Corridors

Plaster Passages

11-23-2007 at 12:00 PM
Chaco
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Mud Tanks
Entrance -

Yeah, you're right. This puzzle might actually fit better on the Case Study level (the first one) since it's not too hard and doesn't depend on anything besides wraithwing knowledge (which isn't too involved here)

1N -

This area (and the resulting arrival of one of the antagonists) is supposed to signify the actual entry into the Mud Tanks.

1N1E -

Thanks, this is my favorite room on the level :)

1N1W -

That's the intended solution - you'll realise quickly a swordless mimic and a single fegundo will do a terrible job at defending you from that many mud babies.

2N1W -

Yeah, I like this one a lot more than the old 2N1W. The room should be pretty interesting to optimize too.

3N1W -

Haha, yes. I realized that the room contained a C but backwards, but by that time it was far too late to flip the room.

2N2W

Yeah, I figured an optional challenge not required for mastery would be fun :)

2N -

Thanks. Yeah, I think the room isn't really "different" enough - I might need to remedy that.

secret -

Actually, hearing that you didn't have much trouble with the room made me try the room again - and it turns out I thought the room was a lot harder than it was. So let me ask you a question...

Anyway, I agree the Stalwart should give you praise - it's not an easy room to complete.

Dank Corridors
1S2E & secret -

The secret is supposed to enforce you never getting stunned, not even temporarily. However, most of the time in the non-secret version if you're stunned you stay stunned forever anyway.

2S -

Thanks. I like the idea, and further like the use of arrow traps to make the room interesting to optimize. It's also possible to figure out by logic exactly where you need to put the obstacles.

2S2E -

Yeah, but it's a difficult lynchpin to see - especially if you

1S1E -

The next version has more checkpoints on the trapdoor path, since dropping those trapdoors should be the least difficult part of the room. Just to be extra-nice, I'll even give you more room in the tiny chamber - expanding it to 3x3.

Also, did you find the room
:)

Plaster Passages
2W -

Yeah, you did cheat. Fixed by placing an east-facing arrow protecting the eye. :)

1S1W -

2N2W -

I agree with what you say about both of these rooms.

1N1W -

Seems like this would be about as hard (if not harder) to pull off than the intentional solution, so I'll leave that in.

3N -

I liked that too. :) 2N works well to explain the widgets in 3N. In order to make a larger version of this "stacking" puzzle (which need not be square, of course) I'd have to replace the walls with some floor type so the builders could build any trapdoors surrounded by other built areas.

In summary, I think this is a good level, where everything the builders do is entirely predictable and can be planned around.

Thank you very much for going through these levels. I really appreciate your feedback and the hold will be a lot better because of it. :)

11-23-2007 at 03:43 PM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Best. Hall of Mastery. Ending. Ever.

(fine, I cheated and used the editor)

11-23-2007 at 11:51 PM
Chaco
I think I prefer Terrakept Resonant's, where

In any case, I don't think you've mastered every single hold in existence and that will ever exist in the future, so I think your statement is unjustified :)

I'd like your feedback if you have any to offer.

11-23-2007 at 11:58 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Sounds like you're cooking up a new version. I'll continue onwards before coming back to rooms that will be changed. I'm almost done with Repulsive Emulsions and it looks like I've seen some of the postmastery rooms before.

In reply to some of your replies... :)

Mud Tanks : secret room
Chaco wrote:
Actually, hearing that you didn't have much trouble with the room made me try the room again - and it turns out I thought the room was a lot harder than it was. So let me ask you a question...

Dank Corridors : 1S2E & secret
The secret is supposed to enforce you never getting stunned, not even temporarily. However, most of the time in the non-secret version if you're stunned you stay stunned forever anyway.
Oh! Did I find an unintended solution?

Also, did you find the room
:)
Yes, I did. That case study researcher looks and sounds an awful lot like the Chaco we met in Terrakept Resonant. I don't suppose the Cs scattered around the rest of the hold are at all related to that? His mannerisms remind me a lot of the Denfry character in Beethro's Teacher.

Plaster Passages : 1N1W
Seems like this would be about as hard (if not harder) to pull off than the intentional solution, so I'll leave that in.
Actually, I did that because I couldn't figure out the intended solution. :blush

3N
In order to make a larger version of this "stacking" puzzle (which need not be square, of course) I'd have to replace the walls with some floor type so the builders could build any trapdoors surrounded by other built areas.
It would be fun to see one of these in the postmastery level. :)

In summary, I think this is a good level, where everything the builders do is entirely predictable and can be planned around.
Agreed. I've learned a lot about builders this month. :)
11-24-2007 at 01:46 AM
Chaco
In reply to some of your replies to some of my replies... :)

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Mud Tanks : secret room

Sounds about right. I'll keep it as-is so it's not difficult to master the hold, but the variation in the Hall of Mastery will enforce attacking the mother from the north... which is much harder.

Dank Corridors : 1S2E & secret
Oh! Did I find an unintended solution?

No, no, I meant you couldn't get stunned on the hot tiles. The goal of the room is still the same as before, but it's harder to execute that now.

That case study researcher looks and sounds an awful lot like the Chaco we met in Terrakept Resonant. I don't suppose the Cs scattered around the rest of the hold are at all related to that?

I suppose you haven't seen S.A.B.E.R.S. Chambers Twice South then. Or double-clicked 53rd Tar Technician's portrait to view the speech log, which also helpfully reveals character names.

Plaster Passages : 1N1W
Actually, I did that because I couldn't figure out the intended solution. :blush

The intended solution is to

3N
In order to make a larger version of this "stacking" puzzle (which need not be square, of course) I'd have to replace the walls with some floor type so the builders could build any trapdoors surrounded by other built areas.
It would be fun to see one of these in the postmastery level. :)

That's doable. :)

11-24-2007 at 01:57 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I'm having trouble with Repulsive Emulsions 2W.

But, here are some comments on the rest of the level...

Repulsive Emulsions

11-26-2007 at 08:32 AM
Chaco
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I'm having trouble with Repulsive Emulsions 2W.

Hint - there's no way to avoid creating those gel babies.

11-26-2007 at 11:47 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Imperial Wandering (And now for something somewhat different)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com