Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (A funny story in a lavish mansion... and its subterranean hold.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
IP: Logged

File: Great Uncle Yurgess Hold.hold (111.2 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (+3)  
This is something I started back in May, when I was still around level 6 in JTRH.

"Great Uncle Yurgess's Hold" is a story/humor/scripting showcase hold much moreso than being a challenge or puzzle hold, though I tried to include some of them. It is HEAVY on setting and environment.

For the most part, I was aiming for somewhat funny. It's also short, only 14 actual puzzle/challenge rooms, but with some puzzles that rely on strange new approaches, such as never facing north or watching where and when you stab that wubba.

I've tested the heck out of it, but I invite you to break it -- find where story inconsistensies appear -- like making Uncle Yurgess spawn in two different non-consecutive rooms.

Right now, the hold is closed to editing, but will be opened to conquerors in the final build.

One other thing -- try to stand still for as much of the talking as possible, that is... if you want to read it all. If you've read it before, you can usually skip it and go on to the next room un-hindered by the scripting. Doing this should make some scripting errors appear... somewhere (I just know it!).

[Last edited by Sergenth at 10-29-2005 06:01 PM]
10-20-2005 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (+2)  
Alright.

Problems I ran into. Excellent hold, BTW.

Click here to view the secret text

So, yeah. Otherwise, awesome hold, really.

10-20-2005 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (0)  

Thanks, Banjooie!
10-20-2005 at 12:58 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (+1)  
Oh this an awesome hold.

Very few minor tweaks.

10-20-2005 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
Nice hold so far

Just one slight bug

[Last edited by Andy101 at 10-20-2005 11:04 PM]
10-20-2005 at 11:02 PM
Sergenth

Multiple Thank-a-Youse!

I just saw that I left the short-cut stairs in place in mansion outside. I hope you've made good use of them and I'll leave them in till a goodly amount of exploits have been found.
10-21-2005 at 12:11 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1315
actually

otherwise it's good
10-21-2005 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
-- New Hold download available from first post --

Sorry, I haven't uploaded any changes before now. I'm already confused with three versions of my hold on the list... I was going to do an upload a day for however long the seams come undone. :P

10-21-2005 at 05:08 AM
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
ok, I must be missing something, on level 2 I can't find a room that I haven't beat, yet the blue door won't open, I've beaten rooms
great hold though, and a very good story

EDIT:got it, like a minute after posting it was just a small error on my part

[Last edited by Ravon at 10-23-2005 12:03 AM]
10-22-2005 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
A great hold. Very impressive.
A few spelling mistakes: e.g. should be "weird", "crevice"...
In one of the rooms set by the brains, Beethro starts arguing with the brain about whether he had to clear the section with tar or not and Beethro said he didn't have to. However, I had cleared, so the discussion made no sense.

10-22-2005 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Ravon: Thanks for the compliment; I'm needing one right now, and yours has done nicely. :)

I played through level 2 before you edited your post, just to make sure. Worked for me too. BTW, what was the error on your part? Not thinking of exiting and entering the rooms with a blue door when you've killed the last monster?

Jacob: I just looked down at the recent posts and saw your post. Thanks for your compliment too. I only needed 2 compliments to get past my funk!

Brain Room: I only checked out that new tar conversation addition once. After that, I think I changed the order of the IF stuff and the Labels, and I wound up deleting a label. Now... I can't remember if it really worked right at all. Anyways, I've added black doors as more reliable tests of whether the tar is destroyed or not. I tried to make it work with just conditionals again, but bombs don't seem to trigger the "If Tarstuff is destroyed" or "Tar Destroyed" events...

Also, I fixed the scroll in the center of the room so that Beethro won't have a conversation with the brain if he has left already.

Spelling mistakes: When typing out Weird, I usually use a mnemonic device "We Ird" (Wee-Urd) to remember, but it has since been corrupted in my brain and I look at "Wi Erd" and it's still pronounced the same way, so I've been mispelling it for years now! I should use the device "Us Ird" instead.

Also, where is it that "weird" is misspelled? I know where to check for crevice, but there's lots of weird stuff.

I'm updating the hold file next. EDIT Hold Updated, now with alternate eyeball foyer humor.

[Last edited by Sergenth at 10-23-2005 12:34 AM]
10-23-2005 at 12:23 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3630
Great hold. I liked both the plot and the puzzles involved in it.

My only gripe is level 2 2N 1E: now that you took the trivial solution out, I can't solve it! I can get past the bomb-activating-orb part, but I can't get to the safe area from the explosion fast enough. :(

10-23-2005 at 02:09 AM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
Wow.

Sergenth, that was awesome! I enjoyed ev'ry minute when playing that hold. I know that it isn't even on the Hold board yet, but I look forward to the sequel. There is a sequel, right? The plot is unbearably suspenseful.

Anyhow, I noted that only you can edit/view this hold. So, I'm curious about a certain room:

-Swivel
10-24-2005 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sergenth
Swivel,

And yes, I have plans to make a sequel. All of the characters will carry over. So far, I only have two unique puzzle ideas though, and I want to equally mesh puzzles and theme this time, instead of coming up with a theme and filling the puzzles in.

Oh yeah, and a sidequest too (I just thought of it now... I don't know what it will be, only that I want to make a sidequest :P)

Chaco,

[Last edited by Sergenth at 10-25-2005 12:43 AM]
10-25-2005 at 12:40 AM
Chaco
Yes, I am

Perhaps it has something to do with the way I got past the first pair of doors?

Maybe I didn't do it fast enough... -_-

10-25-2005 at 09:11 PM
Sergenth
Chaco,

EDIT:

[Last edited by Sergenth at 10-26-2005 12:02 AM]
10-25-2005 at 11:47 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
L1, 4W. If you get Beethro to the door before Yurgess and wait until Beethro says, "Right behind you," nothing happens until Beethro moves back twice. I suppose this could be seen as Yurgess asserting his authority. :)

L1, 1N4W. Beethro can be killed by Uncle Yurgess after the brain has disappeared, by stepping in front of him while the hook is pointing SW or SE.
10-28-2005 at 09:32 AM
Chaco
Argh. I was hoping that wasn't it.

I hate bombs and trapdoors.

10-28-2005 at 11:56 AM
bandit1200
L2, 2N1E has me puzzled too, but for a different reason. I can kill the eyeballs easy enough, but then I have to leave the room to get the exit level message and to drop the blue doors. When I return, the doors have dropped, but the eyeballs are back, and Yurgess and Gibbles have disappeared, so I can't get to the exit.

Edit: Duh! Never mind. :blush

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 10-28-2005 06:04 PM]
10-28-2005 at 05:14 PM
Sergenth
Chaco sez:

Beethro can be killed by Uncle Yurgess after the brain has disappeared,

Beethro can be killed in several places by Yurgess! I need an NPC with a non-lethal weapon :)

Bandit sed:

When I return, the doors have dropped, but the eyeballs are back,

Thanks! I thought I had ignored the eyeball problem long enough for it to go away! I'll tell ya... it worked for a while. :rolleyes

I thought that when NPCs turned into monsters, and were exploded, they did not come back. It must only be when they are stabbed. Now the eyeballs are mostly monsters or are set to disappear forever if the monster eyeballs are gone.
10-28-2005 at 10:45 PM
bandit1200
Care to put me out of my misery on level 3, 3N2W? I was staring at that room for about 2 hours last night, and all I could hear was the brain tittering as it wobbled out of the room without opening the yellow doors, leaving me stuck after killing the topmost roach. I slept on the problem in the hope that the old DROD playing rule applied, but apparently 3 hours wasn't enough. So, accepting that I often miss the patently obvious, how do I kill the top roach and still escape from the room?
10-29-2005 at 05:45 AM
Sergenth
Bandit1200:

That room had some very old scripting errors, and I hadn't caught them because I simply had not tried to break them back in May... it was enough that I could make them work right the "right way"!

I'm uploading a revised hold in the first post with the Level 2 2N1E fix and the L3 3N2W fix.
10-29-2005 at 06:00 PM
bandit1200
hey, it's not a problem, it's what the architects forum is for.
10-29-2005 at 09:23 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
level 3, 3n 1w, one of the brains can be killed as you exit the room

10-29-2005 at 09:52 PM
bandit1200
Level 3. 4N2W.

The brain doesn't want to open the yellow door. Is he on strike?

The roach at south west can be killed without bothering with the orb and door.

Was the potion intended to be used? i didn't need it for anything.

Great hold. Do some more like it. Immediately. :)
10-30-2005 at 08:04 AM
Chaco
Beethro can be killed in several places by Yurgess! I need an NPC with a non-lethal weapon

Actually, I didn't say that. And it's more of Yurgess allowing Beethro to put himself where Yurgess is going to put his hook than an actual "killing" per se...

In other words, as long as the player doesn't make Yurgess mad by getting too close to his personal space, he'll be just fine from the hook.

10-30-2005 at 11:12 AM
Sergenth
Bandit1200:

Uhm... did you succumb to the temptation to face NORTHWARDS? If you did, then the doors won't open, and there isn't much indication that the room is unsolvable after facing north. I'll try to make it more apparent.

Chaco:

on "Yurgess killing Beethro": Yeah, Beethro is just in the way -- purely accidental deaths caused by Yurgess. This is why I try to have Yurgess lead the group. Funny thing is, I can't find the original post noting that Yurgess could kill Beethro... did somebody rewrite history? :P

[Last edited by Sergenth at 10-30-2005 02:33 PM]
10-30-2005 at 02:24 PM
Chaco
Maybe.

Anyway, I finally managed to solve that puzzle, and all the others as well. Very nice hold, the storyline and the conundrums are superb.

10-30-2005 at 04:03 PM
bandit1200
Sergenth wrote:
Bandit1200:

Uhm... did you succumb to the temptation to face NORTHWARDS? If you did, then the doors won't open, and there isn't much indication that the room is unsolvable after facing north. I'll try to make it more apparent.
Ah! I read it as just don't KILL while facing north. The orb and the potion make sense now.

Chaco:
on "Yurgess killing Beethro": Yeah, Beethro is just in the way -- purely accidental deaths caused by Yurgess. This is why I try to have Yurgess lead the group. Funny thing is, I can't find the original post noting that Yurgess could kill Beethro... did somebody rewrite history? :P
That's because it was me that said it.
10-31-2005 at 05:45 AM
Sergenth
That's because it was me that said it.

Well! That solves that mystery!

So... is this hold ready for putting in the Holds Forum? I just need a vote of confidence from one highly overqualified person who is also proficient in 28+ languages... anybody...?
11-01-2005 at 12:53 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (A funny story in a lavish mansion... and its subterranean hold.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com