Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Shallow Water Trapdoors (Title Says All!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 597
IP: Logged
icon Shallow Water Trapdoors (0)  
Of course, the introduction of shallow water into DROD 4 has been an influencial one, with new puzzles and such. But, what is missing?
A shallow water trapdoor of course!
It doesn't really take much explaining - it's just a trapdoor that drops into shallow water!

I'm sure that many an architect could make a half decent puzzle using this idea so yeah! What do you guys think?

EDIT: And, y'know, you could have monsters that could only go over shallow water, and regular water is too deep for it.

nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 12-31-2013 07:18 PM]
09-17-2012 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Shallow Water Trapdoors (0)  
09-17-2012 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Wait, if you can walk in shallow water, wouldn't shallow trapdoors block you off?

Or at least your toes would hurt after hitting it. :blush
09-18-2012 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
This seems like a useful thing to have, and would be useful. The only thing I'm wondering about is that differentiating between trapdoors, which has always been tricky could actually be relevant.

I don't know why but this topic made me think of trapdoor switch tokens, which although completely illogical, could also make some interesting puzzles, especially when combined with platforms and other things. I'm guessing it would work like tarstuff tokens. My only major concern would be again, trying to tell the difference between trapdoors. Well used lighting could help however.

09-18-2012 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I'm in agreement with the above concerns, though trapdoor tokens might be a bit far. :D
09-19-2012 at 02:38 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
blorx1 wrote:
This seems like a useful thing to have, and would be useful. The only thing I'm wondering about is that differentiating between trapdoors, which has always been tricky could actually be relevant.

I don't know why but this topic made me think of trapdoor switch tokens, which although completely illogical, could also make some interesting puzzles, especially when combined with platforms and other things. I'm guessing it would work like tarstuff tokens. My only major concern would be again, trying to tell the difference between trapdoors. Well used lighting could help however.

Thanks for the feedback, trapdoor tokens... sounds actually, rather interesting!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

09-19-2012 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
I look forward to breaking 5.0 apart with a sledgehammer if you add this. :)

For a while there, I was finding bugs with builders and trapdoors on a daily basis. I'm sure more are present.

This also raises the question of, what happens when a bridge drops from a shallow-water trapdoor? Currently, bridges can only be over land or water, and which is which is completely contextual (it can change as the room progresses, even). It doesn't really make sense for a bridge to drop to shallow water, and it doesn't really make sense to have a trap door in shallow water either (though the game mechanic is obvious). I mean, if you push as much as a mirror in, you can walk around, so it seems like dropping the trapdoor would still give you clearance to walk without getting anything other than your ankles wet (unless these trapdoors are razor thin, or magically disappear, or something).

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

09-24-2012 at 01:02 AM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1067
Trickster wrote:
I mean, if you push as much as a mirror in, you can walk around, so it seems like dropping the trapdoor would still give you clearance to walk without getting anything other than your ankles wet (unless these trapdoors are razor thin, or magically disappear, or something).

Shallow Trapdoors are made of material that dissolves. Really quickly. However, the bottoms are water-proofed, so they have to drop to get melted.

09-24-2012 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Or perhaps they are not very thick, like other trapdoors.

09-25-2012 at 03:17 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
As an engineer myself, it's clear to me that this spammer is beyond normal intelligence. I couldn't agree more.

09-27-2012 at 01:20 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Shallow Water Trapdoors (+1)  
west.logan wrote:
As an engineer myself, it's clear to me that this spammer is beyond normal intelligence. I couldn't agree more.
Like other trapdoors, it is not very thick.

09-27-2012 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
nolarboot
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: Shallow Water Trapdoors (+1)  
Dischorran wrote:
west.logan wrote:
Like other trapdoors, it is not very thick.

(Sorry to gravedig but) Almost like a lilypad? Maybe after one step, the thing wilts or dies and cannot be used again? Or maybe it can, only after a certain number of turns?
(in my defense, I misread the "2012" bit as "2013". my apologies)

[Last edited by nolarboot at 12-30-2013 04:42 AM]
12-29-2013 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Shallow Water Trapdoors (+2)  
mrimer wrote:

12-29-2013 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Shallow Water Trapdoors (+2)  
I don't think shallow water trapdoors would add enough to the game - thin ice sounds like a good enough alternative. Not to mention they'd have to look different enough from existing trapdoors to not be mistaken for them.

11-04-2020 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Shallow Water Trapdoors (Title Says All!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com