Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Discuss the new TSS features (Spoilers)
<<2345
Page 6 of 12
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
IP: Logged

File: Song of the Lowest Point.mp3 (7.5 MB)
Downloaded 123 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+5)  
While fearless smitemasters like Beethro Budkin tirelessly work to cleanse dungeons, cellars, and basements of giant man-eating roach infestations, and stalwart forces valiantly preserve their nation's borders against foreign threats and internal conspiracies with great bravado, there are those who serve the Eighth in other ways. While Tendry joined his nation's armed forces and strives to protect his homeland, there was someone else who decided to foster relations between the underground Empire and the surfacers. This individual is Tendry's distant cousin, Rodney.

Rather than being a relucant survivor of battle, Rodney is a thespian by trade. He feels that his calling in life is to bring understanding to the historic events surrounding the clandestine activities of the DAA. He idealistically envisions that by building common ground between conflicting factions, a new era of peace and plenty can begin. As part of welcoming Tueno's new overlords, Rodney put together a series of public concerts where individuals can express complex matters of state through song. Here is one such piece he composed after getting wind of Beethro's latest travels through the beneath to smooth over misunderstandings between the DAA and the Smitemasters Guild. It became an overnight hit. At one point, even Hallholder Bombus was heard whistling the refrain while arriving to a meeting.

Lyrics:
Click here to view the secret text

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-21-2013 03:43 PM]
09-20-2013 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+1)  
Everyone should also give props to Someone Else for singing.

I wish that man would stay away
09-21-2013 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 255
Wow! :) >>(1) Prop(s) added to Someone Else's inventory

[Last edited by The Architest at 09-21-2013 02:57 PM]
09-21-2013 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358
The spitemaster wrote:
Everyone should also give props to Someone Else for singing.

It wasn't me singing, I guess I should have known it was someone else...
09-21-2013 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Props to Someone Else for venturing forth on a journey into the cutthroat world of international relations!

Edit: Added the lyrics to my above post

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-21-2013 03:44 PM]
09-21-2013 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: Fluff.png (348.6 KB)
Downloaded 1040 times.
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+4)  
As requested, here's some spoilerific info on the new tar type that you'll be seeing in the near future in TSS.

As you already know, the new serpent type is not quite a serpent. Similarly, the new tarstuff is not quite a tarstuff. It's a clingy, caustic, poisonous gas. Its soft and sweet sounding name, Fluff, belies its deadly nature.

Fluff can be pumped into a room through vents, which spew out new gas every thirty turns. When fluff is already on a discharging vent, the fluff will grow like tarstuff. Otherwise, a fluff baby (sometimes called a "puff") will form instead. Fluff babies float slowly toward the nearest organism, at the rate of about one foot per second (i.e., one tile per five turns). When they come into contact, the fluff neutralizes the organism and is itself destroyed in the process. Activating fluff produces a chemical reaction that severely draws energy out of the surrounding material. As such, water can be frozen on the tile that a puff neutralizes its target. Fluff babies can also congeal back into a mass of fluff on contact.

As a gas, sword swipes have no effect of fluff. Fortunately, other types of weapons can be used to destabilize fluff and blow it about.

----

I think it's interesting how the color scheme for the serpents and tarstuffs has evolved. We started with red serpents and blue tar. Then we added complementary blue rattlesnakes and red mud. Then we added green adders and green gel to complete the RGB triple. Now we are adding shiny black gentryii and misty white fluff, each with their own distinct look and feel, to the color wheel.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-30-2013 05:12 AM]
11-30-2013 at 05:06 AM
BlueFlower
Rank Points: 160
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (0)  
Woah! I thought of something similar! However, mine moved each turn, and on the thirtieth, it would grow, and the babies could walk on anything. It also was weak no matter where you hit it.

11-30-2013 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
What about the other 32 new types of tarstuff?

11-30-2013 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: garden_style_sample.png (799.5 KB)
Downloaded 1001 times.
You also asked about new room styles. In the above image, you can see an updated Iceworks floor texture. In addition to producing three new room styles, Alex has done great work in updating many preexisting textures to bring the general appearance of room styles into conformity. As part of this, we've also shied away from the edge of the uncanny valley, replacing the more realistic looking terrain textures with more stylized, cartoony ones that match the feel of the rest of the textures and game elements. The resulting effect is one of flawlessly consistent purpose in design.

(For example, for those who were nonplussed by the Forest style's wall texture, you can now see an updated version on the caravelgames.com's TSS page, in the screenshot featuring the temporal split token.)

For those who like cultivated natural beauty, here's a screenshot showing off the new Garden room style, with its topiaries, hedge mazes, planters, gazebos and greenhouses. A wonderful place to sit still and be one with nature. But fear not, the Garden levels in TSS are still quite deadly.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-30-2013 06:04 AM]
11-30-2013 at 05:26 AM
mrimer
BlueFlower wrote:
Woah! I thought of something similar! However, mine moved each turn, and on the thirtieth, it would grow, and the babies could walk on anything. It also was weak no matter where you hit it.
Yeah, that sounds neat! As a gas, fluff and puffs can float over pit as well as water. We spent some time going back and forth on how to make this work, and we considered the other ideas you mentioned during the formative process.

11-30-2013 at 05:32 AM
Godot23
Rank Points: 114
blorx1 wrote:
What about the other 32 new types of tarstuff?

WAIT... 32?! Is this some kind of sarcasm that I am missing?

My house is on fire
11-30-2013 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Rank Points: 160
Ya might want to check the BAR Topic. It was one of the messages from the DROD:TSS Bar. It said: DROD:TSS has 32 new Tarstuffs and 01 tarstuff rooms.

11-30-2013 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4718
The Garden style looks amazing -- the greenhouse obstacles (I assume they are obstacles?) are particularly impressive.

Actually, I love all the graphics work I've seen so far, including the updates to the old styles. Forest is just stunning.

So, now we know at least something of all three of the new styles: Garden, Lava, and the unnamed one in the floor spikes picture.

Is this going to cause any problems, given that one of the best fan-made styles is also named Garden?

And talking of fan-made styles, is there any hope for this old but important FR?

11-30-2013 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1143
Puffs are kind of cute with their little eyes. Also, Fluff looks a bit like snow. Now wondering if Fluff weights down pressure plates or just covers them due it's fluffiness.

Also, now it's been pointed out for the colour thing, it's nice to see new directions being taken with the Gentry and Fluff which still build off previous mechanics. It's neat.

Finally, Garden, like Garden, is pretty. I just hope having two styles with the same name won't cause trouble.

[Last edited by hyperme at 11-30-2013 07:34 PM]
11-30-2013 at 07:34 PM
Godot23
Rank Points: 114
BlueFlower wrote:
Ya might want to check the BAR Topic. It was one of the messages from the DROD:TSS Bar. It said: DROD:TSS has 32 new Tarstuffs and 01 tarstuff rooms.
Ah ok forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

My house is on fire
11-30-2013 at 07:52 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1334
Heh, I had to check - it was 42. :P

[Last edited by Someone Else at 11-30-2013 10:54 PM]
11-30-2013 at 10:53 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
mrimer wrote:
(For example, for those who were nonplussed by the Forest style's wall texture, you can now see an updated version on the caravelgames.com's TSS page, in the screenshot featuring the temporal split token.)
I had to fire up GatEB and see what the original looked like. I have to say I find the new one more uncanny... The old was more "wall-like", and while the new may be prettier, to me it seems odd... Perhaps because of the partial-trees at the borders. It's as if the player is on a platform floating high above a forest, with a few big bushes flying nearby.... Anyone else see what I mean? :unsure
11-30-2013 at 11:57 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1334
Ooh, I have a question: How is gentryii pronounced? So far I've come up with:
ˈdʒɛn tri tuː
ˈdʒɛn tri i
ˈdʒɛn trɨ

I've been saying the first one, but...

Oh, also, hitting the button for fixed-width font gives [undefined][/undefined], which is a minor issue.
12-01-2013 at 02:50 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4718
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+2)  
/ˈdʒɛn tri ai/
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_English_pronunciation_of_Latin. (The ii is anomalous anyway; because of the word radii, -ii is often mistaken for a suffix, but it's actually just -i. It's better to ignore the ugly extra syllable than to try to pronounce it.)

12-01-2013 at 03:52 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1138
mrimer wrote:
Moo wrote:
But... You basically previously said it was, here.
Unless that was only for official holds. If so, it should be easy enough to just add an override option or a per-hold setting.
Yes, as stated there, this is just support for the official holds.

Unfortunately, it's not easy enough to just add an override option. Well, adding an override option is easy enough, but the per-hold setting is not. I'll think about it some more, though.
I realize this is a four month old post, but since you said you would think about more, I was wondering if this could apply specifically to all AE holds, so players could at least play those holds in their original styles (perhaps using the AE style mods for 3.0 and later).

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-01-2013 at 04:05 AM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
Moo wrote: I had to fire up GatEB and see what the original looked like. I have to say I find the new one more uncanny... The old was more "wall-like", and while the new may be prettier, to me it seems odd... Perhaps because of the partial-trees at the borders. It's as if the player is on a platform floating high above a forest, with a few big bushes flying nearby.... Anyone else see what I mean? :unsure
Yes, I was thinking this. The art itself is lovely, but I think it contrasts too much with the edge wall. I think I'd probably get over it though, since the new, brighter trees are so much nicer.
12-01-2013 at 10:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1143
Yeah new Forest does have some perspective weirdness. Then again, it's not the old Forest wall texture, and try placing bookcases directly south of a wall in the editor. It looks wrong.

Anyhow, if Fluff Vents are floor type, and can be built, things could get very interesting. I'm also guessing Fluff Vents can be blocked by mirrors or other objects.

12-01-2013 at 12:30 PM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
hyperme wrote:
[...] and try placing bookcases directly south of a wall in the editor. It looks wrong.
Ah, no that's fine- if you imagine the bookshelf being placed snug against the 'bottom'/south part of the tile it is placed, then it would look like that, since there would be a gap between the other half of its tile and the wall.
12-01-2013 at 12:48 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Kwerulous wrote:
hyperme wrote:
[...] and try placing bookcases directly south of a wall in the editor. It looks wrong.
Ah, no that's fine- if you imagine the bookshelf being placed snug against the 'bottom'/south part of the tile it is placed, then it would look like that, since there would be a gap between the other half of its tile and the wall.
I tried it, and it does look weird... But going by how it would have to be to look like that, and the shadow too, the shelf is half a square deep and not against the wall. So there's a half square gap between it and the wall.
12-01-2013 at 01:42 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3413
So can buff-mediated freezing get rid of hot tiles, then? And if so, can I have a few for Complex Complex?

12-01-2013 at 09:34 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1134
I suppose this means any worries that TSS will be too easy are unfounded. Just scratching the surface of fluff's puzzle potential will be pretty brain-melting.

When it freezes water, does it act like a normal floor or is ice its own floor type?

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 12-02-2013 02:26 AM]
12-02-2013 at 02:25 AM
mrimer
There is a new ice terrain for both shallow and deep water. You can step on ice once and then it will melt, similar to how a trapdoor works. Explosions will also melt ice, iirc.

12-02-2013 at 03:58 AM
mrimer
Nuntar wrote:
So, now we know at least something of all three of the new styles: Garden, Lava, and the unnamed one in the floor spikes picture.

Is this going to cause any problems, given that one of the best fan-made styles is also named Garden?
The three new room styles are called Garden, Basalt (the lava one) and Sandstone (with the floor spikes). These are actually directly built off Jutt's room styles of the same names. Jutt gave permission to use and work off of his three styles as the new room styles in TSS, and we have upgraded them for 5.0. Alex redrew some of the obstacles, added some new ones, and revised the floor and wall textures. We've also added the usual color-coded versions of several of the obstacles that are otherwise identical across previous room styles. Jutt also helped draw a few new tile images for 5.0 early on, but then he disappeared about a year ago and we've been carrying on without him.

I don't think there will be a problem having two styles of the same name. By default, the pre-installed 5.0 room styles of these names will be used. If you apply a mod of Jutt's original room styles with these names, then they should override the 5.0 versions. I think that's exactly how it should work in this case. Offhand, I don't think Jutt's styles are published on CaravelNet for in-game download, but I could be wrong.

12-02-2013 at 04:06 AM
mrimer
Pinnacle wrote:
I suppose this means any worries that TSS will be too easy are unfounded. Just scratching the surface of fluff's puzzle potential will be pretty brain-melting.
Yes, no one will complain that TSS is too easy. Except for our top three players, possibly. But even then, I'm not sure about that. And there's a fluff level later on made by Larrymurk. It's great -- I was able to play through all but a couple of the rooms myself, and I consider myself as "your average veteran player" by skill level. So, the difficulty felt right for a level that goes around L20 in JtRH or TCB.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-02-2013 04:09 AM]
12-02-2013 at 04:08 AM
The Architest
Rank Points: 255
I found the realistic styles mixed with drawn sprites quite charming, actually. But this new style is absolutely gorgeous! And that Fluff - ain't it just cute? :)
12-02-2013 at 06:00 PM
<<2345
Page 6 of 12
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Discuss the new TSS features (Spoilers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com