Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Is there something in the forum's water supply?
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Is there something in the forum's water supply? (0)  
Considering at least 3 issues have come to a head in the same day (long, simmering issues, yes, but still, within a day), I really have to ask.

And even ignoring curiosity, I'm asking because I like Schik, and he seems to be the sole moderator at the moment, and it would be nice if everybody was to just at least try to get along and save him some bother, so he can write cool code and whatnot, yes?

Of course, by asking if there's something in the water supply I mean no offence to Bangladeshi, Indians and other countries with poor water supplies. My apologies for not being more politically correct.
07-06-2011 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (+1)  
*shrug*

wonkyth pushed one of my buttons. (I know, I know, I have enough buttons to be an airplane control panel. But still.) Rat Man then demonstrated an incredible level of cluelessness about my reaction that I wasn't willing to let me. Unfortunately for him, he also managed to demonstrate an incredible level of cluelessness, and once again regarding someone else's emotional state, at the same time in a wholly unrelated thread. Was I trying to drive him off? No. Do I regret it? Not really, no, not if that's the only way for him to stop making posts that raise my blood pressure.
07-06-2011 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (+50)  
There's nothing wrong with the water, it's just the only people left have bullied all the others out of the way. They still don't realise it, that's probably a tragedy.

Note: I haven't left the forum, I've just grown up and moved on. There's no point staying here talking with a bunch of trigger-happy kids with lots of mod points.

I know people are saying that this forum is better than others. Well, I know better forums than this one.

The thing is, since I've been on other forums I just wonder how I could put up with some of you.

(This post will certainly be modded down as I'm sure someone will not like it. Well, if you want to waste your points on me then go ahead. I don't really care.)

07-06-2011 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
There's something really impressive about being as insulting as possible while saying "I've matured beyond your petty insults".
07-06-2011 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (0)  
Can people please just stop feeling insulted already?

[Last edited by west.logan at 07-06-2011 05:34 PM]
07-06-2011 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Tim, I think you're right.

Allow me to waste some points on you.

07-06-2011 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I would be insulted at Tim's insistence that he is superior to what is left of the ostensible 'dregs' of CaravelNet society, but then I realize that if I understand correctly he now /works/ with the dev team.

Which means, since the rest of the dev team still posts here, implies that they have also 'bullied everyone else out'.

Actually wait no

The real implication here is that Elfstone has bullied everyone else out as well, and I think that's basically grand

I'm rounding that post up to +50 for the mental image
07-06-2011 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Banjooie you are stupid and should leave. :hmmm:

07-06-2011 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
well okay fine
leaving forever brb
07-06-2011 at 09:37 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
12th Archivist wrote:
da rogu3 wrote:
serious facepalm smilies made at my expense
Gotta agree with you there, the :facepalm: is quite possibly the most annoying smiley ever.
Confound that horrid smiley. Hey, who's the yahoo that suggested the damn thing anyway, and why? Hold on a minute...
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=28115&page=0#273845
Oh...yeah...right. Sorry.
07-07-2011 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
:facepalm:

07-07-2011 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
12th Archivist wrote:
I know of at least one forum where there are many members all interacting without many problems. That forum is the Order of the Stick forum, and it is an excellent forum indeed. That forum has many hundreds, if not thousands, of active members that can all enjoy each other's company and learn from each other well. Why is this not possible here? I imagine it most surely is, if not for the fact that DROD is an obscure game and Caravel is obscure along with it and not many "regulars" can appreciate much of anything here (too much upper-college-level stuff). Oh, right, and that most individuals here simply cannot stand having their buttons pushed.
I'm actually vaguely familiar with that forum, and I'd hazard a guess that part of it's stability is that it has so many members that petty squabbles or inappropriate posts can be brushed away fairly easy.

But yeah, if people could try to be conciliatory for, you know, the first reply if nothing else, we'd halve our flamewars right there, as most of the bickering is more over social faux pas than entrenched beliefs. Which makes it all the more silly really.
07-07-2011 at 01:32 AM
Banjooie
Can't help but notice that for all that I am hearing about this violent vitriol, I just saw a thread that would normally be basically a cauldron of jokes at someone's expense be a fairly reasonable discussion followed by the /inevitable/ backtracking being greeted with 'hey cool' instead of the infinite lols.

I'm also not going to lie, but when someone lists literally their biggest pet peeves in order, my first instinct is to try to craft a post that encompasses all of them in one go. However, in this newfound sense of /love and consideration/ we are all up in I guess I should actually eschew that exciting intellectual challenge for now.

ANYWAY since I guess it might be entertaining to actually address the thread's whole thing, I suppose I might suggest that when you have tensions bubble over a certain degree, people are still all
Up In ThE HaRsHnEsS WhErE ThEiR HeArT iS aT. >:o) hOnK HoNk
So in that vein, things that they might otherwise continue to let seethe under the surface are unleashed and the tragic, apocalyptic final destruction of the forum takes place. Oh, wait, that's not what happens, we have a short back and forth and everything gets dealt with surprisingly easily.

Do you know what I do love about these forums, though? For all the little quirks and foibles, we really do an excellent job of keeping it down to one intolerable member (and me) at all times. Everyone who sticks around tends to be generally an okay person, I mean, Jeff improved, Pilchard made some pretty awesome holds, UrAvgAzn brought down some srs bsns contributions, really, once they survive the initial onslaught they bring upon themselves-A lot of members seem to have spent their teenage years GROWING UP on this forum, in a lot of ways.

And you know, I kinda have to ask this. Would the forum automatically be better if it had more people on it? Do we actually have the moderation to handle a sudden upsurge in the number of posts all up in the hizzy? I mean, I see at least three new people who seem to be sticking around, they seem to be alright, and I'd be really hesitant to point out anyone who I personally have 'bullied off the forum. Actually, I'd be incredibly hesitant to point out ANYONE who has bullied anyone off. I mean, for god's sakes, people, we didn't even get rid of MINIMIKE and I'm pretty sure we spent every single thread he was in doing nothing but making fun of him. matthewpd is around and we derail every single thread into what is honestly pretty grand.

If you're honestly looking at these forums thinking they're unfriendly to newcomers, I honestly suggest you try any other forum on the internet that isn't so large they can't keep TRACK of newcomers.

If you want the Order of the Stick, go make a thread on that forum asking about update frequency, watch them descend on you like locusts. Locusts made entirely out of bees. Bees that spit tinier bees.

edit: edited for excruciatingly tiny yet critical reasons

[Last edited by Banjooie at 07-07-2011 06:52 AM]
07-07-2011 at 06:52 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I haven't left the forum, but I only post when I know I can contribute something to the topic.

I agree that some people should think twice before posting,
but the main problem is that everybody read posts like they want to hear it.
And so missing out the point or think it's personal.

If I see people missing the point in a topic, I don't see why I should react,
because 95% of time, they will "miss"-read the comment on something, and a "point-missing-war" get started.
The second reason I don't post is, there are enough people with common sence who play referee and try to solve the conflicts.
So good job to those people.

And what's the main reason we are here?
Yes, to beat DROD, so we need each other to help us get through the hard parts of the game.

:D

07-07-2011 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I find it disgusting to hear that some people are still suggesting that it's fine to harass other forumites, especially Caravel Customers.

Caravel Games LLC does not like their customers being harassed. It does not condone such behavio(u)r.

If anyone feels that they are being treated unfriendly on this Caravel Forum, can contact Caravel. Caravel doesn't like unhappy customers, and you might be helped.

People who thinks it's okay to treat other people badly may find themselves on the receiving end of the Order of the Stick. :)

Please, be excellent to each other.

[Last edited by Tim at 07-07-2011 11:34 AM]
07-07-2011 at 11:30 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
:huh

A generic misplaced post quickly degenerates into a full-blown slapfight, and 12th thinks the resulting :facepalm: is about him specifically rather than that? I mean, I'm sure I've unloaded it on him specifically before, but seriously, there's a much more obvious context.

You're both (12th and Rogue) free to push and pull and torque your interpretation into the most negative one possible if you really want to, but that's usually not the right one and just leads to more unnecessary slapfights. Like, this one.

NB: Post not forced by Tim waving his (is it even his?) stick around. Bring it, dude.

07-07-2011 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Receiving end of Order of the Stick, eh?

So, whatever I'm being threatened with, I'll get it in small doses, several weeks apart?
07-07-2011 at 09:18 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
What happens if you dilute a mimic potion?
07-08-2011 at 02:37 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Rabscuttle wrote:
The mimic only partially looks like the drinker and only mimics part of the drinker's moves?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-08-2011 at 10:53 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Rabscuttle wrote:
You get two bottles of water.
07-08-2011 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Rabscuttle wrote:
Maybe if you dilute it enough you'll have a homeopathic "remedy" for the sensed-presence effect.
07-08-2011 at 01:00 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1073
The real reason behind this is that the forum is made of people and people are stupid. And the internet happens to multiply this supidity to new levels of stupid. And sadly, that stupid seems to manifest into malice sometimes.

Perhaps the forum needs two Announcements. A news one, and then one of the older ones. You know, 'You're talking to real life people' or 'Be Excellent to each other'. A little a reminder can go a long way. Hey, maybe we could remind peope to post? ;)

Oh, also:

If you want the Order of the Stick, go make a thread on that forum asking about update frequency, watch them descend on you like locusts. Locusts made entirely out of bees. Bees that spit tinier bees.

Maybe they get tired of answering a question that's answered in the FAQ, and gets repeated by people who don't read it? And you know, the updates are tired to the authors health, so there's probably some amount of percieving the askers as selfish. But I'm not getting involved there beyond reading, because the stupid theories are pretty much related to all of five topics, containing the same thing evry time.

Back on topic, let's all remember tha there's an actual person behind each post, and they don't know everything about you.

07-08-2011 at 04:46 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (+3)  
Just want to butt in to say that for years I've always enjoyed how friendly, helpful and intelligent people on this forum, and I don't have a clue what this is all about.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to what thread this thread is referring to?

Is it *really* about a facepalm smiley that people have taken offence to? Because I struggle to believe there's any actual enmity here.

Looking back at a lot of these argumentative posts, it seems that people are either getting the wrong end of the stick or they're trying to be funny in a good-humoured, but mildly offensive way (come on, we should all know that's how Banjooie (among others) operates - and I (among others) like it like that)

So let's get back to the business of making and playing and rating holds and whatever. We've got some good holds in architecture to review, a ton of holds to play, a new contest, a new SmS and a whole new DROD game coming... I'm sure the caravel team could use some help sorting out ways of getting DROD out to the general public too and widening the community (many suggestions out there, but is anyone doing anything?). So let's stop getting bogged down in squabbles!

07-08-2011 at 10:53 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Jacob wrote:
Just want to butt in to say that for years I've always enjoyed how friendly, helpful and intelligent people on this forum, and I don't have a clue what this is all about.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to what thread this thread is referring to?

Is it *really* about a facepalm smiley that people have taken offence to? Because I struggle to believe there's any actual enmity here.

Looking back at a lot of these argumentative posts, it seems that people are either getting the wrong end of the stick or they're trying to be funny in a good-humoured, but mildly offensive way (come on, we should all know that's how Banjooie (among others) operates - and I (among others) like it like that)

So let's get back to the business of making and playing and rating holds and whatever. We've got some good holds in architecture to review, a ton of holds to play, a new contest, a new SmS and a whole new DROD game coming... I'm sure the caravel team could use some help sorting out ways of getting DROD out to the general public too and widening the community (many suggestions out there, but is anyone doing anything?). So let's stop getting bogged down in squabbles!
Thanks Jakob.

Am feeling the same way.

I love this community. Still!

:)

07-08-2011 at 11:19 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Banjooie wrote:
Actually wait no

The real implication here is that Elfstone has bullied everyone else out as well, and I think that's basically grand
:w00t

Woooooah!!!! I go away on holiday for a few days and this happens?!!!

(Sorry folks - I was away in the West in a cottage which I recently bought and to which I hope I will retire in the foreseeable future - it's a long story - and the cottage does not have a phone never mind broadband.)

*Scurries off to catch up with what's been going on*

07-10-2011 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Elfstone you are not allowed to retire to a cottage that doesn't have internet. :|
07-10-2011 at 08:48 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Rabscuttle wrote:
You get a diluted mimic potion. If you dilute it again, you get an uncursed potion of water.
07-10-2011 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I think what's critical here is somehow we've successfully managed to--

Is the thread back on track if we're still talking about water supplies?
07-11-2011 at 07:36 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Banjooie wrote:
Elfstone you are not allowed to retire to a cottage that doesn't have internet. :|
Oh . . . :-O

Why not? :?

(Sorry to see that people have been girning. It seems to have settled down however and that's a Good Thing. Not sure that saying anything else is useful at this stage.)

07-11-2011 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Elfstone wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Oh . . . :-O

Why not? :?
Because we'll miss you. :(

07-11-2011 at 08:23 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Is there something in the forum's water supply?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com