Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Frankenstein's Wanderer (The Official June Contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged

File: SampleWanderer.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Frankenstein's Wanderer (+3)  
Contest end - 23rd June. Get your entries in

Note, the Wanderer script was slightly corrected today, 18 hours after the initial post of the contest. Please read the script and ensure you're using the most current version of the Wanderer, the one that does not re-appear after conquering a room

Frankenstein's Wanderer

The scientists of the Empire have been busy this year. Not only have they managed to increase the reserve supply of aumtlich by 14%, they've found a faster method of brewing tea, a new type of food...

...and they've created a new monster. As yet, it is unnamed... but looks remarkably similar to a Mud Coordinator of the Empire. There are differences around the eyes, but the resemblance is uncanny. It's still deadly, and thus potentially useful to the Empire. Fortunately, 149th Budget Appraiser has found enough supplies to fund an experiment into the uses of this creation in dungeons and other defense systems. Therefore you, the architect, must design and submit a short hold making full use of the new monster, which has been temporarily named "The Wanderer"

Rules of the Contest

1) Other than the Wanderers, no other visible/accessible NPCs can be used. This is to make sure the player can easily distinguish the Wanderer. You're allowed other NPCs for scripting/cutscene purposes, or for speech etc, but please don't have any others where the player can hit them. It'll get confusing!
2) You are allowed to use any TCB elements, though please restrict yourself to a single exit staircase.
3) All rooms must be possible. If a room is not possible, your hold will be disqualified. Be prepared to provide demos if asked.
4) Due to a quirk in the scripting... every room that contains a Wanderer must contain at least one other slayable monster.
5) Make the hold short, but fun. 4-8 rooms should be enough to get the point across.
6) Regarding versions... now that 3.2 has been released, it will be assumed that all holds will use 3.2. If you don't have it yet, you may download the patch or the full version if you have it at this page
7) The contest will run for three weeks. Last submission date is June 23rd, entries posted after that will not be accepted. When you're finished, please submit your hold to the marked thread. Note that it won't be a hidden submission thread, all entries submitted will be visible from the start. Feel free to ask other people questions about their holds, or ask for help :) After the three weeks have elapsed, there will be a 1-2 week voting period (depending on how many entries there are. If there's only a few it'll be one week, if there's more it'll be two weeks)
8) Don't use custom graphics for your character. Keep it looking like a mud coordinator.
9) If any entry does not follow these rules, it will be disqualified. I will try and check the holds, but I can't promise to get through them all, you are responsible for making sure your entry follows the rules and has Wanderers that work. If you have any queries, troubles or questions ask. I mean it. Ask.

How to include Wanderers in your hold (READ CAREFULLY)

The Wanderer is a simple creation of scripting. Other architects (myself included) have had similar monsters before. To include a Wanderer in your hold... there are two possible methods. Please read this section very very carefully, and if you have any questions - ask.

Method 1 - doing it manually

1) Create a new NPC. Click on it to get the Customize Character screen
2) Click the Characters Button
3) In the New Character Name box, type Wanderer. Click "Add Character"
4) Set the graphic of this new Character to "Mud Coordinator". Click OK.
5) You'll be back on the Customize Character screen. On the right hand list, set your character to be a Wanderer, it should now be in the list. Click the "Visible" tickbox.
6) Add the following scripting...
If ...
Wait for clean room
Disappear
End
If End
Imperative Deadly
Imperartive Required target
Imperative Flexible beelining
Label "Monster Loop"
Move to Player, with Single Step turned on. and Forbid Turning turned off.
Go to "Monster Loop"

There you go, you've got a Wanderer. Copy and paste it as appropriate.

Method 2 - here's one I made earlier

If the above method is a bit complicated for you, here's a simpler one. I've made a hold that has a Wanderer in already, feel free to copy/paste the Wanderer from it.

1) Download the attached hold "SampleWanderer.hold". Import it.
2) Make a copy for you to edit. Rename it to something appropriate.

Then edit this hold, copying and pasting the Wanderer as desired.

Properties of a Wanderer

Now, this bit is where it gets interesting. Using the above scripting... wanderers have the following properties:

- They will move towards a player in a similar manner to an aumtlich, able to move around 1-square obstacles. This includes your sword, though they don't dodge like a goblin. They are also deadly.
- You are required to kill all of them (and all other monsters) to end a room
- They are vulnerable to any normal method of monster killing - bombs, briar, swords, hooks, hot tiles, adders, bridges falling etc
- They can step on scrolls, but not potions.

- But, they are immune to the effects of Brains, Decoys and Invisibility.
- They are also strong enough to move platforms and mirrors.
- They will trigger tokens.
- They can step on tunnels.
- This gives them a unique puzzle potential not found in any other official monster.

Please note carefully, it's Rule 4 above. Due to a quirk in scripting, there must be at least one slayable monster in the room with the Wanderer, or it won't be recognised as required to complete the room. Don't fall into this trap.

Prizes

The Budget Appraisers have graciously decided to award...

100 rank points and a prize from the prize pile to the best hold
50 rank points to the runner up
25 rank points to the second runner up
10 rank points to anyone whose first contest this is.

Best of luck, and get building!

[Last edited by calamarain at 06-15-2008 06:33 PM]
06-02-2008 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Frankenstein's Wanderer (+2)  
calamarain wrote:
6) Add the following scripting...
Imperative Deadly
Imperartive Required target
Imperative Flexible beelining
Label "Monster Loop"
Move to Player, with Single Step turned on. and Forbid Turning turned off.
Go to "Monster Loop"

To save y'all a little time, what calamarain meant was:
  Imperative 7
  Imperative 3
  Imperative 10
Label Monster Loop
  Move to Player 0,1
  Go to Monster Loop

Copy that block of code, and in the scripting dialogue press "control-shift-B". That'll get you the right scripting. (Or you can do it the long way, of course.)
06-02-2008 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Frankenstein's Wanderer (+4)  
A few small notes:
1) Regarding rule 4: A conquer token works as well.
2) Regarding properties: The fact that they can step on scrolls is pretty normal; that they can walk on tunnels is less trivial though.
3) Important quirk: As the script is currently a wanderer will reappear on reentering a previously cleared room. I'd suggest either list this as quirk, or add a few lines at the beginning of the script to end the NPC properly. The following lines should do the job:
  If ... 
        Wait for clean room 
     Disappear 
     End 
  If End 

06-02-2008 at 12:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Frankenstein's Wanderer (0)  
Can I have non-Beethro player role?

And can I have custom style of a room(I think "yes", but still must ask)?

And is there limit on Wanderers in one room(I want to have 3 in one room, for example)?

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-02-2008 02:07 PM]
06-02-2008 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
mxvladi wrote:
Can I have non-Beethro player role?

And can I have custom style of a room(I think "yes", but still must ask)?

And is there limit on Wanderers in one room(I want to have 3 in one room, for example)?
There is nothing to imply that zou shouldn't be allowed any one of those things.
06-02-2008 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Are they supposed to trigger all sorts of tokens?

06-02-2008 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
icon Re: Frankenstein's Wanderer (+1)  
NOTE

Jutt was correct earlier about there being a flaw in the scripting - the Wanderer would re-appear after a room was conquered. Thankyou muchly Jutt!

Please re-check the initial entry for the changes to make to ensure that the Wanderer stays dead once it's gone. I've uploaded the downloadable attachment too.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE USING THE RIGHT WANDERER.

06-02-2008 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rheb: Yes, they are supposed to trigger tokens. This is now in the initial post.

mxvladi: Nothing in the rules against a custom room style. Nothing in the rules against a non-Beethro player role - I'm assuming you want to use a Slayer :) And yes, you can have as many Wanderers as you like in the hold, and as many as you like in a room.

06-02-2008 at 06:55 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
So do I understand this right, does the monster just look like a character? :?

06-02-2008 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
techant wrote:
So do I understand this right, does the monster just look like a character? :?
Well, I guess the rules don't forbid using custom tiles for your wanderer - there's just no template being supplied, so you'll have to roll your own.

np: Fanu and Bill Laswell - The Incal (Lodge)

06-02-2008 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Briareos wrote:
np: Fanu and Bill Laswell - The Incal (Lodge)
? what does this mean?

06-02-2008 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: Frankenstein's Wanderer (+1)  
np = Now Playing. It's the song Briareos was listening to when he posted.

06-02-2008 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
I could have included a custom graphic for this character - I just didn't because when you make a copy of a hold, you have to re-import the custom graphic - it doesn't copy across with the hold. Which means people who aren't comfortable with scripting would have to do the long method in order to get a Wanderer, rather than just using the pre-made hold I created for them.

So please keep your wanderers looking like mud coordinators. No custom graphics for this contest.

06-02-2008 at 10:37 PM
calamarain
Alright. 3 weeks to make your holds. However, this may lead to a problem... since it means that everyone will work on their holds and submit them all at the last minute, thus not allowing anyone to learn from them.

So I'm adding an extra spice to the mix.

The first person to submit their entry gains 2 rank points.
Once the contest is done, the first entry submitted that gains over a 6 score gains 6 rank points (this may be the same person as above).

Consider this an incentive not to wait until the last minute :)

06-03-2008 at 05:20 AM
calamarain
mxvladi, please use the Wanderer script that's listed in the title post, not your own creation. We're trying to keep this as standard as possible.

Yes, I know your method works, but everyone's needs to be the same.

06-04-2008 at 12:36 PM
techant
calamarain wrote:
Alright. 3 weeks to make your holds.

Do you have a date for that? I can only work on my hold on Sundays so I am checking if I have the 20th to work on or not. :lol

I have made some progress so far just nothing ready to post. This is an interesting challenge. My rooms are not to hard I hope that doesn't hurt me. I got stuck in mxvladi training room. :blush

06-10-2008 at 12:36 AM
calamarain
Sorry! I didn't update this thread, only the submission topic. The ending date for this contest is June 23rd, no entries submitted after that date will be accepted.

I'm updating the original post to reflect this.

06-10-2008 at 11:29 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
mxvladi wrote:
I got stuck in mxvladi training room. :blush

If I correctly remember, you can watch all demos from main menu "Watch demo" button. Or you can't?
In general, you may watch demos from the title screen if the author has marked them by turning on the "View from title screen" check box from the Demos Screen.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-10-2008 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Well I am glad I will have the extra Sunday to work, thanks for the update.

As to the demo I didn't look. :blush

06-11-2008 at 01:14 AM
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77

File: CZs A little chaos 1E.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Just finished mxvladi's hold. There were some really neat rooms, although a couple might have had unintended solutions.

Click here to view the secret text

Also attached is a variation on 1E using hot plates to stop sword movement.

06-11-2008 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Thanks for comments about my entry.

1N 1E can be beaten without using the Wanderer.

How? Anyway, I'll look at it more observant tomorrow(today I can't). Though have no ideas yet. Mud can't grow on orthos, muddies(I mean mud babies) don't burn on hot tiles...

1N the western hot tile need not be used.

I know, thanks anyway. I just was too busy last days to remove western hot tile and upload new version. :(
06-11-2008 at 07:43 PM
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77

File: CZ 1N1E Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
mxvladi wrote:
1N 1E can be beaten without using the Wanderer.

How? Anyway, I'll look at it more observant tomorrow(today I can't). Though have no ideas yet. Mud can't grow on orthos, muddies(I mean mud babies) don't burn on hot tiles...

Demo attached. I think if you removed the western bomb it would fix the problem.

06-12-2008 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I think I might be able to finish my contest hold soon. But I have a couple of questions about the rules.

1. Can I use visible NPCs for story in non-puzzle rooms?

2. The second rule about the staircase confused me a bit. Can I have more than one level in my hold, or am I only allowed to use one staircase for the entire hold?

06-15-2008 at 12:23 AM
calamarain
You can use a visible NPC for story in a non-puzzle room, just make sure it's not a Mud Coordinator - it should look different. Use a Citizen perhaps.

As for stairs, keep this to being a one-level hold with a single exit staircase.

06-15-2008 at 01:14 AM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484

File: oops.gif (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 530 times.
calamarain wrote:
As for stairs, keep this to being a one-level hold with a single exit staircase.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 06-15-2008 07:21 AM]
06-15-2008 at 07:20 AM
techant
calamarain wrote:
Contest end - 23rd June. Get your entries in

I just realized I didn't know if that was your time or mine? :blush I plan to work today which is June 22 for me, and I hope to post tonight. That might still be June 22 for me but June 23 for you. Is that O.K.

I am almost done. I need to get the demos for a few more rooms. :w00t

06-22-2008 at 10:29 AM
calamarain
Yep, that's fine.

06-22-2008 at 05:58 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Unfortunately, due to my hold export bug, I will not be entering this contest. However, I will say that I did, in fact, have a hold that I had planned on submitting, and when the bug is fixed I will post the hold in this thread so that it can be added to the compilation.

I've been playing some of the other entries and I'm impressed at what some of you have done, so I will be voting and commenting when the poll arrives :)

06-22-2008 at 08:32 PM
calamarain
The contest is now closed, thankyou all for entering :)

06-25-2008 at 12:30 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yeah, he was going to compile the entries but he's been pretty busy as of late. I'd still like to see him finish that, because it would give me an excuse to publish this Wanderer hold I've got laying around that I made after the contest.

03-15-2009 at 11:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Frankenstein's Wanderer (The Official June Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com