Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cooperate to the Death! (A semi-cooperative contest)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon Re: Cooperate to the Death! (+1)  
I'm definitely up for some more. I'll also be contributing one additional point to TripleM since we had agreed to split the points for those last two goblins..

02-08-2018 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Cooperate to the Death! (0)  
I'll continue. Maybe I'll even continue to avoid being on either end of fratricide, who knows.

02-08-2018 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Yep, I'm happy to continue.
02-08-2018 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I'm up for more.

02-08-2018 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'd play again, given the opportunity.

02-08-2018 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Sounds like round 2 is a go; I'll post it tonight (~4-5 hours).
02-08-2018 at 10:50 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I think I'll pass on this. I won't be participating going forward, so you should probably remove my character.

02-08-2018 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

File: Room2.png (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 486 times.
License: Public Domain
Alright, room 2!

Click here to view the secret text

Move order is determined by points in the last round; lower goes earlier. Thus, players are in this order:

skell           0    Decoy
Chaco           1    Stalwart
Crimson Moon    7    Clone
Insoluble       13   Beethro
superluminal    13   Guard
navithmastero   14   Soldier
PigmyWubba      16   Mimic
TripleM         17   Goblin King
Dischorran      17   Slayer

In this room, killing a roach is 1 point, as before. Similarly, depressing a pressure plate (or pushing something onto one) is 3 points. But before you say "But there aren't very many points in this room!", this room has a twist: that's not a normal seeding beacon. Hitting it spawns 4 more roaches in the corners of the room. A total of 30 points may be obtained from killing roaches (after which the value of each kill is adjusted downward).

In order for the roaches in the top left and the bottom right to reach the hot tiles, one of each of the pairs of pressure plates must be pressed. To open the top-left or bottom-right path, all four of the pressure plates on that side of the room must be pressed.

Room 2, Round 1 submissions end in negative 323 weeks, 4 days.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-09-2018 02:28 AM]
02-09-2018 at 02:27 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
If I were playing (and I don't really have time to), what I'd do at this point is say "I'll give 10 whole points to player so-and-so if their move has them step directly onto the pressure plate behind them :D". And see if anyone takes me up on it.

Here are some links to Things!

02-09-2018 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Like the room concept - though with 9 players each having to guess 5 moves ahead at a time, this is going to be utter mayhem :D
02-09-2018 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Questions!

1. How does spawning work with blocked tiles? Usual DROD rule of appearing on the first turn on which it's clear? At least, I think that's the usual DROD rule.

2. How is player stunning handled? Do players not stun, do they lose their move for that turn, or do their moves get delayed into some weirdness at the end of the set of five?

02-09-2018 at 04:37 AM
Someone Else
Roaches will wait to spawn, as per the standard for Appear in DROD. Players cannot be stunned.
02-09-2018 at 04:53 AM
Someone Else

Downloaded 404 times.
Room 2, round 1 had a lot happen! In particular, Skell avoided being killed first round with a mad dash to the seeding beacon, and TripleM tried to set up to knock Crimson Moon onto the NNW pressure plate. Unfortunately for both of them, Crimson Moon failed to submit moves, and 3 (!) people submitted moves for Crimson Moon. The one that was chosen at random happened to be 8QQQQ, pushing TripleM onto the NNW plate.

As you don't get points for actions submitted on your behalf, this ends up with two players unable to move and no change in points!

Interestingly, only Dischorran submitted a sequence of moves that would have a roach on a plate first round - but he was unfortunate enough not to have it move toward him.

Chaco           1    Stalwart
Insoluble       13   Beethro
navithmastero   14   Soldier
PigmyWubba      16   Mimic
Dischorran      17   Slayer

Room 2, Round 2 submissions end in negative 323 weeks, 2 days.
[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-11-2018 02:23 AM]
02-11-2018 at 02:23 AM
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
Oh, I missed the first round. I might as well just drop out of the contest at this point. School's too distracting and I keep missing all these deadlines.
02-11-2018 at 10:00 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Crimson Moon wrote:
Oh, I missed the first round. I might as well just drop out of the contest at this point. School's too distracting and I keep missing all these deadlines.

I wondered if I could take over for Crimson Moon? :D

Never mind I just realized that CM is going no where fast :w00t

[Last edited by techant at 02-12-2018 08:28 AM]
02-12-2018 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Well, he's kind of... trapped right now, on a force arrow. So he's more or less out anyway.
02-12-2018 at 08:08 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Someone Else wrote:
Well, he's kind of... trapped right now, on a force arrow. So he's more or less out anyway.

Yes that is very true, maybe I can join for room 3 if CM is still out.

02-12-2018 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
As per PM discussion, If Dischorran doesn't move anywhere towards the north in the next turn (i.e. 7, 8, or 9) I'll be tossing them an extra point

02-12-2018 at 12:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

Downloaded 282 times.
Room 2, round 2 also had a lot happen! Chaco was unfortunately killed due to superluminal not submitting any moves, while Insoluble and PigmyWubba both landed roaches on pressure plates.

Chaco           4    Stalwart
Insoluble       16   Beethro
navithmastero   16   Soldier
PigmyWubba      19   Mimic
Dischorran      20   Slayer

Room 2, Round 3 submissions end in negative 323 weeks.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-13-2018 02:39 AM]
02-13-2018 at 02:39 AM
Someone Else

Downloaded 238 times.
Round 3, on the other hand, is a bit quieter.

Insoluble       17   Beethro
PigmyWubba      22   Mimic
Dischorran      23   Slayer

Room 2, Round 3 submissions end in negative 322 weeks, 5 days.
02-15-2018 at 01:59 AM
Someone Else

Downloaded 200 times.
Ooh! I'm late! Sorry, guys.
Round 4 looks like cleanup, and round 5 will likely be much the same. While I could go on, I don't think there will be a room 3.

Insoluble       17   Beethro
PigmyWubba      24   Mimic
Dischorran      24   Slayer

Room 2, Round 4 submissions end in negative 322 weeks, 3 days.
Alternately, I could call it here, as it seems like the last moves are foreordained. Let me know what you think.

02-17-2018 at 06:46 AM
Someone Else

Downloaded 164 times.
icon Re: Cooperate to the Death! (+5)  
And that's it! Splitting first and second, we have PigmyWubba and Dischorran!

Third place goes to Insoluble!

Well, that was fun, but slower than I'd like, and didn't seem to have the tactical difficulty I was hoping for. Maybe it's just different from the outside, but maybe you'll share your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for competing, everyone!

skell           10    Decoy
Crimson Moon    12    Clone
Insoluble       31   Beethro
navithmastero   26   Soldier
PigmyWubba      35   Mimic
TripleM         22   Goblin King
Dischorran      35   Slayer

02-19-2018 at 03:10 AM
Insoluble
Someone Else wrote:
Well, that was fun, but slower than I'd like, and didn't seem to have the tactical difficulty I was hoping for. Maybe it's just different from the outside, but maybe you'll share your thoughts on the matter.
I think there's a level of tension involved with not knowing what your opponents are going to do that maybe doesn't come across to an observer. There were definitely a couple of instances in which another player could have royally messed with my plans if they had tried. In fact, I probably gave Dischorran an extra point I didn't really need to just as insurance against such a thing. In the last couple of turns PigmyWubba could have totally wrecked me, but I trusted that he was going to play rationally and realize that, as fun as getting me killed would be, it would not really benefit him. You might think that it's safe to just trust that other players will play rationally, but then you have folks like skell who went and released a bunch of roaches on us in the first few turns of round 2 and basically stayed put afterwards, so it's hard to know for sure.

There were also some pretty intense PM conversations going on behind the scenes. TrippleM and I had several PMs back and forth ever day during round 1 trying to find an efficient way to kill those goblins. We had to revise our strategy several times as it became clear that other players were coming in to try to get some of the action. I think this was a contest that was actually much more active and intense for the folks participating. I can see how it might have felt a bit dry to folks observing, but having the added difficulty of trying to predict what your opponents will do and build contingencies into your plan to account for this made things pretty interesting for me at least.

Also, thanks for hosting this contest Someone Else. It was super cool.

02-19-2018 at 03:42 AM
Dischorran
Thanks for running this! Seems like a lot of work on your end, but I had fun with it. Given that amount of work, I doubt this could have gone much faster.

I coordinated with navithmastero in the first room when it became clear that the northeast chamber was ours for the taking; otherwise, I pretty much just found the best opportunities I could while staying away from other players. When Insoluble offered me a point, I had already entered moves to score a couple roach kills elsewhere anyway, but I felt no obligation to tell him that.

The main flaw I see is that getting knocked out early is both very punitive and not so much fun. Maybe a better plan would be to respawn at the next round with a point penalty, and remove the point bonus for surviving until the end. Allow a suicide option too for the smitemasters stuck on arrows. And make a clear end to the game and stick to it - the prisoner's dilemma of cooperation becomes very different when we know whether or not there will be future rounds.

02-19-2018 at 04:04 AM
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I made some pretty dumb mistakes this contest. I also didn't bother PMing anybody, and it showed! Maybe I should butt out of social-heavy contests like this in the future.

Good coordination, Someone Else.

02-19-2018 at 04:48 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
Big thanks to Someone Else for running this contest, it was a hell of a lot of fun to take part in. I'm sure we all really appreciate the work you put into to it too! Well done to everyone, particularly the winners Dischorran and Pigmywubba!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

02-19-2018 at 08:55 AM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cooperate to the Death! (A semi-cooperative contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com