Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Discuss the new TSS features (Spoilers)
Page 1 of 12
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Discuss the new TSS features (+4)  
50 is a nice round number, so now that 50 people have solved the Bar Riddle, I think enough time has passed to start discussing the implications.

Click here to view the secret text

04-15-2013 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+2)  
TripleM wrote:
The difference I noticed there is that

[Last edited by Tahnan at 04-15-2013 06:21 AM]
04-15-2013 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
TripleM wrote:

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-15-2013 07:51 AM]
04-15-2013 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254

And oh,

PS:

[Last edited by The Architest at 04-15-2013 05:51 PM]
04-15-2013 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062

04-15-2013 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Rank Points: 201
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (0)  

04-16-2013 at 07:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Rank Points: 107

04-17-2013 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+1)  
Zaratustra00 wrote:

04-17-2013 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
D.Craven_0ne wrote:
Well, it's because

No, seriously, this is a spoilers thread. Actually, it's not spoilers -- this is more like a preview thread. I don't know of anyone who hears of a new Mario or Zelda game and says, "No, no! Don't show me that trailer! I don't want it to be spoiled for me!" Of course, DROD is a bit different than Mario, and those people could exist, but I don't expect them to be reading this thread. So, I'm going to dispense with any secret tags and start sharing some concrete details here about what you see in the trailer. Writing it up all at once would be a wall of text, and will take some time, so I'll do some pieces here and there as time permits.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-18-2013 05:55 AM]
04-18-2013 at 05:51 AM
mrimer

File: smooth lighting.png (92.1 KB)
Downloaded 2224 times.
License: Public Domain
In the first scene of the TSS teaser trailer, I wanted to show off a minor but effective upgrade to our lighting engine. You can now see how the player's light and shadow is rendered in real time as you take steps.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-21-2013 07:02 AM]
04-18-2013 at 08:11 AM
The Architest
It looked pretty, have to say! Does new lighting engine affect other characters? :) For example, can they block off the light from light posts?

[Last edited by The Architest at 04-18-2013 02:10 PM]
04-18-2013 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The Architest wrote:
For example, can they block off the light from light posts?
No, we aren't applying a 3D model to the sprites to cast shadows.

04-18-2013 at 05:31 PM
mrimer

File: temporal split.png (65.4 KB)
Downloaded 2070 times.
icon Re: Discuss the new TSS features (+3)  
The second scene of the trailer features a new game element:

Temporal Split Token

The temporal split token is an ancient technology that Beethro uncovers during the course of the game. It takes a localized quantum snapshot of the user and generates a proximate resonant projection.

In simpler terms, this is pretty much what TripleM surmised:

...this is a time-travel token - you can step on it, make a bunch of moves, then hit a key (action key?), to travel back in time, when you can partner up with your original self. That would be awesome puzzle potential.
So, you'll note the trailer features a "dramatization" of this mechanic, not showing the moves taken by yourself before rewinding and playing the same span of time again, alongside your temporal projection (which is still really you, so don't kill yourself, otherwise either your universe will spontaneously reboot due to paradox, or you'll have to restart the room).

You use the Clone key to rewind, and you can't switch to a different physical entity, or significantly change your physical properties while inputting moves, otherwise the quantum snapshot goes out of phase (i.e., consequently, the token won't activate on command).

It's true there is a good amount of puzzle potential around this element. The dev team has already built a surprisingly large number of puzzles featuring it. They're pretty fun, imho, and we're working to make them be the right amount of mind-bending.

DROD in 4-D FTW!

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-21-2013 07:02 AM]
04-21-2013 at 06:58 AM
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
mrimer wrote: DROD in 4-D FTW!
:shhocking

I still only count 3 total Ds though.

[I knew someone would realize that, but don't rain on my parade. Just wait till next post! -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-21-2013 07:25 AM]
04-21-2013 at 07:15 AM
mrimer

File: spear.png (498.9 KB)
Downloaded 1950 times.
The third scene features a few new features. Probably the most notable is a new kind of weapon:

The Spear

Again, this works much as TripleM gathered:

...some kind of spear. It also seems to 'push' and 'stun' roaches in a way resembling mirrors, freezing them for one turn, so can probably only kill via the sharp front edge.

The spear can only stab via a forward thrust, and other movements can push and stun monsters, mirrors, and certain other game elements.

In the scene, you can also see a Spear Token on the west side, which works as a weapon rack. Step on it to grab the spear and set down your current weapon in its place, and then you can swap back at a later time. Beethro will have certain sections of the game that need to be played with other weapons. These weapons have special properties that offset their weaknesses from the more civilized light saber--uh, I mean, Really Big Sword.

I snuck a third new game feature into this image that isn't actually featured in this particular room, just so we could show it off in more than one way in the trailer:

Overhead Image Layer

In addition to the custom image you can provide in a room for custom floor/walls/pit graphics, the engine now supports a second custom image layer, for displaying overhead images with alpha layer transparency. So, the overhead grate isn't a room element -- you can use these responsibly and to good effect for decoration, and to give a greater sense of depth to your areas.

For a bonus -- in this image you can also see a new graphic that didn't make it into the teaser trailer:

Updated roach queen graphics

The more bulbous shape will make roach queens a bit easier to immediately distinguish from regular roaches. Alex has even put together a couple of additional roach queen mods that you'll be able to swap in manually if you prefer.

So, that's six new things so far, and we're only up to the third scene in the trailer. More to come!

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-21-2013 07:27 AM]
04-21-2013 at 07:18 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
mrimer wrote:
For a bonus -- in this image you can also see a new graphic that didn't make it into the teaser trailer:

I can't see any new graphics in that image (maybe I'm not looking hard enough :P)

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

04-21-2013 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
If I had that cute roach queen --- that wouldn't spawn man-eating roaches after me --- I would be quite happy. :)
04-21-2013 at 07:50 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
navithmastero wrote:
I can't see any new graphics in that image

mrimer wrote:
you can also see a new graphic that didn't make it into the teaser trailer: Updated roach queen graphics

04-21-2013 at 07:52 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
mrimer wrote:
Updated roach queen graphics

The more bulbous shape will make roach queens a bit easier to immediately distinguish from regular roaches.
Yo mama's so fat she needed new graphics to something something something?

04-21-2013 at 07:56 AM
navithmastero
TripleM wrote:
5) Mario-esque Chain Chomps! Looks like an invulnerable monster chained to a wall. The movement looks quite difficult to predict, as the head can jump forward a couple of squares at a time depending on how the nearest corner of the chain is bent.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

04-22-2013 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
navithmastero wrote:
TripleM wrote:
5) Mario-esque Chain Chomps! Looks like an invulnerable monster chained to a wall. The movement looks quite difficult to predict, as the head can jump forward a couple of squares at a time depending on how the nearest corner of the chain is bent.

04-22-2013 at 05:29 PM
Someone Else
mrimer wrote:
In the scene, you can also see a Spear Token on the west side, which works as a weapon rack. Step on it to grab the spear and set down your current weapon in its place, and then you can swap back at a later time. Beethro will have certain sections of the game that need to be played with other weapons. These weapons have special properties that offset their weaknesses from the more civilized light saber--uh, I mean, Really Big Sword.
Wait a moment....
light saber
!
lightsaber
We're going to have lightsabers!
04-22-2013 at 07:01 PM
navithmastero
Doom wrote:
Nah. I'm pretty sure it's all roach movement down to every last detail with chains considered obstacles. As for TripleM's point about double turns.. it looks a little confusing because chomp movement seems to be drawn before/faster than player and they overlap mid-animation. But movement-logic wise they're clearly taking 1 turn per move after the player. Also taking orthogonal moves if diagonal is blocked.

Now, predicting how exactly the chain is going to bend seems harder.

Now I think about it, you're right. ;) It's just that the chain part of that doesn't take up the whole tile - it makes it seem like you can almost move where there is a gap, if you see what I mean.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

04-22-2013 at 09:14 PM
mrimer
Did I spell lightsaber incorrectly? I guess I'm not as big a fan as I thought.

04-23-2013 at 09:07 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I think mike was talking about a type of sword that isn't as heavy to carry. Maybe this means that the player will be able to turn more than 45 degrees per turn with it? :w00t

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-23-2013 at 09:25 PM
mrimer

File: pickaxe.png (82.4 KB)
Downloaded 1704 times.
Fourth scene in the trailer shows off

The Pickaxe

Again, I will credit TripleM for spelling out pretty much what it does:
The other weapon looks like a briar hacker. Its two sides are dangerous, but not the front. It pushed and stunned a roach directly in front of it.

The pickaxe can push monsters and objects like the spear, but only in front, with forward motions. It can stab in the other directions.

Its special ability is to cut through briar.

You can also see where Beethro has temporarily set his Really Big Sword in order to make short work of this nasty weed.

And your (unnamed) RBS must have magical properties, because if you enter a room with it but leave the room without it, it'll be right back with you in the next room. Either that, or it's merely a gaming abstraction :)

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-23-2013 09:33 PM]
04-23-2013 at 09:30 PM
mrimer

File: construct.png (111.4 KB)
Downloaded 1667 times.
The fifth scene shows off the mechanized

Construct

Make no mistake. This creature is not a creature. It is not dumb as a rock. This is some serious technology that can track Beethro down with smarter-than-roach movement.

Knock it down, and it will reassemble every thirtieth turn. You'll either have to find ways to destroy it permanently (shove it off a cliff with a pickaxe for giggles!) or clear the room before it reanimates. You must disable them in order to conquer a room. Fortunately, once a room is cleared, they stand down.

For a bonus, as navithmastero observed, you can see here how the Foundation wall texture has been updated.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-23-2013 09:40 PM]
04-23-2013 at 09:39 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Does the Construct have a portrait? User holds have had a wide selection of robot voices over the past few years and it would be nice to have a face for some of them.

04-24-2013 at 12:09 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Chaco wrote:
Does the Construct have a portrait? User holds have had a wide selection of robot voices over the past few years and it would be nice to have a face for some of them.
Yes, I'll make a portrait for it.

-Erik

04-24-2013 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
ErikH2000 wrote:
Chaco wrote:
Yes, I'll make a portrait for it.

-Erik
Confirmation that Erik's doing the portraits. Yay!
04-24-2013 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 12
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Discuss the new TSS features (Spoilers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com