Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Out The Deep End (A 4.0 hold focusing on shallow water!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged

File: Out The Deep End.hold (11.3 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Out The Deep End (+1)  
So basically, I toyed around in the editor for a day or two and managed to crank out this little gem. It's got 7 rooms in it, which is kinda small but better than nothing. I may add a few more rooms as time passes, but there won't be many more than this.

Yes, this might be the first hold to be made in 4.0, but I still took the time to polish the result. After all, I want to make a good set of rooms, not just get some lame prize! :P

Go ahead! Try it and give me your thoughts! :D

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 06-11-2014 12:38 PM]
04-03-2012 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Out The Deep End (+1)  
You win a lame prize all the same.

I wish that man would stay away
04-03-2012 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Out The Deep End (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I toyed around in the editor for a day or two
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I still took the time to polish the result.
Pick one.

The enthusiasm's nice to see, though (if maybe a bit "Look at me! Look at me!" chatroom-wise).

[Last edited by Dischorran at 04-03-2012 01:34 AM]
04-03-2012 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Well, I didn't really do any polishing per se, but I merely made sure the result looked satisfying, rather than it being a bunch of stuff dropped here and there with a fake 'DAA approved' sticker made with crayons on it. :P

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-03-2012 at 01:51 AM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I've only had time to play four rooms so far--I think that's less than half--but I really like it. I'll go the rooms I've done one by one:
I look forward to playing more!

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-06-2012 12:57 AM]
04-06-2012 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Comments on remaining rooms:
Well, that's all. Good hold. I hope to see it published fairly soon.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-07-2012 09:58 PM]
04-07-2012 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...

File: OTDE Aquatic Camouflage 2N1W Victory.demo (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Penwielder was curious to see a demo for 2N1W, so here it is.

Also, I have added checkpoints in 1E and added a new room in the upcoming new version. It should be out fairly soon.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-08-2012 at 12:20 AM
Penwielder

File: PW-OTDE Aquatic Camouflage 2N1W Victory.demo (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Here's my demo of 2N1W. In one or two places, I was just hard on myself,* but note that breaking the wall around the southern nest is just as precise as in yours.

My opinion remains, as I said in chat, that the best solution is probably to change the lower skipper nest to something less aggressive (i.e. just a cockroach) so that experimentation is more manageable. With a change like that, even the 4x4 cluttering my mind wouldn't be a bad thing.

*I could've used the guard to actually kill the nest, not just open the way to it. Not a major influence on the course of the room.

04-08-2012 at 12:38 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Alright, new version!

-Added checkpoints in 1E
-2N1W has been made less tedious and confusing
-Added a room in 2N
-Made the end for 1N1W a slight bit easier.

Enjoy!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 04-08-2012 07:36 PM]
04-08-2012 at 07:31 PM
Penwielder
Played through all of it again.

1N1E: Particularly fun to replay. I'm not really sure why. I guess it's just good and new.
2N1W: A lot better now, in my opinion.
1N1W: There's one less thing to worry about at the end now. That puts the focus more on the main portion of the room. Good.
2N: It took me a while to get this one right. It's quite an interesting room to work with, and not excessively difficult once one gets the basics of it down. It fits in.

You're probably aware that there is still no ending text.

Hopefully someone else gets around to looking at this soon. I think it's in good shape, but it takes more than two people to be sure.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-08-2012 09:13 PM]
04-08-2012 at 09:12 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626

File: deep-end_notes_Chaco.txt (7.3 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Okay, I took a look at the hold and wrote some notes about what I think about it. Overall, I'd agree with Penwielder in that this hold is pretty good, but there are some minor issues that should be looked at and the hold could use some more polish before it's done.

Also, I think that someone who, to put it bluntly, has less experience with horde management than me, should take a look at this hold and say how tough they think the horde rooms in this hold, like 1N1W, 1N and 2N are.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-14-2012 06:21 AM]
04-14-2012 at 06:21 AM
Karipto
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
Chaco wrote: Also, I think that someone who, to put it bluntly, has less experience with horde management than me, should take a look at this hold and say how tough they think the horde rooms in this hold, like 1N1W, 1N and 2N are.
I'm not terrible at horde management, but I'm not exactly good at it either. Of those 3 rooms, 1N was the hardest, and that was because I found it necessary to get 2 horns as soon as possible, so I could help the soldiers better survive. Even then, it was still tough trying to keep them alive long enough.

1N1W - More of a puzzle room, I'd say, as it was only hard until I realized which part to tackle first. Afterwards, it became significantly easier.

2N - Again, it's only tricky getting started. After hitting the first orb, it's just a matter of taking advantage of the land/shallow water (stepping off of it favorably, like oremites) to help clear enough of a path to the next orb. Aside from that, there seemed to be plenty of room for error.

Anyway, I like what I've seen here so far. I'll take a look at the rest of it later.
04-16-2012 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
icon Re: Out The Deep End (+2)  
Two year bump! Here's a new version, which I think has the problems fixed, along with two added secret rooms for those who dare take on the challenge! Do mention if I forgot something!

This should be the final version, so if everything is alright, I'll be publishing this to the HA! :D

Funny though, that what was meant to be the first 4.0 hold ended up becoming potentially one of the last pre-TSS... xP

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 06-08-2014 07:24 PM]
06-08-2014 at 07:24 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I've solved all the rooms except 2E.

I think I'm 1 trick from solving 2E.

I kill one of the western golems at 21,15
I get the eastern golem stuck at 20,16 below the roaches

My problem is that the roaches are 1,3,2 from left to right which makes it impossible to get the golem out onto 18,14 where I need to kill it.

Help please.
06-10-2014 at 06:08 PM
Jeff_Ray...
icon Re: Out The Deep End (+4)  

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 06-10-2014 07:21 PM]
06-10-2014 at 07:20 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Ty jeff, I didn't think of killing the golem a space east of my intended location.

I have solved all the rooms including the secrets.

The rooms are mostly medium difficulty with some thought required.

I don't see any reason not to submit this hold.

Well done Jeff.
06-10-2014 at 09:55 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Alright, thank you for that! :)

I'm going to put a new version with the secret room revamped against an unintended solution I found. I'll wait for more comments; if nothing arises within a day or two I'll send to the HA for processing.

EDIT: Alright, I posted to the HA! Everything's ready for submission, thanks to all the testers! :D

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 06-11-2014 11:34 PM]
06-11-2014 at 12:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Out The Deep End (A 4.0 hold focusing on shallow water!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com