Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cooperate to the Death! (A semi-cooperative contest)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged

File: Cooperate to the Death.hold (8.9 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Cooperate to the Death! (+2)  
Sometimes a dungeon is messy. Sometimes it is moldy. And sometimes, it can't be cleared by just one delver. Sometimes you need - well, not a team - a group of delvers, all sort of working together.

Each of you is a smitemaster, working together to clear a dungeon. This means that each participant controls one character, Smite to the Death style.

However! This is a cooperative contest. You will have to work together to clear the dungeon, as anything less will mean ending up as roach food. Of course, that doesn't mean that as the room nears completion you won't accidentally open a door early or take a breather getting off some hot tiles. You are in this for yourself, after all, and those greckles don't earn themselves.

The contest is scored as follows:
- 1 point per monster slain (there may be a maximum number of points available from monsters depending on the room, in which case the value of each monster will decrease accordingly).
- 5 points for clearing the room, given to each surviving delver.
- 5 points for clearing the room and being able to exit. This is simply determined by who has a valid path to the exit; multiple delvers can exit over a single trapdoor and no delver can exit through a cracked wall.
- Various points for certain accomplishments: striking orbs, dropping trapdoors, etc. These will be explained upon the unveiling of each room.
- -5 points for killing a fellow delver. This penalty is only incurred if the delver in question dies on your action: bridge dropped, stabbed, pushed off the edge. It is not incurred if you block their move off a hot tile or neglect to kill a monster that will kill them.

Points may also be traded, in exchange for other players moving in the requested way. I won't put restrictions on this now, but if it becomes problematic I will. These must first be agreed upon in this thread, or no transfer occurs. The point transfer only occurs if the requested action was performed (so word it like "I'll give you 1 point if your first move is '4'", if that's what you're looking for).

Moves are submitted 5 at a time, posted in a submission topic (so it's easier for me to organize). Each move is a single character - one of (qw123456789). Time limit on moves will be 48 hours from when I post an update, after which I will post and announce that moves are being calculated (and cut off move submissions). However, if you would like, you may send me any number of moves, and they will count for multiple rounds (provided that that number is divisible by 5). Only the latest submitted moves count. Moves submitted in this thread do not count.

In addition, you may submit moves for other delvers. If they have not submitted moves by the deadline, I will chose a set of moves submitted for that person at random out of the provided ones (most recent per player). You may only submit 5 moves at a time for any other player. That submission must be in the form "Someone Else: qq46w". If there are no submitted moves for a player, they wait. A player does not receive points for actions submitted on their behalf, and the submitter loses points if that delver kills anyone or is killed.

I currently plan to have 3 rooms, but we'll see how quickly it goes and if that is reasonable at all. If a delver dies in one room, they will still be there for the other rooms.

Turn order is assigned randomly at the start of each room, and enemies will target the nearest delver, breaking ties first by euclidean distance, then by move order (targetting the lowest). This is the same as they do if there are two equidistant Stalwarts. If I got that wrong, someone let me know so that I can ensure I'm doing it properly. Moving diagonally into something will cause sliding (as mimics do).

This is an official contest, which means that the standard prizes apply.

Who's in? Signups are open for a week - I'll post the room at some point during that time.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-13-2018 02:40 AM]
01-12-2018 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Cooperate to the Death! (0)  
Sounds exciting, and probably the more people the better (so things get fuzzier and less game-theoretically-precise). I'm in!

01-12-2018 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 151
I'll join, I'd always thought smite to the death was a cool concept so I'm glad to see a variation on that concept.

01-12-2018 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I will join. There's only so many ways I can muck things up for the rest of us. :)

01-12-2018 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Okay, I'll give this a go!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-12-2018 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Count me in too. Sounds like fun.

01-12-2018 at 01:37 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I'm not entirely sure what to expect of this, but I'll participate in the chaos.

01-12-2018 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Actually I am in :)

01-12-2018 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Sounds fun; I'm in. Especially if the rooms have pushing weapons!

01-12-2018 at 04:58 PM
Crimson Moon
Rank Points: 108
This will be different, count me in.
01-17-2018 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

File: Room1.png (1 MB)
Downloaded 790 times.
icon Re: Cooperate to the Death! (+2)  
Okay, the first room is up, attached to the first post! Should be easy, especially for you experienced smitemasters, but it will be interesting to see who goes for the roaches in the boxes. There are a total of 60 monsters. The orbs in the boxes are worth 3 points each, and open the doors at the exit. Remember, the points for being able to leave the room are given on the turn the last monster dies.

The briar takes 25 turns to reach the pressure plate, which opens all the yellow doors in the room other than the ones blocking the exit. There are still two days before signups are closed, and we currently have 9 smitemasters participating (I can add in more if anyone joins). You can also trade starting positions, if you'd like. I'm going to open the submission topic for moves presently.

The smitemasters, in order from left to right, are:
Insoluble       Beethro
Crimson Moon    Clone
skell           Decoy
superluminal    Guard
mauvebutterfly  Gunthro
PigmyWubba      Mimic
Dischorran      Slayer
navithmastero   Soldier
Chaco           Stalwart

Movement order (in case you don't want to download the room to check) is north to south and west to east - a roach in either of the boxes moves before any roach in the maze. The goblins move after all of the roaches.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-17-2018 03:31 AM]
01-17-2018 at 03:24 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
So I'd really rather be a spectator of this sport, but I do want to bring up that there's a rather important bit of missing information about the room.

What do the orbs do? Probably open the southern doors, but be specific, which one opens which?

01-17-2018 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
I don't remember, but it doesn't matter which opens which. :P Plus, the hold is posted in the first post.
01-17-2018 at 04:59 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
A couple points for clarification:

Is the smitemaster move order as listed?

I presume the "slayer" doesn't have body kill.

Cool!

01-17-2018 at 03:13 PM
KituU
Rank Points: 218
Someone Else wrote:
each participant controls one character, Smite to the Death style.

Moves are submitted 5 at a time, posted in a submission topic

Hi, don't understand what "Smite to the Death style" means.
How do players know how other players will move ? Is it coordinated beforehand?
01-17-2018 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Dischorran: Smitemaster move order is as listed, and from left to right. And no, you can't kill with your body.

KituU: Smite to the Death was a contest we had years ago. Essentially, everything is as I've described, that was just so that people who knew what Smite to the Death was would remember.
You don't know how other players will move! That's part of the fun. You can coordinate (and I would encourage at least some), but I would expect some backstabbing, so don't rely too heavily on that. Want to join?
01-17-2018 at 11:32 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Hey, I'll join. Smith to the Death was.. 2005.. and I got eliminated in the very first round of 5 moves :(

[Last edited by TripleM at 01-18-2018 05:36 AM]
01-18-2018 at 05:32 AM
Someone Else

Downloaded 614 times.
That's it for contestants! TripleM joins us in a position chosen by random.org... #1! He will be Kolby (because Temporal Projection looks identical to Clone and I like plugging my own hold there are no other sworded characters available. TripleM, if you'd rather have higher-quality graphics, I can make you the goblin king, I suppose), one space to the west of Insoluble. This means that everyone is in the same position as before, aside from Insoluble having someone to both sides instead of just one.

The hold and a new picture will be posted as soon as I've dug up Kolby's sprites.

The time remaining for moves is negative 325 weeks, 6 days

EDIT: I can't seem to find them. TripleM, you're the goblin king for now.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-19-2018 05:29 AM]
01-19-2018 at 04:10 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
If the contest is going to have situations in which a player may be rendered swordless, perhaps Caravel could provide the sprites for Beethro in the slayer uniform from Suit Pursuit. Additionally, ever notice that Ardus Frostbard's sprites are the unsworded tiles for Gulric Dawnmace? And if swordlessness won't be a factor, there's also Aurora Bladeseeker and the Tuenan Captain.

01-19-2018 at 06:41 PM
Someone Else

File: Room1.png (846.5 KB)
Downloaded 513 times.
Alright, round 1 completes!

superluminal goes for the throat right off the bat, taking down skell. While mauvebutterfly did not sumbit moves, PigmyWubba and skell decided that waiting was the best option.

Score:
Insoluble       1
Crimson Moon    0
skell           0
superluminal    -5
mauvebutterfly  0
PigmyWubba      0
Dischorran      0
navithmastero   0
Chaco           1
TripleM         0

I admit that I'm kind of surprised that nobody coordinated (that I could tell).

The time remaining for moves for round 2 is negative 325 weeks, 4 days

EDIT: Fixed an error.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-21-2018 06:03 AM]
01-21-2018 at 04:02 AM
Someone Else
Oh: for clarity, moves for other players only count if they're submitted during that round - I'm not going to go through and dig up what dischorran submitted for Insoluble on round 1 when determining moves for round 5.
01-21-2018 at 04:09 AM
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Oops! Sorry, skell. I thought for sure you would take a step forward and give me room to turn. I didn't mean to kill you! :blush

01-21-2018 at 05:32 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: Derp.jpg (6.2 KB)
Downloaded 559 times.

01-21-2018 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

Downloaded 453 times.
Another round, another death!

This time, though, it's his own fault. Chaco walks straight into the jaws of a roach!

Score:
Insoluble       1
Crimson Moon    0
skell           0
superluminal    -4
mauvebutterfly  1
PigmyWubba      0
Dischorran      2
navithmastero   0
Chaco           1
TripleM         2

The time remaining for moves for round 3 is negative 325 weeks, 2 days
01-22-2018 at 03:33 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Hmm. I'm not sure how I died there; I thought I got my parity correct to do a backswipe. Did I just bump into a wall or something?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing everybody deal with all the yellow doors at bottom opening up.

01-22-2018 at 04:58 PM
Someone Else
You moved South instead of North: 65396. I suppose you could make the case that your numpad is inverted, but I was fairly sure that was just an error on your part and treated it as such.
01-22-2018 at 09:42 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
TrippleM, as discussed in PM my next set of 5 moves will be (Q,Q,Q,Q,4). If I do not adhere to this and you do adhere do move (Q,Q,6,5,5) as agreed then I will owe you 10 rank points and vice versa. Also public shame which is probably worse than 10 fake internet points.

Also, a general note. Since this whole setup is basically an iterated prisoners dilemma*, I'm going to go for a tit-for-tat strategy (which most successful strategies are based on). So I'm basically going to keep my word unless I'm working with someone who has proven themselves untrustworthy in the past, in which case all bets are off.

*Slightly different since there are fewer iterations than normally would occur, I think this is balanced by the fact that we will all have knowledge of conflicts that we don't personally take part in, but that's just a gut feeling and not based on research.

01-24-2018 at 11:52 AM
Someone Else

Downloaded 357 times.
Round 3 is over!

This went a little more like I expected. :)

Score:
Insoluble       1
Crimson Moon    4
skell           0
superluminal    -3
mauvebutterfly  1
PigmyWubba      1
Dischorran      2
navithmastero   0
Chaco           1
TripleM         2

The time remaining for moves for round 4 is negative 325 weeks
01-24-2018 at 03:41 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I'm offering Insoluble 1 point to play 46 as his next two moves (and not re-enter the tunnel afterwards).
01-25-2018 at 07:27 PM
Someone Else

File: Room1.png (830.9 KB)
Downloaded 278 times.
Here are the results for round 4!

TripleM gives Insoluble 1 point.

Score:
Insoluble       3
Crimson Moon    5
skell           0
superluminal    -2
mauvebutterfly  1
PigmyWubba      3
Dischorran      3
navithmastero   1
Chaco           1
TripleM         4

The time remaining for moves for round 5 is negative 324 weeks, 5 days

Oh, and as always, the hold is updated in the first post. Just 5 moves until the walls come down!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-27-2018 12:07 AM]
01-27-2018 at 12:06 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cooperate to the Death! (A semi-cooperative contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com