Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Amazing maze (Our Contest for July)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Amazing maze (+3)  
There is one little thing that not often done in DROD that is a maze thing. You could argue that its an amazing maze made by a maze of maize thing, but I don’t see where you’d get the corn from. Ok, I’ll stop the word play. For those of you who didn’t get what I’m talking about, this is a contest about mazes, to hit you over the head with the obvious hammer.

Rules
For this contest, you will be creating a maze according to the definitions at answers.com. Mostly 1a and 2, which are:

An intricate, usually confusing network of interconnecting pathways, as in a garden; a labyrinth.

A graphic puzzle, the solution of which is an uninterrupted path through an intricate pattern of line segments from a starting point to a goal.

You may have scripting, you may have monsters, but remember, the focus is not fighting. Equally, just making a confusing, arbitrary mess using scripting won’t win you many points.

For this contest, I think I’ll use the DROD RPG due to its better scripting capabilities.

All contestants are to announce whether or not they want theirs to be in a compilation or not.

Timing
Because I’ve been perpetually lazy this month, you will have less than 2 weeks to make your maze. Which means you have to submit your entry on the Local Time:07-30-2009 at 01:00 PM, which is in negative 768 weeks, 1 day.

voting
People will decide on how well it feels like a maze, as opposed to a normal RPG level. Ideally they should all feel like a maze, thus people will then vote on how enjoyable it is, without becoming frustrating or confusing.

Prize pile
100 rank points (not to be confused with mod points) and a pick from the prize pile for winning
50 rank points for coming second
25 for coming third.submit your entry

[Last edited by NiroZ at 07-17-2009 03:39 AM]
07-17-2009 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Amazing maze (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
For this contest, I think I’ll use the DROD RPG
Someone hasn't played Figure or Ground.

07-17-2009 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
No I haven't. I'm currently on holidays and haven't got access to either the RPG or normal DROD. Why?
07-17-2009 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Because it's an amazing maze in the JtRH engine.

07-17-2009 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Amazing maze (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
There is one little thing that not often done in DROD that is a maze thing. You could argue that its an amazing maze made by a maze of maize thing, but I don’t see where you’d get the corn from. Ok, I’ll stop the word play. For those of you who didn’t get what I’m talking about, this is a contest about mazes, to hit you over the head with the obvious hammer.

Rules
For this contest, you will be creating a maze according to the definitions at answers.com. Mostly 1a and 2, which are:

An intricate, usually confusing network of interconnecting pathways, as in a garden; a labyrinth.

A graphic puzzle, the solution of which is an uninterrupted path through an intricate pattern of line segments from a starting point to a goal.

You may have scripting, you may have monsters, but remember, the focus is not fighting. Equally, just making a confusing, arbitrary mess using scripting won’t win you many points.

For this contest, I think I’ll use the DROD RPG due to its better scripting capabilities.

All contestants are to announce whether or not they want theirs to be in a compilation or not.

Timing
Because I’ve been perpetually lazy this month, you will have less than 2 weeks to make your maze. Which means you have to submit your entry on the Local Time:07-30-2009 at 01:00 PM, which is in negative 768 weeks, 1 day.

voting
People will decide on how well it feels like a maze, as opposed to a normal RPG level. Ideally they should all feel like a maze, thus people will then vote on how enjoyable it is, without becoming frustrating or confusing.

Prize pile
100 rank points (not to be confused with mod points) and a pick from the prize pile for winning
50 rank points for coming second
25 for coming third.submit your entry

I think i'll try to do something if we can also use other engines as TCB or JTRH. It's a bit boring use RPG for a maze, its rooms are too small and even if you don't make it huge or filled up with many monsters and doors it is not hard to done.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 07-17-2009 06:36 AM]
07-17-2009 at 06:00 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Hmmm, no rule about having to submit an entirely new hold.
Think I'll just re-submit "Figure or Ground" for this competition.

07-17-2009 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
NiroZ wrote:
Rules
For this contest, you will be creating a maze...
Therefore, you can't resubmit Figure and Ground, because the contest doesn't say "you will have already created a maze".

(Also you'd have to rewrite it in RPG. And also I'd resubmit the Labyrinth of Mellenfral that I did ages ago.)

I suppose it's now time to go learn the RPG scripting....
07-17-2009 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Yeah, I was just kidding. Would I really do that?

07-17-2009 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I have so many ideas... and a lack of originality with which to make them.

Does the maze have to be original? :P

07-18-2009 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
We'll ostracize you mercilessly if it isn't.

07-18-2009 at 01:13 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
NiroZ wrote:

Rules

Are you limiting what a maze is to this definition or can I submit an implementation of a puzzle maze, like a rolling block maze or a no left turn maze?
07-18-2009 at 03:02 AM
NiroZ
The problem is that there's a gray line between when there's a puzzle and when it becomes a maze. Could you explain what a 'rolling block maze or a no left turn maze' are?
07-18-2009 at 06:58 AM
Sillyman
icon Re: Amazing maze (+1)  
Rolling block maze: Imagine several dice taped or glued together. Then roll these through a maze, not permitting any move that leaves any die in contact with an obstacle.

No-left-turn maze: You can't turn left or turn around. Simple as that.

Basically, a puzzle-maze is a maze in which there is more information that is crucial to the solution than your position, because of some rule. For example, your orientation could be important, or how far you can move in a single step at the moment, or whatever.

07-18-2009 at 06:51 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
RuAdam's Under the Mountains has a number of these alternative maze ideas (and more) well implemented in TCB form, for those interested in how these might work. Due largely to that hold, I plan to give low votes to anyone who makes mazes dependent on several "I"-shaped platforms. :fear

In other news, this may be my first appropriate use of that smiley.

07-19-2009 at 04:04 AM
NiroZ
Sillyman wrote:
Rolling block maze: Imagine several dice taped or glued together. Then roll these through a maze, not permitting any move that leaves any die in contact with an obstacle.

No-left-turn maze: You can't turn left or turn around. Simple as that.

Basically, a puzzle-maze is a maze in which there is more information that is crucial to the solution than your position, because of some rule. For example, your orientation could be important, or how far you can move in a single step at the moment, or whatever.
I don't see why anybody would object to them in a maze.
07-19-2009 at 04:56 AM
neveragain
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
Interesting contest. I can think of some interesting contest ideas.

Mazes using keys, warp tokens, grappling hooks, flippers...

There are some good possibilities for mazes here.
07-19-2009 at 05:57 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Oh, no trying with Tcb-Jtrh then? I'll probably leave then. But don't worry about me, it's only that i'm a bit sucky with RPG atm.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-20-2009 at 05:37 AM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
How much levels do you need becouse im going to make lots
07-21-2009 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
keep it relatively short, and value quality over quantity. Don't make me regret not having many restrictions.
07-21-2009 at 07:58 AM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
Wear do i post the hold im done
07-21-2009 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
07-21-2009 at 09:43 AM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Just one room, or can it span multiple rooms?
07-22-2009 at 07:13 AM
NiroZ
No limit. Just don't make me regret it by having 1000 rooms or something crazy.
07-22-2009 at 12:18 PM
Sillyman
Will you accept entries that don't actually exist until someone plays them?

07-23-2009 at 08:21 PM
Jatopian
No, because it's good practice to play through your hold before submitting to make sure it's completable.

07-23-2009 at 08:30 PM
Sillyman
I count as someone though. :P

And if I verify that the thing that makes the maze exist works right, I know it's solvable.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 07-23-2009 09:14 PM]
07-23-2009 at 09:13 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Sillyman wrote:
Will you accept entries that don't actually exist until someone plays them?
I don't even know what that means.
07-24-2009 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what your asking either sillyman.
07-24-2009 at 04:17 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
My guess is one of these three:
1. Randomly generated dungeon
2. Invisible wubba dungeon
3. Visible but big wubba dungeon which changes dynamically.

07-24-2009 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
What about a quantum maze? I don't see how it would work, but then it actually wouldn't exist until observed.
07-24-2009 at 07:54 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Amazing maze (Our Contest for July)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com