Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (2008 Entries)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (+2)  
Post your "Bluff Me Again" entries in this thread. Unlike a regular submission thread, everyone will be able to see all the entries. If you want to discuss, question or challenge a statement, this is the place.

If you have questions about the contest or need to check the rules, go to the contest announcement thread.

I will update the list of entries regularly. Please PM me if I miss yours.

List of Eligible Entries:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by noma at 04-14-2008 04:42 AM]
04-01-2008 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (+1)  
I am allergic to only one thing - catfish.(42)
When I was thirteen, I went to Florida for a stereotypical Disneyland holiday. At one of the restaurants, we were served a delicious seafood platter. But it brought me out in a vicious itchy rash, quite a gross one. We didn't make the connection until the exact same thing happened when I ate just fried catfish. Same thing happened a few years ago when I got served it at a party. Never had an allergic reaction to any other foodstuff.

I have punched someone in anger, sending them through a glass window.(70)
My brother and I never got on as we grew up. Usually we argued and shouted at each other, but on rare occasions it would get to violence. At the time (15 years old), I was bigger than him, he had been irritating me all day, and so I punched him right in the jaw. He fell backwards through the huge window in the patio doors, shattering it. He had quite a few nasty-looking cuts on his neck, but they weren't deep or severe.

The catfish one is the true one. Never had an allergic reaction to anything else other than catfish, and I know it wasn't a fluke because the other two times I've eaten it, I had the same symptoms.

The second one is false, I have struck people in anger before, and yes I've hit my brother, but he didn't go through a window, he hit an internal door with a glass pane in, which fell out.

04-01-2008 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (0)  

04-02-2008 at 07:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Jatopian wrote:
You missed a point in the rules.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-02-2008 11:09 AM]
04-02-2008 at 11:09 AM
noma
Jatopian wrote:
Also, not a submission thread.
noma wrote:
Unlike a regular submission thread, everyone will be able to see all the entries. If you want to discuss, question or challenge a statement, this is the place.
Everyone is supposed to see all the entries: otherwise you couldn't challenge them.
04-02-2008 at 12:32 PM
calamarain
Actually, it was an honest confusion. Disneyland Paris, Disneyworld Florida. Evidently I misremembered the name.

04-02-2008 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I have ran out of air while diving.(35)
I just finished my diving course, and I went on two dives run by the resort over spring break. On the second dive, about halfway through, I was running suspiciously low on air. I tried to conserve the air, but I ran out and was forced to surface early with one of the guides. I wasn't hurt, just a little jittered.

I have been in Italy for less than 2 hours.(42)
While on vacation in southern France, my family came up with the idea of a day trip into Italy. So we got up and piled into our rented care and drove across the border, and into a nearby town. We had a quick lunch, but because there was so much traffic, my parents decided that it wasn't worth staying the rest of the day and we promptly left the country. I have not been there before or since.

The first statement is true. While the story behind my second story is true, the time is not - the traffic was so bad that it took us almost an hour to meet up with our friends (who were also vacationing there) and get to a restaurant for lunch. It took more than an hour, and then we still had to drive back to the border. Way more than 2 hours. As for the diving, while it is true that I've run out of air, I did that in the pool course. The instructor closed the valve on my tank so that I knew what it would be like to breathe in when there's no air (it's freaky). I never completed the course because I caught a cold and couldn't do half of it.
04-02-2008 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I was once part of an official Canadian luge team. (50)
A number of years ago, I went into a "Discover Luge" program. It was for anyone who wanted to find out about luge. I found that I really enjoyed it, and so I continued on with luge. I was in a number of races, in which I did very well. After a few years, I gave up because I had to train too much. At that time, I was on the Junior Canadian National team.
I killed, skinned, gutted, cooked, and ate a squirrel. (54)
I went into the woods with my dad, my dad's friend, and his son with a couple of guns. After a bit of skeet shooting, I took a 12 gauge shotgun (it might have been a 14 gauge) and found a squirrel up in a tree. I took a shot at it, and killed it. Surprisingly, not too many pellets hit it, so it wasn't mangled. I took my pocket knife and skinned it (which was the first time I had skinned an animal, so it was fairly hard). Then, I gutted it (which wasn't as hard), put it on a portable barbeque, and cooked it. It was tough, but it tasted good.

The first one is true.
I wasn't actually in it for a few years, and it wasn't national, but I did do luge and it is lots of fun.

About the second, it's all true except the assertion that I killed the squirrel. It was my dad's friend's son.
04-02-2008 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
deftriver wrote:
My Great-Grandmother was a Titanic survivor.
What was her name?
04-03-2008 at 04:18 AM
noma
Questions

@ calamarain:
Have you had allergy tests? If so, what did the doctor say? If not, why not? Fish allergies can change and get worse suddenly. (Think anaphlaxia.)

@ coppro:
Were you doing official "open water" dives or just a resort course?

@ Someone Else:
What kind of luge team were you on? Aside from actually "luging" how does one train for luge?

04-03-2008 at 06:00 AM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
All my mathematical articles are based on computer calculations.(64)
The first article calculates the minimal density of letter a in the infinite square-free word over alphabet {a, b, c} which happens to be 883/3215. The second one describes how I found some 3-resilient boolean function on 9 variables with non-linearity 240. So, maybe I don't deserve to call myself a mathematician :( and shouldn't spend almost all free time behind a computer.
I met a Russian president and I have a photo with him.(55)
I am a clever man. Every president would like to met me, isn't it? On a serious note, that case was a meeting of all participants of school international olympiads. So, as winner of both informatical and mathematical international olympiads I was there too. I am not proud of this meeting now though - I don't respect peoples who fake elections. So the large (somewhere between A3 and A2) photo with (soon to be ex-)president is covering with dust now.
The first sentence if false - I have a mathematical article dealing with graphs. I proved an asymptotical estimation for number of its verticies.

The second sentence is true, but I never participated in informatical international olympiad :? . Also, I wasn't the only winner of mathematical international olympiad. The problems were not hard enough - I and someone from Chinese took the largest possible score.
04-03-2008 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
noma wrote:
@ coppro:
Were you doing official "open water" dives or just a resort course?
It was the resort course, as I was travelling with friends who hadn't taken the course at home, and we wanted to dive together.
04-03-2008 at 03:20 PM
calamarain
noma: No, I've never had an allergy test. I have eaten lots of different kinds of fish without a reaction, it was just catfish that provoked a response.

04-03-2008 at 03:30 PM
calamarain
deftriver wrote:
What was her name?

Mary Kelly
A quick search of wikipedia's list of Titanic Passengers reveals only one person with the surname of Kelly, and that's "Kelly, Miss Florence "Fannie"". So this part isn't true... however, the supporting statements are allowed to be lies, his great-grandmother might still have been on there, she just wasn't named Mary Kelly.

04-03-2008 at 03:41 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
noma wrote:
@ Someone Else:
What kind of luge team were you on? Aside from actually "luging" how does one train for luge?

I don't understand what you mean by what type of luge team. For one thing, it's called "sliding" so that it doesn't sound like "losing". Mostly, that is what we did. Other than that, we did some strength training, and there were talks about proper positioning.
04-03-2008 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
deftriver wrote:
calamarain wrote:
A quick search of wikipedia's list of Titanic Passengers reveals only one person with the surname of Kelly, and that's "Kelly, Miss Florence "Fannie""
You believe everything you read (or don't read) on Wikipedia. Man in that case I've been to the moon!
Wikipedia tends to be reasonable... but in this case it might be wrong. A subsequent googling of various sites found a Mary Kelly as a third class passenger. Interesting... your vigorous defense of this indicates its something you feel strongly about... something you're proud of. You've changed my mind, I think you're telling the truth about your great grandmother. Either that, or you're rather good at bluffing :)

[Last edited by calamarain at 04-03-2008 05:25 PM]
04-03-2008 at 05:22 PM
noma
Someone Else wrote:
noma wrote:
@ Someone Else:
I don't understand what you mean by what type of luge team. For one thing, it's called "sliding" so that it doesn't sound like "losing".
Well, there's two-man luge and single luge. (For instance: the Canadian Luge Association's Junior Olympic team consists of men's, women's, double's and Junior Select's sliders.) Which you would know if you were on an official team -- though I suspect you do and are just trying to throw us off. What makes me suspect that is the case is your sensitivity at my use of the verb "luging." Of course that could be a well-played bluff too. Hmm, are you really a squirrel hunter after all?

[Last edited by noma at 04-03-2008 07:23 PM]
04-03-2008 at 07:13 PM
noma
halyavin:
All my mathematical articles are based on computer calculations,
Does that mean you have published articles? If so, in what publications were they published?

04-03-2008 at 07:19 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
noma wrote:
halyavin:
Does that mean you have published articles? If so, in what publications were they published?
I'm guessing this one is real

04-03-2008 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
halyavin:
noma wrote:
Schik wrote:
I'm guessing this one is real
I guess the only loophole would be the "all" qualification of his statement.
04-03-2008 at 07:42 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I’ve made a half back flip with snowboard.(42)
One of my friends is really good at snowboarding, he has done a 360 grab, and lots of other cool impossible tricks. But I’ve done something that beats all his fancy tricks, I’ve done a half back flip! (Ok, I broke my collar bone, and I couldn’t go snowboard any more that season, but it was worth it.)

I was once run over by a car.(29)
In the winter, the smaller roads here in Sweden often get pretty… really icy. I often bike the 6 kilometres to my school, I can take the buss but I like taking the bike, because the buss is expensive, it’s good to get some extra training, and I like the fresh air.
Anyway, last year I was biking down an icy slope when the bike suddenly skidded to the middle of the road. And without knowing how it happen I suddenly realised I was laying under a car. Luckily the driver managed to break pretty quickly, and I didn’t hurt myself (except in the elbow when I fell).

I’m afraid it’s the first one, I have done a half back flip with snowboard. Though I like to add that it was a couple of years ago, and I didn’t try to do a back flip. Well, lets just say I misjudged the jump.

04-03-2008 at 08:16 PM
marphlets
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
I'm related to the French King Charlamagne. (43)

Through my maternal great-grandmother. She was a Chastain - a family of Charlamagne's decendants who immagrated to Louisianna in the early 1800's.

My cousin died at the Battle of the Alamo. (42)

Jacob Walker was one of the two volunteers from Tennessee who died with the heroes who fought at the Alamo. You can see a few of his personal effects on display at the Alamo museum in San Antonio, TX.

The first one is true. Nanny Chastain was a descendant of Charlamagne. When you look at a portrait of the French hero next to my Uncle Jimmy's portrait, the resemblance is uncanny. C

04-04-2008 at 02:13 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I do not know how to ride a bike. (33)

During my childhood, I attempted to learn how to ride a bike, just like most children. Along came the inevitable scrapes and bruises which accompanied this training program. Unfortunately I never seemed to understand how to balance the thing properly, and have retried over the past few years without success. To this day the only wheeled thing I can pilot successfully is my Razor scooter.

I have camped in mountains with my father. (42)

My father and I were in the Adirondack mountains three years ago, during a middle week of July. We stayed for a week, during which it rained, poured, and rained some more. We subsisted mostly on canned food which I was clever enough to insist we bring. The entire trip was a miserable failure. We passed the time mostly by reading books which Dad was clever enough to insist we bring.

= = = = = =

I do not, in fact, know how to ride a bike. All the supporting statements in my entry were true. This statement was true.

I have never gone camping anywhere with anyone. I was part of the Boy Scouts for about three days when I was five, when I attended a Cub Scout meeting in an office building with my mother. After sitting through about half of the event I blithely stated in my obvious little five-year-old voice "I'M BORED." We then left. I haven't had any experiences with outdoors since then, so I would not make a good woodsman. This statement was false.

04-04-2008 at 02:42 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
A border guard saw through me at the crossing.(47)
I was crossing the U.S./Canadian border and the guard knew that there was something different about me.

When I was seventeen I had a wild party in my house.(52)
It happened when my parents were away on a weekend vacation. The people that came didn't break anything that was valuable, but there is this ugly vomit stain on the front walk. My parents don't know what it is.

The border guard. He realized that it was my first time crossing.

I wish that man would stay away
04-04-2008 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
noma wrote:
The statement doesn't imply that mathematical articles must be published.

04-04-2008 at 08:04 AM
calamarain
I own the complete Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.(46)
For my 25th birthday, I wanted something that would last. I'd been a Trekkie when I was younger, as my sister and brother were also. And so, with some financial contribution from me, my parents bought me all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine on DVD.

I am a skilled knife thrower.(29)
I've not been formally taught how to do it, but I learned on my own as a kid, with some pointers from my grandfather. Kept the skill and practice it occasionally. I can throw a knife so that it embeds reasonably deeply into a 1 ft target from across a room (12-16ft). Generally, this scares the hell out of people when I demonstrate it.

The DS9 one is true. I have no clue how to throw a knife :)

04-04-2008 at 05:00 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I have jumped through a display window and I got handsomely paid for it. (72)
I was (obviously) severely drunk at the time, and a friend of mine betted me that I wouldn’t do it. Full of male hormones (I was a troubled teenager) and alcohol I accepted the challenge. I jumped through the window, cut my wrist pretty badly (the glass slashed through my wrist tendon). For my inconvenience I got paid about 60 000$ from our insurance company. In Sweden (at least) we have this insurance form where it doesn’t matter how clumsy or stupid you are. You get paid when things go bad.

I’m insanely good at labyrinth (ball) games. (44)
I’m aware that insanely good is a matter of opinion, but I really am. I have beaten this 60 hole labyrinth with three balls at the same time, and I have beaten it with two balls, where I placed one at the start position, and one at the finish position, and let them meet about halfway through the labyrinth.

Statement 1 is completely untrue. I don’t even drink. It happened to one of my class mates though. The bet was for two dollars, and he cut off his wrist tendon, and got paid for it.

Statement 2 is then of course true, including the supporting sentences. I have also beaten the labyrinth in less than twenty seconds, with only one hand, and to try to complete it as many times in a row as possible just becomes boring.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-04-2008 05:13 PM]
04-04-2008 at 05:08 PM
marphlets
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
calamarain wrote:
I am a skilled knife thrower.

What is the correct way to throw a knife to get said results?

04-05-2008 at 12:34 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
marphlets wrote:
calamarain wrote:
I am a skilled knife thrower.

Forward. With the hands.

04-05-2008 at 01:04 AM
calamarain
marphlets wrote:
Depends on the knife. Some are meant to spin as they go through the air, those are the more balanced ones. Others don't spin, they're thrown more like darts or javelins. I don't use spinny ones. The way you throw them is kinda hard to describe in words. Your wrist/arm is parallel to the ground, making a sweeping movement. You angle it slightly upwards to compensate for gravity, and then flick it in as straight a line as you can. The power comes from the arm movement, fine aim comes from the wriest. It takes a *lot* of practice.

04-05-2008 at 01:23 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (2008 Entries)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com