Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (2008 Entries)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (0)  
deftriver wrote:
Chaco wrote:
noma wrote:
@Chaco: Did you ever try training wheels?

Of course I did, and was able to ride the bike successfully... only when the training wheels were on. As usual, when the wheels came off I never made it past the driveway. The problem with training wheels (that I can see now) is that they essentially reduce the problem of riding the bike to the problem of riding the tricycle (to which the rider already has the solution), so the person doesn't actually learn anything.

Either you've never tried training wheels or you're bluffing with the justification. Training wheels are inheriently different from a tricycle. Both should never touch the ground at the same time, and as you train they are made to be adjusted so they touch less and less until you no longer need them.

Both did touch the ground at the same time. Maybe that was the problem. This happened when I was much younger (around six or seven) and I haven't retried in a long time, so I probably didn't notice my parents adjusting the wheels or anything like that.

04-07-2008 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I hit a person while being pulled over by a cop. (49)
After work on a Friday night, I was pulled over for expired license plates. While I was pulling over, a woman came into my field of vision. I tried to turn sharp to avoid hitting her, but it was not enough. I knocked her down with the corner of my car.

I survived a roll-over crash. (29)
When I was in college, I drove a '62 Falcon that I was restoring. I was taking a shortcut on a rural road when I hit a loose patch of gravel which sent me rolling into the ditch. Both myself and the car got banged up a little, but nothing serious fortunately.

The pull over incident happened to me. I had to pay a fine and my license was suspended for a year. The roll over happened to my brother, and he did roll over in his '62 Falcon.
04-08-2008 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
brian_s wrote:
After work on a Friday night, I was pulled over for expired license plates. While I was pulling over, a woman came into my field of vision. I tried to turn sharp to avoid hitting her, but it was not enough. I knocked her down with the corner of my car.
What injuries did she sustain? Did the cop get you in trouble for this?
04-08-2008 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
brian_s wrote:
When I was in college, I drove a '62 Falcon that I was restoring. I was taking a shortcut on a rural road when I hit a loose patch of gravel which sent me rolling into the ditch. Both myself and the car got banged up a little, but nothing serious fortunately.

How far over did the car roll? What color was the car? How did you get it out?

04-08-2008 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
I have never eaten a peanut butter sandwich. (38)
I've always thought peanut butter looks rather disgusting (all lumpy, eww!). Although most of my family likes the stuff I've never even tried it.

My lucky number is 1048580. (27)
Once, as a Christmas Puzzle at the end of school term, we were given a complex maths puzzle, the answer of which was 1048580. I was the only person who solved it and the answer became my lucky number. I've forgotten the puzzle now.

The first statement is true, as is its argument. The second statement is false: in fact, the real answer to the puzzle was 1048576 and it is 1048576 that is my lucky number.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 04-08-2008 06:33 PM]
04-08-2008 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
brian_s wrote:
A friend of mine actually did this.

[Last edited by Pneh at 04-08-2008 05:47 PM]
04-08-2008 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
hartleyhair wrote:
My lucky number is 1048580. (27)
Once, as a Christmas Puzzle at the end of school term, we were given a complex maths puzzle, the answer of which was 1048580. I was the only person who solved it and the answer became my lucky number. I've forgotten the puzzle now.
In which grade was this?

04-08-2008 at 05:49 PM
hartleyhair
Year 5 in England, not sure what the American equivalent would be.

EDIT: Looking back, the question probably wasn't really that hard but it certainly vexed us all back then.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 04-08-2008 06:32 PM]
04-08-2008 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
techant wrote:
brian_s wrote:

How far over did the car roll? What color was the car? How did you get it out?

The car made one complete roll. It had faded green paint, which I was going to repaint metallic green when I finished working on it. My dad has a tractor and a flatbed trailer with ramps, so getting it out was pretty easy.
04-09-2008 at 01:49 AM
brian_s
NiroZ wrote:
brian_s wrote:
What injuries did she sustain? Did the cop get you in trouble for this?

The woman was seriously bruised, but nothing broken fortunately. I had to pay for the ambulance trip she took, but no charges were filed for hitting her.
04-09-2008 at 01:53 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (+1)  
I have met Queen Elizabeth II.(30)
A few years ago, my grandmother (who is a member of the St John's Ambulance) was invited to a celebration at Buckingham Palace, along with a hundred other senior members of the SJA. The invitation also included either the member's spouse or carer. As my mother (the usual choice) was unable to attend, I took her to the celebration. And met the queen for about 5 seconds during the 'receiving line', my entire communication with her being "Thankyou, your majesty", and getting a nod in return.

I once knew pi to 100 decimal places.(37)
As a schoolboy, I was precocious, and rather arrogant. I was fond of memory tricks and maths... and so learning pi seemed to be the reasonable thing to do. The discovery was prompted by the internet, back when it was new and shiny. There was a website that had pi to a million decimal places, and I memorised the first 100. Sadly, the best I can do now is (just trying now off the top of my head) 3.14159265358979.

The pi statement is true. Though the Buckingham Palace event occured, my grandmother was unable to attend due to illness.

04-09-2008 at 02:59 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
calamarain wrote:
I once knew pi to 100 decimal places.(37)
Bah. knew to 150 two years ago.
04-09-2008 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
marphlets
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
VIPCOOL wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Sadly, the best I can do now is (just trying now off the top of my head) 3.14159265358979.

Lol. I can only remember pi to 14 decimal places too.

You've got me beat. I can only remember 3.

04-10-2008 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I'm currently at
04-10-2008 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Technically, none of you can really prove that you can memorize pi to that length ;-) After all, you could just be copypasting from the first few billion digits of pi, located here.

04-10-2008 at 11:29 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (+1)  
Someone Else wrote:
I'm currently at
I happen to know that the bolded digits (at least) should be 884197169399.
04-11-2008 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
coppro wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
I'm currently at
I happen to know that the bolded digits (at least) should be 884197169399.
Oops, you're right. And, there should be a 3 at the end of what you wrote.
04-11-2008 at 03:47 PM
calamarain
hartleyhair wrote:
I've always thought peanut butter looks rather disgusting (all lumpy, eww!). Although most of my family likes the stuff I've never even tried it.
Why the heck not? It's *delicious* stuff. Yes, it doesn't look that pleasant but it tastes great!

[Last edited by calamarain at 04-11-2008 05:02 PM]
04-11-2008 at 05:01 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Are the mistakes "proving" that coppro and Someone Else really are doing this from memory? (rhetorical question)

Coming up with my bluff now...

BbJ

04-11-2008 at 05:02 PM
bflatjeff
I have broadcast "obscene" language on the radio. (49)
As a guest DJ at a local rock station, I played two songs that contained one "dirty" word each. I had failed to check them thoroughly for language issues aforehand. The FCC could have fined me if someone had complained, but that was never a likely danger.

I dressed up as Tori Amos for a costume party. Yes, I am male. (62)
I already have long, red hair, so that was easy. A bit of makeup, some thrift store shopping, some piano practice, and I was ready. A number of my friends were simultaneously impressed and repulsed.

The first is true.

04-11-2008 at 05:31 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
VIPCOOL wrote:
I accidentely swallowed a fly (23) (29)
FIXED.

Not that it matters really as you are under the 100 character limit.
04-11-2008 at 05:51 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I've been to 18 countries, lived in 4 and speak 5 languages (59)
Most people presume it's because my dad's in the army. Travelling that much must be for a reason. Well... I don't know for sure what that reason is - he retired when I was young. I'll be 30 in July and have had 29 addresses spanning 4 countries. My mother tongue is Danish and English is my fifth. In 2000 I was taken on a world tour by my girlfriend despite not having a penny to my name; hence the number of countries visited.

I bluffed a contract killer (27)
I fell out with a close friend of mine after the way I described his girlfriend. It's the kind of guy you don't want to fall out with. I maintain his girlfriend isn't very attractive. Anyways... King's Langley train station approx. midnight. The contract killer appeared and I was held up against the wall with a machete. I proceeded to explain exactly why my mate's girlfriend wasn't attractive per se, yet how great a person I'd always thought she was.

This didn't work...

So I pointed at the CCTV camera. Not the one which was there, but a pretend one which gave the real camera a side shot. The machete was then evident and 3 minutes later, the station was swamped with cops.

The first statement is not true. I have only visited 14 countries..
04-12-2008 at 12:23 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Syntax wrote:

What 4 countries did you live in and which languages?
In what country did the contract killer incounter take place?

04-12-2008 at 02:29 AM
Syntax
techant wrote:
Syntax wrote:

Denmark, Israel, England and France
Danish, Swedish, German, Spanish, French English

The attempted killing was in Hemel Hempstead (near King's Langley) in the UK. I should have specified Hemel actually, but couldn't remember the station name at the time.
04-12-2008 at 02:37 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Syntax wrote:
That's 6 languages, which would make you a polyglot. N'est-ce pas?

[Last edited by noma at 04-12-2008 03:06 AM : slashes]
04-12-2008 at 03:06 AM
hartleyhair
calamarain wrote:
hartleyhair wrote:
Why the heck not? It's *delicious* stuff. Yes, it doesn't look that pleasant but it tastes great!

Well, I've never really liked peanuts either. Maybe I'll try it one day.

04-12-2008 at 08:13 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Syntax wrote:
techant wrote:
Syntax wrote:

Denmark, Israel, England and France

Obiously you do bluff with a portion of truth (if you bluff). Check this out.

A question: do you know the languages good? I could say I know Swedesh, Danish, Norwegian, English and Spanish, but I wouldn't easily handle a day to day conversation with someone from Spain or Denmark. I can read Danish, though. Would that count as if I know Danish? (I can't speak it, but can understand it. Mostly.) So what is your definition of "speaking a language", and "been to a country"?

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-12-2008 09:15 AM]
04-12-2008 at 08:47 AM
Syntax
noma wrote:
Syntax wrote:
That's 6 languages, which would make you a polyglot. N'est-ce pas?
Good point :)
I never remember to include English when counting... I guess I'd drop Spanish as I've used that language the least efficiently over the last 10 years...

Fluency-wise:
Danish: no longer speak it, ashamedly
German: Ok
Swedish: not used it for a while
French: fluent
English: 50/50

[EDIT]

I've spoken all these languages fluently at some stage but have not used some of them for a while. I learnt English last in 1995.
By "been to a country", I mean stayed overnight at least...

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-12-2008 11:21 AM]
04-12-2008 at 11:18 AM
bflatjeff
I can relate to Coppro's experience of being in Italy for less than 2 hours. Except in my case it involved taking a wrong turn in Switzerland, going through an insanely long tunnel, and emerging to find out we were entering Italy. I seem to remember we poked around for a little while in the first village we reached, then turned around to get back on our planned route.

BbJ

04-12-2008 at 11:22 PM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
I have a collection of 70+ used AAA batteries. (46)
Because buying those cheap batteries is more money-efficient than using the expensive ones, I have a lot of those. I collect them with hope of using them for a environment-saving event. The proof:
Click here to view the secret text

I am a proficient player of international checkers. (51)
Well, almost. At one point in life I had an interest in checkers and I had attended the class of checkers for several months. I do not remember much of it now, but I can still beat a casual player anytime. As proof I have submitted my checker board. Checkers themselves are kept somewhere separately and I am too lazy to look for them in the attic.

The answers:

04-13-2008 at 10:53 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me Again Submission Thread (2008 Entries)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com