Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Custom Element Contest Compilation (Work to be done)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged

File: Custom Weapons from Contest.hold (31.6 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Custom Element Contest Compilation (+1)  
I thought I already gave permission. People are free to use the briar seeds however they want in their own holds.

People also have my permission to use the custom weapon token included in this post however they want.

This token allows switching between:
sword
rocket launcher
fire traps
net
briar seeds
girkle gun (from the take five contest; it never appeared in the custom element contest, although it could be seen as an implementation for "That Familiar Feeling")

Additionally, it includes a "blank" weapon token that can be used to store a weapon, although doing so will disarm the player.

Unfortunately, the custom weapon token is incompatible with regular weapon tokens, and will reset the player's weapon to be the sword at the start of the room.

As an additional warning, leaving the room with a non-sword weapon will cause you to be disarmed in the next room unless that room contains a script that resets the player's weapon to the sword. Note that the custom weapon tokens themselves already do this, so there is no issue as long as all rooms contain a token and exits to levels without the token have been given a re-arming script.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 05-10-2017 12:52 PM]
05-10-2017 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Custom Element Contest Compilation (0)  
Yes, permission is granted for anyone to use the Bombette, but with a strong recommendation that only the updated version (does not explode onto walls) should be used.

You've uploaded Crimson Moon's entry instead of the compilation, since he also used "Custom Element Contest" as his hold title.

05-10-2017 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
Aagh, I forgot the one I was supposed to upload was the one with the word "The" at the start! It's the correct one now, sorry. Now it should be possible to see all the stuff I talked about in that post about the update.

I'm under the impression everyone's ok about it but I just want to be doubly sure about the permission stuff.

Thank you mauvebutterfly!

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

05-10-2017 at 03:11 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Huh. Thought I had done this before, but apparently not. So yup. Giving permission to use and modify pixies both script- and graphics-wise. The same goes for everything I make and upload here, by the way, unless specified otherwise I guess.
05-10-2017 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Yes I am ok with anyone using the firetrap creators, the Net, and the Unidart, as long as Crimson Moon and iQubic feel the same way.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-10-2017 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
:yes

05-11-2017 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
People can reuse my custom elements if they want.

Rockets have been reused already so the spirit of co-operation is already alive.

05-11-2017 at 06:29 PM
mauvebutterfly

File: Uni-Dart Splitter.png (1 KB)
Downloaded 721 times.
Not my best work, but I finally got around to making an icon for the uni-dart splitter custom element.

06-06-2017 at 10:22 AM
mauvebutterfly
I did some testing on all the puzzle rooms in the hub:

12-03-2017 at 05:39 AM
Xindaris
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I have added ALL hub puzzles and reconfigured the relevant things to all hook up properly. That said, all these new puzzles and the old ones need some testing, PLEASE.

I had a dumb idea for how the hold ends: The player chooses one of the custom elements to "take along" to deal with the situation outlined in the introduction, or can choose to not take anything at all, resulting in things going exactly the same as they did at the beginning. It's going to take some more doing but I'm hopeful that the results will be entertaining when I'm all done.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-26-2018 11:02 PM]
03-26-2018 at 10:12 PM
Nuntar
It's impossible to reach Pixie Desert in the current hold, as you've left in a testing NPC that teleports the player to the other side of the blue door.

I've solved all hub rooms except 8N3E and 6N3E. All seem fine except for a lack of checkpoints.

5N3E is the only one I'm not wild about. There is a fast and easy solution (face NW for the west group and vice versa) but this isn't obvious, so players might end up taking a laborious but safe solution. One possible fix is to replace the bottom row of each 3x3 group with another row of pit.

4N3E might be a bit off-putting to some as a trial-and-error room; fortunately there isn't much available to try, and one possibility happens to work. I didn't use the (18,13) pressure plate in my solution.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 03-10-2019 09:04 PM]
03-27-2018 at 02:35 AM
Xindaris
Derp, I forgot I put that in to test whether the "end text variable" was doing what it was supposed to. I've uploaded a hotfix for "can reach the #1 entry again".

Thank you for taking a look :) I'll try and remember to add checkpoints the next time I work on this, and poke at 5N3E.

03-27-2018 at 02:49 AM
Xindaris
UPDATE?!
-Added checkpoints to "hub puzzle" rooms
-All "hub puzzle" room scrolls now have actual text (not guaranteed to be good text).

It's not what I'd like to really get done to finish this thing up, but it's a step of progress, which is better than could be said for quite a while.

03-10-2019 at 09:01 PM
Nuntar
I've solved the two hub rooms I didn't solve before: 6N3E and (with Aquator's help) 8N3E.

6N3E seems fine, no issues really.

I solved 8N3E in a strange way that may be unintended:

03-10-2019 at 10:58 PM
Xindaris
Well, the intended solution for 8N3E

but basically any solution that at least uses a conveyor one time is good enough for me.

I'm planning to probably turn the 3x3's in 6N3E into 2x2's by cutting the upper and outer roaches from them, hopefully making any unintended but tedious solutions less so?

03-11-2019 at 12:12 AM
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
I stumbled across this and wondered: well this be published someday?

I'd be happy to see this hold appear in the published list!

I also found a mistake: the hub return stairs in the Koopa Bros' level lead to the beginning of that level, not back to the hub.

10-28-2019 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Eh...it'll be a while yet. In principle I want silly, low-effort endings for every element, but in practice it takes a lot of work to code even that much.

Well, either way I've fixed that error with Koopa fortress, and added 3 new endings! Yay. The briar seeds, rocket launcher, and two-headed serpent now have endings. All the end cutscenes have error bling noises for me, though, so maybe other people can test them and let me know if they're crashing your computer or not?

Only 11 to go...

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-29-2019 02:29 AM]
10-29-2019 at 02:26 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
Cutscenes give error beeps for me too, but no crashes.
10-29-2019 at 03:18 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Duplicator.hold (4.1 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
I made some improvements to the duplicator script shortly after the contest but never posted the changes publicly (disoriented's level in Take Five used this newer version).

Probably better to leave the contest variant as is. You never know what might break (nothing should, but it's still a lot of testing work to be sure)

Changes from the original release:

11-19-2019 at 11:27 PM
disoriented
I probably also modified the Duplicator in Take Five so it would work with gel mothers.

11-19-2019 at 11:32 PM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
Thank you guys so much for revising the hold. I plan on using a handful of elements in here in my hold, as the combat gets more intense and chaotic.

11-20-2019 at 12:47 AM
Xindaris

File: CEC Cutscene Preservation.hold (139 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
icon Re: Custom Element Contest Compilation (+2)  
!!!IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

I am a piece of human garbage.

Okay, now that I have your attention, I don't actually feel quite that strongly about it, but I am extremely sorry I've neglected this thing for so, SO long, and am working to rectify it.

The simple fact is that my original plan, to have a cutscene for every ending that shows Beethro doing some funny thing with the relevant element, is just too ambitious for someone like me to pull off. I can't do it, and trying to make myself do it just results in nothing ever getting done. So I am officially scrapping that plan. I have removed the existing 4 cutscenes that I already made from the hold, and pasted them into this hold to preserve my work because I still think that what I did manage to do is worth preserving in some form. I'll probably also attach this to a post in the holds board or something later.

Instead of that, I'm doing something lightweight enough that I can realistically expect to finish it within just a day or two. In fact, I'm half-done already! Basically, I'm just making each ending consist of a room whose description is a story of what happens when Beethro takes that item/creature back with him. Then there is a room that says something like "GOOD END" or "BAD END" or whatever on the map depending on how things went, and after a brief cutscene to let the player see that, they are dumped into the hold ending proper.

ship it Ship It sHiP iT SHIP IT SHIP IT SHIP IT!!!

As I said, I'm halfway done with this endeavor after starting it only today. The first post now has a version with that first half built into it, and I hope to do the rest very soon (TM).

I am going to railroad this thing to HA and full-hold status if I have to--

So anyway, I'd appreciate it greatly if anyone could inform/remind me of any other outstanding issues that need fixing! I re-checked the "hub puzzles" and those still seem okay as far as I can tell; it had been so long that I forgot whether I ever finished building them, but hey, looks like I did!--so that's good, at least.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-26-2021 10:21 PM]
03-26-2021 at 10:17 PM
Xindaris
UPDATE:

Okay, I finished the thing I talked about in my previous post. There are a grand total of 15 endings: 5 Bad, 5 "Okay", and 5 "Good?". The latest version is also called "The Custom Element Contest Compilation" instead of just "The Custom Element Contest". This hold is now in what I would call a "finished" state.

I'm going to give this around a week for people to point out and/or fix any remaining problems. I don't really know about demos, but I'm pretty sure everything is solvable? I know that I did not accidentally put a required room in any of the numerous rooms that are now post-blue door in the hub, at least.

I don't want to update any of the elements in this hold at this point, due to risk of breaking things, but I do intend to leave it in anyone-edit state so nobody who wants to use one of the elements has to slog through the entire compilation just for that. It also means that anyone who wants to see all the dumb endings can do so without needing to "earn" it, which I'm perfectly fine with.

I strongly encourage anyone who has made an improvement on an element in this compilation, even if they weren't the one who originally made said element, to post or link to their updated versions as a reply to the holds-board posting of this hold so anyone looking for updated versions of things can more easily find them.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-28-2021 10:09 PM]
03-28-2021 at 10:06 PM
Xindaris
Alright, it's been a bit over a week, so I've HA'd the hold now. Time to wait and see if they find something broken that I didn't notice.

04-06-2021 at 04:10 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Open request for a demo for Duplicator Lab 2S1E that works in the current version of the compilation. It looks like the unintended solution mauvebutterfly and ThemsAllTook used during the original contest was effectively patched out, and it's stumping me now - I'm not sure how to solve that room anymore and we had a quick CaravelNet discussion this evening and didn't come up with anything either.

I *think* the solution could have been

So, failing that, how is it done?

05-16-2021 at 05:38 AM
Chaco

File: TCECC Duplication Lab 2S1E Victory.demo (7.9 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
Alright, some rubber-duck explanation in the chat later, along with the good old Complain-And-Solve effect, I eventually figured out the solution myself. Here's the demo I asked for - the solution does use all the elements in the room, and feels sufficiently Doom-like that I think it could have been the intended solution.

05-16-2021 at 05:49 AM
disoriented
Need any assistance with challenges, Chaco?

05-19-2021 at 01:23 AM
Chaco
Thanks for the offer; between Mauve's demo set and solving the last missing one that was added specifically for this compilation (the Pixie Desert 4N2E one), I have them all proven possible now.

05-19-2021 at 01:53 AM
Xindaris

File: fire fire fire replacement audio.ogg (36.7 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
Attached to this post is a candidate replacement audio for the entrance of "Fire Fire Fire!". This seemed like the easiest way to make it accessible for disoriented to comment.

05-20-2021 at 07:10 PM
disoriented
Xindaris has auditioned as a Beavis replacement for everyone's amusement. I'm fine with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Npf_ZeMCO4

Warning: adolescent humor

[Last edited by disoriented at 05-20-2021 07:28 PM]
05-20-2021 at 07:21 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Custom Element Contest Compilation (Work to be done)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com