Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A World in Miniature (Five by Five / Roaches and Pressure Plates)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (8 votes)
σ 1.48
Author Name:rj
Submitted By:blorx1
Hold Name:A World in Miniature
Theme:Five by Five / Roaches and Pressure Plates
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:54
Number of Monsters:352
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: A World in Miniature.hold (24.8 KB)
Downloaded 627 times.
License: Other
icon A World in Miniature  
Here's another hold.
This one has a relatively smooth difficulty curve, so the first couple of rooms are much easier than the ones on the edge of the first level. The second level is probably a bit harder than that, but should still be manageable.

I hope you enjoy it.
11-05-2013 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: A World in Miniature (+2)  
This hold is a pretty well-put-together set of two levels - the first level takes the minimalism theme to the extreme, and has a series of rooms that are just 5 squares by 5 squares large. Nevertheless, there's a big variety of puzzles, yes puzzles, that will require a bit of thinking as to how to tinker with things. Nevertheless, I'd say the first level is about average JtRH/TCB difficulty.

The second level is pretty tough, and involves some advanced roach manipulation - you'd better not only have a good grasp of roach movement and displacement, but be willing to exploit every last bit of room geometry to the hilt.

So once again, we see here that although rooms may be simple, they certainly aren't easy.

11-05-2013 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
The second level in this hold is excellent.

Didn't much care for the first one -- in a lot of rooms (like 1N1E, 1N2W, 1S1W, etc.) it's hard to think far ahead, and I found myself solving them just by trying out random stuff after getting the general idea.

But the second level is nothing like this. There's no need for trial and error*. You get all the freedom in the world to plan out which walls to break. It's kind of relaxing after the first level actually. The required rooms are good too, 1S1E and 1S3E being my personal highlights.

*with the exception of the unrequired room *shudders*
11-05-2013 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: A World in Miniature (+1)  
The first level in this hold is excellent and very much worth playing.

I'm told the rooms in the second level are solvable. Perhaps that's even true.

11-05-2013 at 10:42 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Wow. I absolutely love this hold!

I'm only through the first level, but so far this hold is a clear 9 for me.

I agree with Doom that several of the rooms in the first level require some trial and error to be solved, eg. 1S2E, 1N3W and 1N1E. These rooms feel like filler rooms, but they are the kind of filler rooms I like. Rooms with limited options, where you can't go wrong forever, that explore some fun quirks.

Other rooms in the first level I find to be completely brilliant minimalist puzzles in the veins of the puzzles from Veere's Dungeon and Simon's Dungeon that brought me into Droding. My favorites are probably 2S1W, 1S1E and 2N.

The fact that there isn't much of a story doesn't bother me, but if I could wish for anything I'd add a classic DROD-story to the hold and maybe cut a few of the filler rooms in the first level.

[Last edited by Rheb at 11-06-2013 12:37 PM]
11-06-2013 at 12:36 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
And Completed!

I ended up liking the second level way more than I thought I would at first glance. The "roach management to perfection" theme was heavy for me; I could only manage to clear one or two rooms in one play session, then I had to put the game aside. But it is incredibly rewarding once you actually solve a room.

Maybe some of the rooms took the roach manipulation a little too far; eg. 1N3E and 1S. Then again, I can't really complain, as these rooms where even sweater to complete than many of the less insanely difficult ones.

I'm all with Doom when it comes to favorites. 1S1E and 1S3E are rooms that doesn't as heavily rely on perfecting manipulation or setting up the perfect crumbly wall trap; but rather needs to be solved conceptually. The solution to 1S3E came to me when I was lying in my bed, just before I fell asleep. It took a couple days before I actually tried it out, and seeing it work was just an incredible feeling. :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 11-20-2013 06:08 PM]
11-20-2013 at 06:05 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A World in Miniature (Five by Five / Roaches and Pressure Plates) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com