Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this (+4)  
Valve have just announced Steam Greenlight. The new service will work like the Steam Workshop, but for indie games. Creators can submit their work for rating by gamers, and the best rated games will then enter Valve’s approval process for inclusion in the Steam store.

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

07-09-2012 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this (+1)  
Man, I came straight here to post this when I found out about it. Scooped me!

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-09-2012 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this (0)  
Welcome back, Neil? *fingercross*

Maybe we can use FDROD to promote us on Greenlight at some point. It could be as simple as a line in the game description&c. "If you like DROD please vote for us."

07-10-2012 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
vittro wrote:
Valve have just announced Steam Greenlight. The new service will work like the Steam Workshop, but for indie games. Creators can submit their work for rating by gamers, and the best rated games will then enter Valve’s approval process for inclusion in the Steam store.

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight
Excellent! We'll be all over this, and asking that the community help out in getting the word out, so we can get the games in, so we can get the word out.

Please help us to help you to help us all.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-10-2012 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
mrimer wrote: We'll be all over this, and asking that the community help out in getting the word out, so we can get the games in, so we can get the word out.

Please help us to help you to help us all.
My brain hurts. Can you be, if not clearer, more specific? Like, what is it that we can do?
07-10-2012 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Step 1: Steam games receive votes, Valve starts paying attention

Step 2: We get people to vote for games we want to see on Steam. In this case, I imagine we probably want DROD on Steam.

Step 3: Mrimer suddenly explodes into money and we need a new one.
07-10-2012 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Hire me one you explode into money Mike, I could spend all my life making Flash DRODs.

07-10-2012 at 10:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I have already threatened suggested to a lot of my friends to do some voting for the game when it gets put on Greenlight. :)

07-10-2012 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Banjooie wrote:
Step 1: Steam games receive votes, Valve starts paying attention

Step 2: We get people to vote for games we want to see on Steam. In this case, I imagine we probably want DROD on Steam.

Step 3: Mrimer suddenly explodes into money and we need a new one.
So *that's* the mysterious Step 2. I've always wondered.

07-10-2012 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this (+2)  
They've started greenlight on steam now.
Was drod submitted? If so, when would it be up for voting? I didn't see it there...

08-30-2012 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Yeah Greenlight is live. Can't wait to see DROD on it

08-30-2012 at 08:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Honestly, it's probably best to wait a little bit until the flood of submissions is done. Right now it's all mostly fairly mediocre entries along with stupid people uploading stuff they don't own.

08-30-2012 at 09:53 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this (+2)  
I disagree about waiting, the time is NOW. And the reason is, you're trying to reach a fixed amount of votes, downvotes don't count as negatives, and a lot of people are still in the system because it's new. Also, it won't be easier to stand out from the crowd in the future, all these hundreds of projects will still be there, so might as well start gathering those upvotes right now.

Just read this guide and make sure your Greenlight looks as good as possible: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2914767

08-31-2012 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Maurog wrote:
I disagree about waiting, the time is NOW. And the reason is, you're trying to reach a fixed amount of votes, downvotes don't count as negatives, and a lot of people are still in the system because it's new. Also, it won't be easier to stand out from the crowd in the future, all these hundreds of projects will still be there, so might as well start gathering those upvotes right now.

Just read this guide and make sure your Greenlight looks as good as possible: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2914767

This is solid advice. Come on Caravel!

08-31-2012 at 08:33 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this (+3)  
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement! Caravel would have already had their entries up yesterday, but I had an outrageous two-week-long emergency to deal with at my day job and just completed getting it resolved. I expect to start preparing DROD submissions today, and I'll post here again when we're ready for those upvotes!

09-01-2012 at 06:57 PM
Oneiromancer
I'll be very glad to see DROD up on Steam Greenlight, but I have to say, my initial enthusiasm for the service in general has been severely curtailed. There are so many fake postings--like putting someone else's game up, or including random photos for screenshots--that I don't want to deal with it until Valve figures out how to screen the content that makes it to the public. I guess Valve thought that the community doing self-policing (through reporting fake games) would be enough, but it's bad enough wading through simply bad games to find the good ones; adding fake ones on top of that just drove me away.

If Valve doesn't fix it, I suspect most games will only get votes from word of mouth outside of Steam itself. Maybe they will institute some "featured" list of games that have received a good number of upvotes, enough to "prove" they are legitimate, but which still need more support. I see that already in the last day or so they've added more criteria to how you can browse the games on the right side of the window, so they are clearly working on things.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-01-2012 at 07:38 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
I'm guessing waiting for TSS isn't an option, so maybe putting GatEB only up might be a good idea?
Save splitting of votes between games, and means they would at least be voting for the newest engine. Also the hold is more newbie-friendly...
09-01-2012 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I'd definitely say, go for it.

If this doesn't work you'll still get some extra exposure, so why not?

09-02-2012 at 08:16 PM
mrimer
Moo wrote:
Save splitting of votes between games, and means they would at least be voting for the newest engine. Also the hold is more newbie-friendly...
Oh, this is news to me. Why would players have to split votes? Are you saying that Steam members are only allowed to vote on a certain number of titles?

09-03-2012 at 03:46 PM
mrimer
All right! Here's the entry for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on Steam Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93811035

This is the time for all DROD fans to materially support getting the word out about DROD, by upvoting this game so it can be published on Steam!

I'll be preparing content for the other games as well. Unless there's a reason not to, I'll plan to make those entries public soon too.

09-03-2012 at 04:04 PM
Moo
I was thinking of people who may see one of the games in the list, decide it looks interesting, and vote for it...
09-03-2012 at 04:40 PM
mrimer
Moo wrote:
I was thinking of people who may see one of the games in the list, decide it looks interesting, and vote for it...
Ah, that makes sense.

09-03-2012 at 05:04 PM
mrimer
I've made a new topic for our Greenlight entry for DROD:GatEB, with a clear topic name:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=34791

09-03-2012 at 05:08 PM
Oneiromancer
mrimer wrote:
I'll be preparing content for the other games as well. Unless there's a reason not to, I'll plan to make those entries public soon too.
Well, actually, I think it might work better on Steam to have the other game packs be "DLC" instead of completely separate games. It's not like the engine doesn't support this. And like others have said, it might be better not to saturate the Greenlight list with 4 different versions of DROD.

09-03-2012 at 06:57 PM
mrimer
Oneiromancer wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Well, actually, I think it might work better on Steam to have the other game packs be "DLC" instead of completely separate games. It's not like the engine doesn't support this. And like others have said, it might be better not to saturate the Greenlight list with 4 different versions of DROD.
Yeah, that could work. We'll need to get one of them on there first, but then, yeah!

09-03-2012 at 07:22 PM
Moo
But the engine doesn't really support this very well yet, which is why I mentioned waiting for TSS. Also the steam DLC method would probably need it to be able to install the new content from the steam servers, instead of relying on an external system (ie CaravelNet) to install it.

But for getting new players interested, GatEB on its own should be good enough.
09-03-2012 at 08:55 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yes, it might be best for the other game content to be TSS DLC, seeing as we're going to

09-04-2012 at 12:08 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Jatopian wrote:
Yes, it might be best for the other game content to be TSS DLC, seeing as we're going to
You got me there. I thought that you were almost going to

I wish that man would stay away
09-04-2012 at 01:21 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Mr. Imer, is it worth:
(a) mentioning there are windows, mac and linux versions
(b) providing a direct link to the flash version and
(c) including quotes/testimonials from other sites e.g. the one that calls drod the best puzzle game ever etc?

i.e.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jacob at 09-05-2012 10:35 PM]
09-05-2012 at 10:33 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
(a) They only have mac and pc options for now, and that info is already there.
(b) No. I don't think that will have a positive effect.
(c) If you really want to, I'd ask permission first.

PS. Note that these are my personal opinions and not Caravel's.

09-05-2012 at 10:41 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mr. Imer, keep an eye on this
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com