Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
Blondbeard wrote:
I feel so calm :lol I really hope you're joking about how mad and frustrated I became. Anyway... I apreciate that you have gained the knowledge which took me years to achive. Good job!

By the way: Does the encoder sometimes mess up for you as well? It's a bit frustrating having let it run for an hour only to get an error report once it finnishes :( (that I do find frustrating, for real). And sometimes the sound did not record and I had to reboot my computer.
Love the video...! Great first podcast :)
Oh.. and your Swedish accent sounds very realistic. I'm not good at accents
04-22-2012 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Thanks for the playthrough of Beethro's Brain.
04-23-2012 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
Blondbeard wrote:
Thanks for the playthrough of Beethro's Brain.

It was a lot of fun!

Click here to view the secret text

04-23-2012 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Pearls wrote:
FWIW, if Perfection is comparable to Complex Complex (which I purchased, played the first floor of, and, incidentally, that's when I decided to start my Let's Play series.), I could maybe manage. CC was...a nicely harrowing difficulty. I'm sure my mind would melt into steamy gunky sludge down a few floors.

Actually I think you are ready for Complex Complex now, and I would love to see your reactions to some of the snide remarks in the scrolls. Those were my main contribution ;) And I would love to see you struggle through the puzzles.
04-29-2012 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
Blondbeard wrote:

Actually I think you are ready for Complex Complex now, and I would love to see your reactions to some of the snide remarks in the scrolls. Those were my main contribution ;) And I would love to see you struggle through the puzzles.

I have a few other projects in mind for the time being, but I'm sure some day I'll get around to it. I'm going to try my hand at architecture for a hot second.

05-01-2012 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
My brief attempt at architecture was a lot of fun but it took me forever to think up any puzzles. I really liked all the scripting capabilities and such, lots of fun things one can do there. Kudos to the developers for making it so easy to use!

05-01-2012 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720

File: Panoply of Pearls.hold (4.6 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Other
Pearls, I've really been enjoying your LP of JtRH. I've never tried my hand at architecture before, but I was inspired to make this hold based around one of your favorite elements. I really think you'll like it.
05-06-2012 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pearls
RabidChild wrote:
Pearls, I've really been enjoying your LP of JtRH. I've never tried my hand at architecture before, but I was inspired to make this hold based around one of your favorite elements. I really think you'll like it.

This...this flatters me like you wouldn't believe. Thank you, so much and I'm super glad you're enjoying my videos. I'm going to go play your hold RIGHT NOW. I'm sure, if I've picked up on your sarcasm right, that I'm going to just love it. :lol

05-06-2012 at 07:38 AM
melgib
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Pearls, just want to thank you (like many others, I guess) for your videos!
Yesterday I completed the last levels of JtRH partially with your help :)

[Last edited by melgib at 05-07-2012 06:51 AM]
05-07-2012 at 06:51 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
Pearls, I only noticed today that you've LP-ed Aurora's Palace.

I'm glad you liked it and glad you didn't have an aneurysm playing it.

Just to clarify, the hold was made in AE (to enable it to be played in any version of DROD). This explains the odd level styles (beach style in the castle, for example) when played in DROD4, the lack of secret rooms or mastery (since it's not possible to implement them in AE), scripting and so on.

You mention you liked the sewer levels because of "meta", multi-room element and want to see more holds like that.

Examples I can think of are "Figure or Ground" (where it's pretty much the theme of the hold), bits of "Labyrinthitis" (Levels 1 and 4), "Domain of the Grinfidel" (Levels 1, 5 and 6), the Shapeshifting level in "Choose your Adventure", "Population Density" and a few rooms in "Treasure Hunt". And bits of A Quiet Place, which you've played.

06-05-2012 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Of those, I can personally recommend Figure or Ground, which is basically the most advanced multi-room puzzle maze; Population Density, which is less brainmelty; and Treasure Hunt / Treasure Hunt Master Quest, which is an old classic.

06-05-2012 at 09:31 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I would tell you that Val Unrich has meta parts to it.

I wish that man would stay away
06-06-2012 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I'm pretty sure Rabscuttle's "Maze Nineteen" also fits the bill.

06-06-2012 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
And parts of Complex Complex (primeraly Lava Gates).
06-06-2012 at 04:54 PM
Pearls
Well, looks like I'm going to be kept busy for a long while! I gotta finish up TCB, first, though.

06-06-2012 at 06:50 PM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Pearls, I've been watching your series, from KDD up to now, though I only really began watching them a week and a half ago or so. I've already gone through all of KDD and JtRH and what's been released of TCB. Looking through Terrakept Resonant now, keep it up, you're doing good work!

06-09-2012 at 03:26 PM
Jacob
I've updated the Beginner's Guide to DROD to mention these Let's Plays and FlashDROD, but it also reminded me that Sandtrap is a multiroom puzzle too.

06-20-2012 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Jacob wrote:
I've updated the Beginner's Guide to DROD to mention these Let's Plays and FlashDROD, but it also reminded me that Sandtrap is a multiroom puzzle too.

<333333333333333333333333333333333333

06-20-2012 at 02:05 PM
Delpolo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
Sort of bump here, and it's barely semi-relevant, but no Let's Play of DROD I've seen on YouTube has included the in-game music; I assume it's because of copyright?

09-10-2012 at 04:45 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Delpolo wrote:
Sort of bump here, and it's barely semi-relevant, but no Let's Play of DROD I've seen on YouTube has included the in-game music; I assume it's because of copyright?
Coincidence I suspect. Having in-game music in a Let's Play would generally be considered fair use for the purpose of review. It's not tested much because a developer would have to be really unwise to start hassling LPers.

09-10-2012 at 05:00 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I once asked Pearls about the lack of in-game music, and I think I remember his answer being that he didn't want it to overlap his voice.

Though I'd really like to hear the game's music in his playthroughs. After all, it's possible to tweak the knobs so it isn't louder than his voice.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-10-2012 at 12:27 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
If we're voting on it I say leave the music off. I can hear that any time, I watch LPs for the commentary.

09-10-2012 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Schik wrote:
If we're voting on it I say leave the music off. I can hear that any time, I watch LPs for the commentary.
Agreed.

If you want the music, play the game :p
11-10-2012 at 05:39 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I, uh, would vote for the music, as long as you keep it quiet enough that it's only really audible when you're not talking.
11-11-2012 at 09:33 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
I, uh, would vote for the music, as long as you keep it quiet enough that it's only really audible when you're not talking.
I vote for using a compressor with side-chaining on the game's audio...

np: The Herbaliser - The Lost Boy (ft. Hannah Clive) (There Were Seven)

11-11-2012 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Here's a new LP, which seems pretty good so far.

12-31-2013 at 11:43 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Did you mean to post a link?
01-01-2014 at 01:34 AM
Jacob
That would've been a good idea, yep.
Here's one

His reaction to pits is certainly...interesting.

[Last edited by Jacob at 01-01-2014 02:10 AM]
01-01-2014 at 02:02 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
Thanks for posting this! Here's a link to the playlist, which makes it easier to select any video. It's still ongoing, and he sounds like he's determined to make it to the end.

I like this LP a lot; you get to see the game through the eyes of someone new to it, and his reaction to new elements and plot developments. It's very refreshing to see how much he likes a lot of the elements that we've grown to hate after playing a few too many evil rooms ;)

A warning, though -- it is long. He's not a bad player, but he's still learning how to handle new elements and techniques. Right now, he's midway through Twelfth Level and the combined length of the LP is 13 hours, closing in on the time Pearls took for the whole of JtRH. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on with some of the levels coming up ;)

03-01-2014 at 12:23 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Was the scary-but-forgiving nature of JtRH level 12 (the tar mother one) a conscious act on the architect's part? As in it shows you all the ways tar can ruin your day, and if you're observant, it's very clear that it could have happened, but it stops short of actually ensnaring you in those potential traps. This basically makes the player treat tar with caution later on without excessively frustrating him/her (as opposed to KDD level 8, which has a tendency to make people give up on the game.) Despite this forgivingness, it's still a difficult level, it just doesn't feel unfair. If so, that's some pretty brilliant level design.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 03-01-2014 01:08 AM]
03-01-2014 at 12:59 AM
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com