Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
IP: Logged
icon Decent DROD Let's Play (+3)  
I've come across a guy on Youtube who is quite succesfully Let's Playing DROD KDD and JtRH with very extensive commentary. Take a look if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/user/Pearls13a

[Last edited by slimm tom at 03-01-2012 11:15 PM]
03-01-2012 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
Not that I want to steal anyone's thunder, but this is a good of a time (and post) to mention this. Fairly soon, since my youtube channel has gained some popularity, I will also start a DRoD Gameplay, including Walkthroughs and Tips along the way.

That aside, I'll also check out this video when I can.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
03-02-2012 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Actually, it looks like both his KDD and his JtRH Let's Plays are already finished, but he's apparently considering playing some more DROD, so who knows what else he might do.

03-02-2012 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+3)  
Am up to about number 30 of KDD, I'm ashamed to admit. (Don't I play enough DROD - why do I have to watch someone else do it??)
But it's fun to watch someone work their way through the levels and see what they get straight away and what they struggle with.
It'll probably be more fun when we get to JtRH too.

Would probably enjoy it a bit more if there were some more in-depth analysis of how puzzles and elements work. As it is, he more often just describes what he's doing and sometimes gets things wrong (e.g. he says a lone wraithwing can kill you if you get right next to it)

So reason I'm posting is - does anyone else think this would make a great contest.
Pick a some rooms (from any hold, one you made or someone else's - though guess you'd need permission?) and do a let's play (say limited to 10 minutes, or whatever). Since we're all mostly experienced drodders here, this would be a good chance to make a video showing off good architecture/puzzles and good playing, along with some interesting analysis (e.g. how the puzzles work, what you think of them, how you designed the room, how you solved it, what you think of the story, or whatever).

This hopefully, would be fun and interesting enough for the rest of the community and might show them something interesting they've not seen before, but also could then be put on youtube to get other people interested. (actually it would have to be hosted there or somewhere else anyway, since the filesizes would be too big).

03-05-2012 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Jacob wrote:
does anyone else think this would make a great contest.
I do!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-05-2012 at 09:02 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
We'd need to give them advice on video recording software and stuff. I know I'm clueless about it. But that might be cool.

03-05-2012 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
http://camstudio.org/ free program which can record screen directly. I have used it to record a walkthrough of my own game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxlBg1v7094 (nothing amazing here). Generally it's pretty intuitive and overall cool.

I have also used it to record a trial/sneak-peek video and there was one problem - by sound card does not allow to record the outgoing sound. I had to make a trick and connect the sound-out with... Microphone in :).

03-05-2012 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Would be quite nice to see how mxvladi or syntax works their way through holds :) Or why not a Let's Play by TFMurphey. I wonder if even mrimer knows the rules and quirks as intimitly as him.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-06-2012 03:27 PM]
03-06-2012 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Blondbeard wrote:
Would be quite nice to see how mxvladi or syntax works their way through holds :) Or why not a Let's Play by TFMurphy. I wonder if even mrimer knows the rules and quirks as intimitly as him.
Yes, you're probably right. I would be quite interested to watch how experts play.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-06-2012 at 03:29 PM
skell
I, for one, would like to watch a complete walkthrough of TT with commentary about why which decisions were made. With all the secrets. Something for those of us who just can't get through the second half of the game :weep

03-06-2012 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Isn't there walk-throughs for that. I wouldn't be surprised if I've posted one :) Anyway... I might look into it sometime when I have a lot of time. Might be fun to make a let's play. But you kind of have to cheat ahead, since the multiple restores that follow trying to optimise might not be so fun to see (or maybe that would be a part of the process that should be showed?).
03-06-2012 at 04:37 PM
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
skell wrote:
I, for one, would like to watch a complete walkthrough of TT with commentary about why which decisions were made. With all the secrets. Something for those of us who just can't get through the second half of the game :weep
I'll second this, though my problem is that I end up paralysed with indecision partway through the Goblin Lair. Strategy isn't my strong suit.

I'd been toying with the idea of doing a DROD Let's Play for a while, though I'll probably never get around to it. It's good to see it being done competently, though I haven't clicked around too much yet. Now let's see him do Perfection :smile

If you go ahead with making a Let's Play contest, there's a ton of information on Something Awful's Let's Play subforum about recording and editing software. It's meant for working with HD games and making videos with super-high production values, so a lot of the information is very technical and some of the suggested software is a bit expensive, but maybe there's some useful information there for you. Here's the link, but some of the language can be a bit inappropriate for this forum (though if you've not got an account a lot of the swearwords are filtered). You might need to buy a Something Awful account to see it - sometimes the administrators throw up a paywall for a couple of weeks to drum up registrations. If you can't see it but you're interested, let me know and maybe I can copy some relevant information from there.
03-06-2012 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
It pains me that something as nice as the SA letsplay community is embedded in a cesspit like Something Awful.

03-06-2012 at 05:33 PM
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
Jatopian wrote:
It pains me that something as nice as the SA letsplay community is embedded in a cesspit like Something Awful.
Well, it's not that bad (although it probably helps that I lurk more than I post). I'm not sure what it was like a few years ago, but since I joined in mid-2010 the moderators have usually been very tough on really awful people, as have the rest of the community. It's still very easy to get yourself punished or made fun of for making mistakes, though, so I won't try to sell you on it.
03-06-2012 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Blondbeard
If I were to make a let's play of DROD RPG: where does the program you tipped us about save the AVI files, skell, and what sould I think about.

Should I skip all dialoge, and fokus on my choises?

Should I try to minimize restoring, or is restoring not a problem?

Is it okay to use the RPG-excell spreadsheat, and stop and talk about calculations?
03-07-2012 at 09:29 AM
skell
Blondbeard wrote:
If I were to make a let's play of DROD RPG: where does the program you tipped us about save the AVI files, skell, and what sould I think about.

Should I skip all dialoge, and fokus on my choises?

Should I try to minimize restoring, or is restoring not a problem?

Is it okay to use the RPG-excell spreadsheat, and stop and talk about calculations?
In the program you tell it where to save the file after you finish recording.
I can't speak for all but what I'd like to see the most:
- All game secrets and scenes
- Minimizing restoring would be nice, ideally no restoring at all
- Spreadsheet sounds okay, I'd love to get a lot of insight about decision-making process and calculations

03-07-2012 at 11:28 AM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+6)  
Uh oh, my secret's out. And of course, now everyone knows just how bad a player I am. Please be gentle, I'm new and don't have a ton of hours under my belt!

Either way, I'm glad some people are liking them, even if they are erroneous/terribly inefficient. <hides face>

Click here to view the secret text

03-13-2012 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I enjoyed the way you went about it. I tend to try for efficiency but it takes me forever to figure out some rooms. I've got your videos bookmarked just in case I get frustrated later---it's a great resource and thanks for putting them up.

03-13-2012 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I found them very enjoyable to watch. It's a very long time ago that I've finished them, and it's useful to learn from other players to see in what ways KDD can be improved upon if KDD was made now.

Here, let me give you some more rank points.

[Last edited by Tim at 03-13-2012 01:55 PM : english]
03-13-2012 at 01:54 PM
Pearls
Ah, thank you! I'm probably a little too harsh with my criticisms at some point. A certain maze on the last floor comes to mind, but overall, it was one of those rare, rare games/series that I could get people who don't play video games to play an irresponsible amount after recommendation.

I kind of get into my groove a little better with Journey, which is also complete now. Not sure what I'll do next. City would make sense, but there's some SS I want to give a shot. Any recommendations?

03-13-2012 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
TCB probably does make the most sense but quite happily the next DROD game (engine and all) is coming out very, very soon. Perhaps you could start that!

03-13-2012 at 02:48 PM
Pearls
Someone mentioned Perfection, which would make sense from a timeline perspective if the description isn't lying to me. I'm not afraid of hard work, and as clumsy and occasionally very dumb as I am in a few of the videos, all we ever share with each other are demos generally. You try winging half those rooms on the first try while trying to hold a conversation. It's tricky! (or I'm really just terrible.)

Look at me, getting all defensive!

03-13-2012 at 03:01 PM
Tim
I wish I could tell you what you should do next.

On the other hand, you might find Perfection not the most ideal hold to play next. Perfection is a much more harder than most of the available holds (most Smitemaster Selections are), and finishing it now will make other holds seem too easy.

If you haven't read Beginner's Guide to DROD you might want to read it.

And if you haven't played Advanced Concepts you might want to try it first. It might not be a very good hold to make a Let's Play for, but it's definitely useful learning material.

03-13-2012 at 03:44 PM
Pearls
I'm not sure if I should be take offense or not, haha.

I've mastered two holds, in a relatively decent amount of time, but I'll conceded to a good amount of nubbery. I've completed Advanced Concepts (and II) and use a lot of its tips in my videos, albeit indirectly.

Unless you meant the beginner's guide for the Hold recommendations, then yeah.

As far as that wraithwing comment, I swear, I've been clean for months.

FWIW, if Perfection is comparable to Complex Complex (which I purchased, played the first floor of, and, incidentally, that's when I decided to start my Let's Play series.), I could maybe manage. CC was...a nicely harrowing difficulty. I'm sure my mind would melt into steamy gunky sludge down a few floors.

03-13-2012 at 03:59 PM
Tim
Pearls wrote:
Unless you meant the beginner's guide for the Hold recommendations, then yeah.
That's what I mean. :)

That's a pretty good list of holds there.

And apologies for me even suggesting you're not good. (I just wanted you to try some of my holds before tackling the harder ones lol.)

03-13-2012 at 04:08 PM
Pearls
I'm just giving you a hard time. You watched those videos? You see how many times I run into things because I'm in a hurry? My backspace button grunts at me every time I press it now.

You know what, for an interlude, give me one of your holds to play, and I'll Let's Play it. Just because I feel bad for being sassy.

03-13-2012 at 04:12 PM
Tim
Pearls wrote:
I'm just giving you a hard time. You watched those videos? You see how many times I run into things because I'm in a hurry? My backspace button grunts at me every time I press it now.
Yeah, I was surprised how much you use the backspace key. As someone who made holds I always wonder if the checkpoints are sufficient enough. So your movies ares are very insightful in this aspect.
You know what, for an interlude, give me one of your holds to play, and I'll Let's Play it. Just because I feel bad for being sassy.
Well, go for Tunnel Vision then. :)

Incidentally I've also done the sword tricks part in Advance Concepts I, so you've already played some of mine already :)

[Last edited by Tim at 03-13-2012 04:22 PM : wrong link :)]
03-13-2012 at 04:19 PM
Pearls
Tunnel Vision it is.

As far as the backspace button, I could maybe elaborate.

1)It's extremely difficult to talk and play at the same time for me. When I play piano, I'm the same way. It's difficult for me to hold a smooth conversation and keep a streamlined performance. My brain goes two very very different places, and I don't have the RAM to maintain both very well. When I'm not Let's Playing, I use it far, far less frequently.

2)To this end, the backspace button is a good way for me to check the consequences of a move very quickly without too much of a punishment and without having to dedicate a ton of time analyzing every possible outcome. Like when playing chess, we mentally arrange the pieces and their vulnerabilities and that takes time. The backspace button permits the, "Oh, you would've taken my bishop, well then I won't do that and I'll discontinue pursuing that avenue of thought." It's efficiency of a very different sort.

3)Advanced Concepts or no, figuring out monster movement when there are hordes and hordes of them is a little beyond me. I remember a secret room in JtRH that had a "Fight 100" or some number theme. Pure trial and error. Would've been absolute hell without a backspace.

03-13-2012 at 04:28 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I haven't watched *all* of your videos - that's a lot of hours - but what I've seen was very fun to watch. I look forward to watching more!

03-13-2012 at 04:31 PM
Tim
Thank you for your explanations. It's very insightful.

And now I'm running out of mod points! :)

PS. Tunnel Vision is a 1 level hold, so take your time.

03-13-2012 at 04:44 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No