Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Do Not Disturb: An Architecture Contest
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged

File: Do Not Disturb - Template.hold (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Do Not Disturb: An Architecture Contest (+3)  
I am trying my hand at running an architecture contest. The title "Do Not Disturb" is the theme, as you will be constructing rooms around preplaced monsters.

The Rules:
- This contest requires using DROD:TCB.
- You will submit a hold using the attached hold as a template.
- You may not add or remove any rooms.
- While making your version of the hold you can use any elements on the first three tabs of the editor.
- You cannot use anything on the monster tab (fourth tab), with one exception:
- Invisible NPCs will be allowed ONLY for the purposes of speech/dialog. No other NPCs or scripting will be allowed.
- Note that you can add tarstuff blobs, but not mothers or babies.
- You can write any intro/exit text you want and rename the level/hold.

You have two weeks to prepare your hold and submit it this topic. The deadline for entry ends on February 1, 2012.

If you want your hold included in a contest compilation, please say so and make your entry Anyone Edit.

01-18-2012 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Do Not Disturb: An Architecture Contest (0)  
I am very interested in this contest. It looks like a lot of fun, and I shall probably join in.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-18-2012 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Well, this seems like a neat idea! I can't guarantee that I'll enter, but it's possible that I might do so, since it wouldn't be that much of a time requirement.

-

Also, for an additional challenge, conquer the template hold in-game. There aren't any checkpoints, and 1W and 1S1W might be a bit difficult, but be assured that they are doable. :)

01-18-2012 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Chaco wrote:
Also, for an additional challenge, conquer the template hold in-game. There aren't any checkpoints, and 1W and 1S1W might be a bit difficult, but be assured that they are doable. :)
Heh. In that case, an unscrupulous person's entry could just be a copy of brian's template, since nothing in the rules says you necessarily have to *add* anything. ;)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-18-2012 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
If anybody is going to submit my template unmodified as an entry, it's going to be me! ;)
01-18-2012 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407

File: Do Not Disturb the Animals.hold (4.2 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
icon Re: Do Not Disturb: An Architecture Contest (+2)  
That deadline sort of snuck up on me. Here's a quick entry; it can go in a compilation if one gets made.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 01-31-2012 11:20 AM : Seriously, why am I having so much trouble making 1E work right?]
01-29-2012 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662

File: Tricksters Do Not Disturb.hold (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
Here is my submission. It is hard.

I would be fine with it being in a compilation hold, hence the "Anyone Edit" privilege.

If someone who is really, really good at DROD would like to play mine prior to the deadline, I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for unintended solutions (unless they totally break the entire level), but I do want to confirm that there are no backtracking bugs or such. The path through six rooms is complicated (it requires more than thirty room exits to complete the level). I'm 99% certain it is good to go, but one never knows. A few last-minute changes may have destroyed it.

I'll probably playtest it myself one last time prior to the deadline just to be on the safe side (in case I need to fix and resubmit).

EDIT: Just updated with a new version. No major differences, but I fixed a script that tells you where to go after exiting W after conquering 1E1S, and updated a few changes to 1W1S (changed the upper door so roaches can go through, removed a small unneeded black gate, added a small black gate to enforce non-orb approach to challenge version).

All in all this is mostly aesthetic changes except it makes the initial scamper through 1W1S reasonably harder, and it makes the initial part of the challenge version slightly tougher (but not significantly). It's pretty much the same hold. But you should update.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 01-31-2012 03:38 AM]
01-30-2012 at 09:41 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211

File: Two Hours.hold (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
Ok, so, a little late (2 hours ago) I realized that I really wanted to join this contest.

I nearly gave up a couple of times. But somehow I managed to finish it. You won't find any top class rooms, but I hope there will turn out to be some interesting challenges in my level.

Have fun :)

EDIT: And using my hold for a compilation is completely fine by me :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 02-03-2012 12:15 PM]
01-30-2012 at 05:43 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
OK I tried to import the various entries but except for the original template they all got an error message that said they were created by a new version. My version is 3.2.1.89 . I don't see any patches for newer than that. What am I missing?

01-31-2012 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
techant wrote:
OK I tried to import the various entries but except for the original template they all got an error message that said they were created by a new version. My version is 3.2.1.89 . I don't see any patches for newer than that. What am I missing?
Missing 3.3 :). You can get it from here.

[Last edited by skell at 01-31-2012 11:25 AM]
01-31-2012 at 11:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Ok, so I've cleared Trickster's level.

Overall comments:

Comments on the rooms:

[Last edited by Rheb at 01-31-2012 01:22 PM]
01-31-2012 at 01:19 PM
brian_s

File: Do Not Disturb - Brian_S fix_2.hold (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
My entry into my contest. About a week ago I thought I should make a submission (other than aunmodified template) and this is the result.

Sorry, my 1S1W was unsolvable as it was. I uploaded a fixed version of the hold.

Edit again, more fixes.

[Last edited by brian_s at 02-01-2012 11:27 PM : Fix Hold]
01-31-2012 at 06:38 PM
techant
Thanks that solved it. I like this contest and may try to do one before the deadline. It looks fun. :fun

Wait what am I doing to myself... :~(

02-01-2012 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
brian_s wrote:
Sorry, my 1S1W was unsolvable as it was. I uploaded a fixed version of the hold.
Actually it was possible. (Though messing around with the queens was not pretty).

02-01-2012 at 10:52 AM
brian_s
Trickster wrote:
[1S1W is now solvable, but 1W is not (afaik):

I beat 1S and 1S1E as well. 1S1E seems unintentionally easy so there may be a big US there, or it may just be easy.

Right on both counts. I had a hot tile at (13,9) and (23,9) in 1W but forgot what it was for while working on the bottom half. And yes, there is at least one unintended soultion 1S1E.

This seems to happen to everything I release publicly that no matter how well I think it is put together, someone will find a mistake or unintended solution.
02-01-2012 at 05:19 PM
brian_s
Second fix attached to my submission post, fixes in 1W and 1S1E.

I still have some bad habits to break in my level design process. :(
02-01-2012 at 11:30 PM
brian_s
My intended solution for my 1S1E works just fine. Maybe your solution was an unintended solution I eliminated.

I like the challenges you came up with! I really did not expect the one in 1S, I could never get the slayer to cooperate with the gel.
02-02-2012 at 05:57 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
brian_s, since you've already had one unsolvable room put out by accident, maybe you should provide a victory demo with the intended solution, or at least rewatch your own to make sure it still works.

02-02-2012 at 08:56 PM
techant

File: techants Do Not Disturb.hold (5.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
This is not an entry...that is it is not part of the contest because it did not make the dead line. But, I was so close to finishing that I decide to let you all play it anyway, if you want to that is. :fun

(Permission is given to include it in the compilation if you want to, but I do understand if you don't include it.)

02-02-2012 at 11:28 PM
techant
Like I said, I know it is a late entry outside of the rules and I like rules, so don't worry about it. :D

Enjoy playing it anyway.

02-03-2012 at 05:27 AM
brian_s
I'll gladly include your hold in the compilation! But I am going to stick to the rules and not change the poll.
02-03-2012 at 11:13 PM
techant
brian_s wrote:
I'll gladly include your hold in the compilation! But I am going to stick to the rules and not change the poll.

Glad to hear that I like the rules and I didn't want to break them. I only posted it because I thought you all might enjoy it anyway. Please feel free to post a scroll or any other notice you want in the compilation to let players know it was not part of the original contest entries.

I was just glad to work on a hold with all the real life stuff I had going on. I got stuck in the snake room and just couldn't come up with a good room in time for the deadline.

02-04-2012 at 09:21 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505

File: The Lazy architects dungeon.hold (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
icon Re: Do Not Disturb: An Architecture Contest (+1)  
I finally have some free time, so I've decided to try to build something using given template... and here's another out-of-contest entry.

1W - I was too lazy to try to make any decent stalwart puzzles, so I just made serpents easily killable and that's it.
The rest of rooms should be fun little diversions. 1E is easier than the rest, so(apart from 1W) that's where you should start from.

Enjoy. :)

EDIT: And yes, it can be included in compilation

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-12-2012 08:10 PM]
02-12-2012 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Do Not Disturb: An Architecture Contest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com