Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : The All-Seeing Eye (Our news for September/October)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon The All-Seeing Eye (+3)  
We have lots of news to catch up on for the last couple of months!

Smitemaster's Selection CDs for "Finding the First Truth" have shipped

Everyone who pre-ordered this summer's Smitemaster's Selection on CD should have received their copy by now in the mail. If anyone hasn't received theirs, please write us at info@caravelgames.com. Just in case anyone missed ordering this CD, I had a few extra printed. There are still a few left to order if you want to buy a copy:

http://caravelgames.com/buySS.html

Get it before it's gone! If you have already purchased the download version, you can write us an e-mail and we can provide you a coupon code so you can buy the CD version at a reduced price.

DROD: The City Beneath 3.3 ("The All-Seeing Eye") is released

It has been three years since DROD:TCB version 3.2 was released. We just released a new patch that will upgrade your game to version 3.3.0. It contains many stability fixes and some nice enhancements too. TFMurphy and Schik have put in a lot of hours making this new version great! You can read all about it here:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=32361

With the new version, please be aware that a few published holds will need minor updates applied due to game logic fixes listed by TFMurphy in the following thread:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=32363

This is the last major update planned for DROD until DROD 4 comes out. Stay tuned for more news on this development next time!

Indie Games for Good

I believe in charity to a worthy cause, and this news item is important enough to me that maybe I should have put it first. We were contacted by Matt Rasmussen, the event coordinator of "Indie Games For Good", a charity game-a-thon happening this upcoming week. Matt requested DROD be included in their indie game lineup for the event. Matt's pitch is worded better than I could paraphrase it here, so I'll just quote part of what he wrote me:

"[DROD] would be a great addition to our lineup. As classic as it is classy, DROD is a game that many of our team members have fond memories of playing while growing up, and we'd be willing to bet some of our viewers will too.

Starting November 4th, we’re going to be live-streaming ourselves playing indie games continuously until the marathon clock runs out. The amount of time left on the clock will be extended each time someone makes a donation. Our donation page allows us to keep track of how much money we’ve raised while ensuring that all of it goes directly to the tax-deductible gamer-run charity, Child's Play.

Since we’re focusing on independently developed titles, we’re giving donors the option to pick which game we’ll play during the time their donation adds to the clock. We want to provide them a solid list of good indie games to pick from, so if it’s okay with you, we’d like to include DROD in that list.

All donations made during October will lock in up to an hour per game at an extra-low rate. So if you want to ensure that we play DROD (or any other game), simply make a donation."

When you donate, you can choose which game you want your contribution attributed to, and then their team will spend more time playing that game until the clock runs out. Caravel is excited for DROD to be involved in this event. I'd prefer you contribute for them to play DROD, but they have many potential games on their lineup that you can select. Even if you're not interested in contributing, please mention the event to those you know who might be. The more people hear about this, the bigger a difference we can make for Child’s Play and for indie games. If you don't know anyone else, you can at least stop in to their site starting on November 4th and watch the event!

http://iggmarathon.com/donate/

Some of Schik's latest awesomeness on the Caravel Forum

* Many have noticed the new architect "builder" icon under each forum post. Click it to see a list of holds published by that forum member.

* Under the High Scores link at the top of the forum, there is a "My Stats" menu tab. It has four columns: Hold, Score, Number of High Scores, Average Rank. These can now be sorted!

* There is a new Mass Hold Rating page you can access from your forum Profile link at the top of the page, by clicking the Hold Ratings tab. View and manage all your hold ratings from this page!

New DROD room style

Forum member Rheb has published the Mosaic Frost Room style, which looks great! You can download and try it out here:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=30094&page=1#320738

A word for OS X users who have upgraded to Lion:

Congratulations on upgrading to Lion! Unfortunately, the OS X version of all the DROD games is built as a Power PC application. Please accept our apologies for not having a compatible version of DROD available at present. We are working to produce an Intel build that will run on Lion, but unfortunately we don't have a timeline for when we can make that available. When we have one, we will announce it in big letters in the Caravel newsletter.

Please don't despair, though. Some Caravel Forum-goers have had success with getting DROD to work on Lion through Windows emulators like Boot Camp, or Rosetta, etc.

If you'd like to try out one or two of these options, you can read about them on the Caravel Forum here:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=32005&page=0#318663

DROD-like coolness

Have you tried the free puzzle-platformer game Beret, available for download here:

http://kiwisauce.com/2011/07/27/beret-1-1-99999/

Math Geek Trivia Winner of the Year

For those who have kept reading down to this point, here is a bit of math trivia that I'll bet is cooler than any other bit of math trivia you've learned all year:

1337% of π = 42

Happy DRODing!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-04-2012 05:54 AM]
10-30-2011 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: The All-Seeing Eye (+1)  
So, to make sure I remembered the most important information, Leet PI is the answer to the life, universe and everything else?

========

Jokes aside I hope people will donate for DROD - I personally would love it to be featured as much as possible. Nevertheless, donation done :).

[Last edited by skell at 10-30-2011 05:23 PM]
10-30-2011 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Donated :)
10-30-2011 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
mrimer wrote:
Some Caravel Forum-goers have had success with getting DROD to work on Lion through Windows emulators like Boot Camp, or Rosetta, etc.
Ack. Seems like I hadn't explained myself very well, so I'll clarify: Rosetta isn't a Windows emulator. Rosetta is needed for DROD to work under OS X Snow Leopard, but DROD will not work under Lion because Lion doesn’t support Rosetta. (I've edited the original post.)
I'd only mentioned Rosetta to Elfstone and others in case they upgrade to Lion and purchase an external hard drive to install Snow Leopard on, as Rosetta is not installed as part of a standard OS X Snow Leopard installation. (In hindsight, I probably should never have mentioned it.)

Also, for those who might not be aware, Boot Camp is (according to Wikipedia) "a multi boot utility included with Mac OS X that assists users in installing Microsoft Windows operating systems on Intel-based Macintosh computers"; so you'll be running Windows natively and not virtually.

No big thing. Carry on. :)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-30-2011 10:53 PM]
10-30-2011 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
nobodybutyours
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
So happy to see Beret get more attention! Note that Chaco has created the first user-made level set (which, sinfully, I haven't yet found the time to try out), available here on the Beret Forum. (His post announcing this to the DROD community is here.)
10-30-2011 at 05:36 PM
Lamkin
Donated for DROD. :pope
10-30-2011 at 05:43 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Lamkin wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Some Caravel Forum-goers have had success with getting DROD to work on Lion through Windows emulators like Boot Camp, or Rosetta, etc.
Ack. Seems like I hadn't explained myself very well, so I'll clarify: Rosetta isn't a Windows emulator. Rosetta is needed for DROD to work under OS X Snow Leopard. Rosetta will not work under Lion. (I've edited the original post.)
I'd only mentioned Rosetta to Elfstone and others in case they upgrade to Lion and purchase an external hard drive to install Snow Leopard on, as Rosetta is not installed as part of a standard OS X Snow Leopard installation. (In hindsight, I probably should never have mentioned it.)

Also, for those who might not be aware, Boot Camp is (according to Wikipedia) "a multi boot utility included with Mac OS X that assists users in installing Microsoft Windows operating systems on Intel-based Macintosh computers"; so you'll be running Windows natively and not virtually.

No big thing. Carry on. :)

Yep. I've gotten DROD to work on Ubuntu Linux running in a VMWare Fusion appliance, so that works too. :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-30-2011 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: The All-Seeing Eye (0)  
What happens when they finish a game? I notice that "You have to burn the rope" is already down for an hour's worth of play.
10-31-2011 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
mrimer wrote:
For those who have kept reading down to this point, here is a bit of math trivia that I'll bet is cooler than any other bit of math trivia you've learned all year:

1337% of π = 42
42 has gotten SO old by now! :crazy That wasn't even that great a book!

10-31-2011 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rat Man wrote:
That wasn't even that great a book!
Indeed, it was an example of completely ridiculous, idiotic piece of nonsense glued together by a lot of gibberish. And it was the best in this genre; it was so good it was awesome.

10-31-2011 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Rat Man wrote:
That wasn't even that great a book!
This is a matter of personal opinion, but I think the first three books were really good. They had interesting plots, interesting characters, bizarre settings, and enough craziness to form them into works of awesome.

The last two (or three) books had a little too much crazy and are indeed leave some to be desired.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
10-31-2011 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Cool event! Donated.

10-31-2011 at 10:08 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
12th Archivist wrote:
...I think the first three books were really good.

Agreed, those were probably the best of the entire trilogy.

10-31-2011 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
west.logan wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:
...I think the first three books were really good.

Agreed, those were probably the best of the entire trilogy.

You had to crush my hopes, didn't you? I have the first three books and I sincerely hoped the rest would also be as good, but now I know they won't. :angry

10-31-2011 at 11:22 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I still enjoyed the others, just not as much.

Anyway Rat Man confirmed for bad taste.

10-31-2011 at 11:28 PM
Lamkin
I liked the fourth one a lot...especially the part about the biscuits. The fifth one I can't remember much of other than the ending and some somewhat amusing bits about making sandwiches.
11-01-2011 at 01:16 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I didn't like the fifth.
11-01-2011 at 05:56 AM
skell
Well I heard on this forum before and on wiki, that the ending of fifth tome is especially dull and ungratifying. I am still going to buy 3-6 should I stumble upon them in a store.

11-01-2011 at 08:12 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Just don't forget your towel.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-02-2011 at 09:15 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : The All-Seeing Eye (Our news for September/October)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com