Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Gray goo (If we can have Sokoban, we can have this too.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
IP: Logged
icon Gray goo (+4)  
Just a random idea that I'd totally script at least the basic idea of if I could:

Clearly, what DROD needs is an implementation of Conway's Game of Life. Equally clearly, it must be named The Grey Goo. Note the three-letter name. :)

Ordinarily an inert substance, when stabbed it awakens, heals the stab wound, and starts to follow the rules of Conway's Game of Life. Due to the Life rules, diagonally adjacent goo blobs do connect, but can be traversed by Beethro. When expanding into a new space, it destroys anything in that space, blocked only by hard walls (because hey, we need something to do with them) and other inert blobs of goo. It suspends itself across void, and sinks in water, allowing Beethro to walk on it. It's up to the architect to keep it from opening up unexpected paths to other rooms, since eating through doors would be particularly prone to causing backtracking issues.

However, once awakened, individual tiles can be destroyed by stabbing them. Depending on its conformation, effects can range from an inert, self-healing 2x2 square, to 3x1 "stoplight" that destroys monsters adjacent to its central space, to gliders ripping a diagonal path through the room, to explosions ripping apart the room (and probably Beethro along with them).

Goo babies? You don't want to deal with goo babies. They'll munch through monsters, and can only be killed by direct stabbing - a sideswipe won't hurt them. At least they don't chew through walls. They're formed when a piece of goostuff is left completely isolated - not an especially common occurrence, but can happen with stoplights.

Specific interactions:
-Tarstuff babies add onto inert goo when they move adjacent to it. No interaction with active goo, and active goo will happily rip through tarstuff.
-Briar and goo are two unstoppable forces. Goo eats briar, briar eats goo. At least goo can be stabbed - but it moves faster... If they both try to move into the same space, briar wins.
-Bombs will kill goo. Hot tiles won't, and will get destroyed.
-Goo probably *should* destroy pressure plates, but it doesn't because activating them is so much more fun. Put a stoplight next to an on/off pressure plate!
-Aumtlich beams will destroy a piece of goo without activating it. The feedback kills the aumtlich, though, since we don't want a single aumtlich clearing an entire room of goo.
-While goo will eat through raised doors, lowered doors will be unaffected and will destroy the goo on top of them when they're raised.

:glasses

09-13-2010 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Gray goo (0)  
Wow, this is evil. However, it's also awesome and I wholeheartedly approve.
09-15-2010 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Brilliant! Just building a solvable room would be puzzle in itself and sounds like a lot of fun. Any programmers out there up to the challenge?
09-16-2010 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
This is pretty cool; however I'm worried about the difficulty of any room puzzles that would include this, as well as having understanding of Conway's Game of Life being a prerequisite to solving DROD rooms. At least all of this goostuff starts inert, so crossing a conquered room in either direction shouldn't be too difficult for an architect to enable.

As an aside: do obstacles count as squares that new life can't form on? What about force arrows of any direction, similar to the fact that roach queens can't spawn on them?

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-16-2010 05:33 PM]
09-16-2010 at 05:32 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
One day, when the secret to increasing humans' innate intelligence is found, DROD will be resurrected and this will be among the new features.

Today is not that day.

09-16-2010 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
To be fair, understanding of goblin movement, tarstuff cutting patterns, and so on is also a prerequisite for solving DROD puzzles, and people don't seem to have issues with those. There are really only a few important Life patterns to know on a small scale, and most others either die quickly or dwindle to one or a few of said small patterns. I'd envision goo being drawn starting to grow or retract into the next turn's conformation as a visual hint.

Goo would probably respect the boundaries of obstacles and force arrows to keep it more manageable; alternatively, if eating through walls and doors proves to be unmanageable, then it would destroy and move through obstacles.

I have no clue what goo mothers would do, if they even exist. They probably don't.

09-17-2010 at 12:34 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I must say I can't ever see this as tarstuff. This stuff manifests mostly in 1x1 forms; while tarstuff can only exist in larger formats. On the other hand, they could be a different kind of briar.

Another thing is that 38x32 isn't a lot of space for complex patterns anyway, so anything that comes out would be probably as useful as a couple of skipper nests.

This isn't bad though, and even though I can't see this other than a fancier version of spiders, it's definitely a good thing to have if the devs desperately need a gimmick (they can then claim that it's an "educational" game O:- ).

09-17-2010 at 02:21 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
My first thought: Is this a joke topic?
My second thought: Hey, wait, this is actually awesome.

I'm not so sure about being able to stab the goo itself though. Would it not work better as being unkillable? For example, let's say the architect sets up a nice glider, or glider gun, or anything pretty. One stab sets it off, but another stab will immediately break down the whole thing - and most of that time, that will happen on the very next turn. It's going to be nearly impossible to design some goo with any of the nice Game of Life patterns.

If invincible, that would mean you could use those patterns - I could imagine timed puzzles involving gliders, or trying to navigate through the middle of a rapidly changing big blob of goo, etc.
09-17-2010 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Well, it's too small for a glider gun, or it would take up the entire room. But I think that you're right about it being unkillable. Maybe it can't grow onto your sword?
09-17-2010 at 03:09 AM
Dischorran
Invincible active goo (well, at least invincible to swords) provides a different, but also neat, set of mechanics - it makes goo much more of a threat, but eliminates many if not most avenues for requiring the player to manipulate or clear it. Perhaps a goo mother's presence in the room would make active goo invincible; goo mother placement would be more similar to brain placement than tarstuff mother placement in this model.

Also, a clarification: all contiguous tiles of goo would be treated as a single entity and awakened at once whenever one tile is struck, which is what to my mind made it more a tarstuff than a 1x1 monster.

09-17-2010 at 11:48 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Love the idea... and to make things more interesting, all goo on a given level would interact - glider guns in 4N2W would affect all diagonally placed rooms towards the SE. There would then be goo plates dotted around the level which all need to be covered at the same time to open the blue doors. Beethro would just need to cut the gliders so as to form new guns, or stable variations of goo in order to trigger all said plates.

The mind boggles :)
09-18-2010 at 01:35 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518

File: Game of Life showcase.hold (57.9 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Gray goo (+3)  
Okay then, It may not be completely like Gray Goo, but here it is anyway.

Over the last 2 days, I've been working on a room template with scripts to emulate "Conway's Game of Life".

This version is anyone-edit, and anyone who wants to use this template may do so.

quick explanation: This hold features a room-wide "game of life" implementation, with the exception of room edges. The goo changes form every turn, and are invincible. They are, however, incapable of killing the player. Note that they also activate pressure plates.

How this works: The 16 NPC's on top gather have script priority, and gather information on the number of active NPC's around a single square. This information is then stored within 1080 different variables. After that, the Other NPC's will react on that information, and will then appear/dissappear/stay the same, depending on the value.

09-27-2010 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Timo006 wrote:Over the last 2 days, I've been working on a room template with scripts to emulate "Conway's Game of Life".
Neat. :)

09-27-2010 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran

File: Trait inheritance.hold (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
As much as I'd love to just spring this on you all unawares, I'm having trouble figuring out why my otherwise hopefully fully implemented Conways are being killed by Beethro's sword despite being basically wubbas. Anyone see anything in my script that would sneak this sort of trait in?

07-07-2014 at 12:44 AM
Someone Else
Interesting. It appears that NPCs which are created by "Generate Entity" will not take on the base properties of their type as long as they have commands to execute. Odd, but use "Imperative: Invulnerable", I would say.
07-07-2014 at 03:58 AM
Dischorran
Yeah, that's my working solution, but then they don't get blown up by bombs and stuff, which would be nice to have.

07-07-2014 at 04:25 AM
Ziki
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Game Crashing Put Lots Bombs this Area :?
Scripts has bug?
07-10-2014 at 08:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Gray goo (If we can have Sokoban, we can have this too.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com