Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : February revival contest - Copycat (Our Contest for Feburary)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged
icon February revival contest - Copycat (+5)  
Okay, so I had an idea to revivify the forum. Everyone who comes here and reads this - mark February 14th on your calendar. We'll have an architecture contest on the forum.

How it will work is this: each day I'll describe a DROD room in fairly specific sentences (if other people want to take a turn, they can). Then, each person will try and build that room to the best of their abilities. They will place the rooms in the locations specified, and submit a completed hold with all 7 rooms.
The contest will last 7 days, one room per day. The goal will be to make the best room that fits all the descriptions that are laid out.

The goal here is to have fun, and revive the forum. I'm placing the date so far in advance so that people who rarely visit the forum will (hopefully) see it and put the date on their calendar.

The contest starts in: negative 739 weeks, 5 days

Oh, and post here when you see this, to make us all feel happy at the number of DROD fans still around!

Feburary 14th
Feburary 15th
Feburary 16th
Feburary 17th
Feburary 18th
Feburary 19th
Feburary 20th

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-20-2010 12:18 AM]
12-22-2009 at 06:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: February revival contest - Copycat (0)  

I see you. :)
12-22-2009 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
A good idea...is this an official contest? Looks like not (not that that should stop anyone...)

Josh

12-22-2009 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Praise the lord and may everyone join in the revival.

I'll sure try to be there:)
12-22-2009 at 12:35 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Argh I've been trying for so long to make some decent drod rooms, but I keep failing. I guess my expectations of myself are just too high... -_-

Well, if I get one of my projects started or not, I'll definitely be joining this contest!

12-22-2009 at 03:23 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Eh, well I'm all out of contests, so if he wants to call it an official contest that's fine with me.
12-22-2009 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
But that's Valent--

oh I see what you did there.

12-22-2009 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I'll try to be there!
12-22-2009 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'll see what I can do. This seems like a nice small project to work on.

12-22-2009 at 09:24 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Great idea.

12-22-2009 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I'll join in! Nothing should stop people from trying to revive the forum.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-23-2009 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Cool! Sure, let's make this an official contest.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-23-2009 at 06:55 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
I should post here, since I saw this whenever it made itself happen. And the forums are barren.

12-23-2009 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
I will join. A challenge is good for me.

12-23-2009 at 09:21 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
:jumpy :wub :onei

These express my feeling!!! :thumbsup

I was so disappointed that there was no December contest.

[Last edited by techant at 12-30-2009 03:59 AM]
12-30-2009 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I haven't been in any contests yet, but this sounds like it could get interesting. I hope I'm not too busy then.

12-31-2009 at 12:25 AM
TheGreenPhantom
A question: Will we have to group up all seven rooms in one hold?

12-31-2009 at 01:10 AM
Someone Else
I'm not sure. I think it might be a bit much to ask people to judge each room separately, so it might work best grouping them together. That said, I'd appreciate suggestions about the voting.
12-31-2009 at 02:40 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
As far as grouping them together, maybe the contest setup includes a barebones blueprint of sorts. Each day corresponds to a specific room. Day 1 is the Entrance, day 2 is 1N, day 3 is 1S, day 4 is 1N1E, etc. At the end of day 7 contestants upload their finished holds to a submission thread.
12-31-2009 at 03:20 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
brian_s wrote:
As far as grouping them together, maybe the contest setup includes a barebones blueprint of sorts. Each day corresponds to a specific room. Day 1 is the Entrance, day 2 is 1N, day 3 is 1S, day 4 is 1N1E, etc. At the end of day 7 contestants upload their finished holds to a submission thread.
Yeah, I like this idea. It will make it instantly clear to the players which rooms they are playing.

12-31-2009 at 03:46 PM
Someone Else
Alright. I like that idea. It shall be so.
12-31-2009 at 04:45 PM
TheGreenPhantom
Someone Else wrote:

The winner will be the person who receives the most votes over all seven days.
You should remove that then.
Someone Else wrote:
Because this contest is supposed to revive the forum, submissions for each room will only be open for 24 hours.
And that. The reason: Because you are going to present it in one hold, there is no point to submit each room one at a time.
For the second one, the voting over seven days, for the same reason, it would be pointless to judge *each* room individually because they are all going to be made all into one hold.

12-31-2009 at 11:38 PM
techant
can i suggest that instead of rooms allow levels and let each day be a different level, ie. lv 1 lv 2 etc. That way our exit and entrances do not have to be the same. Unless that is part of the challenge.

01-11-2010 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
I will come back and do this contest... :)

01-24-2010 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Chaco is withdrawing from this contest (0)  
Hi,

As it turns out, I'm going to be going on vacation during the week of February 14th, at a resort in South Carolina. As a result, I will not be using any sort of computerized devices and I will have to withdraw from this contest.

I am still interested in seeing its results. :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-05-2010 11:25 PM]
02-05-2010 at 11:25 PM
Someone Else
icon Re: February revival contest - Copycat (+2)  
And the contest begins!

I've decided to write these as little 2 minute mysteries, to make it a little more fun to read. It also should give you a little more freedom in interpreting what I meant for you to do.

Beethro walked into the room. He glanced back as the door clanged shut behind him, but only for a moment. The goblin stepped out of the shadows, and Beethro readied his sword. Doing a quick survey of the room, Beethro noticed a greenish haze in some areas of the floor.
Beethro groaned. "Flaming fegundoes!" he exclaimed. "Isn't there anywhere that oremites haven't spread?" For Beethro knew that the greenish haze that covered many of the areas of the floor were in fact oremite colonies, clustering together in fairly large sections. In the background, he heard the hiss of a serpent, sliding along well-worn paths on the floor.
Beethro stood and thought for a moment. Then, he noticed that the goblin was standing nervously about 15 feet away. Unfortunately, there were no tunnels that he could use to get across the room, avoiding the oremites altogether. He figured that he had spent long enough looking around, and got to work on clearing the room.

How did Beethro managed to manipulate a goblin across the oremites?
This room is the Entrance room.

Note:
You can add anything that I didn't include, as long as I didn't exclude it. For example, there could be any number of orbs, roaches, or trapdoors in the room, but tunnels were expressly forbidden. However, you may not want to add too many other things, as people might think you're straying if you build this room around transporting tar across a pit, or something like that.

Map:
....[]....

These are the dates that you'll be building the rooms. This will also help you remember where to put exits. The [] is the room that will contain the stairs. There is no requirement that, for example, 2N connects to 2N1E. The rooms must be solvable, but not necessarily in the order built. However, you may find it easier to build it if they are.

Good luck!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-14-2010 05:42 AM]
02-13-2010 at 06:37 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Do the rooms have to be submitted individually, or is it just submitted at the end of the week?

EDIT: What if someone puts, in this room, an area that Beethro would not have been able to see, but does not contain oremites? Who decides if rooms meet the criteria?

[Last edited by coppro at 02-14-2010 12:51 AM]
02-14-2010 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Someone Else wrote:
And the contest begins soon!

.... INSTRUCTIONS .....

Good luck!

Does that mean we can get started or are we to wait for a gun to go off or some such thing, or are there more instructions?

(Earlybird gets the worm and all that stuff you know...Yikes I better watch out for that 'cat'.)

Also, as to the map layout can we have extra rooms that do noting but take you to the next days room or do we have to lay it out exactly that way? I noticed that you can't get from the 17 to 18 without going through another days room.

...I'm just so excited!!!....

Oh and how do you want our holds named? With our names or without?

[Last edited by techant at 02-14-2010 02:06 AM]
02-14-2010 at 01:51 AM
Someone Else
coppro wrote:
Do the rooms have to be submitted individually, or is it just submitted at the end of the week?
Submit it together at the end of the week.
EDIT: What if someone puts, in this room, an area that Beethro would not have been able to see, but does not contain oremites? Who decides if rooms meet the criteria?
For the purposes of this, assume that Beethro somehow has a birds-eye view of the room. The people voting will judge if it meets the criteria. Therefore, you don't have to follow it exactly (Beethro said "Isn't there anywhere that oremites haven't spread?" but that might have been exaggeration on his part, or simple frustration with oremites.)
techant wrote:
Does that mean we can get started or are we to wait for a gun to go off or some such thing, or are there more instructions?
It was in an unhidetime tag. I'll make that clearer.
Also, as to the map layout can we have extra rooms that do noting but take you to the next days room or do we have to lay it out exactly that way? I noticed that you can't get from the 17 to 18 without going through another days room.
The reason that the rooms are laid out is to keep people from being confused which day they're doing when they enter a room. I guess you can have extra rooms, but don't change where any of the puzzle rooms are (i.e. you can have rooms outside the area, but not in between). However, I think it'll be better if you don't.
Oh and how do you want our holds named? With our names or without?
Name them however you want, as long as it's clear whose it is and that it's for this contest.
02-14-2010 at 05:49 AM
techant
Ok as I got started I realized that some of us may need a bypass or a way to see all the rooms without solving them all. Some may be just too hard for some of us :blush

I have three ideas tell me which one you think is best...

1. A partial green door so you can move on without solving the room. Problem is you can then come in the room from a different direction which may affect the rooms puzzle.

2. Have a way to get to a master room which holds entrances for all the rooms. Problem is it may not fit the storyline so an exception needs to be made.

3. Require all the holds to be set to edit "anyone".

02-14-2010 at 09:58 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : February revival contest - Copycat (Our Contest for Feburary)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com