Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : February revival contest - Copycat (Our Contest for Feburary)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
IP: Logged
icon Re: February revival contest - Copycat (0)  
Posting simply because I didn't do so originally when everyone was chipping in.

Have done room 1.

02-14-2010 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Also entering with the first room constructed. Also, anyone-edit is what I was planning on. Including a set of demos could be another alternative.
02-14-2010 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Yeah, I think anyone-edit would be best.
02-14-2010 at 11:55 PM
Someone Else
icon Re: February revival contest - Copycat (+2)  
Beethro wiped a stray oremite off his leg. Somehow, they seemed to get into everything, even if there wasn't metal. Fortunately, a single oremite was easy enough to get rid of, and didn't do any serious damage very fast.
It didn't look as if there were going to be any more oremites any time soon. The room that Beethro had just entered would be better named a cavern. Beethro peered into the darkness, but was unsure whether any wraithwings roosted nearby. Relieved that he wouldn't be attacked by a flock of the beastly things, as he would have seen some if there were a lot, he set about studying the room, but his mind kept wandering. Why don't they call a group of wraithwings a murder, he thought, like those mythical crow things. They're definitely murderous enough.
Set along the edge of the drop was an orb, and it looked as if it were broken, but maybe it was still partially functional. Beethro drew his sword in case there were any hydraulics around. Beethro jumped a little when he saw some sort of tarstuff oozing its way across the floor, but he wasn't sure exactly which. Like many smitemasters, tar was one of his least favourite substances.
Fortunately for Beethro, it didn't seem to matter which kind of tarstuff it was, as right at the entrance to the room was a complete set of tarstuff switchers - but it looked as if he could choose one now, but only change his mind once in the future.
Beethro studied the pattern of the tar, and decided which was the way to go, and exactly where he'd need to change.

Which tarstuff does Beethro decide that he needs immediately? And how did he know when to switch?
This room is 1N.

Map:
....[]....

These are the dates that you'll be building the rooms. This will also help you remember where to put exits. The [] is the room that will contain the stairs. There is no requirement that, for example, 2N connects to 2N1E. The rooms must be solvable, but not necessarily in the order built. However, you may find it easier to build it if they are.

Good luck!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-15-2010 12:36 AM]
02-15-2010 at 12:36 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: February revival contest - Copycat (+1)  
2 rooms constructed, bring 'em on!!
02-15-2010 at 11:55 PM
Jacob
This is going to be good - both Larrymurk and Doom building levels.

Good room ideas so far. (Though I've not really used the orb in this room).

Have also done 2, but am worried I'll fall behind since am busy the next 2 nights.

Do we get a day's grace at the end to polish off the hold/catch up. Or does the hold have to be submitted at the end of day 7?

02-16-2010 at 12:10 AM
Someone Else
icon Re: February revival contest - Copycat (+3)  
Yeah, I'll give you a day's grace. That seems fair.

Beethro walked into what looked like a laboratory. There were mimic potions, clone potions, decoy potions, but no monsters. After a few moments of fruitlessly searching for something to kill, he realized one important truth: the laboratory was much smaller than most dungeon rooms. There was probably a lot of room for monsters in other places nearby. Right after Beethro figured this out, he found a green door, which was as close to confirmation as he was going to get.
There was also several fuses sticking through the wall. To get to each of the potions, Beethro would have to light one of the fuses. However, each fuse had some inconvenient side effects, such as blowing up a bomb which closed a door.
Beethro immediately got to work. It was obvious which fuses he needed to avoid.

How does Beethro know which fuses he needs to avoid?
This room is 1N1W.

Map:
....[]....

Good luck!
02-16-2010 at 02:33 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
This is fun I am having a great time, thanks for the 1 day of grace at the end.

02-16-2010 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

I am sorry guys!

I know I said I would join the contest and, although I would love to, I am way too busy these days to participate in the contest.
02-16-2010 at 07:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
One and a half room done. I got a bit of a slow start, but I think I'll manage. :)

02-16-2010 at 01:04 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Third one done. I've noticed that I'm slower builder than I remembered. But so far looking good :)
02-16-2010 at 02:09 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I've done two and a half at this point, but the first one is trash, so I might retry it. I'm quite happy with my second and third so far, though. This is tougher than I expected, but I'm reasonably confident nonetheless. The room descriptions are more specific than I expected.

02-16-2010 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Bombadil wrote:

I am sorry guys!

I know I said I would join the contest and, although I would love to, I am way too busy these days to participate in the contest.
^^' Same here.

02-16-2010 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Dang, having a deadline for every room is hard but fun. One and a half rooms done. Still worrying about execution of room ideas.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
02-16-2010 at 09:34 PM
Rheb
Aaaand second room done! :)

I really hope we'll see many new architects in this competition too. It seems like a great opportunity to get started if you haven't really been sure of what to build before.

02-16-2010 at 10:14 PM
Someone Else
Beethro shook his head. The effect of drinking so many potions isn't one that Beethro relished. As he walked on, he realized how eerily quiet the room ahead was. When Beethro entered the room, it looked like he had entered a forest underground. Everything was green, there was life growing everywhere. Many people might have felt tranquil entering surroundings such as that, but not Beethro. Many nasty spikes, nearly as long as his sword, protruded from the plants all around, almost disguised.
Holding his sword out in front of himself, he warily stepped forward. The only creature in the room was a fegundo, sleeping. A conquer token lay behind an open yellow door, and there was an orb that could toggle the door. Beethro could see that there was no time to get to the conquer token before the briar destroyed it. He looked around in desparation, but couldn't figure out how to get there in time.

What is Beethro missing?
This room is 2N1W.

Map:
....[]....

Good luck!

Note:
The thing that Beethro is missing can be anything that you can think of that would work.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-16-2010 11:29 PM]
02-16-2010 at 11:23 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
And no sooner was it described then 4 rooms had been created..
02-17-2010 at 06:31 PM
Penwielder
...Meaning, I suppose, that a room meeting most of the qualifications already existed in one of your holds in progress, eh? ;)

I'm done with three now, not counting the first one, which I'm redoing. I'm really happy with this last one.

02-17-2010 at 11:13 PM
Jacob
5 Rooms done!

Just kidding. Done the first 4.

Seem to be 6 people competing, anyone else?

02-18-2010 at 12:16 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I'm going to have to bow out. I just have too much to do this week. If this was one week earlier, I would still be in it. Also, I love the stories describing each room. Much more entertaining than just a list of requirements.
02-18-2010 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Beethro, who had to backtrack because the last room he cleared turned out to be a dead end, walked into the next uncleared room that he could find. He stopped right on the threshold to the room and stared at the astonishing sight before his eyes, so different from most of the dungeons that he had ever seen. It was incredibly misty.
After a few moments, he began to be able to see through the mist and make out more features of the room. The room was filled with water, and on that water was a few waterskipper nests. Covering the rest of the room was hot tiles. This unusual combination would have been fairly simple to defeat, except for one thing: There was no place to turn his sword. Try it anywhere, and he'd be burned in seconds.

Which direction did Beethro have to face in order to clear the room?
This room is 1N1E.

Map:
....[]....

Good luck!

Also, sorry for the late post.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-18-2010 01:52 AM]
02-18-2010 at 01:52 AM
techant
That newest one means I have to rethink my last room, yikes....

Also, I've counted 8 entrants so far:
larrymurk
Jacob
techant
Rheb
Doom
Penwielder
TheGreenPhantom
12th Archivist

Very exciting...
This is very fast paced and I feel I am falling behind.

[Last edited by techant at 02-18-2010 06:00 AM]
02-18-2010 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
No, it doesn't have to be a dead end. Sorry about that. It just makes the story flow better. I should have been more clear.
02-18-2010 at 06:21 AM
techant
Someone Else wrote:
No, it doesn't have to be a dead end. Sorry about that. It just makes the story flow better. I should have been more clear.

OK that makes it better thanks... :cool

02-18-2010 at 06:26 AM
Penwielder
TheGreenPhantom said further up on this page that he's too busy, so that makes seven.

#5 sounds like a tougher one to make original, but I'm ready to give it a try. I've finally got a grip on the very first one, though, so--US testing aside--I'm up to speed.

EDIT: My fifth room has a longer entrance, in which you can choose a direction without exiting the room (and to connect it better to 1N). You don't mind that, do you?

[Last edited by Penwielder at 02-18-2010 03:13 PM]
02-18-2010 at 01:55 PM
Rheb
I like the description of the fifth one! ;)

[Last edited by Rheb at 02-18-2010 04:11 PM]
02-18-2010 at 04:10 PM
Someone Else
Upon entering the following room, Beethro stepped across a tile and the space in front of him lit up, allowing him to see where the evil eyes in the room were looking. There were a lot of evil eyes. At the far end of the room was two pressure plate, and both of them needed to be depressed to allow him access to the evil eyes. Unfortunately, if he happened to wake up any of the evil eyes, he would be unable to kill them. This would not normally be a problem, as Beethro had conquered rooms like this before. However, he had to take a mirror from beside him across to the other end of the room, and behind many of the evil eyes were decoys, which would cause the eyes to wake if a mirror were shoved in their path of sight.
What Beethro didn't notice at first was that there was another type of monster in the room, one which would make the room much more difficult to complete.

What monster did Beethro not notice at first?
This room is 2N1E.

Map:
....[]....

Good luck!

Didn't want to be late again today.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-18-2010 07:27 PM]
02-18-2010 at 07:26 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
I'm scrambling to do this, but I've only done one room... If only we had another two or three days... I might have to bow out, but I'm not giving up yet.

02-18-2010 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Someone Else wrote:
...and behind many of the evil eyes were decoys, which would cause the eyes to wake if a mirror were shoved in their path of sight.

I have never experienced this behavior can some one tell me how it works in more detail. I tried to get it to work but I do not seem to be able too. :blush

02-19-2010 at 12:45 AM
Jacob
Mirrors reflect eyes' gazes.
So if there is a mirror in front of an eye, and you are behind the eye, the eye will see you and wake up.

This also works if it is a decoy behind the eye, and not Beethro, which is what is described here.

So basically, if you push a mirror into an eye's line of sight, and there's a decoy behind the eye, the eye will wake up.

[Last edited by Jacob at 02-19-2010 05:43 PM]
02-19-2010 at 12:48 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : February revival contest - Copycat (Our Contest for Feburary)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com