Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : One Step Ahead (A very small Hold with only one monster... and it's chasing you.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
IP: Logged

File: One Step Ahead.hold (7.7 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon One Step Ahead (+3)  
Hi everyone!

I'm officially sort-of-probably-back-for-the-Summer-at-least, and before resuming any of my big ambitious previous projects, I've made this small Hold to ease myself back into the whole Architecture thing.

It's a one-level linear Hold with 9 rooms, 7 of which are puzzles. They get progressively more difficult and are (with the exception of the first one) focused on the idea of getting more than one step ahead of the Goblin that's following you. You yourself are an unarmed Stalwart character.

Enough of that, please download and enjoy! :) All feedback is of course welcome, but most of all, if anyone can find a way of killing the Goblin and still completing the Hold I'd love to know. Thanks!

Oh, one last thing. This Hold is completely un-highscorable, because obviously you can't kill the one monster. Sorry Syntax!

Update (22/7):
-Fixed spelling errors.
-Fixed 1E unintended solution(s).

Update Again (22/7):
-Properly fixed 1E unintended solution(s).

Update (26/7):
-Fixed a couple of spellings.
-Fixed opportunity to kill goblin in 1N2E.
-Added a Conquer Token to 2N2E.

Update (3/8):
-Replaced the tedious 1N3E room.

Update (6/8):
-Added scrolls thanking y'all.
-Pretteyed it all up a bit.

Update (7/8):
-(Hopefully) fixed the scrolls.

Final (?) Update (7/8):
-Fixed a typo on one of the scrolls.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 08-07-2009 09:45 PM]
07-21-2009 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: One Step Ahead (+1)  
Played up to 1E, and really liking the idea. First few rooms are fun.
But it's possible to kill the monster in 1E and then just use the platform to get to the exit, skipping the bombs, pressure plates etc etc.

Edit: Also, to be pedantic, stalwarts aren't part of the Empire.

[Last edited by Jacob at 07-21-2009 06:16 PM]
07-21-2009 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
icon Re: One Step Ahead (0)  
Jacob wrote:
Played up to 1E, and really liking the idea. First few rooms are fun.
But it's possible to kill the monster in 1E and then just use the platform to get to the exit, skipping the bombs, pressure plates etc etc.

Eek! Fixed for the next update (not quite big enough to merit its own update methinks) :)

Edit: Also, to be pedantic, stalwarts aren't part of the Empire.

Well, the character's actually 33rd Pipe Maintainence Advisor but it *looks* like a Stalwart to prevent ugly Power Tokens on every room entrance ;)

07-21-2009 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
This looks interesting to say the least, I might take a look at it in the future. :) One recommendation though, if I were you I would add a last room in which it is possible to kill the goblin. This would at least give the hold 1 high-scorable room, and I think everyone who cares about high-scores would appreciate that.
07-21-2009 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hartleyhair
mxvladi wrote:
More about highscores, I've played some rooms, and most of them are optimisable. Rooms can easily be made highsorable by adding conquer token in the end of them. Why not do that? :unsure

Because activating a Conquer Token isn't enough to conquer the room - you need to kill all the monsters as well, which clearly isn't possible in this Hold.

07-21-2009 at 08:15 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
If you make a new character that is based on Beethro or a Stalwart, and use your own pictures, then you can make it not look like a stalwart and avoid the power token thing.
07-21-2009 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
In the hold description, intro, etc.: "maintenance", not "maintainance".

Description: "renovation", one n.

1E: I eventually figured out what to do, but first I broke it in a few ways:

Click here to view the secret text

I assume I did 3E right, or at least something that counts as right; it look a little wandering to get the goblin to give me the leeway I needed.

I'm currently stalled in 1N3E, where I'm finishing up a masters' thesis entitled "On New and Exciting Ways to Kill Yourself With a Mimic, Two Bombs, and Oremites"; I've got a chapter on hitting the bombs and a chapter on stabbing myself in the back, but I think the committee wants me to add a chapter on surviving, which is where I'm stuck.
07-22-2009 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Done.

The idea of hold is clever. I want to see more such puzzles! :)

Comments on puzzles:

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-22-2009 04:15 PM]
07-22-2009 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Didn't complete the briar room yet, but a few notes.

1E still seems too easy. The goblin will let you past the doors and pressure plates as long as it's alive. No need for any tricks with the closing door or anything.

A minor note, 3E doesn't need the speed potions. I needed the upper passage once though, to push the last mirror into place.

[Last edited by Doom at 07-23-2009 09:42 AM : oops]
07-22-2009 at 07:02 PM
hartleyhair
Doom wrote:

1E still seems too easy. The goblin will let you past the doors and pressure plates as long as it's alive. No need for any tricks with the closing door or anything.
Really? How? You need the Goblin to be two steps behind you so he opens the door - don't you?

A minor note, 3E doesn't need the speed potions. I needed the upper passage once though, to push the last mirror into place.
Seriously?

...I think I'll leave it there nonetheless. Don't want to make it more painful than it needs to be. Also I like to be able to solve my own rooms (I did solve the mimic room once - just *can't remember how*...)

Oh, also, a small note to all - obviously as rooms aren't conquered demos won't be recorded by default so if you want to record a demo make sure you hit F4 on your way out!

07-22-2009 at 08:16 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I really like this hold, but I have no idea how to and where lcok the goblin in 1N2E (I got the 1N3E by an accident). Any hints would be appreciated.
Oh and yes, I can confirm 3E is completable without Speed Potions. Very much like Doom, I only had to use the passage to put the (if I recall correctly) lower-left mirror onto the plate (thank goodness for the Advanced Concepts)

07-22-2009 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Could someone show me how to do 3E? Can't do it with or without speed potions.

Incidentally, a hold where the only monster is a goblin is inspired. ;)

07-23-2009 at 12:08 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
hartleyhair wrote:
Doom wrote:

Really? How? You need the Goblin to be two steps behind you so he opens the door - don't you?
Nevermind, I made a mistake and didn't play the room correctly (used the editor a bit to replay some parts of the hold)
07-23-2009 at 05:52 AM
hartleyhair

File: OSA Somewhere 1N2E Conquered-ish.demo (958 bytes)
Downloaded 65 times.
skell wrote:
I really like this hold, but I have no idea how to and where lcok the goblin in 1N2E (I got the 1N3E by an accident). Any hints would be appreciated.

This room's a bit of a work-out-what-on-Earth-I'm-meant-to-be-doing-here puzzle. Some hints:

If all else should fail, demo is attached.

Jacob wrote: Could someone show me how to do 3E? Can't do it with or without speed potions.

Not quite sure how to give hints for this one.

Did that help at all? I'll provide a demo if you ask nicely :)

Incidentally, a hold where the only monster is a goblin is inspired. ;)

Hehe. :P

07-23-2009 at 09:32 AM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
i really dont like this hold its wired and a stalwhat is not in the empire i really like your RPG one thats way much more better i dont mean to ne rude but i really like your RPG hold in sorry but i coudent exsplane it in ant ather way im sorry
07-23-2009 at 10:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Thanks, the beginning of the demo helped.

The ending was funny :). Overall nice hold, I would give it 9 for fun and 5 for difficulty.
I think it could use some more graphical tweaking though - some plants on water, lone islands, stone here or there etc.

07-23-2009 at 12:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
skell wrote:
Thanks, the beginning of the demo helped.

Glad to be of service :)

The ending was funny :).
Hehe. I like to think that the protagonist isn't aware each time the player gets him killed by the goblin - after all, hit undo and nothing happened, right? ;)

I think it could use some more graphical tweaking though - some plants on water, lone islands, stone here or there etc.
:-O Good plan, hadn't thought of that... shall work on it.

07-23-2009 at 12:47 PM
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
Ok I beat the hold

8.5 for fun and 6 brains

Joke: When does a citizen feel sorry for a goblin, or more specifically a pipe maintainer/cleaner?
07-23-2009 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Neat hold! I don't have much to add to the prior comments. I'm no longer able to break 1E, which is good. In 3E, it's fairly straightforward to solve the room with multiple trips through the corridor in the upper left even if I edit the hold to remove the speed potions entirely. I'm also stuck on 1N3E, which seems to be a common theme, with those who solve it mostly doing so by random flailing, which could be a problem.

07-24-2009 at 11:00 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Small problem in 1N2E: if you're willing to wait for a bit once you and the goblin have been separated onto your paths, you can get the briar to kill him by walking back to the start of the paths--the briar will reach him at his open door before it can reach you at your closed door. Having his pressure plate close the door at (19,10) and one at (23,15) should, I think, fix that without changing the actual solution.

Scripting error in the last room: if you enter, the goblin enters with you; if you then step immediately south (and it'd be nice if the goblin appeared on *his* island opposite yours, when you do) and then north, the goblin has magically transported to his final spot.

Also: "thank you", two words, in the last room. Also also: I think the last room, since it never does have a goblin monster, could indeed have a conquer token near the stairs. Poor mxvladi won't have anything to optimize, but at least it makes it possible to track who's made it out of the hold.
07-26-2009 at 07:03 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I don't have much to add to all the comments already here. I like the hold, and the ending text is priceless. :)

1N2E - "famly" should be "family"

1N3E - I found this room the most difficult in the hold, and needed some hints from Tahnan in chat. One thing that sets this room apart from the others is all its "distractors". In the other rooms, all the given elements are useful in some way or other. However, in this room, the hardest part is figuring out which obstacles to use.

Also, I'm a big supporter of Tahnan's idea to put a conquer token in 2N2E. (Holds with no scorable rooms at all, like Deja Vu and RPG 3.0, sit on people's unexplored lists forever.)
07-26-2009 at 07:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Update! Fixed 1N1E, added a Conquer Token to the last room, and fixed a couple of spelling errors.

Tahnan wrote:
Scripting error in the last room: if you enter, the goblin enters with you; if you then step immediately south (and it'd be nice if the goblin appeared on *his* island opposite yours, when you do) and then north, the goblin has magically transported to his final spot.

Intentional - once you're separated, the goblin gives up on following you and just heads for the end of his path. So, if you go to 2N2E and then exit south, by the time you get back to 2N2E the goblin will have made his way to his little wooden island.

07-26-2009 at 06:54 PM
slimm tom
I would like some directions on 1N 3E, please.

Comments so far:

07-26-2009 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
slimm tom wrote:
I would like some directions on 1N 3E, please.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-27-2009 05:06 PM]
07-27-2009 at 05:06 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This is a good idea for a hold. The first room was a good idea and the technique for solving it was fun. The second one (1N 1E) stumped me. I would play Advanced Concepts to learn goblin movement if that didn't stump me as well. And I refuse to ask for hints.

Overall, good hold and nice atheistic effects.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-27-2009 at 05:17 PM
slimm tom
Final comments:

07-27-2009 at 06:20 PM
hartleyhair
(delayed) update! I've replaced the unpopular 1N3E room with a new one, with more crumbly walls and less trial & error.

08-03-2009 at 02:39 PM
skell

File: OSA Somewhere 1N3E.demo (772 bytes)
Downloaded 53 times.
hartleyhair wrote:
(delayed) update! I've replaced the unpopular 1N3E room with a new one, with more crumbly walls and less trial & error.
You can now kill the goblin with the mimic in a pretty obvious way and still leave the room (check the attached demo). I liked the new version of the room with platform (I haven't played the fixed one before)!

EDIT: You can also block the Goblin with a mimic :).

[Last edited by skell at 08-03-2009 03:00 PM]
08-03-2009 at 02:59 PM
hartleyhair
skell wrote:
You can now kill the goblin with the mimic in a pretty obvious way and still leave the room (check the attached demo).

Whoops! Fixed.

08-03-2009 at 03:50 PM
slimm tom
The new version of the room looks good to me. I like it a lot more than the previous one.
08-03-2009 at 05:22 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : One Step Ahead (A very small Hold with only one monster... and it's chasing you.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com