Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Orbs toogle force arrows on/off
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Orbs toogle force arrows on/off (+1)  
Well,we have rotators,dont we?
11-11-2007 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Orbs toogle force arrows on/off (0)  
To show you a little flaw with it, think of this:

We can place a Light fixture and then an open yellow door under it. If you link an orb to the square with both the light and the door, only the light will toggle. That's perfectly okay; if you want to be able to toggle the door, just link the orb to a tile without a Light. And if the door is only 1x1 (meaning you can't toggle the door at all), well then that's stupid, because the Light is an obstacle to all, so the door's state doesn't matter anyways in that case.

But I can see many applications of an arrow on a 1x1 door. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to toggle the door.

In other words, no because it conflicts.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 11-11-2007 11:11 PM]
11-11-2007 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Orbs toogle force arrows on/off (+1)  
Serious? You're dismissing the idea just because the UI isn't already set up to support it?

11-12-2007 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
The game implementation has the same problem, that orbs currently point at coordinates, not objects on a specific layer. But that just means it's harder to implement, not that it's not a good idea.

But UI issues do figure into how good an idea it is. So I'd agree; the UI issues for the editor and in-game orb-clicking would need good answers first.
11-12-2007 at 05:43 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Simple solution to the force arrow on 1 by 1 door problem: Door takes priority. ;)

11-12-2007 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Sillyman wrote:
Simple solution to the force arrow on 1 by 1 door problem: Door takes priority. ;)
Or all layers are triggered. Could make some interesting door vs toggleable force arrow puzzles...
11-13-2007 at 12:28 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Syntax wrote:
Or all layers are triggered. Could make some interesting door vs toggleable force arrow puzzles...
Backward compatibility would present a problem.

11-13-2007 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I didn't realise there had ever been 2 toggleable objects via the same orb on different layers sharing the same coordinates before...
11-13-2007 at 12:44 AM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I think what's being referred to is that if there is a room with an arrow on top of a door, and an orb targets that specific square, causing the orb to toggle the arrow as well could grossly change the room. If doors take priority over arrows, this is not a problem.
11-13-2007 at 12:59 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Just for reference, the reason why this issue doesn't exist in Wonderquest is because it doesn't allow doors and arrows on the same tile. Nevertheless, the concept of switching arrows on and off has shown its potential in Wonderquest, and I think it could definitely work in DROD (it isn't too unique of a feature of Wonderquest that it would mean too many similarities between the games, compared to some of Wonderquest's other features). One question-should inactive arrows be affected by rotators?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 11-13-2007 07:38 PM]
11-13-2007 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I would say yes. Using orbs and a token together to allow an arrow to turn 360 degrees is interesting, but will break more potential puzzles than it will create.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 11-13-2007 06:00 AM]
11-13-2007 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
Due to the UI and backwards compatibility issues mentioned, I think that this would best be executed via token.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
11-13-2007 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
That is a very elegant way of implementing this.
11-13-2007 at 07:25 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
So how are disabled arrows shown? Simply hiding them completely doesn't seem right, considering the motto of not hiding information from the player. Transparency might not work too well either when there's already arrow/floor combinations where arrows are hard to make out.

And I guess this would also mean that it'd have to be possible to place disabled arrows that can be activated in the editor.

11-13-2007 at 08:29 AM
zonhin
A different color would work great for distinguishing activated and unactivated arrows.

11-13-2007 at 08:52 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I suppose I'd better bring this up before anyone else does, but using a different color won't work so well for colorblind players. Also, it requires people to remember which color is "on" and which color is "off".

Possibly some sort of texture or style change for the arrows would work better.

11-13-2007 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
When I say color, I dont mean like red to green.
I mean something closer to going from white to black.

[Last edited by zonhin at 11-13-2007 11:23 AM]
11-13-2007 at 11:22 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I forget if there's a style where arrows aren't filled in...but maybe disabled arrows could just be outlines, while enabled arrows are...filled in.

11-13-2007 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
In case anyone doesn't realize this [edit: or I haven't read the thread completely], Wonderquest has this feature implemented. Why not see how this issue is dealt with in its level editor?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-13-2007 06:27 PM]
11-13-2007 at 05:01 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
Noah already covered that, Mike. Arrows and Doors aren't allowed on the same tile in Wonderquest.
11-13-2007 at 06:25 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
zex20913 wrote:
I forget if there's a style where arrows aren't filled in...but maybe disabled arrows could just be outlines, while enabled arrows are...filled in.
Sanctum 2 and Volcano do IIRC, as does at least one of the styles I've started (too lazy to see if there's more that do).
11-14-2007 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Maybe DROD should bring up a window in which player could select what the orb must affect?

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 11-14-2007 08:29 AM]
11-14-2007 at 08:27 AM
13th Slayer
Briareos wrote:
So how are disabled arrows shown? Simply hiding them completely doesn't seem right, considering the motto of not hiding information from the player. Transparency might not work too well either when there's already arrow/floor combinations where arrows are hard to make out.

And I guess this would also mean that it'd have to be possible to place disabled arrows that can be activated in the editor.
Maybe they shall be difrent colored?
11-14-2007 at 08:28 AM
13th Slayer
mrimer wrote:
In case anyone doesn't realize this [edit: or I haven't read the thread completely], Wonderquest has this feature implemented. Why not see how this issue is dealt with in its level editor?
Wonderquest? You want to say that i stole the idea?
11-14-2007 at 08:31 AM
Anson
Rank Points: 67
icon Re: Orbs toogle force arrows on/off (-1)  
Were not Saying that we hate you or something.
I used to act like this, i just didn't understand i was lacking attention.
So i got their attention and argued for a bad reason, they told me and i understand, you should read CAREFULLY of what they say.
If you see it as another way, but not a way we see it, Thats Okay.
But if you blame us for it, no.

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

11-14-2007 at 09:32 AM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
All these threads about toggling arrows with orbs etc. can be closed, as this can be done in 5.0.
07-22-2014 at 01:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Orbs toogle force arrows on/off
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com