Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? ([rant])
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
IP: Logged
icon Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? (0)  
So after several years of having more or less forgotten about DROD, I noticed the newest iteration on IndieGameStand. Hmm! I thought, I do indeed recall those being very enjoyable puzzle games, and see no reason not purchase another! And now today I've kicked it off my backlog of games and put an hour or so into the main hold. Here is a list of what I've already encountered:
- Running back and forth across empty rooms. You are not Skyrim, atmosphere is not shall we say your selling point.
- Seemingly unending tutorials. This, after having very carefully not picked the 'Play Tutorial' menu option. What is even under the tutorial. How to bring up the text help file? I'm afraid to look.
- Tedious, unoriginal pixel hunts. I'm sorry, secret rooms.
- A room reliant entirely on trial and error from unexplained scripting. Wasn't this in your own level building advice? Years ago?
- Repetitious guard killing. Repetitious guard killing. Repetitious I GET IT HOW TO KILL THEM OKAY.
- That same annoying background music. Yeah okay cheap shot, this is pretty irrelevant. It does draw attention to the UI being entirely unchanged though, and it's not like there isn't still room for improvement there. I mean there's no reason not to present the player with the exact same information when they click on a door as when they
- A combo counter. What. Why.

Here is a list of what I've not yet encountered:
- Puzzles.

:|

Alternatively, can anybody recommend me a good user hold that includes the new elements from GatEB?
04-18-2013 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
icon Re: Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? (+2)  
I'll address the issues from my point of view:

> Running back and forth across empty rooms. You are not Skyrim, atmosphere is not shall we say your selling point.
I don't remember there being that much of running around, that might've been because I've done all the levels one by one, clearly remembering where I haven't yet been. I can see it being an issue for some though.

> Seemingly unending tutorials. This, after having very carefully not picked the 'Play Tutorial' menu option.
Heck, it must've been long since I've played but I don't remember there being endless tutorials. Care to elaborate?

> Tedious, unoriginal pixel hunts. I'm sorry, secret rooms.
This is not limited to GatEB or even official holds, it's an issue with most of the user-made holds. I do agree it might not be very fun, but the secrets are completely optional which is at least a plus.

> A room reliant entirely on trial and error from unexplained scripting. Wasn't this in your own level building advice? Years ago?
Can you tell us which room exactly? The one with citizen stopping at flowers?

> Repetitious guard killing. Repetitious guard killing.
I don't recall such an issue either, maybe you should put your thoughts in the context of the fact that GatEB was meant to be an easier installment?

> That same annoying background music. Yeah okay cheap shot, this is pretty irrelevant. It does draw attention to the UI being entirely unchanged though
I enjoyed the music but yea, UI hasn't changed a lot in the past years.

> A combo counter. What. Why.
For the same reason as speech, for the lulz :).

> Here is a list of what I've not yet encountered:
> - Puzzles.

How far did you get in the game? I recall there being quite a lot of puzzles, some harder, most easy-to-medium but they were there.

I'd recommend you Giant Jewel Lost but it's a TCB hold so no GatEB content :).

04-18-2013 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 255
icon Re: Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? (+1)  
Also you should download Flood Warning, as it has more harder puzzles involving shallow water. :)
04-18-2013 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 616
- Running back and forth across empty rooms.
There is a slight bit of travelling throughout the hold, however, it definately was not running back and forth through endless rooms. If anything, the layout makes the games seem more of an adventure and less of level after level.

- Seemingly unending tutorials.
This, after having very carefully not picked the 'Play Tutorial' menu option. GatEB is more of a beginner hold, you can press the space bar to skip any text.

- Tedious, unoriginal pixel hunts.
These are meant to be hard to find, note the word 'secret', and, as skell said, they are optional, if you really wanted to, you could skip every single one.

- A room reliant entirely on trial and error from unexplained scripting.
I don't remember any rooms like this. It would, as skell said, help if you elaborate.

- Repetitious guard killing.
The first guard level introduces the guard mechanic, but there are also a few puzzles involving guards, not just 'repetitious guard killing' it sounds like you've only played a few of those rooms. And there are guards later on the game also, as it is a main aspect of the story, but nearly all of the rooms are puzzles.

Here is a list of what I've not yet encountered:
- Puzzles.
How much of the game did you play? One room?

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 04-18-2013 04:46 PM]
04-18-2013 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
As The Architest said, Flood Warning is a good quality GatEB hold, you should check it out.

That being said, your rant is very harsh, but I can definitely see where your criticism is coming from. All the points you raised I have felt in one way or another (with the exception of the music, which I loved). GatEB wasn't really a game for me. Even if I had been new to DROD, I don't think GatEB would have gotten me into DROD, at least not in the incredible sense my early DROD experiences did (JtRH, Simon's Dungeon, Vere's Dungeon and A Quiet Place).

For me, I think DROD has move a bit too far away from what it originally was. This doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to TSS though, I'll always keep my hopes up.

04-18-2013 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
Rheb wrote:
I think DROD has move a bit too far away from what it originally was. This doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to TSS though, I'll always keep my hopes up.
DROD is definitely moving from what it originally was, but I hope that's a good thing, overall. However, it sounds like to you this is a negative thing. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on what is bad about the direction you feel DROD has moved in.

We are working hard to make sure that TSS does not disappoint.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-18-2013 at 06:34 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 616
icon Re: Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Rheb wrote:
I think DROD has move a bit too far away from what it originally was. This doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to TSS though, I'll always keep my hopes up.
DROD is definitely moving from what it originally was, but I hope that's a good thing, overall. However, it sounds like to you this is a negative thing. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on what is bad about the direction you feel DROD has moved in.

We are working hard to make sure that TSS does not disappoint.

Although I agree with Rheb (and you) that DROD is definately moving away from what it originally was, I certainly don't think it is a bad thing - Caravel is doing a fine job of evolving DROD into a puzzle machine (and I mean that in a good way).

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 04-18-2013 08:30 PM]
04-18-2013 at 07:40 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
I'm with navithmaestro. I started playing DROD in AE, and upon finding the forum here I upgraded to JTRH. I'm not going to say that everything about the new games has been my favourite, but let's go over the most common complaints (AFAIK) about DROD:

Serpent manipulation
Too much tar(stuff)
Wraithwings

The criticism of tarstuff and wraithwings is usually due to poor architecture, and avoided if you don't like that kind of thing. Also, while I think wraithwings are unpredictable in groups, but they're definitely one of the more interesting and unique elements when there are <= 3 of them.
The criticism of serpents is due to *coughlarrymurkcough* the complexity of manipulating them and how well some people build rooms for that, not the underlying mechanics.

All of these have been there from the start, and it reflects well on Caravel that the newer elements (water skippers, briar, platforms, golems, etc.) have been accepted. If DROD is moving away from what it once was, well, I'd say that it's moving toward something better.

As to OneMoreNameless' original comments, I have this to say: the empty rooms comment is justified - there was a lot, even moving directly from one area to another.
The rest (and comments made by others) seem to be about the lack of difficulty in the early sections of the hold (excluding the music, which I still think is great and is really easy to mute, the fact that there's no way to get to the settings for that in game notwithstanding :P). For the most part, we seem to have difficulty building easy holds that are still fun to play (see chart in secret). Even ignoring the outliers, there is a clear progression of the average as we get harder.

I don't have a solution for this, and I don't think anyone else does, either. But it's good to consider! Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, Mr. Imer. I think you're doing a great job.

04-18-2013 at 09:11 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
the most common complaints (AFAIK) about DROD:
Builders... I think the common thread for all the elements mentioned is the chaotic (though still deterministic), and therefore practically (if not theoretically) unpredictable emergent behavior which leads to solutions which require very specific moves and are therefore achievable only with a lot of trial and error rather than solid technique.

That was more of a mouthful than I initially planned.

I'd also add Slayer, Neather, and Briar to my list of, not so much dislikes, as least liked elements since they break the core idea of kill-everything and leave (yes, Slayers are kill-able, but not on purpose).

In answer to the original poster's complaints, I think GatEB is probably my least favorite release. That's not to say it's terrible, just that I was more impressed with JtRH and TCB (and of course AE was what hooked me originally, so there's a romantic attachment to KDD). But it was originally planned to be an easier hold, an introduction to DROD, and was re-skinned and re-purposed late in its development, so there's a bit of schizophrenia to it.

04-18-2013 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Let me try this again without with less snarking.

The hold begins with the exciting task of running across several empty rooms. After reaching and completing the first major levels, I then had to backtrack through many solved rooms and cross the same dull hub area to proceed with the next location. There is plenty of indication that this will be required many more times throughout the full hold. It's annoying, and feels especially needless compared to previous DROD games wherein you just descended to the next level. At the very least, the introductory puzzles could have been placed in the 'overworld' for your first pass. Or give the player a dialog option to jump straight to the next location, really.

For the record, I played 63 rooms before stopping and they felt like very little BUT tutorials. Frequent voice overs explained each game mechanic. Entire rooms were dedicated to showcasing single basic interactions. Room design was extremely simple, with elements spread out and needlessly repeated (more roaches than required by the 'puzzle' etc.) to avoid any confusion and emphasis the solution. The number of choices to progress was low or nonexistent, leading the player down a set path to observe a demonstration rather than experiment with or discover it themselves. The pace at which these were taught to the player was also very slow; I'm obviously biased on this point but I feel it's unlikely that a player would need three separate rooms to demonstrate that the guards' swords will also effect orbs, and yes, roaches, and yes, crumbly wall.

What hurt my enjoyment the most was the lack of pay-off for these lessons. Using Bractea Town as my example again, I'd spend the first room familiarising myself with guard movement and learning how to defeat them one-on-one. Okay so far. The next room just demonstrates guard vs hapless roaches while you run in thoughtless circles, then eventually kill the guard one-on-one. Next room, you can watch guards path around some rocks, but then they still reach you staggered enough to be killed with the same one-on-one method so there's nothing extra to do or figure out. Next room, you can observe guards being attracted by an ally ... so you walk forward and kill them one-on-one as they break off. Next room, you can see them destroying some crumbly walls but those walls form a basically linear path that you move through and kill them one-on-one in. There's no actual puzzle! It's only watching an interesting interaction and then having nothing done with it that requires thought. The town had all of one non-secret room that required some puzzling (a roach near an arrow effectively preventing your movement, you manipulate a guard's pathed/non-pathed movement to get a couple of orbs hit), and come to think of it, that trick was about the only one that wasn't explicitly demonstrated beforehand.

Anyway, after seeing and learning the many cool interactions that guards have, I reasonably expected that a few more involved rooms would follow as a way to test what I, the player, had just learned. Nope. The level abruptly ended and the next location I visited (Skondusk Marshes) appeared ready to start the whole process again with rafts, so I cut my losses and quit. And then spent even longer writing these two posts. I am not good at time management.

Here's the thing about secret rooms as still implemented by DROD: Finding them is not a puzzle, it is an out-of-context exercise in observing a slightly modified graphic. Their hiding is not clever, as AFAIK they are all hidden in exactly the same way through multiple games. They are not fun to locate, you either happen to notice them or else run through each room again later monotonously scanning each outside wall. They are not even really a secret, since the hold tells you how to find them. All that they are is a chore the player must complete before being allowed to acess the extra puzzles. Optional difficult levels are good but this way of including them is bad game design.

The trial and error scripting room I'm referring to is Rasarun Court 1N 3E. An NPC requests to be let out of a locked room, but there is no indication of what he will do or that it is required to solve the room. To let him out involves deliberately trapping yourself, and requires restarting unless you've already correctly set up the rest of the doors in the room. Even if you have deduced that the room is unsolvable without the NPC's (unexplained) aid, there is no way to know that he is scripted to walk into and stop in any room that contains a bush or dead end. And yes, I checked, avoiding trial and error puzzles is 5th in the list of 'Ideas for Architects' provided with the game.

The combo counter is trivial, but it adds nothing to the gameplay and is likely to encourage hold designers to spam monsters rather than focus on clever puzzles, so I stand by it being a slightly bad idea. I'm also serious about being able to click doors to view which orbs are connected to them; this would be convenient in some rooms and gives the player no more information than is already available to them by clicking the orbs to view connected doors, so I really can't figure out it's continual omission.

[/rant]

I'll give Flood Warning a go this evening, then. Gigantic Jewel Lost also sounds like a worthy replacement for my smiting preference. On a sidetracked note, I can't think of any puzzle piece I specifically disliked from the early games; tarstuff was a drag at times, but that was only because of its slower pacing combined with the developer's insistence of lumping 90% of its puzzles together. Serpents and variants were my favourites, true story.
04-19-2013 at 09:58 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
OneMoreNameless wrote: Here's the thing about secret rooms as still implemented by DROD: Finding them is not a puzzle, it is an out-of-context exercise in observing a slightly modified graphic. Their hiding is not clever, as AFAIK they are all hidden in exactly the same way through multiple games. They are not fun to locate, you either happen to notice them or else run through each room again later monotonously scanning each outside wall. They are not even really a secret, since the hold tells you how to find them. All that they are is a chore the player must complete before being allowed to acess the extra puzzles. Optional difficult levels are good but this way of including them is bad game design.
I think that's a general consensus. I know I had more difficulty with secret walls in 4.0 than any of the other games. That said....
From the last CaravelNet Q&A session...
gamer_extreme_101[01:29 PM]: Any plans on changing secret room discovery? I know that's a complaint I heard from Terry Cavanaugh when playing GatEB, and I was moderately frustrated hunting for secret walls.
skell[01:29 PM]: Znirk: I only really like milk chocolate and I am not rich enough to buy anything better, sorry for being too poor
mrimer[01:30 PM]: (ah, man...my message was too long and got discarded. Gotta watch that)
mrimer[01:31 PM]: Yes, we want to focus on new ways to discover secret rooms.
gamer_extreme_101[01:31 PM]: Hooray!
12th Archivist[01:31 PM]: Hooray!
skell[01:31 PM]: No yay
mrimer[01:32 PM]: Somewhat related to all of these questions: with improved playthrough mechanics, like overworld maps, it's simpler than ever before to provide alternate difficulty areas, that the player can tackle as they are ready.
Tim[01:32 PM]: lol?
mrimer[01:32 PM]: No yay?
Tim[01:32 PM]: oh hi
skell[01:32 PM]: I have always liked secret wall hunting in the official holds
skell[01:32 PM]: But only there
Tim[01:32 PM]: yeah, i agree there should be better ways to find secret rooms

We should also do another one of these at some point Mike. :P

04-19-2013 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I don't think there's all that much of a problem with finding secret rooms. I don't particularly like looking for broken walls, of course, but there are better ways to hide them. Several rooms in JtRH, for example, had very nicely concealed entrances to secret rooms. It was obvious that there was an entrance, but how to get to it was well concealed. For example, in one room, there's a tunnel that's not connected to anything else. Turns out there's another entrance under some tar. Where to look was easy to deduce (it had to be in line with the isolated tunnel. In another room, there's an exit that's behind a black door in a room with uncuttable tar. Uncuttable, that is, unless you work with the Slayer. So I don't think secret rooms are broken so much as lazily hidden in GatEB.

04-19-2013 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
OneMoreNameless wrote:
Here's the thing about secret rooms as still implemented by DROD: Finding them is not a puzzle, it is an out-of-context exercise in observing a slightly modified graphic. Their hiding is not clever, as AFAIK they are all hidden in exactly the same way through multiple games. They are not fun to locate, you either happen to notice them or else run through each room again later monotonously scanning each outside wall. They are not even really a secret, since the hold tells you how to find them. All that they are is a chore the player must complete before being allowed to acess the extra puzzles. Optional difficult levels are good but this way of including them is bad game design.
At the risk of giving something away, Flood Warning does include a cleverly hidden secret room.
04-19-2013 at 03:56 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3260
Someone Else wrote:
At the risk of giving something away, Flood Warning does include a cleverly hidden secret room.
So does the Akandian Desert :tomato

By the way, I like the hub rooms. They were admittedly too empty in GatEB (TCB was better about this), but the exploring side can be fun if there's something to explore. Nobody would have even heard of the Zelda games if they were only chains of dungeons.

[Last edited by Doom at 04-19-2013 04:16 PM : typo]
04-19-2013 at 04:14 PM
Rheb
mrimer wrote:
Hmm, yes, fair enough.

I guess JtRH is the peak when it comes to the four main holds for me.

The walking around bit in Gunthro was annoying for me to. The DROD plot lines are at their best when they focus on character; such as the 39th Slayer, Denfry and the perfectionists. Other than that I want the games to focus on the puzzles and be mostly linear (unless there are clever meta puzzles involved). Receiving quests and "adventuring" around the world in Gunthro (and also somewhat in TCB) just felt weird for me, and I tended to rush those parts.

I guess the puzzle elements of the JtRH era feel cleaner to me. It is very hard for me to put my finger on it. Platforms are definitely a puzzle element I don't like. Sure, they can make for very clever puzzles, but I don't feel they suit DROD well, they are just clunky to move around when you start getting several of them. I'm not a fan of citizens or stalwarts or the new horns I'd take a nice and clean evil eye puzzle any day. Water skippers and nests are also a tough one, they spawn so often most puzzles that use them will require a time consuming part of hoard managing, even if that isn't the main focus of the puzzle.

TCB added many elements I do not like. But it also added a lot of elements I really like. Such as oremite, hottiles, speed potions and tokens which all fit perfectly in to the DROD play style I like.

Having "good" and "bad" puzzle elements really dosn't have to say anything about the puzzles that use them. Zch and Kallor proved everything is possible by making a wonderful level based on Stalwart guiding and water skipper killing. I do stand by my belief though that their are some puzzle elements that makes the architects job easy, and some that makes it very hard. (Then again, what the architects job is does come down to individual taste - this post can only represent how I feel about these things).

Gunthro doesn't introduce much new elements and I am 100% fine with that. The elements that are mainly used in GatEB and the way thay are used does make a large part of the hold uninteresting to me though and that's unfortunate. Many rooms in GatEB feels kind of like fillers, I can see the sense in having new players experiencing similar rooms to let them get a feel for the elements, but there are so many clever things you can do in DROD, and although there certainly are some clever stuff in GatEB a very large portion of the rooms just doesn't seem clever to me. (It's worth noting that custom holds have spoiled me as well, I have no idea if I at this point would feel the same way about much in JtRH).

GatEB is an easy hold, and of course I will like it less than the ones that really challenge me, the chart Someone Else posted speaks pretty clearly. I still do feel many things about GatEB could have been better without having to ramp up the difficulty.

I don't know if this makes any sense, it isn't crystal clear to me, and trying to put it in print blurs it all up even more. But you asked for my opinion, and I hope you can find it at least somewhat useful.

04-19-2013 at 07:15 PM
mrimer
Thank you, Rheb and OneMoreNameless, to put down in print more of your thoughts about GatEB (etc). Welcome (back) to the forum, and thanks for speaking up in the first place! I generally agree with your feedback. I think the team did a great job with GatEB, given what they had to work with, and at the same time, I agree it could have been better. From my vantage point, the dev team is working to make TSS strong in all of these areas that you mention as being weak in GatEB, while not sacrificing other aspects of play. It takes a lot of work.

According to one line of thought, I believe many producers would like to say, "Fans are waiting for TSS. We already know it's going to be pretty good. Let's just slap some final parts together and release TSS this summer." But then I immediately realize that wouldn't be the best thing for anyone, either in the short or long term. So, we're going to take the time we need to get TSS right, and it'll take a fair amount of work yet to provide the features and polish everyone would like to see. So, I'd expect we can have it out within a year from now. I'm confident the wait will be worth it.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-19-2013 07:40 PM]
04-19-2013 at 07:37 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
... or to be precise April 24, 2014/ April 26, 2014 (However, you decide to begin counting.)

Fixed.

I wish that man would stay away
04-20-2013 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3749
I don't want to weigh in on this too much as I'm biased in my opinions on GatEB.

However I would say:
- Overall, the answer to your question is Yes. The hold gets less terrible (or, as I would express it, "better") as rooms increase in complexity and difficulty.

- Yes, there are certainly puzzles

- Yes, the hold has a lot of tutorial-style rooms. This is intentional: it is a hold aimed at beginners, and potentially younger players too. But this doesn't mean that the hold only consists of tutorial-style rooms - these tail off fairly quickly (as you would expect once the basics have been learned).

- Yes, each level devoted to one element doesn't always explore it in huge amounts of detail but even within the guard level there are puzzles that depend on guard manipulation e.g. brained vs. unbrained movement and not just one-on-one killing. Furthermore each hub culminates in a level that combines the elements encountered so far in more complex puzzles.

- Secret walls are used across practically every single official and user-made hold and are not unique to GatEB. I do agree that there are smarter ways to hide secrets though (as seen in GJL, as previously mentioned)

- Other than the room you mention with unintuitive scripting, there are maybe only one or two other rooms in which you will encounter something similar (arguably, golem prison and maybe some rooms in the last level) - this is not representative of the hold. The room in question uses the behaviour that the character will preferentially enter and stay in a room with a plant, which can be deduced after one or two attempts.

- I agree that traversing large (empty) hubs to get to the next level is not ideal and can be tedious, but I think this is partly counterbalanced by the non-linear nature of the hold.

[Last edited by Jacob at 04-20-2013 01:30 PM]
04-20-2013 at 01:29 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
OK, well.

I guess I should probably be in this thread because I was one of the most vocal complainers about Gate B when it came out. I am also referring to it as Gate B from now on for some reason I'm not entirely clear on.

Yeah, the hold is a little tutorially. If you beat the first three DROD games, this one is holding your hand gently and honestly probably massaging your palm in a friendly but vaguely unnerving manner.

To be honest, yes, the game pretty much introduces a few elements and then doesn't /really/ press the issue except in the secret rooms. To me, this is because the official holds for the most part /are/ tutorials on how to beat the really, really crazy user holds and/or Smitemaster's Selections.

It is the game I hand people who have not played DROD before so they don't lose it on me.

There is a decent amount of running around, but I understand that they are implementing ACTUAL OVERWORLD in TSS so this should solve the pointless running around mechanic. It was a weird experiment.

Hunting for Secret Rooms has always been godawful, but I think that removing it would be like removing Spiders. Even though spiders are basically the worst single-tile monster in the game (A /ha/ you all know what monster I hate the most, don't you), I don't think anyone could actually bear losing the little guys, for some weird nostalgic reason.

I only recall one room with obnoxious scripting that really made me want to punch something, and I suspect you didn't get /that/ far yet.

Well, there is also the Akandian desert, but that entire meta-puzzle caused me to become an amputee for several hours as my forearms detached, and shot around the air like homing rockets locating and punching babies.

I found them again though so it was cool.

Edit: in during I don't know what words mean

[Last edited by Banjooie at 04-21-2013 01:16 AM]
04-21-2013 at 01:11 AM
OneMoreNameless
icon Re: Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? (+6)  
Banjooie wrote: Hunting for Secret Rooms has always been godawful, but I think that removing it would be like removing Spiders.
Oh yeah! I forgot about spiders. [bleep] those guys. I know you can't actually remove them from the game engine due to backwards compatibility, but if I were magically in charge of DROD I'd hide them from the hold editor Appropriate! along with vision tokens, then bind tar transparency / eye lines / spider visibility / crumbly wall highlight / possibly grid outlines? into a single toggled 'puzzle view' command. Given that 99% of DROD is about logical thinking and solving puzzles with known elements, occasionally and temporarily hiding information from the player is pointlessly annoying. Nostalgia shouldn't get in the way of refinement.

Yes my hold has a few spiders shut up they're thematic.

[Last edited by OneMoreNameless at 04-21-2013 02:39 AM]
04-21-2013 at 02:31 AM
Banjooie
bind tar transparency / eye lines / spider visibility / crumbly wall highlight / possibly grid outlines? into a single toggled 'puzzle view' command.

mrimer

mrimer HIRE THIS MAN.

Edit: I mean, okay, the guy's asking to reduce difficulty in the same thread that he's complaining Gate B's too easy, but before any of you start, this is 'artificial' vs 'real' difficulty here.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 04-21-2013 05:44 AM]
04-21-2013 at 05:33 AM
Rheb
OneMoreNameless wrote:
Oh yeah! I forgot about spiders. [bleep] those guys. I know you can't actually remove them from the game engine due to backwards compatibility, but if I were magically in charge of DROD I'd hide them from the hold editor Appropriate! along with vision tokens, then bind tar transparency / eye lines / spider visibility / crumbly wall highlight / possibly grid outlines? into a single toggled 'puzzle view' command. Given that 99% of DROD is about logical thinking and solving puzzles with known elements, occasionally and temporarily hiding information from the player is pointlessly annoying. Nostalgia shouldn't get in the way of refinement.

Yes my hold has a few spiders shut up they're thematic.
Oh yeah, please do this. Please.

04-22-2013 at 12:17 PM
mrimer
Sorry, I don't think we'll remove spiders from the editor. While there's a desire for architects to include them in their rooms, they will be used. If no one cares to use them, then they won't be used.

For instance, if OMN wants to use them, even for purely thematic reasons, then it's better for him that the option is available than not.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-22-2013 04:50 PM]
04-22-2013 at 02:15 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
You must be a libertarian.

04-22-2013 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
I played some more. Until just after Englos Keep. Here's a followup.

After reaching the second hub area, the quality of the hold significantly improves. The rooms are still trivial for an experienced player, but they're much better designed. An example is the first room in the golem encampment where the player learns how rock golems can hold down pressure plates. Instead of being told directly ("Gunthro obv knew that etc blah!") or having it play out by NPCs in front of him, you give the player a switch with a reason to hold it down and some rock golems. There's no other elements to confuse the matter so it's still obvious to the newbie that they need to use these things together, but they get the 'aha' moment of realising it themselves. Then they smash some chosen walls and do some simple manipulation to kill a golem (of two, in case they mess up and to keep them on their toes!) on the right spot. It's thoughtful, interactive, and engages the player. This is how official holds should start, otherwise you risk boring players away before they reach the experience that you're actually trying to sell them.

I suppose I should mention the Roach Pits. It was the only early level that stood out as particularly enjoyable and well designed. The limited movement meant the player could only mess up so many times, but the rooms didn't straight up tell the player the various sword tricks and let them figure it out themselves in simple and quick scenarios. No tedious repetition, and no shortage of uses for the tricks in other levels either.

Given as how the Epic Blunder is aimed at newbies, I feel like the nonlinearity actually hurts the game. You can't really design a smooth difficulty curve when you don't know which levels the players will tackle first. Instead you end up treating the player like an idiot for four or five times longer than needed. And since you can't safely reuse any puzzle elements taught in each level until you know the player has cleared them all, you end up with a very disjointed learning experience wherein a skill is taught and then seemingly abandoned without purpose. For a newbie struggling to learn all these skills, that's pretty discouraging, and they're more liable to forget by the time it matters again. It's true that getting stuck on one room is a Bad Thing, but official holds have usually been pretty good for moving about within each level anyway, and puzzle games do always have the (now conveniently linked ingame) option of looking up extra hints or solutions.

Storywise, running back and forth chasing down NPCs all the time feels more like busy work before you're allowed to move forward than actual progression or adventure. Even straight dungeon dives at least had you going deeper each time you completed a level. This isn't really important, though.

As nice as shallow water is for its varied puzzle potential with combinations of interactions new and old, having the player character's ability to cross it be changeable by script seems like a bad idea. It's not a huge issue in the the official hold and I'm sure most builders will use it sensibly, but ... when it come to playing a user hold that's still one less thing that the player can take at face value when looking at a puzzle. It's not as bad as eg. hiding stuff with tar used to be, but it still feels like a small step back in the wrong direction.

On a more positive note, I liked it when secret rooms had a foreboding scroll as an immediate reward for completing them. Can't recall if older holds did that much, but either way, more of this please. Horns were also pretty fun, though not quite as fun as I imagine level continuity must be to design when using them frequently.

Other dishonorable mentions:
* Introduce shallow water mechanic in an amusing cutscene. Proceed to not use the mechanic at all for several levels.
* The large number of rooms containing a squad of stalwarts vs a hoard of roaches and/or guards wherein you do little of tactical or puzzling value as prediction becomes implausible. It was a fun novelty the first time or two, now it just feels like filler.
* Contingent of [bleep]ing Tuenans. Clever place for an easter egg, awful place to make the player backtrack and search for to continue the game.
* "CHARGE!" north to Englos Keep. Immediately charge ... south into ... Englos Keep. Really? Really? You couldn't have possibly flipped the

To be continued ???
04-22-2013 at 02:35 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5413
While I don't love the tone of the OP, nor do I understand the "Remove spiders from the editor even though I use them in my new hold" thing, I could get behind binding a key to the visibility token functionality. Adding tar transparency was a step in that direction, I don't see a problem with taking another step. :)

04-22-2013 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rheb
mrimer wrote:
Sorry, I don't think we'll remove spiders from the editor. While there's a desire for architects to include them in their rooms, they will be used. If no one cares to use them, then they won't be used.
No, that's not it:

bind tar transparency / eye lines / spider visibility / crumbly wall highlight / possibly grid outlines? into a single toggled 'puzzle view' command.

[Last edited by Rheb at 04-22-2013 02:50 PM]
04-22-2013 at 02:49 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Spiders actually have different behaviour than roaches now courtesy of shallow water, don't forget!

04-22-2013 at 03:13 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3749
OneMoreNameless wrote:
* "CHARGE!" north to Englos Keep. Immediately charge ... south into ... Englos Keep. Really? Really? You couldn't have possibly flipped the
Hmm...good point! I really do wonder why we didn't notice and change this.
(However, I guess I kind of assumed that Englos Keep wasn't immediately 1 room north of the "CHARGE!!" room, and that the troops marched north to Englos... and on eventually reaching there the entrance to the keep was on the north side. But, yeah..)

To be continued ???

I'd be curious to hear if you think things get better/worse, and whether you feel the hold was still worthwhile for you to play overall. So I hope you do continue. I also hope that the hold will have rooms that redeem it for you.

Glad you liked roach pits. It was one of my levels, but I always worried the puzzles were a bit messy. (Some day I will have to write my own reply to the GatEB postmortem thread to discuss what I thought went well/not so well)

My own view on spiders is that they are now worth keeping since they behave differently in shallow water. And they can sometimes be used responsibly (see Doom's hold that uses them, for example). Plus, the vision token un-invisibles them.

04-22-2013 at 07:26 PM
Banjooie
I admit, the accidental back and forth of Englos Keep--that /is/ a low point.

Also, yeah, spiders work differently in shallow water but there's no reason they need to still be /invisible/.
04-22-2013 at 07:55 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Does the Epic Blunder get any less terrible? ([rant])
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com