Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Love the Grid. (Our News for January.)
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: Love the Grid. (0)  
I thought Smitemaestro sounded kinda cool. Ah well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-18-2007 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
They weren't insane, just very rambly :P

He was trying to say that ouroboros - the infinity of natural numbers (and integers, and any infinite subset thereof, and a few other things) - isn't that big; For a start, there's a heck of a lot more real numbers than that - aleph-1 of them - and aleph-1 squared complex numbers, which is definitely bigger again. In fact, there have to be infinitely many infinite cardinals, each bigger than the last. There's a heck of a lot of infinities out there...

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 01-18-2007 10:42 PM]
01-18-2007 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
At least in the roachling vs. roach egg debate, we know the roachling came first...

01-18-2007 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Maurog wrote:
At least in the roachling vs. roach egg debate, we know the roachling came first...
Naw, it's the roach egg... :yes

[Last edited by tokyokid at 01-18-2007 11:14 PM]
01-18-2007 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
Is the third one Schick the Razor?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-18-2007 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, it's an actual forum member with an actual unique level title.

(I'll extend Schik's offer and give 2 points to anyone that finds it)

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-18-2007 11:18 PM]
01-18-2007 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
michthro wrote:
And the "s" will offend Jatopian.
Zlander! All liez, I zay! (payback for thiz, eh?) I zimply prefer the more fonetik dialekt, iz al; I really wouldn't bee offended...
Briareos wrote:
Fafnir wrote:
[insane math rabmlings]
Okay - so who forgot to lock the doors to the maths ward this time?
At least his sig isn't a run-on sentence. :P
BeefontheBone wrote:
There's a heck of a lot of infinities out there...
Given the various methods of counting, one (like Fafnir) might say there are an infinite number...

01-18-2007 at 11:21 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Love the Grid. (+1)  
michthro wrote:
I'm the only Legendary Roach Egg! Beat that!
<giggle> Level: Scrambled
01-18-2007 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
piderman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
icon Re: Love the Grid. (+2)  
eytanz wrote:
No, it's an actual forum member with an actual unique level title.

I found two, 'jcobleigh' and 'T-bone', 'Legendary Architect's :D

So that makes three unique ranks, and one double :)
01-18-2007 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Nope. There's 4 unique ranks, and one double. I'm not asking about the double one, though I modded you up anyway :)

01-19-2007 at 12:19 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Love the Grid. (+3)  
Roachling            2969
Goblin                174
Delver                132
Master Delver          63
Smitemaster            30
Smiter                 26
Disabled               19
Legendary Smitemaster	7
Legendary Architect	2
Moderator               1  (Radiant)
Poser!                  1
Really Deadly           1
Legendary Roach Egg     1

01-19-2007 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Hah, PHP script for the win. Nice going Kevin, it's another "why didn't I think of that?" moment. :)

01-19-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Not PHP, but a program, yes :)

01-19-2007 at 12:35 AM
piderman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
I found him as well just now. Thought of making a script, but decided against it. Hard manual labour ftw ;)
01-19-2007 at 12:39 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
hmmm, I know where one Legendary Architect is, but I'm kind of curious as to where the other is.
01-19-2007 at 01:32 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
piderman wrote:
I found two, 'jcobleigh' and 'T-bone', 'Legendary Architect's :D

That's, uh, Todd Downing there.

I forget why he's important, but I know it was Lucas Swineford who helped design King Dugan's Dungeon there. There's definitely a good reason for T-Bone having that title, but it looks like his one post got deleted :/

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-19-2007 01:35 AM]
01-19-2007 at 01:34 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Love the Grid. (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
That's, uh, Todd Downing there.

I forget why he's important, but I know it was Lucas Swineford who helped design King Dugan's Dungeon there. There's definitely a good reason for T-Bone having that title, but it looks like his one post got deleted :/
Todd is the voice of 39th Slayer.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-19-2007 at 01:38 AM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Congrats, Legendary Roach Egg (Smitemaestro sounds cool though)! Just while we're at the rank subject, I've always wondered quite a few things:

1) I know there are other moderators besides Radiant, so shouldn't we give them the title of Moderator as well?
2) Shouldn't we combine the titles of Banned and Disabled? I've never seen the difference between them. And also Guest. Usually duplicate accounts and spammers become guests, shouldn't they also become 'Banned'?
3) Let the Legendary Smitemasters, Legendary Architects, and Unique Ranks be known! We should have a page listing all of the people who have achieved these ranks.
4) Admin = 8 Points? Lets even it out to 10 (or 42 ;) )
5) I swear there was something else! I'll edit this post later if I remember it.

Name: UrAvgAzn

Keep posting,

01-19-2007 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Congrats, Legendary Roach Egg (Smitemaestro sounds cool though)! Just while we're at the rank subject, I've always wondered quite a few things:

1) I know there are other moderators besides Radiant, so shouldn't we give them the title of Moderator as well?

It's a bit confusing, but the forum moderators are all called "legendary smitemaster". The "moderator" title means that the person in question has a sub-form of their own which they moderate, i.e. Radiant moderates the Subterra forum.

2) Shouldn't we combine the titles of Banned and Disabled? I've never seen the difference between them. And also Guest. Usually duplicate accounts and spammers become guests, shouldn't they also become 'Banned'?

I think (though I may be wrong), that "banned" means that the IP was banned, but "disabled" just means that the specific account was closed. So, people with duplicate accounts often get one disabled, but spammers get banned.

people who have achieved these ranks.

4) Admin = 8 Points? Lets even it out to 10 (or 42 ;) )

Huh?

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-19-2007 02:11 AM]
01-19-2007 at 02:10 AM
UrAvgAzn
eytanz wrote:
It's a bit confusing, but the forum moderators are all called "legendary smitemaster". The "moderator" title means that the person in question has a sub-form of their own which they moderate, i.e. Radiant moderates the Subterra forum.
True, but there are some people with unlimited mod points (?), should their rank be changed to 'Moderator'? But I see where you are going with this, so ignore me if I'm not making sense.

I think (though I may be wrong), that "banned" means that the IP was banned, but "disabled" just means that the specific account was closed. So, people with duplicate accounts often get one disabled, but spammers get banned.
Spammers usually then get the title of Guest, I think.

Huh?
Just asking why admin (posts the new holds) only has 8 points. Just curious, doesn't need to be answered.

Keep posting,

01-19-2007 at 02:43 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
He's talking about the oh-so-elusive admin account.

As per the Moderator level, Radiant! and googa should have that title, and Radiant should probably be removed (though I'm not aware of the semantics of the Radiant/Randiant! issue)
01-19-2007 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
UrAvgAzn wrote:
eytanz wrote:
True, but there are some people with unlimited mod points (?), should their rank be changed to 'Moderator'? But I see where you are going with this, so ignore me if I'm not making sense.

Well, I know, I'm one such person. I used to be a "legendary architect" but then I was demoted - I have no idea why, but I decided against making an issue out of it, so I never asked. I'd rather no be called "moderator", since that's a boring name, but if somneone wants to give me (and the other people with unlimited mod pools) a special title, I won't object.

Just asking why admin (posts the new holds) only has 8 points. Just curious, doesn't need to be answered.

Oh, because for a while it was possible to mod the admin up and down and people played around with it, causing it's points to go up and down. 8 happens to have been the value at the time Schik made it impossible to mod the admin anymore.

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-19-2007 02:51 AM]
01-19-2007 at 02:50 AM
UrAvgAzn
coppro wrote:
As per the Moderator level, Radiant! and googa should have that title, and Radiant should probably be removed (though I'm not aware of the semantics of the Radiant/Randiant! issue)
Radiant's first account was registered sometime in '03, but I guess after a while of inactivity, he forgot the password and created a new account. I remember reading it somewhere, though.

Keep posting,

01-19-2007 at 02:53 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
UrAvgAzn wrote:
coppro wrote:
Radiant's first account was registered sometime in '03, but I guess after a while of inactivity, he forgot the password and created a new account. I remember reading it somewhere, though.

Keep posting,

Well then why doesn't he get Schik to reset the password? It's pretty obvious he's actually Radiant, unless Someone Else is remarkable at predicting patches to STII and when the levelsets come out and bug support et cetera.
01-19-2007 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
eytanz wrote:
Well, I know, I'm one such person. I used to be a "legendary architect" but then I was demoted - I have no idea why, but I decided against making an issue out of it, so I never asked.
That was my fault (or at least I asked for it -- I think Schik actually did it). Back during the development for JtRH, access to the nonpublic discussion boards was based on rank category. Legendary Smitemasters had access to all the boards, such as administrator related boards, and also had administration privileges. However, some people didn't need administrator privileges, but did need access to the nonpublic boards, including the JtRH development board, so the "Legendary Architect" class was created for this access. (Edit: Incidentally, there was also a "Citizen" class for a while, with a similar reasoning -- access to the JtRH beta board.)

Eventually, access to specific boards was decoupled from member class and the Legendary Architect class became redundant (since board access could be specified more granularly). At that point, I asked if I could be made a regular forumite again since there was no need for the special class anymore and I didn't want people giving undue weight to posts I made just because I had one of those "Legendary" monikers. Mike and/or Erik agreed that the class wasn't really needed anymore, IIRC, and most of us became regular joes.

Since then I am pleased to say that I've worked my way up legitimately to the rank of Smitemaster -- or everybody has had pity on my fevered rantings and fed me a point here and there. Either way, it wouldn't have been possible if I had been fixed at "Legendary Architect".

By the way, my recollection is that "Legendary Architect" was never coupled with infinite mod points, although many of the people who were LAs were in a position to be tapped as moderator deputies.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 01-19-2007 03:34 AM]
01-19-2007 at 03:30 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
UrAvgAzn wrote:

Keep posting,
Having seen this thread, I don't think its to do with forgotten passwords, but to do with score uploading.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-19-2007 03:36 AM]
01-19-2007 at 03:34 AM
eytanz
AlefBet wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Well, I know, I'm one such person. I used to be a "legendary architect" but then I was demoted - I have no idea why, but I decided against making an issue out of it, so I never asked.
That was my fault (or at least I asked for it -- I think Schik actually did it). Back during the development for JtRH, access to the nonpublic discussion boards was based on rank category. Legendary Smitemasters had access to all the boards, such as administrator related boards, and also had administration privileges. However, some people didn't need administrator privileges, but did need access to the nonpublic boards, including the JtRH development board, so the "Legendary Architect" class was created for this access. (Edit: Incidentally, there was also a "Citizen" class for a while, with a similar reasoning -- access to the JtRH beta board.)

Eventually, access to specific boards was decoupled from member class and the Legendary Architect class became redundant (since board access could be specified more granularly). At that point, I asked if I could be made a regular forumite again since there was no need for the special class anymore and I didn't want people giving undue weight to posts I made just because I had one of those "Legendary" monikers. Mike and/or Erik agreed that the class wasn't really needed anymore, IIRC, and most of us became regular joes.

See, I get all that, but what I don't get is why remove it selectively - apparently only from the people who did the most work on JtRH (and now TCB) - and leaving the title on a few random people.

Since then I am pleased to say that I've worked my way up legitimately to the rank of Smitemaster -- or everybody has had pity on my fevered rantings and fed me a point here and there. Either way, it wouldn't have been possible if I had been fixed at "Legendary Architect".

I was already a smitemaster before I became "Legendary Architect", so I didn't have to worry about that.

By the way, my recollection is that "Legendary Architect" was never coupled with infinite mod points, although many of the people who were LAs were in a position to be tapped as moderator deputies.

I think there was a time when it was the same people - basically, the two of us. Everyone else who had infinite modpoints was a Legendary Smitemaster.

01-19-2007 at 05:24 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
michthro wrote:
Grandmaster's been suggested a few times. Now if I can just get the "smite" into it. Grand Smitemaster? Smite Grandmaster? Grandmaster Smiter?

"a few times"?

the only posts before yours containing "grand" were Larrymurk: "grandmaster wizard" and mine where I said "smite grandmaster or grandmaster smiter". so pbth for acting like it was so common :)

but I like your new title. congrats.

[Last edited by silver at 01-19-2007 05:55 AM]
01-19-2007 at 05:55 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
eytanz wrote:
See, I get all that, but what I don't get is why remove it selectively - apparently only from the people who did the most work on JtRH (and now TCB) - and leaving the title on a few random people.
I can't speak for Schik or Mike or Erik, but I think the intention was to change them all, and I'm guessing they just forgot about those guys. It was pretty soon after JtRH came out and there was a lot going on.

++Adam H. Peterson
01-19-2007 at 06:49 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
BeefontheBone wrote:
He was trying to say that ouroboros - the infinity of natural numbers (and integers, and any infinite subset thereof, and a few other things) - isn't that big; For a start, there's a heck of a lot more real numbers than that - aleph-1 of them - and aleph-1 squared complex numbers, which is definitely bigger again.
Infinite cardinals are funny. There actually are the same number of real and complex numbers, even though the real numbers form a subset of the complex numbers. There are also as many prime numbers as even numbers, and no more rational numbers than integers. Really. I swear. Two sets are defined to have the same size if there is a one-one function from one onto the other, i.e. you can pair elements from one with the other. Makes sense, but has some surprising consequences.

Btw, we don't know that there are aleph-1 real numbers. That's the Continuum Hypothesis. There could be a lot more. *gasp*
01-19-2007 at 08:01 AM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Love the Grid. (Our News for January.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com