Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Leylines: playtesters wanted (It's an indie/freeware turn-based strategy game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant!
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
IP: Logged
icon Leylines: playtesters wanted (0)  
Playtesters wanted for a large-scale turn-based strategy game. Hold a war of conquest and magic in a fantasy world among eight different races, including Humans and Dwarves, the noble S'Sirthe and the enigmatic Theria. 89 spells in four distinct disciplines. 155 units. And Leylines.

Now in beta phase which means there'd likely be some bugs left. Please drop me a PM if interested in playtesting.

12-05-2005 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Leylines: playtesters wanted (0)  
hmm, as you do not accept PMs, I predict that you will get very few responses that way. However, I would be interested in trying this game out.

12-06-2005 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
Is this the same Radiant! as our SubTerra Radiant(sans exclamation point)?

12-06-2005 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I think so, I'm pretty sure Radiant's been working on a game called Leylines for some time.

12-06-2005 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, he has two accounts, I think because he forgets which password he uses on which one or something like that. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-06-2005 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I'd be interested in playtesting; I also PMed this to Radiant's other account.

I do have a couple of questions. Will we be using a private/public board on the DROD forum or will we be submitting feedback to you personally?

Also, Leylines 1.99 is listed on the Crystal Shard site as freeware. Are you needing testing done on that version or do you have a new version you're working on?

KevG

[Last edited by KevG at 12-06-2005 10:01 AM]
12-06-2005 at 10:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Ah, yes, oops. I have two accounts and used the wrong one. The reason for two accounts has something to do with score uploading, I'm afraid.

I'll have to ask Eric about a private board, but for now we can discuss in this thread (or msg me personally).

Leylines 1.99 on crystalshard.net is the version; I put that up yesterday (it's going to be 2.0 when testing finishes). Of course anyone interested can just download it :) the reason I'd like a message is so that I know who's interested.

And thanks!

12-06-2005 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
icon Re: Leylines: playtesters wanted (+1)  
Haven't had a chance to play through a regular game yet, but I played through the tutorial and have a few notes:

I don't know if it's a bug in the program or I've done something wrong, but the options screen doesn't seem to save your choices. Turning the Hi-res option off says you have to restart for it to take effect; but, when you restart, the option has defaulted back to being on again.

At least on my system it doesn't seem to like me using alt-tab or the start menu key. It crashes every time I try to restore it and I get the following error: "[ScrnErr] Failed to initialize the screen. You should reboot your computer and try again. If the problem persists there may be something wrong with your system setup." This is mainly just a problem when trying to take notes.

On the second screen of the tutorial, it says, "The line at the bottom of the screen tells you what kind of terrain you're dealing with." However, all I see at the bottom of the screen is the hex number. The only option I've found for displaying terrain type is the survey option. That option displays the info on the side of the screen.

The tutorial box often covers up important information. I've seen it cover up the red exit option, I've seen it cover up the names of the units in the build screen, I've seen it cover up how many employees are at what task, etc. It doesn't seem to be in the same place each time I play through.

On the Tech Tree menu I don't see any building names. I can call up the info by clicking on the appropriate spot of the screen, but I don't see the name displayed.

A nitpick, but on the battle screen it shoud be "defenders" not "defendants".

The tutorial just seems to leave you stranded on the magic screen. I realise it says that the magic screen it going to be the last stop; but when you get to what I am assuming is the end, there's no real indication that the tutorial is over. It might be nice to have the spacebar end the tutorial instead of making the player figure out it's over and they should just hit F10.

Most of these items could be compatability problems on my end. I'm using Windows XP; let me know what, if any, other info you need from me.

12-07-2005 at 09:11 AM
Jubala
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Leylines: playtesters wanted (+1)  
Oh shoot! I missed the one year anniversy of the last post in this thread by one day. :(

I found Leylines just a couple of days ago and it's responsible for interrupting my sleepcycle. Very similar to Master of Magic, a classic that will never die! The forum link on the crystalshards.net site doesn't work so I cam here for my problems.

1. Just as a FYI I am also experiencing the problem with alt-tabing crashing Leylines.

2. Whenever I recruit a hero I never get the hero I recruit, I always get some random generic unit with some of the heros abilites. Like a flying catapult or an insane diplomat.

3. When casting a spell or recruiting a hero it would be nice to be able to cancel/exit the screen in question without actually casting a spell or recruiting a hero. Once there you can't back out.

4. Pathfinding. I find it a bit annoying when my units doesn't move around enemy units when going somewhere behind them. I've lost several units that way. Not a huge problem really since I now remember to guide them around such obstacles most of the time, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Now to questions:

1. What effect does difficulty level have? Improved AI routines or just various bonuses/penalties to AI/Human players?

Hmm, seems like that's the only question I have right now. Well, no worries, I'm off to play some more now so I'll probably come up with some more. :)

12-08-2006 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
hmmm. I think I still have a copy of leylines installed from way back when I used to play subterra. I'm guessing or two things will have changed? :)

12-08-2006 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Leylines: playtesters wanted (It's an indie/freeware turn-based strategy game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com