Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD (Maze/Adventure/Novelty)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (50 votes)
σ 2.16
Author Name:geomatrx
Submitted By:geomatrx
Hold Name:MetDROiD AE
Theme:Maze/Adventure/Novelty
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:222
Number of Monsters:2955
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+12 / -5)
Poster Message
rchandra
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Re: MetDROiD (+1)  
I enjoyed the hold and I hated metroid :). Very nice aesthetics.

I don't think I'd have liked it without JRtH's map. I didn't use the orb feature though.

The difficulty level was OK, no rooms seemed too ridiculous. Well some did but they were easier than they looked. A couple of the normal rooms near the beginning got really annoying when going through them repeatedly: a snake room west of gate 6 from the east and the one with 3 squads of roaches by gate 12 (I think).

I felt a real sense of progress as I went through (unlike Metroid). Very nice hold.
12-29-2006 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
I highly recommend playing this hold with old-school metroid tunes playing in the background. Adds a lot of atmosphere.

E.g.
http://www.metroidmetal.com/songs/

:thumbsup

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 05-10-2011 04:27 AM]
04-05-2009 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I've recently replayed through this hold, to get it onto my "Conquered" list. In doing so, I found some things that would have been fixed had this hold gone through the HA process.

1. There is at least one backtracking issue--in the room with Gate 12, you can cut some tar after clearing the room. Exiting to the west means you'll need to restore.

2. There is at least one super-major backtracking issue. If you use the restore function (or cheat by observing the gate colors) you WILL become stuck after the "mother brain" fight. By the way, I just realized how awesome that punnery is. You'd need to restore to solve this. And restore far.

3. The hold holds up. Yes, there are a lot of unconquerable rooms. Yes, brained monsters everywhere is kinda annoying. But there is clearly a large amount of effort put into this hold, and though it doesn't reach the height of geomatrx's later MetDROiD holds, it is a great first hold--I'd put it among the top ten in that category, for sure.

You should play this hold.

07-21-2009 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nosdrah Circtrebla
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
icon MetDROiD (+1)  
I realize that this is one of the older holds. I just completed it for about the 3 or 4 time. I think this is a sign of a good hold. I have also complete the other two MetDROiD holds and I enjoyed them as well. I wish you would do other based on different games. Maybe Zelda or Mario Brothers. You clearly have a good sense for making Holds. I just hope others will play this hold as well.

02-04-2010 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I realize this hold has been here a while. I just tried it out Saturday and have been enjoying myself quite a bit. Being very familiar with the original Metroid means I recognize a lot of the effort that went into all the little details, from the placement of wraithwings to look like skrees... all very well done!

I concur with some of the complaints about too many brained enemies (some of the rooms with all the snakes I thought were much more difficult that early rooms in the original game were), but the scenery was brilliant.

One suggestion would be to inform the user what they were actually picking up when they got a code. It would be nice to think "Yay! I got the Long Beam!" even though all you're really picking up is a code.

05-09-2011 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: MetDROiD (0)  
I played this hold long time ago. I stuck somewhere, perhaps because of backtracking issues someone has talked about. Now when I am starting to play DROD again, I forgot all codes :fun :fun

Still not finish it but this hold is a gem. It has theme, and consistant, stubborn creatures. Very well designed hold!
06-09-2011 at 04:46 AM
west.logan
mtuan wrote:
I played this hold long time ago. I stuck somewhere, perhaps because of backtracking issues someone has talked about. Now when I am starting to play DROD again, I forgot all codes :fun :fun

I have all the codes up to gate 15 I think (currently), let me know if you need 'em.

06-09-2011 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Alternately grab the Orb Solver and an AE transparent tar mod.

06-09-2011 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
The hold wasn't very difficult (most of the rooms were easily beatable, except for some of the boss battles) but it became tedious after a while. In this respect it is much like the original Metroid game. This being DROD, I would have added more checkpoints and made all the rooms beatable (instead of having a brain in the corner) just for enjoyment, even if it would have been inaccurate to the original game. Thanks for the checkpoints that were placed!

That said, it duplicated the feel of the NES game very well, from room design to enemy locations and even the boss battles had a familiar feel to them. I often found myself getting lost and not knowing where to go next (just like on the NES!). The amount of work necessary to make a hold like this must be phenomenal. Well done!

As a side note, the GBA remake (Metroid: Zero Mission) was a superb game and made the original actually enjoyable.

02-14-2012 at 02:47 AM
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
This hold is a huge work. It may seem a bit annoying at first impression because at the beginning you have to go through the same rooms many times, but then you start discovering and exploring very large areas and it's where the fun starts. This is recommended if you like exploration, you have 222 rooms in only one level, divided in twenty areas (even if you'll find out many paths of communication among them as you progress through the hold).

Eventually these ideas reached their best in MetDroid Echoes (which is probably one of the best holds 'round there), so if you liked that one you can go back to this.

And there is also MetDroid Prime which I never played, and I'm happy about it: I would be sad if I knew I've completed the whole MetDroid holds and there's nothing more like this...

07-15-2013 at 11:02 AM
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
zex20913 wrote: there is clearly a large amount of effort put into this hold, and though it doesn't reach the height of geomatrx's later MetDROiD holds, it is a great first hold--I'd put it among the top ten in that category, for sure.
So which are the other holds of this category? I'd like to play them.
Thank anyone for the replies. :)

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 07-15-2013 11:08 AM]
07-15-2013 at 11:08 AM
west.logan
As far as I know, there is only MetDROiD, MetDROiD Prime, and MetDROiD Prime: Echoes. He had some other hold in the works that apparently was never finished. I agree, these holds were awesome, for Metroid fans at least :)

07-15-2013 at 04:29 PM
Kyp
Rank Points: 33
I don't want to break your hopes, but I found Metdroid Prime slightly disapointing.
It's the Metdroid I liked the least.

[Last edited by Kyp at 07-19-2013 09:12 AM]
07-17-2013 at 12:36 PM
Matt2k
Rank Points: 26
How do I download this?
03-31-2015 at 02:02 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Matt2k wrote:
How do I download this?

Go to the first post in the thread. The author of that post is admin. The link below should take you directly there.
admin wrote:
Slightly under the admin user name (it is to the left of the post) should be a link to the file to download.

Alternatively, if you have an active Caravel Net account, you can go to the change location screen in game and download it directly from there. Either way, you'll have to go to change location and either download it (if you have an active Caravel net account) or click on import and navigate to the folder it is in.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 03-31-2015 02:49 AM]
03-31-2015 at 02:31 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Or you probably have .hold files associated with DROD already, so you could just try to open it and it'll automatically import. You'll still have to go to the change location screen, though.
03-31-2015 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lepke1979
This was fun. I did find a handful of rooms to be tedious. And more checkpoints in some rooms would have been nice. Overall I found it enjoyable. Key 9's location was a little evil though. Hunted for that a bit longer than I care to admit.

Also checked the restore screen so much for the map, I almost wish it was a hotkey.

[Last edited by lepke1979 at 01-15-2016 06:27 AM]
01-14-2016 at 08:53 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: MetDROiD (+2)  
Bit late for you now, but the forum does have an undocumented map function: http://forum.caravelgames.com/map.php

The catch is that it doesn't know where you have and haven't been, so unless a hold is marked hidden-until-explored (e.g. the official holds), you see everything up front.
01-14-2016 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
lepke1979 wrote:
Also checked the restore screen so much for the map, I almost wish it was a hotkey.

You could also just single-click the mini-map on the left side of the screen - either the room you're in, which brings up a big mini-map of the whole screen, or a room on the mini-map (either in the original box or in the big overlay) which will show a preview of that room in the main DROD screen.

01-14-2016 at 10:28 PM
lepke1979
Tuttle wrote:
Bit late for you now, but the forum does have an undocumented map function: http://forum.caravelgames.com/map.php

The catch is that it doesn't know where you have and haven't been, so unless a hold is marked hidden-until-explored (e.g. the official holds), you see everything up front.

Ah crazy. And thanks...I probably wouldn't have used that though to keep the mystery so to speak since I don't have a Caravel subscription yet (will probably get it later this month).

I didn't mention it prior, but I find holds like this insane (in a good way), sometimes. Maybe it's easier than I think since I never made a hold, but the way people are able to connect rooms is something else.

Chaco wrote:
lepke1979 wrote:

You could also just single-click the mini-map on the left side of the screen - either the room you're in, which brings up a big mini-map of the whole screen, or a room on the mini-map (either in the original box or in the big overlay) which will show a preview of that room in the main DROD screen.

I was playing it in KDD. While the map will come up if you double click it, it was hard for me to make out how the tiny walkways connect in a lot of areas. The click on the room option didn't come about until TCC I think.

Could have played it in TCC or later I guess, but figured I'd play it in what it was originally created for.
01-15-2016 at 06:24 AM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD (Maze/Adventure/Novelty)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com