Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD (Maze/Adventure/Novelty)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (50 votes)
σ 2.16
Author Name:geomatrx
Submitted By:geomatrx
Hold Name:MetDROiD AE
Theme:Maze/Adventure/Novelty
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:222
Number of Monsters:2955
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+12 / -5)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: metDROiD.hold (54.7 KB)
Downloaded 3088 times.
License: Other
icon MetDROiD  
Ok, I've finally released my first hold to the forum.

Adapted from the classic NES Metroid game, search the hold for codes contained within scrolls. Use these to open yellow gates, to further explore the hold that is MetDROiD!

Its has been extensivly tested in the Archetecture board.

If you use jtrh, the map feature is extremly useful to help you cut down on shoe leather.
Though I would strongly advise against 'skipping ahead' using the yellow gate-orb checking function.

Hope you all enjoy this fairly unique experience.

g
05-30-2005 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Wiz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: MetDROiD (0)  
i won't give a 1-10 appreciation cause i won't ever finish this hold but i'll comment my point of view : i started liking the idea but... IT IS ANNOYING AS HELL,NO,EVEN MORE,TO CROSS ONLY ROOMS THAT YOU CAN'T CLEAR,and killing/doging everytime the same monster :angry i really hate this but the idea is cool ,too bad,i won't have the nerves to finish it
05-31-2005 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Thnaks Wiz,
As I said, this is kind of a novelty, and won't be to everones taste :)

g

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
05-31-2005 at 09:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Wiz
sure but anyway the code idea is one good idea (noticed that i forgot to mention )now if those brains could be reached...lol
05-31-2005 at 01:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
I'll be doing a few sequels - probably one more with AE only elements.

I'll make the next ones with more completable rooms, and you will only need to enter door codes once.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
05-31-2005 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Wiz
i must admit though that it colors the rooms on the map,they are pink as in metroid,and it is also true that in metroid,monsters keep reappearring so you are in fact close to the subject,and for that i appreciate your work :)
05-31-2005 at 05:17 PM
geomatrx
i made it so the monsters reappear - as they do in Metroid, however, the pink map is purly coincidental :)

g

MetDROiD Echoes
05-31-2005 at 07:43 PM
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
After all that, the final stairs took me back to the beginning of the Hold instead of to final victory.

05-31-2005 at 09:28 PM
geomatrx
that sucks. can i get that changed now???

g

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:06-01-2005 at 12:19 AM]

MetDROiD Echoes
06-01-2005 at 12:05 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I think we're still waiting for Shick to finish the mystical magical hold upgrading feature, but it shouldn't be more than a few more weeks on that and I was able to restore to after the big battle but before I entered the final room...

speaking of, when you do upgrade it, put a save point next to the exit stairs! that way if there's a problem with the stairs, I can restore to right before going through them... without it, then I can only restore to the first time I entered the exit room (which in this case would put me back to the very beginning). (or if I'm lucky there's a unique room I can restore to along the way. many of your exit route rooms are actually paths through rooms I had already traversed, but there were a couple unique to the exit route so I was only set back to re-fighting the 3 goblins at the end).

06-01-2005 at 12:14 AM
geomatrx
cool, i just checked that, so no MAJOR harm done. Doing the whole thing again probably wouldn't be so pleasant :)

Really sorry about that. I had finished the hold months ago, and was just ironing out some v.small niggles. Didn't really think about checking the steps again!

g

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:06-01-2005 at 12:19 AM]

MetDROiD Echoes
06-01-2005 at 12:18 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Wow. I liked the concept a lot, and thought it was well implemented, given that Beethro can get no improvements.

The regenerating monsters did get annoying at times, but you made the most annoying ones beatable, which was good.

It's a little bit separate from the rest of DROD...and I think it's great that this is a unique hold, a touch aside from pure puzzle solving, and more on the "survive!" side, without throwing too many monsters in one room.

It almost inspires me to create a ZelDROD, but that would be a LOT of work. As I'm sure this was. Congratulations, and thank you for this hold.

06-02-2005 at 05:35 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
zex20913 wrote:
It almost inspires me to create a ZelDROD, but that would be a LOT of work. As I'm sure this was. Congratulations, and thank you for this hold.

While regenerating monsters adds to the accuracy of the tribute, I'd say it is by no means required. Feel free to make a ZelDROD without that annoyance factor. ;)

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've thought about making tributes of various games, mostly RPGs, although Zelda 1 (and maybe Link to the Past, and the GB ones of course) would work well. If someone does do this, I highly suggest having each 4x4 set of screens be one DROD screen. Cutting down the overworld map size and dungeon size by 4 will save a lot of work, as well as a lot of running around for the players. Now that you can return to a level and have it save its state, it makes these kind of things much more reasonable.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-02-2005 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Yeah, I put the regenerative monsters in there, so when you did have to go back (like in Metroid), you'd have to actually kill something than just walk through empty halls. I done this not only for authenticity, just that I prefer to rather do kill something in a room again and again (but not too much).

Also, I made sure I scaled the original mapping to a reasonable level. I reduced the number of rooms in most corridors (that would have become very repetetive indeed), and removed a few 'redundant' rooms. I also made it more 'asthetical' - the original metroid used alot of repeated graphics in the game - not much fun for a budding achitect like me.

As I said, I am going to attempt a few more tributes to other Metroid games in DROD, a couple more in AE, and the rest in JtRH. I am even going to attempt recreating Prime and Echoes from the GC (There is currently a fan project recreating Prime in 2D, and from this, I can assume 3D games can, in a way, be converted)

Im sure I can rely on other architects building more 'orthodox' holds, so I my MetDROiD projects harmlessly.

g

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:06-02-2005 at 10:11 AM]

MetDROiD Echoes
06-02-2005 at 10:08 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Can I just say that I like this hold a lot? (I was planning to say more, but I think I did that some time ago...)
geomatrx wrote:
As I said, I am going to attempt a few more tributes to other Metroid games in DROD, a couple more in AE, and the rest in JtRH. I am even going to attempt recreating Prime and Echoes from the GC.
Okay... Now I really need to finish Prime then... (But first Ocarina and WindWaker)
I know... Too many great games, too little time...

I still think this is one of the better holds on this board. ;)

-- Tim

06-02-2005 at 10:14 PM
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
I'm playing through this now. Thankfully I've always been a Metroid fan, or this hold really wouldn't have much appeal.

If you're going to do sequels along this style, please try to work in some JtRH elements. As much as you can do a lot with classic AE, we're currently having a bit of a shortage of really cool JtRH holds.
06-02-2005 at 11:06 PM
geomatrx
Well i've been working a lot with scripting, to have like 'boss' elements.

Also in Prime, there were instances of going back to an old room, and there was different enemies when you returned, collecting different pieces of the puzzle.

I do want to realease a mixture of AE and JtRH levels. I might actually jumble up the releases, do a JtRH, then and AE, etc.

Who says creation and distribution has to be a straight line?
Mr.G.Lucas certanly didn't. lol.

g

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:06-02-2005 at 11:40 PM]

MetDROiD Echoes
06-02-2005 at 11:39 PM
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Sorry to admit I had to stop playing through it. I didn't think the same enemies over and over would be a problem. However, overuse of snakes changed that. Cut back on the snakes if you're going to have people repeat the same room.
06-02-2005 at 11:59 PM
geomatrx
Hey, it not my fault snakes decided to rest in that part of the hold :lol

But i do admit, I might have got a little snake happy in places, but this is almost the only place you run into snakes in the entire hold.

Also, the snake rooms I used are mearly 'educational' rooms; i.e. once you have played them a few times, you will become confident in how brained snakes move. Therefor, the rooms should become easier the more times you visit them.

Snake help.
Click here to view the secret text

MetDROiD Echoes
06-03-2005 at 09:32 AM
Tim
geo,

I think I've told you about the serpent problems in the first few rooms. But now I'm not sure getting rid of these rooms is necessary, may be you could replace the brains in these rooms with a roach or something...

But if anyone feels incompetent passing these snake rooms (which you only need to do it a few times) you might want to stop playing this hold for now, because you will not get very far. This hold contains some puzzles with very high difficulty, but very fun and rewarding. ;)

Usually, when "a hold is as fun as difficult" is not a good thing, but this hold is actually means something good. :)

By the way, this hold is built and tested months before JtRH was released, so this is an AE hold. If you do not like to play AE holds because it does not have JtRH features, then you should not play it.

-- Tim

06-03-2005 at 10:59 PM
geomatrx
Thanks Tim. I never really thought of these rooms as difficult. Porbably cause if you create them yourself, you can never really tell how difficult they are - you already know the solution.

I am not modifying any rooms now. The only change i'll make is the staircase bug.

I might edit the difficulty setting on the first post using the admin feature. What would you give as the brain rating? I thought DD was harder, but obviously much easier to begin with.

g

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:06-03-2005 at 11:15 PM]

MetDROiD Echoes
06-03-2005 at 11:15 PM
Tim
I voted 7 for difficulty and 8 for fun. (Although I might increase the last one ;))

I think 7 is okay, considering people voted City of Queens 6.5 and Bavato's Dungeon 7.5 as difficulty.

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:06-03-2005 at 11:34 PM]

06-03-2005 at 11:32 PM
geomatrx
I've changed it to 6.5. Very nice :)

Now its just a case of uploading the hold with the ending, and continue developing my other drod projects enough to post on the architecture board. Still undecided whether to do an AE hold, or a JtRH one. I like using more themes theough. Do you know if a fire/lave theme is being developed for the full version?

MetDROiD Echoes
06-03-2005 at 11:59 PM
Vertigo
Rank Points: 18
On second thought, still unsure about 8S 10E. Is this possible coming from the NW entrance?

[Edited by Vertigo at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 02:10 AM]

[Edited by Vertigo at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 02:54 AM]
06-06-2005 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
Vertigo wrote:
On second thought, still unsure about 8S 10E. Is this possible coming from the NW entrance?

Hey Vertigo, hope you managed to solve this. But if you didn't...

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-06-2005 at 09:41 AM
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
I just beat your hold. My ending time was 9 hours, 45 minutes, with 146889 moves. I pretty much loved everything about it (except for 2 rooms, and the staircase bug). I am just posting to say very nice hold. I so can't wait for your next one. :D
06-18-2005 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
thanks cheese. its nice to receive feedback :thumbsup

My next hold is building nicely. Im converting Metroid Prime now, keeping then entire stoyline too, I think changing this to a Beethro story would be difficult to say the least.

The hold itself will be more asthetical, and less annoying rooms. Im using jtrh, so there will be scripting and moer monster in it, but I can't say much more at this time.

Its going to be fantastic!

MetDROiD Echoes
06-20-2005 at 08:40 PM
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
icon Re: MetDROiD (+1)  
geomatrx wrote:
thanks cheese. its nice to receive feedback :thumbsup

My next hold is building nicely. Im converting Metroid Prime now, keeping then entire stoyline too, I think changing this to a Beethro story would be difficult to say the least.

The hold itself will be more asthetical, and less annoying rooms. Im using jtrh, so there will be scripting and moer monster in it, but I can't say much more at this time.

Its going to be fantastic!

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite video games EVER. I so can't wait for the DROD version. How are you going to manage to do things like "spider ball" and "magnetic rails?" Just wondering.
06-23-2005 at 03:10 AM
geomatrx
They will just be door codes again im afraid.

The 'Prime' aspect of the game is reflected in the levels, item pick ups (used as codes) and game story (at the moment, it will just be a direct port of all the text in prime).

Its gonna be huge!

MetDROiD Echoes
06-23-2005 at 01:35 PM
roachman
Rank Points: 16
cool hold, i give 8/10 bcz it was too hard

07-05-2005 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD (Maze/Adventure/Novelty)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com