Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tenths (Unofficial July Contest)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
IP: Logged
icon Tenths (+10)  
Your objective is to create a room that is at largest size 10 X 10 squares wide and long. Anything that is not the 10 X 10 area should be wall, and the Build/ Generate entity commands are banned from use. You are otherwise unrestricted on what elements you can use. Stairs, however, can be placed outside the 10 X 10 area. Your hold should only contain one room, which should be exitable (Either via stairs or scripting). Each person can submit a maximum of four (4) rooms, each in separate holds.

The winner will get a (1) rank point. Every point counts, you know.

You will be judged by difficulty and playability.

Entries are due on Local Time:08-04-2015 at 04:00 PM or in negative 454 weeks, 3 days

[Last edited by BlueFlower at 06-29-2015 03:04 PM]
06-29-2015 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Tenths (+1)  
Seep?

06-29-2015 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Seep are acceptable as long as they're in the 10 by 10 area.

06-29-2015 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Tenths (+2)  
I have too many mod points for my own good. I'd be happy to fund a 50/25/10 rank point prize on account of this being a good contest idea!

06-30-2015 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BlueFlower
icon Re: Tenths (0)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I have too many mod points for my own good. I'd be happy to fund a 50/25/10 rank point prize on account of this being a good contest idea!
That sounds great!

06-30-2015 at 12:42 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Just so that we are all on the same page, can I assume that outside the 10x10 area must strictly be wall, and not wall(hard), and that wall (ceiling) and dark (ceiling) are also prohibited? In other words, decorative stuff is also disallowed outside the 10x10 area.

Also, are custom images fair game as long as they are in the 10x10 area or used for a portrait?

06-30-2015 at 03:30 AM
BlueFlower
Wall (Hard), is okay, and if you want t cover it up with dark, I guess you could. Non- copyrighted images are allowed.

06-30-2015 at 03:48 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
I really should try this one, given this is the entire premise of Floor 33 so I should have the advantage of experience. :D

On the other hand, a lot of my ideas were used up on that. :?

Anyway, I'm at least curious what people do with the same style.
07-05-2015 at 08:04 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Minor question, are we allowed to have weapons (for the player, guards, other entities) start outside the 10-by-10 area? I did this in a silly room that I don't plan to submit and now I'm wondering if it would be allowed.
07-06-2015 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
Another question! Do these rooms have to be enterable from the outside, or can we plop Beethro down anywhere we please? (Oh right duh, this is going to be a one-room-per-level hold, isn't it?)

Now a question that actually needs answering: is it okay to put green doors or blue doors outside the 10x10 area?

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 07-08-2015 02:30 AM]
07-06-2015 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BlueFlower
The answer to the latter questions is no. Stairs are allowed because they're level exits, not floor.

07-09-2015 at 06:39 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Nice idea for a contest.
I've submitted a couple of entries; may attempt some more.

07-27-2015 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Fine, I made an entry too. It's actually probably quite easy, so don't worry too much.

07-27-2015 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434

File: Crowds.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
I made this as a joke. Since I told a bunch of people about it in chat and it's not really planned out in any way, I figured I'd just post it publicly rather than have it count as an actual entry to the contest.

If you're going to do a compilation hold and decide you want to include this as a secret room or something, you have my permission. If you don't want to include it, that's fine too.
07-29-2015 at 10:22 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Dragon Fogel wrote:
I made this as a joke. Since I told a bunch of people about it in chat and it's not really planned out in any way, I figured I'd just post it publicly rather than have it count as an actual entry to the contest.
That's never really stopped me before.

07-29-2015 at 11:30 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Dragon Fogel wrote:
If you don't want to include it, that's fine too.

But not with me. Please include this in the compilation hold as it is awesome!

07-30-2015 at 12:46 AM
BlueFlower
This contest ends tomorrow at 9.00 AM MST, so finish up your entries for submittal!

08-04-2015 at 05:04 AM
BlueFlower

File: Tenths.zip (98.9 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
icon Re: Tenths (+2)  
Tenths Submissions with all submission that were in the thread.

KingCookie's hold was disqualified due to its submittal at 4.55PM, instead of before 9 AM MST, and therefore is not included.

08-06-2015 at 04:02 PM
KingCookie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25

File: Squares are Beethros Friend.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
oops here it is anyways if someone wants to play it

its not so great
08-06-2015 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1

File: Tenths in one hold.hold (70.1 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
icon Re: Tenths (+5)  
Here's all but one of the entries in a single hold.

Desert Daydream by nolarboot was not editable for me, so I have not included it. If the architect is around, I would be happy to add it if that is changed. Also, I'd take a look at whether or not the hold is completable.

I changed a couple level names since the contest entry's name was in the hold title. If any other levels should be changed, let me know.

Edit: added checkpoints and a couple architect names
Edit 2: now finishing entries goes back to the hub. I'm dumb
Edit 3: added some reset scripts to the hub so that you don't get stuck with the wrong weapons and stuff.
Edit 4: fixed jamesdenem's entry and added Desert Daydream

[Last edited by blorx1 at 08-06-2015 09:26 PM]
08-06-2015 at 05:07 PM
blorx1
I fixed the hold ending so now you can actually go back to the hub. As of now the hold has two standing issues that I'm aware of,

Deceptive Rooms currently probably ends the hold because I didn't want to figure out which character had the hold end and which just changed entrances.

Desert Daydream is not included because it was not editable (or conquerable?)

08-06-2015 at 05:29 PM
jamesdenem
Rank Points: 203
Blorx1,
I have PMed you to let you know which character to look at for the room exit change.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
08-06-2015 at 05:45 PM
blorx1
Alright, I fixed changed the characters so that jamesdenem's entry returns to the hub correctly. Everything else should have been in working order.

Because that hold has a script to return you to the hub if you use the command key, it is very likely that using it will break the entry. If you do use it, be sure to restore back to the level's original state.

08-06-2015 at 05:56 PM
jamesdenem
Rank Points: 203
I just tested my own hold to make sure that everything seems to be working the way it is intended, and the command key return to hub does not break my entry.
(Which is good, since I wanted players to have a way out if they get too frustrated or confused.)

Of course, using it does mean you start from the beginning again, no matter how far you get in the hold...

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
08-06-2015 at 06:32 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
The 2nd set of stairs in Construct Validity I End Hold instead of going back to the Hub.
08-06-2015 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Fixed

08-06-2015 at 09:26 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
So much for anonymity and unbiased judging!
Lots of nice entries here. Many are too hard for me though!

08-07-2015 at 12:03 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I believe nolarboot's room is still unsolvable because nothing opens the exit arrow.

There are a couple more rooms that look clearly impossible(tm). Anyone had better luck with these?

Hostile Brew - PigmyWubba
Click here to view the secret text

Abstract Escape - Red-XIII
Click here to view the secret text

08-07-2015 at 04:02 PM
PigmyWubba
Rank Points: 151
I can assure you that Hostile Brew is completely possible in the current version of TSS, though 5.0.2. might make the room easier?

08-07-2015 at 05:07 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
You don't have to kill all the monsters to conquer the hold, as far as I understood, the hold must be exitable, not clearable. Is it really that bad that you can't kill all the babies? :/ Afterall, I also named the room to be an escape.

08-07-2015 at 05:21 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tenths (Unofficial July Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com