Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently don't love about GatEB
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
IP: Logged
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about GatEB (0)  
I'll concur that the ending text was disappointing.
04-13-2012 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
enzi666
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
I had a great time with GatEB. The only bad thing I could say about it is that it's too short/easy and some love/hate elements like tar and the tar mother were completely absent.

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
04-17-2012 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jints
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about GatEB (+1)  
:blush

[Last edited by Jints at 11-17-2014 09:09 PM]
04-17-2012 at 10:04 PM
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
I'm also a less experienced player and I am finding the game very enjoyable, though difficult. What I really don't like about this game is the help page... as it suggests that one should play Advanced Concepts to learn about game mechanics etc. Great. Now I'm getting addicted to that! As well of course as my KDD, JtRH & TCB discounted 'holds' which are also keeping me from playing my original purchase of GatEB. :fun

Edit: Having now sampled & played different versions/holds I personally would have liked to have seen more written (scrolls/tips/hints etc.) other than what's in the tutorial. I prefer the scrolls' text rather than transcripts of the spoken word as I can go back to them repeatedly - as in KDD. Just my opinion.

[Last edited by Boris Carl Orff at 04-17-2012 11:39 PM]
04-17-2012 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
RoboBob3000 wrote: Ending Text...
Yes, this was purely an oversight. I'm sorry about that. Fixed for 4.0.2.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-26-2012 02:56 AM]
04-26-2012 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
increpare
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
The only other drod game I played to any extent was TCB (which I made good progress in, but didn't finish), but my feelings are like this :

There were a lot of pretty fluffy rooms - it's possible for something to be elementary/accessible and still interesting/non-trivial (maybe even hard :P) , but that wasn't the case for a number of rooms (I think I experienced this the most in the castle area that had rooms around the inside with lots of arrow-related stuff).

The room that introduced people to cracks I had a bad experience with (looking for cracks can be a bit of an eyestrain - it felt a bit punishing rather than interesting).

The plot was one of the things that I really liked about TCB, and something that I didn't like about GatEB. The plot didn't make much sense in gateb - it seemed like a very light dressing.
1 - so I have to find these four heroes. This felt a bit rote/mechanical to me.
2 - then when I go to the next area I have to find them again, with no convincing motivation. This caused me to despair a little.

(I'll note that in both of these cases I accidentally forgot to rescue one of the heroes, and had to go back and visit each of the dungeons until I found them).

The ending made no sense to me.
Click here to view the secret text

I hold the DROD games to really high standards (standards that they've set themselves :P ) - higher than maybe any other game series. So, take these comments in that context.

While GatEB is by normal standards a pretty good game, I'm still recommending TCB to people, regardless of skill level.
04-26-2012 at 08:29 AM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
If I'd played TCB before JTRH I wouldn't be here. It's the *worst* place to introduce people, both mechanically and story-wise.

And yeah, the ending is awkward, almost certainly due to a hasty reskin.

Official Hold Progress:

04-26-2012 at 09:57 AM
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about GatEB (+2)  
I'll defend the ending, inexplicably.

04-28-2012 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Why are there Four Sand Keys? I get that we needed a reason to visit the Akandian levels, and I liked all of the rooms in which one gets keys, but it just screams lazy MacGuffin. I was more or less down with the story up to that point.

The bonus meta-puzzle... I'm just glad I like to hit checkpoints and save victory demos. I feel bad for those who don't.

Aurora having no lines the first time she appeared was a little saddening. When she did finally speak, her line was alright, but it was just one line... additionally, while the voice actor playing her was alright, she just didn't have a voice that seemed compatible with an Aurora Bladeseeker, if you understand what I mean. She sounded almost like a child.

The end of the spider cave bored me. I preferred Snuddick Frolem.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-28-2012 07:49 AM : + Aurora stuff]
05-28-2012 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
Rank Points: 66
$0.02 from someone who's 2/3 through KDD and finished GatEB - again ;)

On to the gripes then, as I think I said everything that felt right in that other thread.

I said I loved and hated the

Another minor gripe is having to go through four dungeons several times in a row. Not a bad thing per se: it allows the player to give up on a puzzle temporarily and not be limited to other rooms of the same dungeon. But it felt rather poorly introduced - at least as far as the Akandian part is concerned. It's your average RPG cliché, it's almost expected, so it's not entirely bad. But it just felt like "wait, we need a reason to place 4 more dungeons, let's slap a 'four keys' thing on it and be done with it".

The ending is also a bit of a letdown. While

And that's about it. GatEB has been an immensely enjoyable romp as a whole. It may be a bit on the easy side, but that's all good. I feel much better prepared for whatever other holds have in store, and playing a game that's heavily focused on puzzles doesn't bother me in the least, so it's all for the best (heck, why would I be here otherwise). So far so good.

Oh. And very, very minor. But

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-28-2012 08:02 PM]
05-28-2012 at 11:07 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Hyeron wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. But, what are you referring to when you say "ending sequence" (do you mean the end-game, postmastery rooms, end message on completion...)?

We should probably check that out if it does indeed say "in Rasarus" though I can't think where that could be.

Englos Keep is definitely in Tueno (Englos is a Tuenan town and the player reaches it directly from the Tuenan Coast without going on a boat).

05-28-2012 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
Rank Points: 66
Ah, you are right. I must have read that wrong the first time around. My own fault if I had to run around like a rat. Apologies. :)

05-28-2012 at 05:13 PM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
I don't understand people saying they had to run around for ages to find

Official Hold Progress:

05-29-2012 at 11:27 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
The thing I haven't liked so far is that when you first get team mates in "Whittled River Valley" there is no explanation on *how* to interact with them.
Then I worked out you could click on them.
Later on you're told you can use TAB - I wish that was mentioned earlier. Doing "Whittled River Valley" 4 North without that knowledge was annoying.

06-08-2012 at 11:54 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Mouse wrote:
The thing I haven't liked so far is that when you first get team mates in "Whittled River Valley" there is no explanation on *how* to interact with them.
Um, at the end of the initial conversation with Gulric Dawnmace in Whittled River Valley:1N, it states "[Press TAB or click on a squad mate to command them]".

You can't solve that initial room without seeing that conversation. So the only possible way to miss that instruction is to cancel the tutorial conversation by pressing Space, or leaving the room quickly after triggering it. Now, while I'd admit this isn't a completely ideal or clear way of making sure the player knows how to interact with squad mates, it's certainly not "no explanation at all".
06-09-2012 at 12:05 AM
Mouse
TFMurphy wrote:
Mouse wrote:
Um, at the end of the initial conversation with Gulric Dawnmace in Whittled River Valley:1N, it states "[Press TAB or click on a squad mate to command them]".

You can't solve that initial room without seeing that conversation. So the only possible way to miss that instruction is to cancel the tutorial conversation by pressing Space, or leaving the room quickly after triggering it. Now, while I'd admit this isn't a completely ideal or clear way of making sure the player knows how to interact with squad mates, it's certainly not "no explanation at all".

You know - I never saw that conversation. I must have gone in the room & out again straight away.

Reminder to self: never play DROD with a 3 year old near the keyboard - you miss important stuff.
06-10-2012 at 11:55 PM
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
TFMurphy wrote:

You can't solve that initial room without seeing that conversation. So the only possible way to miss that instruction is to cancel the tutorial conversation by pressing Space, or leaving the room quickly after triggering it.

There is a third possibility... that message is displayed from (3,28), which puts the box down at the bottom of the screen, well away from the dialogue boxes. It could have just been missed.
06-11-2012 at 11:57 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
I've just finished the game (yes, I actually bought a new computer so that I could run GATEB). The game is nice overall, but I feel I agree with the comments above - storywise, the characters are too flat and the ending is unsatisfying; gamewise, the large empty areas don't really add anything and the game is too short. Unlike TCB and JTRH, this game had me go "wait, that's all?" at the end.

$.02

06-19-2012 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
Resurrecting an old thread now that I *think* I've mastered GatEB.

Things I don't like:
- The whole traipsing around to work out where to find the master wall. Very annoying.
- When I went secret hunting the usual method of restoring to near where I wanted to go to then going from there didn't work for one or two secrets. Or to put that another way: some secret room aren't accessible when you first think "Hey there might be a secret room over there"

- After all that mucking about to find the master wall the area on the other side was quite small. I was left thinking "That was a lot of messing around for not much"

Overall though, I liked GatEB - it was fun.

03-19-2013 at 08:35 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Mouse wrote:
- After all that mucking about to find the master wall the area on the other side was quite small. I was left thinking "That was a lot of messing around for not much"

The master wall?

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-19-2013 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently don't love about GatEB
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com