Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Holds with No Doors (An unofficial Architecture contest for November)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged
icon Holds with No Doors (0)  
So why are we here?

This year's Onsuary flood was more extensive than normal. Lord Spittlefeister's dungeon defenses were insufficient, and the entire underground system has become a watery pit of mush. Luckily, he has sufficient funds available to purchase the services of a new architect and build a new dungeon.

Seeing the success of other powerful figures in holding contests, Spittlefeister has also decided to hold a dungeon-building contest in order to decide which architect will build his new dungeon. To save funds, and also "to encourage creativity", the architects will have to work within a restriction that, as far as he knew, had never been tried before.

So what are we doing here?

Your job is to build a dungeon of any size and attach it in a reply to this thread. However, your hold may not contain any doors. I will specify that red, blue, green, black, yellow, and master doors and any sister doors are forbidden. Interpret the uncertain areas of this theme however you want.

So how are you going to decide which of our holds is best?

The same way we always do - hold a public vote in which people rate your holds from 1 to 10. The hold with the highest average wins.

So how can we make holds that get good scores?

First of all, I can't tell you exactly how to do that - that's at the whim of our voters! I can point out a few things that will help though.

-Don't get disqualified, obviously. Any hold I find that has even a single tile of red, blue, green, yellow, black, or master door or sister door will be removed from the voting and will not be allowed to win.

-"Use" doors. Although you cannot have red, green, black, or blue doors, creative ways of ensuring their conditions are met may earn you some higher scores and much of my personal praise and appreciation.

-Make your hold easy to understand and fun to play. If your mechanisms are arcane and difficult for the players to comprehend, you might end up scaring them off or killing them.

So, when does this contest end?

December 1st, 2007 of the Gregorian Calendar. Any of you too poor to afford the luxury of a Gregorian calendar, you will not know when this date is on the common calendar of the Eighth, so get a calendar from a friend.

So, what incentive do we have for performing well?

I currently have 86 mod points (Eighty-six thousand greckles for you commoners).

-The author of the first place hold will receive +7 rank points.

-The author of the second place hold will receive +5 rank points.

-The author of the third place hold will receive +3 rank points.

-Everyone who submits a qualified hold will receive my personal congratulations for stepping up and succeeding at this challenge.

So, will you compile this contest?

The answer - probably. I'd like to stipulate that if anyone steps up to do the compilation for me, please follow the same restriction of no doors in the compilation hold.

So, are you going to make a hold under this theme too?

Yes. In fact, I'm not even done yet, so I'll be under the same time pressure as the rest of you.

So, when do we start?

Now is good for me. Get going, and have a good time!

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-14-2007 12:47 AM]
11-13-2007 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Holds with No Doors (0)  
Cool idea. Don't forget to include the black doors as well.

11-13-2007 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Yes, I forgot the black doors. Thank you. :)

Nobody can use black doors or sister doors.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-13-2007 03:03 AM]
11-13-2007 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Are we allowed to use scripting and characters?

Furthermore, are we allowed to have orbs in the room, even if we have no doors (for things like briar removing orbs, then removing the briar, or cracked orbs that aumtlich can blast through)

11-13-2007 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
You forgot the blue door. Also, couldn't someone just make a room with 3 titles and use that to solve the challenge?

11-13-2007 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Bingbing wrote:
You forgot the blue door. Also, couldn't someone just make a room with 3 titles and use that to solve the challenge?
Of course they could :P It would just get voted as rubbish!

11-13-2007 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Holds with No Doors (+1)  
Pedantic question: trapdoors don't count as doors, right?

Also, if eyes are windows to the soul, and windows are essentially doors (especially French windows), do evil eyes count as doors?
11-13-2007 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Now, essentially, we're allowed any TCB element except doors.

Element. Say it aloud, and it's a lament.

A lament is a mourning chant, for someone who'd died.

Chant - again, say it aloud and it's shan't

Now, shan't is a contraction. Which if said aloud is an awful lot like a contraption

A door is a contraption.

So if you follow my logic, any drod element is in essence a door, and so the only hold we could enter would be (in a Zen-like manner), the non-existing hold, the holdless hold. And so, there's no point entering.

Of course there may be one or two teensy flaws in my assumptions, but clearly, my logic is flawless ;)

11-13-2007 at 04:34 AM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
-Make your hold easy to understand and fun to play. If your mechanisms are arcane and difficult for the players to comprehend, you might end up scaring them off or killing them.
Woah. Our arcane mechanisms could end up killing players? This sounds like a dangerous contest!
Interesting idea. Might take a small stab at this.

BbJ

11-13-2007 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Bingbing wrote:
I included blue doors. That sounds like a really boring room. I'd rate it low given only that description.
Rabscuttle sez:
Pedantic question: trapdoors don't count as doors, right?
That's for you to decide. I haven't specifically specified it as something that will disqualify you.
Also, if eyes are windows to the soul, and windows are essentially doors (especially French windows), do evil eyes count as doors?
Again, that's for you to decide. If you can make a hold without any doors nor trapdoors nor evil eyes that is fun to play, go for it.
Calamarain wrote a long series of deductions.
Good try, buddy, but things that are linguistically similar aren't necessarily similar in terms of DROD. And obviously if that conclusion were true I wouldn't have started this whole contest. :)
bflatjeff wrote: Woah. Our arcane mechanisms could end up killing players? This sounds like a dangerous contest!
Well, the title of the game is Deadly Rooms of Death, and I'm sure you've died in many lynchpin rooms, so I don't get what's surprising here.

Ah, you mean the players. No, only the Beethro avatars will die (possibly).

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-13-2007 10:59 AM]
11-13-2007 at 10:56 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Chaco wrote:
bflatjeff wrote: Woah. Our arcane mechanisms could end up killing players? This sounds like a dangerous contest!
Well, the title of the game is Deadly Rooms of Death, and I'm sure you've died in many lynchpin rooms, so I don't get what's surprising here.

Ah, you mean the players. No, only the Beethro avatars will die (possibly).
I'm assuming that that doesn't mean that you can have impossible rooms?
11-13-2007 at 12:06 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
NiroZ wrote:
Chaco wrote:
No, only the Beethro avatars will die (possibly).
It doesn't mean you can't, either. That might be an interesting catch to use, especially as an alternative to the green door concept.

11-13-2007 at 02:00 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Oh, I'm in

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-13-2007 at 06:10 PM
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
I'm working on mine right now.

11-13-2007 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
schep sed:
NiroZ wrote:
It doesn't mean you can't, either. That might be an interesting catch to use, especially as an alternative to the green door concept.

Yes, you can have impossible rooms if you'd like. If it's fun for the players to play and you think they will rate your hold higher because of the fun of the impossible rooms, go for it.

VIPCOOL asked:
Also, are we allowed to use scripting in the hold?

Yes, yes you are. You can use scripting without restriction in the hold.

11-13-2007 at 08:00 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I can't promise that I'm going to be able to judge the entries in this contest, but I will say that if I do get to judge it, I'll definitely be marking down anyone who chooses to use scripted characters as some sort of non-door blocker. Because that seems to be going against the idea of the contest. No doors should mean no scripted impassable characters in doorways, also.

In my opinion, anyway.

Josh

11-13-2007 at 08:56 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
I'd participate, but my dad won't let me play video games, unless on weekends. :(

11-13-2007 at 11:08 PM
Chaco
You have two weekends between now and December 1st - and nobody said you had to make a large hold, just a good one.

11-13-2007 at 11:16 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Are we allowed to use a potato?
11-14-2007 at 07:10 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Someone Else wrote:

You know, I was really looking for a pun of some sort that crosses a potato with a door of some sort. I even consulted Wikipedia. Then I gave up, because they were all lame. But I'd like to go on record as having at least tried. Sort of.

Josh

11-14-2007 at 07:14 PM
Chaco
Someone Else wrote:

Go ahead. I won't stop you. Somehow I doubt it would earn you a higher score though.

11-14-2007 at 07:37 PM
calamarain
Chaco wrote:
Go ahead. I won't stop you. Somehow I doubt it would earn you a higher score though.
Not true. Anyone who manages to legitimately find a use for a potato in their hold gets bonus marks from me.

11-14-2007 at 11:02 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
calamarain wrote:
Anyone who manages to legitimately find a use for a potato in their hold gets bonus marks from me.
You wouldn't happen to be biased here, would you? ;)

11-15-2007 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Potatoes have eyes, eyes are the windows etc.
11-15-2007 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Briareos wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Anyone who manages to legitimately find a use for a potato in their hold gets bonus marks from me.
You wouldn't happen to be biased here, would you? ;)
I never claimed to be unbiased :P

11-15-2007 at 01:08 AM
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307

File: Conspicuous Absence of a Common Element.hold (5 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Public Domain
First entry, woo.

This is my first decent attempt at an Architecture contest. Hope you like it :)

11-16-2007 at 06:56 PM
Neather2

File: Chachos Dungeon without Doors.hold (2.5 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
And the mine.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 11-16-2007 08:36 PM]
11-16-2007 at 08:36 PM
Neather2
Why, what i need do? and, i know the stairs. Everyone can end the hold when want, that's no a bad thing, i think.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 11-16-2007 09:07 PM]
11-16-2007 at 09:07 PM
Chaco
No, the main challenge is to make a dungeon without doors. You can either try to make "red doors" or "blue doors" without using the actual door tiles, like I am doing, or you can just make a whole bunch of puzzles without using any doors in the hold at all, not even by the stairs, which is what Neather2 has apparently done.

I'd like to say publicly that I am not going to view any of the entries until I have finished my entry, first to see if I come up with any ideas independently that the contestgoers also used, and second to give me an incentive to finish :)

11-16-2007 at 09:28 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
My. I had an idea for a single room for this, but I was like, "meh, I won't win with just that". But if the competition stays as bad as VIPCOOL claims, I just might take a potshot at it.

11-16-2007 at 11:26 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Holds with No Doors (An unofficial Architecture contest for November)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com