Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD Echoes (Adventure)
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.8/10 (72 votes)
σ 2.15
Author Name:geomatrx
Submitted By:geomatrx
Hold Name:MetDROiD Echoes
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:17
Number of Rooms:300
Number of Monsters:4053
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:34 (+44 / -10)
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (+1)  
When you conquer the "battleground of death", you obtain a Temple Key. (Temple Keys look very much like wubbas.) If you've found all three, you can enter the Temple on the level.
12-15-2006 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
This one had me puzzled for a bit too, completely unexpectedly.

You have to use the stairs from U-Man to Maguig's area. Exit Maguig's Desert via the first entrance. Go west, then north. The stairs should be in that room.

Ok, now I'm stuck in the same position as Tokyokid reported (I restored energy to the desert and got access to the forest). The temple entry from the garden is blocked. Following your instructions also doesn't help - I can get into the temple but it's immediately blocked by a statue and there's nowhere for me to go.

12-15-2006 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Click here to view the secret text

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
12-15-2006 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ah. That was rather confusing.

12-15-2006 at 02:32 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I can play this hold again and again, and never fall out of love with it. 10/10, 7 brains of difficulty. Spoiler level: Need beat the hold.

12-15-2006 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
This is absolutely incredible. I played through the other metdroids, and thought they were pretty cool, but this is something else. I actually forget the limitations of DROD, and actually believe that all the incredible scripting you've put in is an actual feature of the editor.. like portable orbs, and all that.
Man.
12-15-2006 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Syntax wrote:
I wouldn't bother playing the original. This hold surpasses it by far.
Pacman > Pong ;)
[sorry, it had to be said]

This seems awesome. I'll start playing as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, I agree that there should be an explanation for giving multiple points of negative karma. Clearly there's something someone doesn't like, but this isn't constructive criticism at all.
12-15-2006 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Alright, I think I'm stuck.

12-15-2006 at 06:51 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I haven't been giving out any bad karma, but if there were any reason to, I imagine it would be for the trapdoors-under-tar and multiple-room-secret-wall mazes. They're not used too much, but the rooms that do are a tidge annoying. Certainly not enough to offset everything good about this hold, though.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 12-15-2006 06:57 AM]
12-15-2006 at 06:56 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
TripleM wrote:
This is absolutely incredible. I played through the other metdroids, and thought they were pretty cool, but this is something else. I actually forget the limitations of DROD, and actually believe that all the incredible scripting you've put in is an actual feature of the editor.. like portable orbs, and all that.
Man.
My feelings exactly. I haven't even completed Prime yet, but I can't leave this one alone. The scripting is sheer genius. The scripted game elements. Wow! The portable orb, gate guards, those eyes. And then there are the mini games. Incredible. Who needs TCB? We have stacks of great new elements right here.

My only complaint is that some rooms are really tedious. Maybe it's just the way I play, but I find myself crossing certain areas, such as the great divide, over and over and over, and it gets a bit much. I'd also rather have seen some more puzzles using the new scripted elements, instead of some of the tedious horde rooms. The evil eye alone has enormous puzzle potential, but it's only used once.

However, that by no means offsets what's so fantastic about this hold, and doesn't justify -7 karma. I really wish whoever is modding it down would tell us why.

zex20913 wrote:
'Nother one. This has mild spoilers for people who aren't yet that far.

12-15-2006 at 09:56 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
You get the Fire Suit after

So, at this point, it's probably okay that you don't have that yet, but I'm not sure how you managed to get to the Winter Factory without beating Wretched Bog... possibly blue gate shenanigans?

12-15-2006 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Chaco wrote:

So, at this point, it's probably okay that you don't have that yet, but I'm not sure how you managed to get to the Winter Factory without beating Wretched Bog... possibly blue gate shenanigans?

Yup, I finally got the Wretched Fire Suit. I don't know how or when I got where, so I can't tell you how I got to the Winter Factory. It's all very hazy. I do remember that after the blue door training I didn't go W until much later when I was desperately searching for somewhere I hadn't been.
12-15-2006 at 12:21 PM
geomatrx
TripleM wrote:
Alright, I think I'm stuck.
michthro wrote:
Chaco wrote:

Yup, I finally got the Wretched Fire Suit. I don't know how or when I got where, so I can't tell you how I got to the Winter Factory. It's all very hazy. I do remember that after the blue door training I didn't go W until much later when I was desperately searching for somewhere I hadn't been.
It'd be interesting to see how many main story items can be avoided, and still go on to finish the hold (one thing about the original games was how many players attempted low%/quick time runs).

I must mention there were a few bugs I want fixed in this hold ASAP, but some of the changes might compromise players progress so far... maybe I won't bother updating it.

g

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 12-15-2006 12:46 PM]
12-15-2006 at 12:38 PM
michthro
And mastered. I'm sorry to say, but those pit rooms sucked. Way overdone. You have to go through the same tedious process eight times in The Pit III. Putting the checkpoints on trapdoors made it really frustrating and annoying. Not that it makes this a bad hold - just a little disappointing finish. The post master wall area is cool, though.
12-15-2006 at 02:09 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Should I be concerned?

I have made some reasonable progress on this hold. I made it through the wilderness...(somehow). Wait. Never mind.

I'm moving around Slugman's Forest now, and I haven't run out of things to do.

But I'm concerned about Temple Gardens: 1E. I've already been there and to 1N1E. But now whenever I reenter 1E the door allowing me to go further north slams shut and so I can't get back to 1N1E. It looks as though there are other ways to get there, eventually. But I'm worried that I've somehow hosed myself and that I won't be able to drop the blue doors without getting back to 1N1E, which I can't do.

So, am I in trouble, or can I keep going?

Josh

12-15-2006 at 02:21 PM
geomatrx
jbluestein wrote:
Should I be concerned?
No.

MetDROiD Echoes
12-15-2006 at 02:35 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I am enjoying the hold so far. Of course, I've no idea how far that is, but what far there is, I'm enjoying it.

The Secret Rooms level is looking to be quite cool but...
a) I keep accidentally skipping the level text - am I going to miss anything important?
b) Most of the rooms on that level are uninteresting and probably should be marked as such highscorewise.
12-15-2006 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rabscuttle wrote:
I am enjoying the hold so far. Of course, I've no idea how far that is, but what far there is, I'm enjoying it.

The Secret Rooms level is looking to be quite cool but...
a) I keep accidentally skipping the level text - am I going to miss anything important?

You're missing story elements. That said, you can always re-enter the room and read it.

12-15-2006 at 02:51 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
And let me just say: Temple Gardens 1N1W is a truly evil puzzle.

(*shudder*)

Josh

12-15-2006 at 03:29 PM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
I'm going to consider myself done with this hold. There's still a final temple key and a few secrets out there somewhere, but I don't see myself ever having the patience to find them. So, comments:

Fantastic and really epic piece of work. The statue system worked much better than the code system of Prime, and I didn't find myself wandering around wondering where to go next nearly as often, which were the two things that made me really dislike Prime in the end.

The rooms themselves were high quality, but I thought there was a very large variance in difficulty. King Armin's Fort in particular seemed like a real mix of trivial rooms with some of the hardest in the hold. Maybe I was doing things out of order - I did get the keys backwards, 3 then 2 then 1.

The scripting was superb in general, and only the special training ones gave me any trouble. (What was the point of those - I never used that training, did I?) I never found myself wondering how to trigger some door or whatever, which is remarkable given how much scripting the hold had.

My biggest complaint is that too many rooms just aren't exploration friendly, rooms that need 500+ moves to get through even after they're conquered - or that can never be conquered - which I found very annoying given how much exploration the hold expected from me.

Overall, great hold, and incredibly creative. Recommended to everyone to try it out - no promises that everyone will love it, but it's unique enough that you really have to see it yourself to find out.
12-15-2006 at 06:10 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
zex20913 wrote:
This one had me puzzled for a bit too, completely unexpectedly.

You have to use the stairs from U-Man to Maguig's area. Exit Maguig's Desert via the first entrance. Go west, then north. The stairs should be in that room.
Thanks a bunch, zex! :D
12-15-2006 at 08:48 PM
RoboBob3000
For whatever reason, I don't hear any musical notes in Winter Factory 2n1e. Yes, I have the neccessary item.

It's still easy to unlock though, since you can see the empty speech boxes for each note. I wonder if this was something that was overlooked.

12-15-2006 at 09:50 PM
geomatrx
I honestly don't know. It was definatly there at some point. I go into the script and there is a bunch of blank stuff there now :/

MetDROiD Echoes
12-15-2006 at 10:03 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'd like to play this hold, but I will not play this hold until the bugs are fixed. I will not tolerate a repeat of my experiences in KDD level 8. That was quite traumatic for me as a budding player, and it has left scars on my DRODing psyche - scars, I tell you!
Er, sorry, got a bit carried away there... :blush but my point remains.

12-15-2006 at 11:42 PM
RoboBob3000
Ahh, sweet mastery!

A very, very satisfying hold. That's a great vision you have behind the master wall there, and the mechanism through which you achieve it is fantastic to watch!

12-16-2006 at 12:05 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Hey, I'm looking for the last secret (Septence South, Quince East) before I go down the Pit Gateway Stairs, save the world, etc. so I can go past the Master Wall.

Could somebody PM me the location of the room I need to look in so I don't have to look over the entire hold again?

12-16-2006 at 03:49 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
In Wretched Bog, 1N2E, I was able to kill the guard without the decoy. Is this intended, or are you supposed to access the decoy first?

-Noah

My stuff:

12-16-2006 at 09:24 AM
michthro
Wow! How? That's definitely unintended.
12-16-2006 at 09:36 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133

File: ME Wretched Bog 1N2E Victory.demo (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's a demo.

-Noah

My stuff:

12-16-2006 at 09:39 AM
michthro
Nifty!

I don't think it's a problem, though. It only gives you premature access to a key and a secret. Not as if you can beat the Bog before you're supposed to.
12-16-2006 at 09:52 AM
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD Echoes (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com