Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (Adventure)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (36 votes)
σ 1.85
Author Name:Pilchard VIII
Submitted By:Pilchard VIII
Hold Name:KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:18
Number of Rooms:141
Number of Monsters:3241
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (0)  
..spoilt is actually a word, I think.
11-13-2006 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Spoilt is the British version of Spoiled.

11-13-2006 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Just when you think you've got everything figured out, the Queen throws you for a loop. :(

11-13-2006 at 03:28 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (+2)  
Yes, it's true. The English Queen spawns new spellings every thirty turns.
11-13-2006 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Watch it...

11-13-2006 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Watch it...
Or what? Her children will eat me? I'm too literate for that.

11-14-2006 at 01:49 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Watch it...
Naw.

She'll sic Daniel CraigJames Bond at you...

11-14-2006 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Jatopian wrote:

How dare you! You know perfectly well I'm male.

11-14-2006 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
How dare you! You know perfectly well I'm male.
Tahnan talked about "The English Queen" spawning new spellings every 30 turns - so that is not secretly you in drag? O:-

np: Kettel - The Second 2006 (My Dogan)

11-14-2006 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Uh-oh! Rumbled!

11-14-2006 at 04:45 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
English Queen: ...and remember, bairns, the Really Big Pen is mightier than the Really Big Sword.
Beethro: Oh yeah? *brandishes aforementioned sword*

11-14-2006 at 11:14 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Please tell me how the scripting works for the different rooms! I don't like to not know the rules for the game I am playing. A huge hold with some good rooms, some rooms I didn't like at all, and lots of rooms which didn't require me to think. Not really my type of hold, but I'm impressed nevertheless. The first hold I would label a quality hold which I didn't really enjoy. I'm going to give it a seven for funraiting, and a four for difficulty. It's definitly a hold worth checking out.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-26-2006 09:55 PM]
11-26-2006 at 09:46 PM
Tahnan
I hate to be a bother, but: the stairs in the Entrance of the Upper Floor end the hold. Which is a serious frickin' pain in the ass for those of us trying to backtrack because we skipped one challenge early on. (The fact that a lot of rooms aren't backtrackable doesn't help.)

[Edit: really doesn't help. Doesn't help as in, I just lowered my overall rating on this hold by a point, because after backtracking a level and a half to get back to Lower-Mid 3N, where I'd inadvertantly missed the challenge, I found that I then couldn't get back through 4N. Which means I have to restore to somewhere in the middle of Lower-Mid and replay two levels or so...which is No Fun At All.]

[Last edited by Tahnan at 11-29-2006 07:36 AM]
11-29-2006 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (+1)  
I think you're talking about the original King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon, not the sequel. Which does indeed need more people bugging Pilchard for an update.
11-29-2006 at 08:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Grrrrr. I thought I'd picked out the right topic. Apologies.
11-29-2006 at 08:51 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Almost there....

I've been doing some tidying and noticed on room missing for this hold. Unfortunately it is for a level I haven't visited "Gateway to the Past". I've explored 100% of all the other levels, so I'm assuming I've missed a staircase somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Steve.
03-13-2007 at 10:12 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (+1)  
It's accessible from the first level.

Click here to view the secret text

03-13-2007 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Thanks Chaco. I had already been in that room, but didn't notice the stairs on my first visit.

Steve.
03-13-2007 at 10:43 AM
Pilchard VIII
Huh? Why did this post get modded down?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11161&page=1#122582
I don't get it.

03-16-2007 at 03:37 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Huh? Why did this post get modded down?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11161&page=1#122582
I don't get it.
Maybe it was the usage of the word 'execution'.
03-16-2007 at 04:34 PM
Pilchard VIII
Perhaps, but it's been there for so long, why mod it down now?

03-16-2007 at 07:38 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I dunno, perhaps beta testers shouldn't receive the blame for bugs? I betcha one of your testers just now read that. Just a hunch.

03-16-2007 at 10:43 PM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (+2)  
I was reading through this thread the other day, and that particular post jumped out at me. Frankly, it seems kind of arrogant and flippant, and it defies what I feel is a primary strength in the DROD community, the willingness of people to take time to assist one another and the returned acknowledgment of their patience. Considering that no one is obligated to test your holds and that they gain nothing by playing through your rooms looking for bugs except for whatever pleasures they get from finding flaws and possibly a scroll somewhere with their names on it, it seems ungrateful to the entire process to say that your testers weren't "good enough". Your hold might have needed more testing, maybe you would have benefitted from having more testers, but I would say that that post makes it seem that you are blaming volunteers for flaws that are, factually speaking, your fault, since you are the one who made the room. Additionally, the wrong word on the scroll is outside the realm of what beta-testers are generally expected to do. They are spending their leisure time ensuring that the structure of your hold is sound, and it seems disheartening for their kindnesses to be ignored because they weren't busy copy-editing. The way you phrase things there, it is as if you believe beta-testing for one of your holds is a great honor that only the most elite should aspire to, and that kind of sentiment rubs me the wrong way, especially seeing the following posts with comments like, "I did good, didn't I? Please say I did." They call to mind abusive marriages where the battered wife can't leave because she's always searching for approval from her overempowered husband.

I'm not saying that you actually felt that way -- morally superior to the slaves you employ to toil in your architecture -- but because that was how it sounded, and because I really hate hierarchical structures (particularly in the realm of leisure activities), I had to mark it down a bit. I'll look for a post of yours I like and mark it up if that will make you feel better.
03-17-2007 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Abbyzzmal wrote:
tl;dr

speaking as one of his beta testers, my opinion on what you have said here is as such

shut up it was funny :(

03-17-2007 at 06:34 AM
Pilchard VIII
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (-2)  
Banjooie wrote:
speaking as one of his beta testers, my opinion on what you have said here is as such

shut up it was funny :(
You see? Proof that I do have at leat 1 friend on these forums! ;)

On a more serious note, that was a sarcastic remark. I thought you would have had the sense to realise that. I think more testers would be out of the question, I had twelve. And I owe the amount of success that each hold had because of my testers. I'd like to think that I try to make things interesting for the team. Like at the moment, when they test KPVIIID3, they can, for every bug that has not been mentioned, gain a +1. Also, I am considering adding a few rooms after the beta testing is finished, to ensure that even they have something new. I'm not saying that is totally unique, but it costs nothing to keep good relations with people.

But hey, at the end of the day, it's only a post, right?

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 03-17-2007 07:32 AM]
03-17-2007 at 07:32 AM
Banjooie
You do? Who is th--

oh.
03-17-2007 at 07:44 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (+3)  
I didn't mean to sound like I was indicting you, Pilchard. I saw that it was a joke. I didn't really think you wanted to execute your beta-testers.

I would have taken much more serious action if I had. :[

Also, I tried to make it clear that I didn't think that any of the things I said actually applied to your situation. I was judging the post purely as a post, isolated as a ecosystem purely to itself, bearing nothing but a symbolic relationship to the world at large. I didn't like the symbol. Fair enough?

Banjooie, someday I'm going to write a post that you will read. I'll make that an aspiration! But since Pilchard asked for an explanation, I thought it would be courteous to provide as in depth an explanation as possible, which resulted, I'm afraid, in something we literature majors would call a paragraph. These are quite trecherous to the uninitiated, and must be approached carefully.

Perhaps I should start to mimic Anson
so that my posts are less intimidating
and easier on the eye.

Actually, scratch that.

From here on out, each time you hear a word
from me, it will be stretched to fit a line
of five iambic feet. I hope that this
will do the trick and help you hear my mind.
It worked for Shakespeare, I am told, and so
I'll let it work for me, and then, who knows,
some day we may communicate at large.

[Last edited by Abbyzzmal at 03-17-2007 08:25 AM]
03-17-2007 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
ahahaha

oh man

I totally get what's going on here now. However, I refuse to go into it indepth on account of thread hijacking.

03-17-2007 at 08:51 AM
Pilchard VIII
I'm confused. Who's playing the part of Shakespeare in this conversation? :P

03-19-2007 at 03:36 PM
Tahnan
Thou thoughtless knave! The Bard shall play himself,
For as he is immortal, he lives on
(Though I admit, it may be as a ghost.)
And should his ghost live on, then it may post
Upon this very board; and when it does,
Then shall it lay the smackdown upon you.

03-20-2007 at 06:34 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : KPVIIID2 : Return to the spire (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com