Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (Adventure)
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (43 votes)
σ 2.22
Author Name:Pilchard VIII
Submitted By:Pilchard VIII
Hold Name:King Pilchard VIII\'s Dungeon
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:20
Number of Rooms:159
Number of Monsters:3819
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+7 / -6)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: King Pilchard VIIIs Dungeon.hold (183.2 KB)
Downloaded 2515 times.
License: Other
icon King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon  
This is a hold about what happened when Beethro was led to King Pilchard VIII's Castle. It has an interesting challenge system and at the end, there are many extras, including hold art, abandoned holds and an alternate ending... Thanks to the many testers, Schik, Ezlo, Jeff_Ray..., wallu, Krishh, NiroZ, Banjooie, coppro, Syntax, MeckMeck GRE and Doom.

05-02-2006 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (0)  
Nice Hold, but there is a major bug inthe challenge system! First the stairs you use to get to the challenge end the hold if you use them again, that is when u decide not to do the challenge. Furthermore is there a major problem with the first challenge it smply dont work.

FURTHERMORE: some checkpoints would be awesome... :-)

Apart from that nice work, i will wait with my rating till later when i have seen more...

\\\\Geiler

[Last edited by Geiler Hengst at 05-02-2006 07:37 PM]
05-02-2006 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
Hey, could you reexport and upload? I'd like to get my beta version enabled for CaravelNet and I don't want to play through again. Thanks. Also, I think those bugs may actually exist. However, I'm supposed to be doing homework. :shifty
05-02-2006 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Nice hold so far including very decent scripting (the ring fight in particular is a nice feature).

As was mentioned before, the first challenge doesn't seem to work however. Also, it seems Lower Floor 3N 1W is not currently solveable - exiting is impossible due to the positioning of the trapdoor...
05-03-2006 at 04:16 AM
NaturalWay42
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
I have played upto Lower Floor: 3N1W - Its a great hold. I can't wait to complete the remainder of this hold ...

05-03-2006 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I should point out that ALL rooms are solvable. Because I myself have played through every room countless times, and they all work. Don't give up! Coppro, I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks for the advice Geiler. I'll try and fix this soon, but I don't know when Curse that GCSE coursework!

05-03-2006 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
What I mean is, I have the beta version still, but I can't update because it is the same version. (Which, by the way, I have cleared entirely). As a result, I have two options: Wait for you to update, thus allowing me to redownload, or delete the hold and start again.
05-03-2006 at 04:22 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
coppro wrote:
What I mean is, I have the beta version still, but I can't update because it is the same version. (Which, by the way, I have cleared entirely). As a result, I have two options: Wait for you to update, thus allowing me to redownload, or delete the hold and start again.
The beta hold has been removed now that this hold is final. If you restart DROD it should recognize this hold as non-beta.

05-03-2006 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I should point out that ALL rooms are solvable. Because I myself have played through every room countless times, and they all work. Don't give up! Coppro, I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks for the advice Geiler. I'll try and fix this soon, but I don't know when Curse that GCSE coursework!
Unfortunately not.
Lower Floor: 3N1W is not completable.

I believe the tar is a late addition, and unfortunately this renders exiting the room impossible.

Quickest fix would be to get rid of the trapdoor at the mouth of the tar...
05-03-2006 at 05:08 PM
Syntax
Schik wrote:
coppro wrote:
The beta hold has been removed now that this hold is final. If you restart DROD it should recognize this hold as non-beta.
Yeah, I had to delete the beta version from within DROD, and then download the version from within the site.
This did lose any progress though which is what I think coppro wishes to avoid.
05-03-2006 at 05:10 PM
coppro
Worked fine just now that the beta was gone. Also, as a side note, DROD thinks all my demos are uploaded. I did a Full Upload, but (of course) that didn't work. Any suggestions?
05-03-2006 at 05:17 PM
Syntax
coppro wrote:
Worked fine just now that the beta was gone. Also, as a side note, DROD thinks all my demos are uploaded. I did a Full Upload, but (of course) that didn't work. Any suggestions?
Wouldn't doing a full upload of beta demos into a live hold be considered cheating? I think beta testing already gives the advantage of knowing how to complete the rooms, or at least giving time to practice. I don't think it fair that all entrance rooms, for example, should go to the first beta tester who tested the hold...

Thoughts?
05-03-2006 at 05:25 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Syntax, a question like that definitely deserves its own thread. It would be too much of a threadjack to continue discussing it here.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-03-2006 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Ok, apologies.

Lower Floor: 3N1W is not completable ;)
05-03-2006 at 05:51 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
the 375-turn mud-mother run around challenge has an unintended solution: complete the room (with more than 375 moves), exit the way you came in. re-enter the room and the north exit opens for you, allowing you to "get credit" for beating the room by killing the roach anyway.

one fix might be to move the brain 1 east and put some yellow door around it, triggered by the same orb that goes off if you successfully kill the mother and babies in 375 turns. if you feel that would reshape the room too much, you could put a roach SW of the "voice" character with a door just south of it.

[Last edited by silver at 05-03-2006 06:49 PM]
05-03-2006 at 06:38 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
As far as I can tell, the trapdoor is the late addition--I remember doing it just fine with the tar there. Shows me to idle on this forum a bit.
05-04-2006 at 09:31 AM
Pilchard VIII
Okay, I've had to update this hold THREE times in the knack of half an hour. Whew!

05-04-2006 at 04:45 PM
Syntax
It doesn't appear "updated" in-game... ?

[EDIT]

Aplogies. Restarted DROD and now it does :)

[EDIT]

But all the high scores have disappeared :(

[Last edited by Syntax at 05-04-2006 05:24 PM]
05-04-2006 at 05:14 PM
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
Awesome hold... i played a lot of it so far... especially the scripting is real fun... i love the room with the invisable guards....

Plaease just add some more checkpoints next time!
05-04-2006 at 11:06 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Excellent hold! Very interesting and I loved the Ring Fight. But, yeah, this really needs some checkpoints; I am at the Castle - Ground Floor 2N1W and I just beat all the eyes and the brains and I died at the rattlesnakes because I was babysitting my godsister and I got thirsty, so I left the computer room to get a drink. When I come back, I see her on the computer playing DROD. When I got over there, it was too late and she ran into a "blue line thingy" thinking it was a power-up. Apparently not. Anyway, I would have been a lot happier if there was a checkpoint there. Keep designing though, nice hold!

-Jeremy

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 05-05-2006 02:40 AM]
05-05-2006 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Yup, Really good hold. And I really see no need of checkpoints here... It was quite easy though. And how in the hell am I supposed to kill that #$@%@ Slayer in the challenge? WEll, maybe the problem is, that I've never got a chance to play the full version of JTRH... :D. But some advice with this problem would be nice. :D Anyway, great work again

ps. Dah, I've found solution on the forum :D. And so the greatest enemy dies...

Ps2. ... Might spoil a bit.
Click here to view the secret text

This IS spoiling

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:42 PM : Going to the keep]
05-05-2006 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
skell wrote:
Yup, Really good hold. And I really see no need of checkpoints here... It was quite easy though. And how in the hell am I supposed to kill that #$@%@ Slayer in the challenge? WEll, maybe the problem is, that I've never got a chance to play the full version of JTRH... :D. But some advice with this problem would be nice. :D Anyway, great work again, and

Keep Going :shifty.

ps. Dah, I've found solution on the forum :D. And so the greatest enemy dies...

Ps2. ... Might spoil a bit.

This IS spoiling

Also, there is no hints whatsoever in JtRH toward the killing of the Slayer. And the alternate ending ends the hold *hint hint*
05-05-2006 at 02:22 PM
Banjooie
Actually, this is about as spoonfed as you can /get/ how to kill a slayer, which is why I let it slide. BUT, as a super secret hint:

05-05-2006 at 05:09 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (+1)  
This is a very solid medium-difficulty hold. Nicely done, Pilchard.

In the credits, the stairs to the alternate ending and the wacky adventure end the hold.

05-05-2006 at 08:58 PM
Pilchard VIII
Not any more. Thanks for pointing this out!

05-05-2006 at 10:06 PM
coppro
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Not any more. Thanks for pointing this out!

Except that the ending is Deep Spaces and the entry is Iceworks. Once again, the curse of making-changes-after-the-final-test whaps you on the head.
05-05-2006 at 10:23 PM
Pilchard VIII
Oh no, that was intentional. Iceworks gives the feel of night, Deep spaces gives the feel of dawn or morning.

05-05-2006 at 11:04 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I'm enjoying this hold quite a bit. The puzzles are pretty manageable (although I don't get how we were supposed to get the word from the clues in the room with the three colored orbs).

I like it a lot. I won't rate it until I've finished it (or come closer to finishing it) -- I'm just starting the Middle Floor right now.

But wanted to hop on the bandwagon while it's still cool to say good job!

05-09-2006 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Scarily, I got it from the riddles just fine. Actually, the orbs themselves are /kind/ of a clue...

05-09-2006 at 08:14 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
OK, I've finished this one. Good hold construction, some nice puzzles, all with a fairly consistent level of difficulty.

Some of the artwork was pretty impressive.

A few minor nits:

1) Spelling errors in scripted text bug me. Maybe it's just me.

But that said, I give the hold an 8 for fun and a 4 for difficulty. Good jub!

05-10-2006 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com