Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : pushing moves & tokens
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
IP: Logged
icon pushing moves & tokens (+1)  
Okay maybe an oversight rather than a bug but I thought this best fits under this topic anyway.

Alex Diener realized in his youtube let's plays that pushing moves don't activate saving spots. Playing around the editor I verified that this is also true for tokens, which is a slightly more serious matter.

I find this a little counterintuitive, but I understand it's probably too late to change this. But architects watch out, forcing the player to use a token might not work because of this.

01-05-2015 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: pushing moves & tokens (0)  
This is because the player and other pushed things are treated as objects while being pushed.

This doesn't seem to prevent triggering fuses however.

01-05-2015 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Just to be clear, we're talking about a player being pushed with a pushing weapon, right? Not when the player is pushing a keg or mirror (?)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-05-2015 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: pushing moves & tokens (+1)  
That seems indeed what Kallor meant. I am getting some interesting results testing this. What I found so far:

- The player pushing a mimic/decoy/etc onto a token does not activate it.
- A mimic or other entity pushing the player onto a token does activate it.

- The player pushing a mimic onto a checkpoint does not activate it.
- The player rotating their sword making a mimic push them onto a checkpoint does not activate it either,
- However: the player taking a step and then being pushed onto the token on the same turn does activate the checkpoint.
- Also note that the player stepping onto a checkpoint and then being pushed off by the mimic on the same turn does not activate it. It does make sense only to activate a checkpoint when you stand on it at the end of the turn, because that is when the state of the room is actually saved.

I'm not sure what was intended, but I agree with Kallor that the most intuitive behaviour would be to always activate tokens. For checkpoints it would be ok to only activate them at the end of the turn, but still activate no matter how the player landed on them.

01-05-2015 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I wonder if this is related to this issue that was giving me so many scripting headaches.

01-05-2015 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
This is a fix for my bug. It involved being pushed off time tokens on the turn that you stepped on them. The game would instantly crash if you tried to return to them. These might be unforeseen side effects.

I wish that man would stay away
01-06-2015 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872

File: Pushing Checkpoint Inconsistency.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: Public Domain
The fix for 5.0.2 is currently bugged. See the attached hold.

07-26-2015 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
bomber50 wrote:

What is CCW?

best wishes,
adS

07-29-2015 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
Counter-clockwise. The way you turn with the Q key.
07-29-2015 at 03:16 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Most likely known as "anti-clockwise" in adS' part of the Eighth.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-29-2015 at 07:51 PM
adS
Rank Points: 214
disoriented wrote:
Most likely known as "anti-clockwise" in adS' part of the Eighth.

Well we mathematicians call it positive.

We even call 180 degrees pi :)

adS

07-29-2015 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
bomber50 wrote:
Unless I am missing something the both cases are intended behavior:

Case #1, CCW -> Restart:
- The game starts, Turn 0, nothing happens.
- CCW move, Turn 1, Beethro is pushed around, at some point the checkpoint (24, 18) is triggered, Beethro ends up on (16, 18).
- Restart, since the previous checkpoint was triggered on Turn 1 and we are right now on Turn 1, restart back to the beginning. Player is taken back to (25, 18), back to Turn 0.

Case #2, CCW -> Wait -> Restart:
- The game starts, Turn 0, nothing happens.
- CCW move, Turn 1, Beethro is pushed around, at some point the checkpoint (24, 18) is triggered, Beethro ends up on (16, 18).
- Wait, Turn 2, nothing happens.
- Restart, since it's turn 2 right now we are taken back to Turn 1 when we hit the last checkpoint, player is moved to the end moment of Turn 1, (16,18).

I think the issue is that it looks weird for the checkpoint to be triggered at (25, 18) yet the player ends up on (16,18) but it's all intended - it's not important WHERE is the checkpoint you've triggered. What is important is the end state of the turn the checkpoint that was triggered because, internally, restarting to a checkpoint replays all of the moves from the beginning of the room up until the turn when the checkpoint was triggered.

Well... Unless the room is demonstrating something that has already been fixed in 5.0.2.1004 and I just can't see it, so please correct me if I am wrong!

07-29-2015 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Yes, it just looks weird.
07-29-2015 at 10:15 PM
skell
Alright, then that is intended! Can you confirm this thread is fixed then?

07-29-2015 at 10:46 PM
bomber50
Confirmed in 5.0.2.1004.
08-10-2015 at 10:18 PM
Dragon Fogel
Bump to request clarification. So it seems this was settled for checkpoints, but I don't see any comment that the current behavior is intended for tokens.

To reiterate things said before: that behavior is that a pushed mimic or decoy does not activate tokens, but a pushed player does. This has significant consequences. It would be more intuitive (and less prone to breaking rooms) if a pushed double always activated tokens. I can't think of a room in a published hold that depends on this behavior.

But if this is intended behavior, oh well. I just want to make sure it is.
08-11-2016 at 06:39 PM
skell
icon Re: pushing moves & tokens (+2)  
I agree it makes sense that pushes should be consistent. I don't foresee this breaking "too many" things but who knows? Anyhow, fixed PR

10-09-2020 at 11:34 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Just to be clear, does pushing a double onto a token now activate the token? This will definitely break a bunch of rooms in Entry Point, and probably in other holds that have been published in the 4 years since Fogel's last comment.

If this is definitely what's happening then that's fine. I'd just like extra confirmation that everything didn't break when you did this and that I need to be changing some of my rooms.

10-09-2020 at 01:38 PM
skell
Yes, that's the idea. I understand that it might break some stuff and ultimately we will see the scope of damage done by this when the test spider runs and rechecks all the demos.

If it breaks some rooms in holds that are still in development I don't very much mind, they are in development for a reason :).
If it breaks a lot of rooms then... we'll have to make a call whether to keep the change or revert it. So don't be too hasty with changing rooms in developed holds yet.

Usual disclaimer that I am open to discuss the change and can be override by Mike.

[Last edited by skell at 10-09-2020 03:00 PM]
10-09-2020 at 03:00 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Please don't change this. It's been established for a long time now; changing it will break a lot of rooms; it's not obviously wrong; and it has a lot of puzzle potential that would be lost.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-09-2020 03:35 PM]
10-09-2020 at 03:35 PM
mauvebutterfly
Just did a test with lemmings in the editor to test how the pushing rules apply to npc characters that activate tokens.

Lemmings normally activate tokens when they step on to them, but when pushed onto a token they do not activate them.

I'm not sure if this is something that could be changed with scripting, or if it's a hardcoded engine thing, but it kind of makes sense that npc characters would work the same as doubles too if we're changing this.

10-09-2020 at 03:50 PM
mauvebutterfly
Talking in chat, and skell said that the change would be for both doubles and npcs.

I personally think that doing both or neither is better than just changing one of them, so I was happy to hear that.

I guess I lean towards not changing this behaviour at all at this point since it feels more like "behaviour" than "bug" to me, and I'm already used to how things currently work. I'm not too bothered either way though.

10-09-2020 at 03:59 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
Fixing this 'bug' I'd wager would break a sizeable number of rooms.

It also, as far as I can tell, would literally make a room I made impossible. See the secretted tags below. I only remember this room in particular as I made it, I'm sure there are a bunch of other rooms out there which will be rendered impossible by this change.
Click here to view the secret text

Changing this would make a precedent that we are happy to just go about changing established behaviour which has been used by people and has potential to break lots of rooms for no reason that I can tell, other than that it feels slightly strange. This is not a QoL issue or any sort of obvious breaking of otherwise established DROD rules. The purpose of bugfixing is to fix bugs, not change behaviour that we don't agree with.

Edit: this is in no way intended to be a dig at the amazing work Skell is doing trying to fix bugs and introduce new features to the game. I feel strongly about this issue however, hence my tone in the above message.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 10-09-2020 04:47 PM]
10-09-2020 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Noting this because it came up in chat: If we want consistency, it might break fewer things to instead make it so pushing the player doesn't activate tokens.

The current behavior in that regard is mainly useful for enforcement mechanisms that use tokens to prevent the player from stepping in a particular place but don't block off monsters, but 1) there are other ways to do the same thing (including crudely with scripting) and 2) this particular one isn't very common (at least not in rooms that also have pushing weapons).
10-09-2020 at 04:40 PM
skell
icon Re: pushing moves & tokens (+2)  
navithmastero wrote:
Changing this would make a precedent that we are happy to just go about changing established behaviour which has been used by people and has potential to break lots of rooms for no reason that I can tell, other than that it feels slightly strange.
I disagree very strongly. There are good reasons to claim this behavior is inconsistent (a. pushed player triggers tokens; b. moving doubles trigger tokens; c. besides tokens, pushing triggers every other room interaction I can think of at the moment). There have also been precedents with changing established behavior (tar baby spawn order is the biggest one I recall) and if you look at all the things we're fixing for 5.1.1 there are a couple of behavior changes that, I'd say, are similar on the scale of inconsistency. I usually try to judge behaviors by their discoverability, (which in this case I'd say is mixed), consistency (which in this can I'd say is bad), puzzle potential (I think both ways have merit) and intuitiveness (which in this case I'd say is low) - that's why I pursued this bugfix in the first place. I digress.

The fact it can break a lot of published rooms is an actual problem that I think is much more worth pursuing. Or that it will introduce a lot of unintended solutions.

Ultimately though, it's not up to me to make a decision- I feel like a lot of people have been trying to convince me to change my mind in the chat, and I want it's best to keep the meat of the discussion to this thread here as to not rob the people who are not in the chat from being heard. :)

And while I could force my opinion by just deleting the commits (chances are no one would have the time to reinvent the changes) I'd rather leave it up to Mike now. If it was up to me I'd keep things as they are given the weight of the arguments so far.

But the code is written, PR done, I'll leave it up to Mike to make the final verdict!

Btw, I'd appreciate feedback on other fixes that modify behavior, there are many changes making its way to 5.1.1

10-09-2020 at 05:27 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: pushing moves & tokens (+5)  
I appreciate the discussion points here, and it appears there has been an extended conversation on this topic as well in Chat that I've missed.

My two cents, fwiw:

It's not by design that npc/double pushed entities don't activate tokens when they otherwise would, either by placement or independent movement. I consider this an oversight in the implementation, not merely a strange behavior. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there haven't been any definitive statements made to the contrary at any time.

I personally wouldn't agree that rooms where npcs/doubles are pushed onto tokens, but don't activate them, is an established behavior. Though development hasn't been too active for a few years, this topic has been an open bug report. I do value and respect architects' creations and it's a shame when rooms are broken by logic changes. However, there is a long-established precedent that rooms built on buggy behavior are at risk of being broken when the bugs are fixed.

I understand these need to be considered on a per-case basis. If there are rooms in Entry Point that rely on the current logic, we do need to consider it is possible this logic will change.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-12-2020 at 05:24 PM
Dragon Fogel
There was a discussion in chat a few years back that seemed to settle things in favor of maintaining the current behavior - skell was involved in that discussion but I suppose he's forgotten about it. I only vaguely remember it myself, so I can't really offer any more detail than that.

I should note that one major effect of the current behavior is that it is impossible to change a decoy's weapon after the decoy has been placed. This also applies to scripted entities that activate tokens and do not move, such as spinning mimics.

This is used as part of the enforcement in The Island of Doom. Possibly other rooms involving decoys and weapon tokens, though I'm not sure offhand.

Oversight or not, this would not be a small change. It's also not obviously wrong - pushed entities other than the player get stunned, so it could be explained as "being stunned by a push prevents you from activating a token". (However, pushed NPCs that cannot be stunned don't activate tokens either, so that seems reasonable to change; I doubt that would have any impact on published rooms.)

Given the potential impact at this point and the fact that it's at least debatable as to what the correct behavior would be, I think it would be best not to change the current behavior.
10-12-2020 at 05:45 PM
skell
Someone in the chat mentioned that changing this would affect hundreds of published rooms. Could someone spend the time to try to gauge the real scope of this change?

10-12-2020 at 07:11 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
skell wrote:
Someone in the chat mentioned that changing this would affect hundreds of published rooms. Could someone spend the time to try to gauge the real scope of this change?
As an example roomsearch gives over 100 results for rooms with a staff token and either a mimic or a decoy potion. Add other tokens and pre-placed NPCs and hundreds of potentially affected rooms sounds about right. How many would actually break is hard to say. Looking at random room images it doesn't seem like most of them would be affected much, but in this many rooms it's almost guaranteed that there will be some breaks.
Dragon Fogel wrote:
This is used as part of the enforcement in The Island of Doom. Possibly other rooms involving decoys and weapon tokens, though I'm not sure offhand.
For the record I'll have no hard feelings if this is changed. This room is already broken in other ways due to the so-called "succor" trick as mentioned here. Not to mention I don't have that strong of an emotional attachment to it.
10-12-2020 at 07:40 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks for the additional context. Super helpful!

What do we feel next steps are? Merge the change, evaluate room breakage, and back out the change if the impact is subjectively egregious?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-13-2020 11:39 PM]
10-13-2020 at 11:39 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : pushing moves & tokens
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com