Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Vote for your 2007 indie Game of the Year! (at GameTunnel)
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5065
IP: Logged
icon Vote for your 2007 indie Game of the Year! (+1)  
Vote for your favorite game! DROD: The City Beneath is a nominee! :yay

I think DROD has a good chance, even with other nice games like Aquaria and Aveyond on the list.

Here's a link to the voting topic. The poll will run until December 28th.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-10-2007 06:23 PM]
12-10-2007 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Vote for your 2007 indie Game of the Year! (+1)  
This is really a way to measure the size and enthusiasm of a community surrounding a game, since pretty much every indie developer on the list will exhort their players to vote. Believe me, GameTunnel fully expects this behavior and its cool. When we won the 2005 player's choice award this way, it was great! It brought lots of extra traffic and DROD players. It would be extra impressive if we could win the award a second time, and given our history, I think it's entirely possible.

So if you like DROD: The City Beneath better than any other game on that list, I semi-desperately encourage you to go vote.

-Erik

12-10-2007 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
mrimer wrote:
Here's a link to the voting topic.
Syntax has voted :)
12-10-2007 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Now begins the undignified period of repeatedly hitting F5 on that page to see what the latest tally is.

-Erik

12-10-2007 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Vote for your 2007 indie Game of the Year! (0)  
And I've just voted too :)

12-10-2007 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
I'm SO going to curse Aquaria if it turns out good enough that I want to change my vote (not likely to happen though)... :)
12-10-2007 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Voted. I think there are quite a few deserving games on that list, but if Fashion Cents Deluxe ends up winning, I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

12-10-2007 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
I'm with eytanz on that one! Anyway, my vote is in.

12-10-2007 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I have also voted for DROD, and share eytanz' sentiments about Fashion Cents Deluxe. Come on people, participate; we're awesome!

12-10-2007 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Am I the only one who is sure that the number of members GameTunnel has will double or so because of this poll? :)

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 12-10-2007 08:58 PM]
12-10-2007 at 08:57 PM
ErikH2000
Yeah, you have to do a quick sign-up to vote. For the record, I've never been spammed by them in the 3 years or so I've had an account.

-Erik

12-10-2007 at 11:01 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You had to sign up 2 years ago too, and I'm sure they are happy for the traffic. As Erik said, fan site "ballot-stuffing" is encouraged because they get more exposure...

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 12-10-2007 11:40 PM]
12-10-2007 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
hmmm, 29 votes behind the lead. C'mon people!
12-11-2007 at 12:09 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I voted for us. I am disappointed to report that we are still 26 votes behind the lead, and worse yet, 8 votes behind Fashion Cents Deluxe.

12-11-2007 at 02:57 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
My vote is in. We are 21 votes behind the lead, and 2 votes behind Galcon (and 4 votes behind Fashion Cents Deluxe).

12-11-2007 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Maurog wrote:
My vote is in. We are 21 votes behind the lead, and 2 votes behind Galcon (and 4 votes behind Fashion Cents Deluxe).
Don't lose hope. It's early, and we still have...

1. The Illumination
2. Marquee announcement

Hmmm. I'll go do the marquee.

-Erik

12-11-2007 at 08:12 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I was already signed up from last time and I voted once again for DROD :thumbsup :fun :cool

12-11-2007 at 08:56 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
My vote is in! Though you got it all backwards, a vote for Beethro is a vote for imprisonment, in many new exciting and puzzling dungeons. ;)

12-11-2007 at 02:13 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Well, I've voted as well now, and we are currently joint third.

Come on people! If you really like DROD so much, you'll help Caravel out on this!

12-11-2007 at 03:47 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Good news guys. We are now more popular than fashion [sic] cents.

I guess this means we'll all be walking around in grey pants and yellow jumpers shortly. ;)
12-12-2007 at 12:39 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I was about to register, then thought.. hang on.. clicked lost password, entered my details, and indeed, I did sign up to vote last time :D

Voted.
12-12-2007 at 01:11 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I scoped out a bit of our competition. Do yourselves a favor, and never EVER attempt to play Fashion Cents Deluxe without stapling yourself to the mast of a ship and filling your housemates' ears with wax so they don't hear the sound of your vomiting your intestines out.

The graphics? It's a dress-up game. Same "models" with different hair colors and skin tones for diversity.

There are three screens in the main game. That's it. Title, selection, and main game. It consists of moving articles of clothing to one of the poorly drawn models. It's uno with many colors and multiple "stacks". The gameplay is click, drag, place, repeat.

There is no thought involved. It's either "I can do this, so I will" or "I can't do this, so I won't."

Voices are...think obnoxious rich valley girl stereotype voice. Now have it talking about clothes. If there was a function to make my letters squiggly, I would be using it right now to say "ick".

Music is semi-Katamari-ish, in that it's sorta catchy...but it's just one song over and over in the demo version. There's no way I'd ever be buying the game.

Do us all a favor. Defeat this monstrosity. I don't even care if you vote for DROD (actually, I do, but still). Vote for NOT THIS.

--First Delver.

12-12-2007 at 02:13 AM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I just noticed that Aveyond is made by RPG maker.
12-12-2007 at 03:05 AM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
zex20913 wrote:
I scoped out a bit of our competition. Do yourselves a favor, and never EVER attempt to play Fashion Cents Deluxe without stapling yourself to the mast of a ship and filling your housemates' ears with wax so they don't hear the sound of your vomiting your intestines out. (etc.)
It sounds so bad, it's almost making me want to play it. But not quite.

Anyway, just spent some enjoyable time playing Bloxorz, Yin Yang, and Fold. All of which I found through Midnight Synergy Games. I was also checking out the competition (Wonderland Adventures), which I haven't even played yet. Got seduced by the brower games.

BbJ

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 12-12-2007 05:02 AM]
12-12-2007 at 05:01 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Vote for your 2007 indie Game of the Year! (+2)  
bflatjeff wrote:
I was also checking out the competition (Wonderland Adventures), which I haven't even played yet. Got seduced by the brower games.

BbJ

I played the demo of Wonderland Adventures. I felt it was a competant game, but not quite interesting enough for me to pay for it. I may have well felt differently if I was (or had) a young child.

As for Aveyond, it is on my "to try" list. I played the free prequel (Ahriman's Prophecy) for a while and enjoyed it a lot, though I didn't finish it. Note that the game in the competition is actually Aveyond 2, so I think I won't get to it for a while.

In case anyone is curious, here are my opinions of the other games on that list that I played:

Aquaria is excellent - I'm playing it now, and I'd be happy if it won (though not nearly as happy as if DROD won). Chocolate Castle is a pretty good puzzle game. Worth buying, but not my choice for best in the year. Knytt stories is a complicated case - on the one hand, it's really original and wonderful. However, it's mostly about user-created content, and I think if you consider the quality of user-based content as a criteria, then DROD has no competition here at all. Prof. Fitwizzle and the moltern mystery is a decent sequel but doesn't really add much to the original game, which I felt was a bit overrated to begin with. Sam & Max is great. I just don't think it's an indie game - it may not be by one of the big distributers, but it certainly had a big boy's budget.

And that's it - didn't play any of the rest.

[Last edited by eytanz at 12-12-2007 02:22 PM]
12-12-2007 at 08:11 AM
Dex Stewart
mrimer wrote:
The poll will run until December 28th.

I just realized... it would be such a great B-Day present if DROD won :D.
12-12-2007 at 12:41 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
roach strangler wrote:
I just noticed that Aveyond is made by RPG maker.
Oh yeah, so it does. I have most of those RPG Maker XP graphics on my version of it. Can Aveyond possibly be eligible if it's using someone else's engine?

12-12-2007 at 02:13 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I guess so... Much like using the Torque engine for Marble Blast for example.
12-12-2007 at 02:15 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Only 14 to go... :w00t

12-12-2007 at 04:16 PM
ErikH2000
At this point, Aveyond 2 has jumped to first, and Wonderland Adventures is the next game for us to overtake to reach 2nd place. Our 3rd place status has solidified with Fashion Cents dropping behind us. Winning the poll is quite possible for us.

Please, do not sign up for multiple accounts on GameTunnel to get extra votes.

-Erik

12-12-2007 at 05:23 PM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Vote for your 2007 indie Game of the Year! (at GameTunnel)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com