Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Limited Resources Contest (Our contest for January '06)
<<3456
Page 7 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Resources Contest (0)  
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
One important thing : If you transform a NPC into a monster it also counts as this monster.
Wait a second. I guess I must have missed this first time round, and didn't actually realise it yesterday when I was building.

Does a "turn into monster" script line not count as a standard script line? The reason I ask is that I have three puzzles requiring a character turned into a monster, and from this statement, this pretty much disqualifies the hold. In that case, could I still submit it (or release it separately) and get contest participation credit, since I did actually try to get something in on time?

01-26-2006 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
I don't find MeckMeck's e-mailadress,
and using the forum-mail function, I don't know how to link my hold :blush

any help please? :blush

01-26-2006 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Limited Resources Contest (+1)  
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Send me your hold (Anyone Edit permission) via
E-Mail to daniel.blochinger@vr-web.de

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-26-2006 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Oneiromancer wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Send me your hold (Anyone Edit permission) via
E-Mail to daniel.blochinger@vr-web.de

Game on,

D'oh, I "must" overlooked it. :blush

Thanks

01-26-2006 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2462
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
The deadline is when I come from school tomorrow (in about 25 hours)

hmmm... about...

Local Time:01-27-2006 at 12:30 PM
negative 960 weeks, 3 days

that seems to match. :cool
01-26-2006 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
agaricus5 wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
One important thing : If you transform a NPC into a monster it also counts as this monster.
Wait a second. I guess I must have missed this first time round, and didn't actually realise it yesterday when I was building.

Does a "turn into monster" script line not count as a standard script line? The reason I ask is that I have three puzzles requiring a character turned into a monster, and from this statement, this pretty much disqualifies the hold. In that case, could I still submit it (or release it separately) and get contest participation credit, since I did actually try to get something in on time?

You only need 6 puzzles to qualify so why not move 3 of your monsters from another room, or just trim off those problem rooms if you have enough already. We would love to see your work. (You can always add those rooms back into another hold you build.) Small holds are OK I think cuz we all are tight on time and may not have time to play really big submissions.

Please don't give up just yet, there is still time.

01-27-2006 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
techant wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:

You only need 6 puzzles to qualify so why not move 3 of your monsters from another room, or just trim off those problem rooms if you have enough already.
That's an interesting idea, but the only problem is that if I do that, I'll end up with 3 almost empty rooms (I struggled to make 6 rooms even with character help), and from what happened last time, that's not very desirable as people don't appear to like filler rooms in limited resources contests. I guess, however, I could try remaking one or two puzzles and maybe releasing a version with the old puzzles in (or I could just release it anyway and let people look at it in parallel with the other entries).

We would love to see your work.
Thanks - that's quite encouraging.

(You can always add those rooms back into another hold you build.) Small holds are OK I think cuz we all are tight on time and may not have time to play really big submissions.

Please don't give up just yet, there is still time.
I guess there is.

Daniel, I'll attempt to send you what I've got, and I'll leave it to you to decide what to do with it. I have to go to school tomorrow, so I may not be able to send it by 17:00 GMT (or 22:00 if I end up having orchestral rehearsals), so I apologise for the delays, and hope you'll be patient with me.

Rabscuttle wrote:
hmmm... about...

01-27-2006 12:30
12 hours

that seems to match. :cool
Isn't Daniel in a different time zone (Germany/somewhere in Central/Eastern Europe)? If so, then he'd be 3-4 hours ahead of GMT, which would then give a reasonable school finishing time.

01-27-2006 at 01:43 AM
Rabscuttle
I'm using untiltime and localtime, and setting it so it's ~25 hours after the time of his post. (give or take seven minutes)

It's correct for me, so I think it should be correct for everyone.

edit: quote above doesn't use untiltime, so I'm reinserting it to prevent confusion

Local Time:01-27-2006 at 12:30 PM
negative 960 weeks, 3 days

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-27-2006 03:07 AM]
01-27-2006 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
There. Just under the wire, perhaps, and the last room was a little bit of "well, I've got these leftovers, might as well put 'em in here", but at least it's done, right?
01-27-2006 at 09:20 AM
techant
Tahnan wrote:
There. Just under the wire, perhaps, and the last room was a little bit of "well, I've got these leftovers, might as well put 'em in here", but at least it's done, right?

Yeah and that will probably turn out to be the best room :lol

Amazing Contest Discription:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 05:40 AM]
01-27-2006 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3635
ONLY... uhm.. let's see here... oh whatever... MANY HOURS LEFT!

01-27-2006 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Tahnan wrote:

Great minds think alike. :)

One final play-through and recount and off it goes.
01-27-2006 at 11:40 AM
robin
It's the first time I design a hold,
I only have 1 room and it's not that hard,
but I hope it's fun playing,
after the contest,
I'm going to post it in the architecture forum,
to get some commands and tips

01-27-2006 at 11:47 AM
Chaco
One room?!? With all that stuff?

01-27-2006 at 11:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Ill extend the deadline a little because I haven´t the dungeons of Coppro, Leus, Sim, ForrestFire, Yider
01-27-2006 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
Apparently, coppro has quit the contest, much to the dismay of coppro's fan club.

01-27-2006 at 02:08 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3238
icon Re: Limited Resources Contest (+2)  
Well, it was the deadline and everyone knew it. They should've sent their entries in before that. Waiting might not even help, because some of them may not be sending their entries at all. And they still could post them later in the forum if they missed the deadline for some reason.

Also, "a little" is very unaccurate term. A day? Three?
01-27-2006 at 02:26 PM
Chaco
I am generally in agreement with Doom. The deadline was posted on the very first day, and they should have planned around that.

01-27-2006 at 03:34 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I agree too. They knew they had to hurry, for hell's sake! Why do you want to wait for them: the easiest thing to do is disqualifying them!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-27-2006 at 03:35 PM
Chaco
Why did somebody give us rank points for agreeing with Doom?!? :-O

01-27-2006 at 03:47 PM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I voice a strained concurrence to Doom's post. Heaven knows that there were factors that prevented people from getting the holds in on time, and I would very much like to see those holds. Even if they aren't submitted in the contest, maybe they could be secret levels in the compilation or something like that.

I basically "acree" with Doom, if not for the same reasons.

Wait: I didn't see Chaco's post! I'm innocent. Quick, someone martyr me with a negative mod! (Well, I still agree with Doom...:devil )

[Last edited by Swivel at 01-27-2006 03:53 PM]
01-27-2006 at 03:49 PM
Chaco
I restate my opinion that I agree with Doom.

EDIT:

Drat.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-27-2006 05:21 PM]
01-27-2006 at 04:54 PM
Dali
Rank Points: 174
Well I don't agree much with all you people.
If one of these people who hasn't sent their entry want to participate, we must let them. Maybe they can be one of the 3 best hold or even win.
In addition, remember that we haven't much time to build our hold (like me) because they could have other important occupations or whatever.

Btw, How much we had time first? I think 6 days, because bartering ended 21st and the poll of this contest (should be) today (27th)
I suggest that we add for them only 2 days.
And the vote...maybe 5-7 Days.

01-27-2006 at 04:55 PM
Doom
Dali wrote:
Btw, How much we had time first? I think 6 days, because bartering ended 21st and the poll of this contest (should be) today (27th)
Who said you should begin to build the hold after the bartering ended?

I began to build my hold on the 8th. I kept buying/selling things and building the hold slowly during the next few weeks and finished the hold about 3 or 4 days before the bartering was over. Then I bought some extra obstacles and script lines with my leftover money, made some final tweaks and sent the hold to Meckmeck on the 22nd. I didn't need to hurry at all, and I could do everything not DROD-related just fine.
And the vote...maybe 5-7 Days.
I don't think this is enough. Remember, we're talking about playing through +-100 rooms and then giving them scores. 5 days would be just crazy. Especially, if you have those other important occupations or something else...

I think that voting time of 2 weeks shouldn't be too much.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-27-2006 06:19 PM]
01-27-2006 at 05:30 PM
Chaco
Yeah. I mean, I made three (albeit small) levels, and I didn't even use everything. Each entry is going to have several rooms, and there are a lot of entries, so...

01-27-2006 at 05:40 PM
Dali
Rank Points: 174
Doom wrote:
Dali wrote:
5 days would be just crazy. Especially, if you have those other important occupations...

You're pretty right, but at least you could say that by another way instead of quoting my reply, with irony. :closedeyes
That means people go to school, to work,...
01-27-2006 at 06:05 PM
Doom
Of course. Everyone has some obligatory waste of free time.

That's exactly what I meant. If you think that people don't have time to build a hold in 6 days, because they'll need to go to school or work, how could they possibly play through (at the moment) ~15 holds in the same time while they still have all of those same limitations.
01-27-2006 at 06:17 PM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
...I sent my hold several days ago!
Sent it to daniel.blochinger[at]vr-web.de (without the [at] :P)
Maybe it was caught by a spam filter or something- I'll resend it, but it'd be a shame to be disqualified.
01-27-2006 at 09:22 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Erm...

Just in the interest of future career advice, let it be told that life is based on deadlines. If I miss mine, I get sacked, and wind up living on a bench.

So come on... stick to them, or wait another month and try again. At least your income doesn't depend on it. To put it otherwise, the challenge lies in (not only) the build, but also juggling your life commitments with the deadline.

Give me a year, and I could probably win this... :|
01-27-2006 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Dali wrote:
Well I don't agree much with all you people.
If one of these people who hasn't sent their entry want to participate, we must let them. Maybe they can be one of the 3 best hold or even win.

While it is very nice of you and MeckMeck to want to give a little more time to those who haven't finished yet, I have to agree with the others who say we had a well published deadline. Most contests have accecpted late entries if they arrive before the poll gets posted but waiting for them and not posting the poll only encourages others to be sloppy in other contest.

I am sure your teachers/work have deadlines and you have to meet those. While this is just for fun, the dealines were part of the contest.

I had a very busy month work wise this contest and if I had missed the deadline because of work that would have been just the way it worked out. Actually I finished early on the 22nd and sent in my entry early so that I wouldn't have to worry, and I could concentrate on my work. I also started building my hold from the beginning.

Because this contest is worldwide and we all come from various cultures with different ways of doing things, I think it is all the more important we stick to the rules as stated and if need be the rules should be adjusted, in the future.

Sim wrote:
...I sent my hold several days ago!
Sent it to daniel.blochinger[at]vr-web.de (without the [at] :P)
Maybe it was caught by a spam filter or something- I'll resend it, but it'd be a shame to be disqualified.

I agree you should not be disqualified, I know how that feels last month I didn't get posted in the poll, it was not intentional and I am fine with how everyone handled it but this contest had a lot more work involved. I sent mine in twice then PM'd and emailed a request for verification of MeckMeck getting it. You sent yours on time so it should be posted.

Sorry that I have been so long winded on the subject. :blush

[Last edited by techant at 01-27-2006 10:09 PM : Added Sim comments]
01-27-2006 at 09:54 PM
<<3456
Page 7 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Limited Resources Contest (Our contest for January '06)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com