Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD Prime (Adventure)
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (48 votes)
σ 2.13
Author Name:geomatrx
Submitted By:geomatrx
Hold Name:MetDROiD Prime
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:15
Number of Rooms:203
Number of Monsters:1955
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:22 (+22 / -0)
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (+1)  
I just finished this hold.

Excellently done! I was very impressed at how different it feels from your average DROD hold.

Haven't yet mastered it -- there are a huge number of secret rooms, and I've managed to beat every one I could find save one.

But I still have seven that I haven't even managed to find.

Anyway.

I give this hold an 8 rating, and 5 brains. It's not too difficult (although the final few rooms are pretty tough).

Mostly it's exploration-based.

Josh

12-13-2006 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (0)  
OK, I apologize if I'm being as stupid as I feel, but:

The spaceship tells me that the Ice Beam is in
Click here to view the secret text
. Now, I can get to the room just north of that one, but there's a blue guy blocking my progress south; there're plenty of Special Tiles over to the left side of the room, but one of them is asking for the Ice Beam code, and the whole point is that I don't have it.

Is there some way to get south that I'm just plain not seeing?
12-15-2006 at 09:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Well, in CR3N6E, there is also a special tile asking for the wave beam.

Does that trigger off anything in the room?

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
12-15-2006 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh fer cryin'... Yes, I feel stupid now. I somehow saw the three beams and just parsed it as "three things I don't have yet". Thanks!
12-15-2006 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Knaight wrote:
How Do you get the codes to work. I keep entering the missile launcher code, but the statue wont move. And I go to the colored tile between each number. I have a Mac, does this make a difference?

It shouldn't make a difference. The important thing to remember is that the whole sequence resets whenever you enter or restart a room. Once you've made a wrong step, you need to restart or reenter the room.

So you need to execute the code as soon as you step on the center square.

So if your code is '1234', you:

1) step onto center square.
2) go NE, SW (1)
3) go E, W (2)
4) go SE, NW (3)
5) go S, N (4)

at which point it should unlock for you.

Josh

01-04-2007 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Knaight
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Never Mind, I got it working right after I posted. But I found an Error. If you are in the Chozo Ruins, Thrice North then go east into the secret room, you get stuck coming back.
01-05-2007 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Knaight
Never Mind, Just found way out, blatantly simple.
01-05-2007 at 06:33 PM
Knaight
I really liked the hold so far, though it was tedious. Also it would be nice if in the room south of the x-ray visor, the chozo ghosts became visible. Also in some of the impact crater rooms, when fighting prime, a green door would have been better than a black. Namely quince north. I keep getting two tar balls and the dumb door wont open. Anyone else having this problem.

[Last edited by Knaight at 01-16-2007 11:01 PM]
01-16-2007 at 10:57 PM
Azsedcf
Rank Points: 27
Great hold. However, I am stuck.

Just a hint would be appreciated.

The thing is that I keep track of which statue needs which code. It makes it a lot easer when you have to backtrack.

Thanks in advance.
01-25-2007 at 12:14 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3625
If you have the Varia Suit, you can go into the Magmoor Caverns and through it. There is a portal to the Phendrana Drifts at the other end of this new area.

01-25-2007 at 12:17 PM
Azsedcf
Ok, 2S of Magmoor Caves

So I assume the Lower Left is the exit out of the room I need. So how the heck do I get over there? No matter what I do, I don't have the Grapple Beam, so I can not exit out that exit. I even tried coming at the tile both different ways.

Thanks for your time and help.
01-25-2007 at 12:32 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
On your first visit to Magmoor caverns 2S, you need to go to 3S. You can do so without any codes.

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-25-2007 01:10 PM]
01-25-2007 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Azsedcf
Oh.....OH!
:selftwak
I keep forgetting you can get past rock piles that way.

Thanks!
01-25-2007 at 12:52 PM
Illusionary
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Great hold! I've just finished it, but was wondering if anyone could help me find the last 2 secrets so I can master it. I'm missing one in each of Phendrana Drifts and Phazon Mines; so far, I've found:

Phendrana Drifts:

Phazon Mines:

Thanks for any help :) - I've been searching for ages and just can't seem to find them!
03-20-2007 at 09:50 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (+2)  
Illusionary, remember that you may need to search in rooms even where you've seen all four adjacent rooms.

Take a closer look at:
Phendrana Drifts:

Phazon Mines:

03-20-2007 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionary
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Thank you! :D Those were craftily hidden, particularly in the mines.
Now time for the original MetDROiD, as I've ended up playing these in reverse order for some perverse reason :)
03-20-2007 at 10:53 PM
Judi
Rank Points: 17
Please, please can someone help me out. I can't post this to the hints forum because I can't select the room I am having problems with so hope it is OK to post here. I am trying to find how to get into 2S1W on Phendrana Drifts, it is the last secret room to conquer on this level, could someone please tell me how to get there, I have gone all around 2S and rooms around where it is but just can't find the entrance, found 2S1E but not this one. Thanks very much.
Judi
07-18-2007 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170

07-18-2007 at 06:36 AM
Judi
Rank Points: 17
Thank you CuriousShy Rabbit, once again you came to my rescue, I feel such an idiot when it is so obvious, thankyou. - Judi
07-19-2007 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
So have you began on MetDROiD 3.0 yet?
:)

07-24-2007 at 04:21 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
golfrman wrote:
That would be MetDROiD Echoes. And it is out, but you can't play it till 3.1 comes out due to backward incompatibility.

07-24-2007 at 04:25 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
And the real version of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption comes out in less than a month! :D I'm excited!
07-24-2007 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
Jatopian wrote:
golfrman wrote:
That would be MetDROiD Echoes. And it is out, but you can't play it till 3.1 comes out due to backward incompatibility.
3.0 as in for drod 3.0

07-24-2007 at 03:28 PM
spudsfan
Rank Points: 22
I'm still working my way through (and enjoying it a lot), but since I'm here, one thing that does bother me somewhat are the rooms in the Eastern part of the Tallon Overworld with all of the no-diagonal movement spaces on everything.

To quote Vaarsuvius, "Sweet Merciful Gods, my poor useless eyes!"

[Last edited by spudsfan at 07-26-2007 06:17 PM]
07-26-2007 at 06:16 PM
spudsfan
Rank Points: 22
I just want to thank you for not using Impact Crater (Beta) in the official hold. I'm on the last room and am getting afraid I might start attacking my computer in a couple more days. It's not that I don't know what to do - I have it all worked out in theory, it's the execution that's screwing it up. (I actually cleared everything before the checkpoint once, but I had stupidly left a trapdoor behind, so I know my path will work.)

Edited to add: Oops, I had read through the thread but missed that it was unsolvable, or at least I thought you fixed it. But I don't care, I got to the checkpoint, I already did the rest of it. :thumbsup

[Last edited by spudsfan at 08-03-2007 04:57 AM]
08-02-2007 at 05:01 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (+2)  
I've been waiting a long time to review this hold.

I started playing it months ago but just took it a little bit at a time, savouring it. I am a big fan of the Metroid Series and Metroid Prime is definitely one of my favourite games of all time, and the DROD version doesn't disappoint.

The atmosphere created was perfect, from the Chozo Ruins to the Phazon mines, the level of detail worked into each room, the floor, the walls, it was all just perfect. Scripting was done well and the code system works nicely, far better than the gates in Metroid AE.

Using the Secret Rooms to house bonus material was a stroke of genius and the secret rooms were not repetitive or boring.

Boss battles were exceptionally well-done, there was a sense of urgency and I could almost hear the battle music in my head.

The rooms were actually recognizable as rooms from Metroid Prime and a huge amount of effort was put into recreating the story. That alone makes it outstanding.

Now for my quibbles (and why it didn't rate a perfect 10 from me):
The numbering system for the codes was odd. I understand running clockwise but it seems like it would have been far nicer to map it to the num pad. I don't know how many times I got to a statue and managed to start off with the wrong sequence just because I was thinking "1" was in the lower left instead of the upper right.

Checkpoints. Man, I know that save stations are in certain locations in Metroid Prime but I would have gladly given up that bit of replication. There are certain things that work well in a console game that don't in DROD.

Rooms. Some of the rooms were too big. The disadvantage in DROD is that each room must be the same size, whereas in Metroid Prime, the room could be enormous or small. Combining several normal rooms into one DROD room might have made things seem a little less sprawling.

Map/Names. When hunting down the artifacts I was thankful I'd found most of them before beginning the hunt because the hints, while they work well in the game where the rooms are named accordingly, don't work well in DROD, where it only says "once west". I had to look a couple up online to see which region the artifact was supposed to be in.

But all in all, excellent, excellent hold. Probably my favourite user-made hold to date. It's not hard but it is long. Some parts are tedious but manageable, but the replication of actual game to DROD elements is impressive. Well done sir, well done.

12-04-2011 at 09:07 PM
komachi
Rank Points: 158
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (+3)  
Well, i finished the hold. I've play this hold long time ago, but never finished it. And today i've done it.
Really liked it, i search a guide for the equipement of Samus and it worked perfectly except that the wavebuster comes before that the ice beam.
Also miss one checkpoint in some rooms as the meta-ridley room, but i suppose that was part of the hold.
The hardest room was a secret room in phazon mines.
I dont know exactly how work, but in the essence of metroid prime, if you manage to kill the tar mother the goblins not appear, dont know if was unintended because only kill 4 goblin of 14 or 16 that are.

Finally mastered the hold was lots of fun and some challenging rooms. I give 6 brains and 8 of fun.

08-26-2012 at 09:10 PM
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD Prime (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com