Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (skell's amazing creation)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (+2)  
You've probably seen the buttons at the top of the forum, it's DROD Online! Play DROD simultaneously with a friend! All you need is to be registered to the forum.

While somebody has already posted a thread in Forum Games, it's hard to spot with the title and people don't frequent that forum, so I figured a thread would be seen more easily here.

Of course, you need a second player online at the same time, so organise meetups in this thread, or use it to tell skell that he's brilliant because DROD Online is incredible.

For those who have played it already, there was an update today. A whole load of new rooms, bringing the total to 31. A mixture of simple concepts, tricky hordes, devious lynchpins and cooperative manipulation.

Current room list (when the bar was at 80%) to help you tell what room you're missing on your highscores:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 04-07-2018 10:36 PM]
04-02-2018 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (+1)  
Skell's brilliant because DROD Online is incredible. :yes:thumbsup

04-02-2018 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
If you'd like to make your own rooms, then just build a room in the Level Editor in DROD as you normally would, with a playing area of 18x18 (that's a total of 20x20 if you include walls).

At the moment, you can only use the following elements:
-Walls
-Floor
-Pit
-Roaches
-Roach Queens
-Single use, single tile pressure plates
-Yellow doors
-Evil eyes
-Arrows
-Trapdoors
-Red Doors
-Wubbas (thanks Noah)

Oh and also, Skell is brilliant because DROD online is incredible! (seriously, he only whipped it up in a handful of days and it is awesome!)

Edit: Post clash with skell but I'll leave this here to show my appreciation!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 04-03-2018 08:29 AM]
04-02-2018 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: DROD_Online_Rooms_Template_v2.hold (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (+20)  
It was supposed to go in a dedicated thread but SOMEONE decided to be frist :~(

Two years ago Caravel forum was invaded by Empire on April Fools and everyone was given an ambitious job like 128th Adder Fodder or 714th Firetrap Fire Trap Firetrap Bomb Polisher.

A year ago the joke was that there was no joke.

This year it's DROD: Online, a multiplayer version of DROD. As you may imagine from the name, it's an online version of DROD and you can play with other people. Specifically one other person at the same time.

Now you may remember me saying on 29th "There won't be no joke this year sorry :(". You probably think I am a liar, how could I say tere will be nothing when I clearly knew I'll make online DROD? Well I am bragging here a bit but actually I didn't yet, but about 5 minutes later I came up with an idea to make an idle DROD, and 5 minutes after that I started working on what you can see right now. Three evening later the first version was released with help from Schik, who did the integration with the forum and navithmastero who did the first batch of rooms.

Let's talk about the important stuff.

What exactly is DROD: Online?

It's a DROD experience where you can play with another person online at the same time. You'll be playing carefully crafted rooms just for the game, together, using standard DROD ruleset. It's fun and really unique experience so give it a try, and if you have problems catching another player just leave it open in the background and when someone connects with you you'll hear a beep.

So is this the next big thing?

It is not. It's just a clever thing I made in spare time to impress people and see if I can pull it off. What's more, there is no long-term support planned, the server with the game is going to be online for the next 2 months or so and whatever will happen with it next is a big unknown. I'll keep updating it with new features from time to time and if you want something added just tell me about it and I'll see if I have time to implement it. If you want to make levels check out one of the sections below.

Whether this will serve as a springboard for something else I can't say but it's unlikely, due to dev team still being in scraps with no one having much free time to work on DROD, and without Mike to coordinate things...

Can I make my own rooms?

Sure. Attached to this post is a template hold file with information how to prepare rooms:

1. Import the hold file.
2. Change hold's description to be your name (Or however you want to be displayed as the author).
3. Check the entrance for information about how to work with it and which elements to use.
4. Put puzzles in the other rooms.
5. When you think you are ready remove all of the empty rooms and the help-file room, export the hold and send it to me privately.
6. Really. It's no fun if you give others a chance to spoil the rooms for themselves. Also it'll be more fun if 20 different people will send me 5 rooms each and no one will know anyone else made a room so suddenly there will be an update with gazillion new rooms.
7. If you send me rooms and they get released and you want to add more rooms please have those new rooms in a separate hold file. This will make it easier to ensure the rooms are not changed accidentally.

And how to test those rooms before you send them to me?

- You should try to solve the room in your head first. Rooms which are impossible to reason about in your head are not the greatest fit for DROD: Online due to players not being able to communicate most of the time. But solving it in your head is imperfect, so:
- Some slow paced rooms can be tested using clones.
- Action packed rooms can be tested a little with a stalwart - if you can do it with a stalwart you can do it with another player.
- Use a temporal clone.
- Often you can test sections of the room separately, sometimes it makes them harder but if they are still possible it's a good sign.
- Ultimately I try to test all of the rooms on my or with someone before the release.

Do you like bullet points?

- Yes I do.
- Source code will be made available at a later date.
- Yes, it was made in three days.
- Big thanks to kieranmillar who also made a lot of new levels in update 2 and 3, helped me with testing and was generally cool even though I had to go take care of my kid every about 7.31 second.

[Last edited by skell at 04-08-2018 10:14 AM]
04-02-2018 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (+2)  
I was so cagey about getting April-fooled that I actually checked the source code of the game before seriously trying it.

http://45.55.38.219:3000/js/game.js?v=3

Thought maybe the "Waiting for other player" message was coded to stay like that forever. And then I would ask about it, and some smart-ass would say "you just need to keep waiting. Someone will come along shortly."

Nice job on the reverse-April Fool's joke. This is the best kind--when an unexpected good thing is actually real. :)

-Erik

04-02-2018 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (0)  
navithmastero wrote:
At the moment, you can only use the following elements:
-Walls
-Floor
-Pit
-Roaches
-Roach Queens
-Single use, single tile pressure plates
-Yellow doors
-Evil eyes
-Arrows
-Trapdoors
-Red Doors
Don't forget about wubbas.

My stuff:

04-03-2018 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I mentioned this in chat but I'll mention it again here. Given that most of these rooms have a focus on coordination tar seems like a great element to integrate into this. You've got a buddy who can help with those 2x4 blobs.

04-03-2018 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Oh my, that is some entertainment. I was cracking up with laughter (and screaming 'Sorry' multiple times at the screen) playing with IQubic there. Brilliant, skell.
04-03-2018 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Thanks for the kind words :).

I've updated the info on how to make rooms. Scroll up or click here.

OK FINE

You can use tar in those rooms you send me. And black gates. But not mothers.

And if everyone sends me the variation on "did you know you can destroy 2x4 tar blob with two players" I am going to include all of them so tread carefully.

[Last edited by skell at 04-03-2018 09:03 AM]
04-03-2018 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Oh and don't expect another update before Friday, so if you want to make new rooms feel free to sit on them until at least Thursday and make moar and then send them to me :).

04-03-2018 at 01:17 PM
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
Why not including a chat ? sometimes players may need to communicate to solve rooms !

Otherwise this idea is so fun I enjoyed it :thumbsup
04-03-2018 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Dali wrote:
Why not including a chat ? sometimes players may need to communicate to solve rooms !
It's a good idea. Although there is some fun in figuring out what each other is doing without using chat.

-Erik

04-03-2018 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
ErikH2000 wrote:
Dali wrote:
It's a good idea. Although there is some fun in figuring out what each other is doing without using chat.

-Erik

I agree, but some rooms needs some precise coordination and doing tasks in order. Swapping is sometimes enough, but not always :p

Also, in the future some rooms will be eventually bigger and challenging for average skilled players.

04-04-2018 at 09:24 AM
skell
icon Re: DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (+6)  
A new version is up and it includes:
- Tar, black doors and tar babies
- Both players must survive for the level clear to be registered
- A button to auto complete a level which doesn't work for you because I have it only for testing but since it's cool I decided to talk about it
- A message no longer is put to chat each time anyone solves a room, you at most one message per person per hour + one message when everything is solved
- Emote system with an option to send custom emotes effectively enabling chatting
- Red open/closed gates placed next to each other no longer look weird (not that it was used previously)
- Evil Eyes no longer see through red gates (not that it was used either)
- A bunch of new rooms from kieranmillar, Xindaris, Doom, mauvebutterfly (in the order of submission)
- I restored one room that Nuntar liked which I removed beause hyperme didn't like it, except now it's totally different
- Something secret and cool

04-07-2018 at 10:49 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
How about a level select system, so that players don't have to gamble on what rooms they play. You pick a room, and the server starts looking for anyone else who wants to do that room.

04-08-2018 at 01:02 AM
Quaker
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
There is a bug with W button. Its working only while caps lock is pressed.
04-08-2018 at 01:51 AM
azb
Rank Points: 460
I have noticed that on my computer as well - Windows 10 Operating System, Microsoft Edge (default browser) as browser.

I don't know what OS and browser you have, though...

The same requirement exists for Q as well, and NumLock is required to input the numpad.

04-08-2018 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Quaker
I didn't have this problem with previous version (80%), but there is a little chance that I didn't use this key on 2 completed levels.

I have this problem in Windows 10, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.
04-08-2018 at 01:59 AM
azb
Rank Points: 460
While I am here - can I request checkpoints?

Some of the rooms are long and detailed and so a checkpoint would be convenient if undo is too hard to implement - although I'm not sure how difficult a checkpoint that stores two player positions at once would be difficult. By this, I mean if Player A hits a checkpoint, it saves both A and B's position if either wants to restart, even if B was not on a checkpoint themselves. Same deal with if B steps on a checkpoint without A at the same time.

04-08-2018 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Quaker
azb wrote:

Or unlimited undo. O:-

04-08-2018 at 02:06 AM
skell
First of all, go to this URL and input the keys that don't work for you in DROD Online, then PM me what you get. It wasn't changed in any way so if it worked before there is no reason for it to be broken now so I don't have any way to check.

Second of all, I added some more logic to investigate the issue some people have with not seeing some/new rooms.

I've updated the template file with new elements and more information how to prepare them correctly.

How about a level select system, so that players don't have to gamble on what rooms they play. You pick a room, and the server starts looking for anyone else who wants to do that room.
That's a huge interface change and it's unlikely it'll be done, sorry.

That shouldn't be very hard to implement, so I;ll consider adding it in some update maybe.

Undo is a bit more of an annoyance but maybe.

The main problem is that everything is very throwaway code, I intentionally didn't think about overall architecture and expandability so each new element or feature has geometric increase in complexity. Since it's a throwaway project :). Anyhow, next update will be coming maybe next week.

04-08-2018 at 10:14 AM
Quaker
KeyCode: 119, CharCode: 119, Key: 'w'
KeyCode: 87, CharCode: 87, Key: 'W'
04-08-2018 at 10:39 AM
Quaker
Server crashes every 5 minutes now. :(
04-08-2018 at 10:41 AM
Quaker
There is some rollbacks in highscores and I don't know about what kind of rooms was rollback. I think it's a good idea to add ingame field with information about status of room (complete or incomplete).

Swap button with no restart of level sometimes needs too. :rolleyes

[Last edited by Quaker at 04-08-2018 12:09 PM]
04-08-2018 at 12:07 PM
Quaker
I found new bug. Queen can stand on player. :-O
04-08-2018 at 03:52 PM
Quaker
Other report. When server crashes, highscores don't updates. I passed much of new rooms and only one passed in highscores. :unsure
04-08-2018 at 04:26 PM
rambomet
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23

File: bug.png (305.3 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
Quaker wrote:
I found new bug. Queen can stand on player. :-O
04-08-2018 at 04:38 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
If a roach queen ends up on top of a player, it should kill them, like what happens in regular DROD ;)

04-08-2018 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
davidatk100
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Nice job Skell. DROD Online is awesome. You've done an amazing job of the game. Great job to all the architects as well. All of the rooms I've played have been incredibly fun.:thumbsup

I'd like point out some features I really like:
-The 'ghost' projection of the next move. It's a really clever and well implemented feature.
-The buttons you use to ask your partner to move, turn or wait. Very useful but easy and simple.
-The user interface is really impressive. It's simple and easy to use. everything was easy to learn and use and I didn't feel like there was much missing
-The high scores. It's a nice, simple way to see who has completed which levels. I look forward to seeing my name at the top :smile

If you're interested, I would like to suggest some changes to make it even better than it already is:
-Include a chat log. I like the way chat is displayed, but if I'm not focused or away from the computer, I might miss something my partner says. I would find it useful if I could see a chat history.
-Having a list of rooms which show which ones have been completed by me and my partner and being able to select a room from that list would be awesome.
-Undo (even one) would be nice. It's a little frustrating to have to restart if we make a silly more. For example, my partner and I had to stab a Tar blob at the same time to remove it. Unfortunately we got mixed up and only one of us stabbed it and we had to restart. Checkpoints would also be nice
-Clicking on monsters or pressure plates like in normal DROD to see monster move order or how a pressure plate operates. This is only minor and may not be worth the effort to implement.

You've done an amazing job Skell. I look forward to seeing you and the architects in DROD Online. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Edit: I have opened in on a mobile (Chrome on Android) and it looks like it would work if there were some way to input moves (move, turn, wait, restart, new room, etc). Perhaps buttons on screen like the communication buttons already there. I don't know anything about coding but how hard could it be??? :bangin

[Last edited by davidatk100 at 04-10-2018 05:08 AM]
04-10-2018 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Quaker
Any progress? :dance2:
05-12-2018 at 09:42 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Online: 2-Player DROD! (skell's amazing creation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com