Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (order of operations bug)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged
icon Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (+1)  
When building a room in the room editor, if you place a potion on land and then try to build shallow water under the potion, you get the red highlight and the operation fails.

But, if you place the potion directly on shallow water, it places fine, and you can play the room fine, and the potion works normally.

So, I propose that you be allowed to build the shallow water underneath in the editor screen since there's no anomalous behavior to prevent here.

02-26-2017 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (0)  
That belongs to a much wider class of problems: for example, you can't place a keg on a broken wall directly but you can copy-paste it to make it work. Similarly, some floor tiles can't be placed on temporal tokens while you can do the opposite.
02-26-2017 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
I've fixed this particular editor placement issue and pushed it to my copy of DROD on git.

However, there are more editor placement issues, and it would be nice to gather them in one place. If you think there is a placement issue, please post it here.

06-07-2017 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Are there any other editor placement issues which are counter intuitive or prevent creating a valid room state?

10-14-2020 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Being able to place a gentryii head on top of a wall feels wrong but I guess isn't really an issue because Gentryii are invulnerable? Also being able to place a seep on top of a keg on top of a wall feels really weird, especially because, as far as I can tell, you can't create this room state in-game (i.e through pushing a keg on to a wall etc).

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-14-2020 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (+1)  
Seep on T-layer on wall: It's established that you can build T-Layer things under monsters.

I do think it's an exceptional case, though, and editor should not allow such placement by default because 9999 times out of 10000 you'd rather have the monsters around the bombs, kegs and mirrors. I think we should make seep have the same placement rules as other monsters in this specific case.

Gentryii head on walls: I think this comes from the fact you place their chains on a wall. But since we don't allow any other monster to be placed on top of a wall I'd say - change this so that head has to be one the floor. This would be consistent with the fact you can't build walls under monsters at all (though you can turn into monster on a wall).

10-14-2020 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Agree with everything you said here. The only thing I can think is that changing that Seep placement thing would break a room in one of Disoriented's Lunch Break hold, but I don't foresee it being something which breaks (m)any other rooms.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-14-2020 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
I imagine that wouldn't actually break anything, since it's not a game logic rule - it would probably even still work if you opened the hold in the editor. You just wouldn't be able to reproduce that setup without copying it or using scripting.
10-14-2020 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Tar Time: Halls of Goo 1N

I'm just mentioning this as an example of a room in a published hold that makes use of the editor in a way that is no longer allowed. It contains wraithwings on top of tarstuff.

I don't actually have an issue with the editor changing and pre-existing holds being allowed to remain despite no longer conforming to editor restrictions.

Of course, with scripting, you could still make a room with wraithwings on tar, or seep on powder kegs if you wanted to, and that's fine.

10-14-2020 at 05:08 PM
skell
Existing rooms won't be affected.

10-14-2020 at 05:18 PM
skell
icon Re: Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (+2)  
Gentryii and Seep changes done. PR

Please make a separate thread for any other editor placement you may find in the future!

10-15-2020 at 11:54 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (+1)  
Can confirm the following in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16:

- You can no longer place seep on top of kegs that are on walls
- You can no longer place a gentryii head on top of a wall
- You can now place shallow water directly underneath potions.
10-18-2020 at 11:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Editor: Can't place shallow water under potion (order of operations bug)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com