Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Official DROD Ideas Generator (Has DAA's Stamp of Approval)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Official DROD Ideas Generator (+5)  
Once upon I time I published a DROD Ideas Generator this evening. Before I say anything more, here is the link.

This funky tool will first and foremost allow you to generate quality rules for a potential room you could mean. And by quality I mean the effects of hard work of multiple people who worked on populating the database tirelessly for the last couple of days. But wait, there is more!

It is a growing database of all the elements in the game and their interactions which tries to be as accurate and as complete as possible, which can now be browsed to allow you too see how something works in the game. But wait, there is even more!

An ever-growing database of puzzle concepts where every registered forumite can submit their own concepts and vote on the existing ones! [Unfinished at the moment of writing, only moderators can add new content.]. And you'd think it's all but wait, I am not finished!

If you particularly like given concept you can find rooms where it is used. And if you know a room in a hold where one is used you can help others have fun by linking that room to a concept. [Functionality not yet available.] And golly, there is one more thing left!

Deeplinking to your roll, adding new ideas to a roll, removing and re-rolling ideas, advanced customizations to the generator and themed suggestions. All of this under one, tiny, even cute link. [All of these options are yet to come.]

Feel free to use this thread to make suggestions and report problems as well as in separate threads if you feel the need.

[Last edited by skell at 02-21-2015 12:08 PM]
02-17-2015 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Official DROD Ideas Generator (0)  
I'd like to publicly thank two people I felt I had the most support from during the development with their honest suggestions and critique: Moo and Nuntar. I'd also like to thank the people who worked real hard on populating the database: kieranmillar, hyperme, bomber50.

If I missed anyone slap me with a stick :).

02-17-2015 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Official DROD Ideas Generator (+1)  
You removed my addition of "your face" to the database! Why?

02-18-2015 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
I just rolled a few times and got "Brain can traverse shallow water" as an interaction.

That sounded weird to me, but I immediately checked and yes, you can push brains into shallow water and they won't sink. I did not know that.
02-18-2015 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
Thank you very much for this, I believe it's very useful when you are in a period of "lack of creativity"!

I searched a bit the wraithwing interactions and I think that something's missing (or maybe it wasn't added on purpose, I don't know):
Click here to view the secret text

02-18-2015 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Red-XIII wrote:

I searched a bit the wraithwing interactions and I think that something's missing (or maybe it wasn't added on purpose, I don't know):

This can also happen with a roach queen substituted for the wraithwing; it's a consequence of the fact that the player character isn't considered to be an obstacle square when monsters are choosing where to move.

02-18-2015 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Wait, what? Adders destroy briar?

Other than that, really interesting and looking good.
02-18-2015 at 03:01 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Someone Else wrote:
Wait, what? Adders destroy briar?

That sounds like a bug; adders can't eat briar of any kind or briar roots.

(But serpents of all types do block briar growth and won't get killed by it.)

02-18-2015 at 03:05 PM
Someone Else
OH! I get it. Man, you should add some mention that false is red. I did not get that at all. :P
02-18-2015 at 03:10 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Red-XIII wrote: I searched a bit the wraithwing interactions and I think that something's missing (or maybe it wasn't added on purpose, I don't know):
I've amended the "lone wraithwing will never attack" interaction to say "A lone wraithing near its target will not attack", and the "WW flees from Player" to "WW flees from [Attracts Monsters]", where the tag can select any of the entities that attract most monsters and repel WWs and queens.

I don't plan to add a separate interaction for the interaction between these interactions ;) -- it's a fringe case that's very difficult to build a puzzle around.

02-18-2015 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
A Concept would be the perfect solution here :)

02-18-2015 at 05:53 PM
skell
Just a quick note that in today's update these things were added:
- Linking to results of a roll; the URL in your browser's address bar is automatically updated
- Interaction browser which allows you to browse all interactions for a given element
- A bug in the interaction browser which makes it not display some interactions

02-21-2015 at 12:14 PM
Someone Else
skell wrote:
Just a quick note that in today's update these things were added:
- Linking to results of a roll; the URL in your browser's address bar is automatically updated
- Interaction browser which allows you to browse all interactions for a given element
- A bug feature in the interaction browser which makes it not display some interactions
That's about all I know about programming. :P
02-22-2015 at 03:47 AM
skell
Version 0.9.5 is up, and with it a lot of changes:
- Introduced a bug fixing "A bug feature in the interaction browser which makes it not display some interactions"
- Generator now has a number of options to tweak your results
- Options are included in the URL, so you can bookmark them or share
- Elements now have a plural form
- You can now make themed rolls

02-22-2015 at 09:49 PM
Dragon Fogel
Minor bug: The mouseover text for "Avoid stepping on certain tiles" has an error in it, it gets interrupted with "&qout;forbidden".

(if anyone hadn't noticed, there's mouseover text for the "Include this concept" results)

Edit: Also an issue with "Roach herding", it ends with "&qout;airlock"; this makes sense in context but it might be eating words after that? I'm guessing this is an issue with quote marks in the alt text.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 02-22-2015 11:13 PM]
02-22-2015 at 11:09 PM
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405
My brain has just encountered a major bug trying to parse
Arky-quality suggestion wrote:
Use this interaction against the player: Sword dying over Lightpost forms Halph.
Use this interaction against the player: Halph eats Mud Baby and grows.
Seriously though, this tool is super-neat! As soon as I get the image of Halph as John Carpenter's The Thing out of my head I shall try to make some rooms since now I've got a basis to work from. Previous attempts all concluded in me staring at an empty room and going "Hmmmm" a whole lot.
02-23-2015 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I was messing around with this and just got the result "Staff kills Temporal Projection". Which it doesn't, seeing as it doesn't kill anything. I did not have Arky-quality suggestions on.
03-05-2015 at 01:07 AM
Tamsk
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
A staff can easily kill a temporal projection, just not directly; apart from the obvious "push into pit/water/firetrap/etc" options, pushing it around can throw its move sequence out of synch with the monsters it was planning on fighting. Or you can push monsters in such a way that they go kill it where it was safe the first time round. Or push powder kegs onto where the projection's sword went. Or...
03-05-2015 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
True, but looking at the generator database shows that this is a special case of the interaction "[Deadly] kills [Attracts Monsters]", where the Staff has wrongly been given the attribute Deadly. I've fixed it now.

03-05-2015 at 02:23 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Official DROD Ideas Generator (Has DAA's Stamp of Approval)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com