Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Importing your TCB progress into DROD4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon Importing your TCB progress into DROD4 (+5)  
The last couple of days I've heard that there's some misunderstanding about player profiles between different versions. So here's my explanation how this player profile thing works:

A player profile is a combination of the player name you've entered on the first screen, and a timestamp (and perhaps other stuff, but I'm not a dev, so I don't know.).

This means that, for example, you can create a player called 'Tim' on your own computer, but you still can't edit my holds because your player file 'Tim' is not my player file 'Tim'.

That also means, that when you create a _new_ player on GatEB with the same name as in TCB, they are _not_ the same player file!

For most players that doesn't matter much, since they don't do any architecture, but if you made holds in TCB on a TCB player file, and you didn't copy that file to GatEB, you won't be able to edit your TCB holds :(

But anyway, it's always nice to have your TCB progress into GatEB, so I'm going to describe how you should do it:

A) If you don't have created a new player file yet in GatEB:

1) Go back to TCB, and export your player by selecting "Change Player" and save your file by pressing the "Export" button.
2) At the first screen, press the "Import" button, and import the saved file in 1.
3) If you have CaravelNet, then get a new CaravelNet key from the forum and use that in the game.
4) If you want all your progress, import all the hold you have progress with.
5) Import your player file again to get all your progress back.

B) If you've already created a new player in GatEB, but you'd rather use the old player from TCB instead (because your holds were made in TCB):

1) Rename your current player in GatEB into something different , to make sure this new one has a different name.
2) If you don't have any progress in GatEB or you don't mind playing again with your old player profile, then just proceed with part A)

3) Go back to TCB, and export your player by selecting "Change Player" and save your file by pressing the "Export" button.
3a) If you want all your progress, import all the hold you have progress with.
4) Import your old TCB player.
5) Select your "different name" player, and Select "Export Saves Only". Save this file somewhere.
5) Merge this file with your old TCB player. Select your old TCB player, then press "Import" and select the file in the previous point.

6) You can request a new CaravelNet key if you have CaravelNet.

PS. Always keep a backup copy of your player file! It's useful in case your DROD installation is doing something weird, you need that player file to edit your holds!

[Last edited by Tim at 04-02-2012 09:56 PM]
04-02-2012 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: Importing your TCB progress into DROD4 (+2)  
When re-install a DROD-game, I first create a player-file that I only use to install the game.

Example:
1) run the setup file
2) create player "test"
3) get a caravelnet key
4) download all holds I want/need
5) import my (most recent) player file
6) delete "test"-player
7) get another caravelnet key
8) install my favourite clock

04-02-2012 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Importing your TCB progress into DROD4 (0)  
Thanks, robin, I've merged some of your points into my post :)

04-02-2012 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tim wrote: 4) If you want all your progress, import all the hold you have progress with.
Are you kidding me. You want me to go redownload all that? Do you know how many holds I have progress in?

04-02-2012 at 11:07 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Jatopian wrote:
Tim wrote: 4) If you want all your progress, import all the hold you have progress with.
Are you kidding me. You want me to go redownload all that? Do you know how many holds I have progress in?

You don't have to do that right away - right now, my plan is just to use DROD TCB for most of my day-to-day building and playing of older holds, and use DROD GatEB for, well, GatEB, and any holds that get released for that.

I'll probably have to make that kind of migration at some point, but hopefully if I wait long enough there will be an easier solution.

04-02-2012 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: Importing your TCB progress into DROD4 (-1)  
04-02-2012 at 11:15 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Jatopian wrote:

I don't know if it's always been this way but I was dreading downloading all the holds manually. I decided to try selecting all the holds (shift + click) and hit "Download" and it downloaded them all. I just left it that way for an hour or two and came back and they were all there.

04-02-2012 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Even that isn't something I want to do because I don't want the low-rated holds sitting around in my hold list. I might accidentally play one. No way to tell them apart without consulting the online hold listing.

04-02-2012 at 11:40 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Importing your TCB progress into DROD4 (+1)  
You can sort holds by rating and shift+click only to the halfway.

It's still a CaravelNet-subscriber only solution though.
04-02-2012 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
Jatopian wrote:
Even that isn't something I want to do because I don't want the low-rated holds sitting around in my hold list. I might accidentally play one. No way to tell them apart without consulting the online hold listing.
Not quite as easy as selecting the entire list, but you can also ctrl-click to batch download just the holds you have in TCB. That's what I did.
04-03-2012 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
Doom wrote:

The non-subscriber solution is arguably easier, though it takes more forethought: just keep the .hold files around!

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

04-03-2012 at 12:57 AM
Jatopian
Doom wrote:

Conveniently, one gets some CaravelNet with the game purchase.

04-03-2012 at 01:23 AM
Jatopian
So uh. What do I do to preserve my progress in holds that aren't on CaravelNet, but are in fact on beta boards long ago deleted, to which I do not have export rights?

04-28-2012 at 04:28 AM
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
icon Re: Importing your TCB progress into DROD4 (-1)  
Keep TCB installed.

Official Hold Progress:

[Last edited by Keiya at 04-28-2012 08:06 AM]
04-28-2012 at 08:06 AM
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
Tim wrote:

B) If you've already created a new player in GatEB, but you'd rather use the old player from TCB instead (because your holds were made in TCB):

1) Rename your current player in GatEB into something different , to make sure this new one has a different name.

What does that mean? In "Change Player" there is no "Rename".

2) If you don't have any progress in GatEB or you don't mind playing again with your old player profile, then just proceed with part A)

3) Go back to TCB, and export your player by selecting "Change Player" and save your file by pressing the "Export" button.
3a) If you want all your progress, import all the hold you have progress with.
4) Import your old TCB player.
5) Select your "different name" player, and Select "Export Saves Only". Save this file somewhere.

You mean in Drod 4, don't you?

5) Merge this file with your old TCB player. Select your old TCB player, then press "Import" and select the file in the previous point.

6) You can request a new CaravelNet key if you have CaravelNet.

PS. Always keep a backup copy of your player file! It's useful in case your DROD installation is doing something weird, you need that player file to edit your holds!

adS

05-04-2012 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
adS wrote:
What does that mean? In "Change Player" there is no "Rename".
The name can be changed in “Settings”.

You mean in Drod 4, don't you?
I suppose yes.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):

05-05-2012 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Just a quick note on the player name... even if they are the same, they're considered as 2 different players. If you want to keep your player and progress etc you'll need to import a player file
05-05-2012 at 03:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Importing your TCB progress into DROD4
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com